PDA

View Full Version : What are the plus and minus for USM bringing in all these transfers?

Jack Lambert
08-04-2015, 11:29 AM
I would like to know your thoughts.

Bothrops
08-04-2015, 11:34 AM
What transfers?

archdog
08-04-2015, 11:39 AM
I would like to know your thoughts.

If I was building a team from practically nothing, in a league that Kentucky could win hands down, I would bring in a ton of 3 star guys from Juco to build the initial team.

I look at it this way. No one coming out of school would choose USM, unless they have zero offers from every where else. Now if you rely heavily on Juco transfers for a couple of years, start winning some games in their conference, maybe you start getting better high school players. Right now they have a huge talent gap due to their team being almost the worst team in D1. No way to turn that around in the short term unless you pull some transfers. Point blank, high school kids shouldn't even consider them unless they have no other offers.

Now how does this effect MSU? Hard to say, unless they pull a few transfers we need to fill gaps. I wish they would pull the QB's that Um have been relying on for over a decade. If they were to cut off their QB transfer pipeline, maybe just maybe Freeze and UM will actually have to play a high school kid at QB. Given their track record on slowly destroying their QB's potential, that could only mean good things for MSU.

Jack Lambert
08-04-2015, 12:08 PM
What transfers?

Andrew Bolton DT Kansas
Quincy Russell DT Oklahoma
Anthony SWain LB Auburn
Naim Mustafaa DE Miami
Justice Hayes RB Michingan
Tyler Matthews QB TCU

All will be playing next year and all only have one year to play.

FISHDAWG
08-04-2015, 12:35 PM
didn't Swain get kicked off the team @ AU ? ..... I wonder if these are problem players

CadaverDawg
08-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Monken needs to win some games as soon as possible. If that means bringing in a few one hit wonders for a year to get it done, I'm sure he'll take it. He was an idiot to take that job IMO. He must have looked back at what "had" been done there before, instead of what "can" be done there now.

I'm sure the pay increase looked great at the time, but he clearly missed the point where 3 years of pay increase may ruin his chances at ever being considered for a decent head coaching job.

EAVdog
08-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Because their program is basically on life support and they need to have an immediate turn around to keep it going. If they don't make a bowl this year then the fan support will drop from 10 to 0.

5 Star
08-04-2015, 01:00 PM
I think it tells you Monken is going all in to add talent now. It's hard to tell if he's taking these guys to fill holes, or simply because they are available. I would imagine this being year 3 and seeing improvement from year 1 to 2, he's probably just trying to add a little talent and get over the hump this year and get to a bowl.

If he's just trying to fill holes and avoid disaster, then he's about to get fired. That's a high risk, medium reward that often kills team chemistry.

Johnson85
08-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Andrew Bolton DT Kansas
Anthony SWain LB Auburn
Naim Mustafaa DE Miami
Tyler Matthews QB TCU

He was telling people before last year that this is the year they're going to take a step up and go bowling. So he's put some expectations that there. But if he can't get high school recruiting off the ground, this may be what he needs to get going. I think they have had trouble just getting a full team of CUSA level players together since he's been here. If he just gets five CUSA level players for a year to fill holes, that could be a big difference for them in conference.

BiscuitEater
08-04-2015, 02:02 PM

Bolton, Russell, Swain & Hayes have graduated and are eligible to play this year. Mustafaa is a RS SO & Matthews is a RS JR. *Two below are not listed on USM roster but it just may not have been updated.

My Opinion .. Russell admitted to being a 'cancer' at Oklahoma .. Swain was dismissed but knowing how Auburn operates, may have just been to make room .. Mustafaa has already been to two schools without playing a down .. Hayes could see that he wasn't going to be in the RB rotation at Michigan and just wants to play Div 1 for his final year .. Same with Matthews at TCU especially with the QB talent they are bringing in, except he has 2 years left. USM has some talented JC defensive players coming in this year and Monkon is working hard .. Game this year will be closer than '14 game.

Andrew Bolton DT Kansas
Injured from the outset of his KU career, Bolton never really materialized into the difference-maker many thought he would be coming out of Hinds Community College. Ranked by Rivals.com as a three-star prospect, Bolton chose Kansas over offers from Iowa, LSU and Mississippi State. Had 16 tackles & 1.5 sacks in 2014 at Kansas. Transferred to USM. Has graduated and should have 1 year of eligibility left but is not listed on current USM 2015 Roster.

Apparently, was kicked off the Oklahoma team. Posted on facebook .. "I didn't do nothing bro the [expletive] said I was a cancer to the team."
Played in 2 games for Sooners and had 3 tackle assists. Has graduated and is eligible for upcoming leason with 1 year of eligibility left but Is not listed on current USM 2015 Roster.

Anthony SWain LB Auburn
Was apparently dismissed from Auburn in 2014 for 'undisclosed reasons.' Swain spent most of his career as a backup and accumulated 18 tackles, including three for losses and one sack, during his junior season in 2014. Swain has graduated from Auburn and has one year of eligibility left. Is listed on current USM 2015 Roster as a transfer RS SR.

Naim Mustafaa DE Miami
4 Star that was committed to Georgia but signed with OK State. Participated in Spring drills then transferred to Miami where he sat out the 2013 season. Has not played in two years. Is listed on current USM 2015 Roster as RS SO and should have 3 years eligibility left.

Hayes mostly was used as a third-down back during Michigan's 5-7 season last fall. He had 48 carries for 213 yards, averaging 4.4 yards a carry but did not have a touchdown. Is listed on current USM 2015 Roster as a transfer RS SR.

Tyler Matthews QB TCU
Matthews appeared in only four games for TCU, failing to complete any of his three pass attempts. Transfered to USM and sat out last season. Matthews will have two years of eligibility remaining at USM. Is listed on current USM 2015 Roster as RS JR and should have 2 years of eligibility left.

More .. http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-news/2015/08/southern_mississippi_welcomes.html

BankerDog
08-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Local high school football coach I met last night had this to say about Southern Miss "I have coached 12 years. Pelahatchie, Canton, and now Murrah. In my twelve years I have seen ULL, ULM, La Tech, and Troy the most. Followed by MSU and OM. USM? They do not recruit MS. They will not go out and look for the players." Seems to go along with all the talent in MS that has left the past few years: Ralpahel Leonard, Darrell Henderson, Brady Davis just a few guys last year who didn't have USM offers. It's ridiculous. You can't tell me those guys or the guys this year like Lorenzo Dantzler or Julius Turner or Hal Northern or Jerrick Orr couldn't play at USM. They did it to theirselves though.

HancockCountyDog
08-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Local high school football coach I met last night had this to say about Southern Miss "I have coached 12 years. Pelahatchie, Canton, and now Murrah. In my twelve years I have seen ULL, ULM, La Tech, and Troy the most. Followed by MSU and OM. USM? They do not recruit MS. They will not go out and look for the players." Seems to go along with all the talent in MS that has left the past few years: Ralpahel Leonard, Darrell Henderson, Brady Davis just a few guys last year who didn't have USM offers. It's ridiculous. You can't tell me those guys or the guys this year like Lorenzo Dantzler or Julius Turner or Hal Northern or Jerrick Orr couldn't play at USM. They did it to theirselves though.

The fact that we have elevated our program nationally and the fact that the bears can't recruit in-state, should allow for USM to sign 18-20 kids in-state that are quality Power 5 athletes. Not top of the line power 5 teams, but the Cal's, Indiana, or Kentucky's of the power 5.

My guess is that there will be 15 guys sign with power 5 teams that don't sign with bears/MSU that USM should have tried to land, and another 25 that sign with ULM, ULL, USA, or Memphis that they just got outworked on.

MSUDawg4Life
08-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Should help them talent-wise. How they affect team chemistry remains to be seen.

1bigdawg
08-04-2015, 03:28 PM
I understand that they are very excited about Tyler Matthews at QB.