PDA

View Full Version : Is Dak Prescott really a Newton/Tebow type quarterback?

5 Star
08-04-2015, 10:29 AM
The picture of a leaner/quicker Dak in the other thread made me curious. We often see him compared to Tebow and Newton in the media, and for the most part, Mullen used him that way last year. But as we have seen, there is one big difference between Prescott and the others - he's more prone to injury. That's not an insult, because Tebow and Newton were damn near indestructible, they ran over and through SEC defenses all year (Tebow for 3 years) without injury (except to the other team's linebackers). Those guys were just freaks, bigger and stronger than Dak and everyone else.

Now, I have always thought that college athletes need to stick to their strengths, rather than do what they think the NFL wants them to do. So, in the past, I always figured for Dak that would be running first and foremost, similar to Tebow and Newton. BUT.....many have commented that Dak may be a better passer than Tebow, so it's conceivable that with all the data we have, perhaps Dak's strength isn't running people over, but rather more of an Alex Smith type guy? Or maybe in between Tebow and Smith?

I say all that to say - normally I wouldn't like the fact that Dak has come back leaner and seemingly getting away from what we all thought was his strength. But it may honestly be the best thing, considering the previous injuries and the fact that his passing is getting better every year. Plus, since we have 3 tailbacks and 3 other running quarterbacks, I'd like to see us use those guys as much as possible to shoulder some of the load.

ShotgunDawg
08-04-2015, 10:33 AM
People just say that because Dak is an SEC QB. He's most like McNabb

dawgs
08-04-2015, 10:45 AM
I would be 100% fine drastically cutting the number of QB powers we run. In the 2nd half of the season, dan got way too predictable relying on dak up the gut on 3rd and short. I don't mind it 1-2 times per game, but we were doing it 10+ times per game. Like in the Bama game, we started to look competent after dan finally gave up trying to run dak between the tackles and instead got the ball to guys in space on the edges. Once Bama figured out they had to cover sideline to sideline, it did open up between the tackles for a few runs. Unfortunately half the game was over by the time dan started making the adjustment.

I seen it dawg
08-04-2015, 11:21 AM
He's a fullback.

thf24
08-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Now, I have always thought that college athletes need to stick to their strengths, rather than do what they think the NFL wants them to do. So, in the past, I always figured for Dak that would be running first and foremost, similar to Tebow and Newton. BUT.....many have commented that Dak may be a better passer than Tebow, so it's conceivable that with all the data we have, perhaps Dak's strength isn't running people over, but rather more of an Alex Smith type guy? Or maybe in between Tebow and Smith?

Dak was a better passer than Tebow last year. This year it won't even be close. Although Mullen used him a lot like Tebow last year and probably still will this year to some degree, he's definitely a balance kind of QB at this point.

Saltydog
08-04-2015, 11:33 AM
Maybe that's just not in our game plan but we just don't do that enough IMO and he's got the ability to make some things happen on the roll out.

Dawgface
08-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Maybe that's just not in our game plan but we just don't do that enough IMO and he's got the ability to make some things happen on the roll out.

+1.

cheewgumm
08-04-2015, 11:58 AM
I think Mullen is trying to get DAK to be the # 1 QB taken. I know...duh. But I think Mullen thinks Dak has what it takes to be that, and wants to prove his coaching ability to coach a QB to this level. I also think Dak is going to throw for about 5k this year. I think he'll put up insane numbers and our offense is going to be ridiculously good. I'm think Dak, in total control of Mullen's offense, with better weapons is primed to be nasty.

If Dak is trying to lose weight and ends up faster...then I could see him having more long runs, but running less number of times, compared to last year. If Shumpert is lead blocking for a quicker Dak, then he is going to break some long runs. I do hope that he doesn't run as much as last year(because i don't want him to get hurt)...and I don't think he will.

Think about it, Dak has progressed pretty substantially every year. If he does that this year, it's going to be crazy.

5 Star
08-04-2015, 12:04 PM
I think Mullen is trying to get DAK to be the # 1 QB taken. I know...duh. But I think Mullen thinks Dak has what it takes to be that, and wants to prove his coaching ability to coach a QB to this level. I also think Dak is going to throw for about 5k this year. I think he'll put up insane numbers and our offense is going to be ridiculously good. I'm think Dak, in total control of Mullen's offense, with better weapons is primed to be nasty.

If Dak is trying to lose weight and ends up faster...then I could see him having more long runs, but running less number of times, compared to last year. If Shumpert is lead blocking for a quicker Dak, then he is going to break some long runs. I do hope that he doesn't run as much as last year(because i don't want him to get hurt)...and I don't think he will.

Think about it, Dak has progressed pretty substantially every year. If he does that this year, it's going to be crazy.
I just hope he learns to recognize that post/slant over the middle. I can still see Tubby running wide open on that route. That is one area where Tyler Russell shined - he always recognized that route and could hit it in stride.

5 Star
08-04-2015, 12:04 PM
I agree Saltydog. LSU and Arkansas do too.

JDog13
08-04-2015, 12:10 PM
How dare you try to lower Dak down to Scam and Tebow's level

BulldogBear
08-04-2015, 12:20 PM
This all day long!!!!

A program like ours that's just not gonna have a true stone wall to stand behind can never afford to go to some sort of pro style attack. Not that we are, but having to account for DP running is one major reason our offense is so potent. He needs to be moving more NOT less.

maroonmania
08-04-2015, 12:21 PM
I do remember Tebow having some issues with concussions and missed a game or two due to that.

BulldogBear
08-04-2015, 12:24 PM
He doesn't have to run as much as he has before, but they do have to be afraid that he will. If they're not, I'm afraid we are not really gonna be happy with the end results. Some of our most explosive games on offense are gonna be when teams have to commit to stopping the run and then we can annihilate them over the top.

ETA: 'Cause remember... DP has no one to throw to. SO, all they gotta do is stack the box right!!!!???? Please do that.

5 Star
08-04-2015, 12:29 PM
He needs to be moving more NOT less.
I agree. I remember cussing the daylights out of Croom because he simply refused to move Omarr Conner around. When he did, we got results. But he just wouldn't do it. I see glimpses of that with Mullen too, but not nearly to the extent.

When I talk about the movement I don't want.....that's more the Dak up the middle as a tailback type stuff. Sure keep them honest, but let's not just pound him over and over, he can't take it.

FISHDAWG
08-04-2015, 12:44 PM

+ 2

Saltydog
08-04-2015, 01:01 PM
was and Dak got outta the pocket and hit Lewis on that pass.

mstatefan91
08-04-2015, 01:04 PM
was and Dak got outta the pocket and hit Lewis on that pass.

Busted play. They thought they had Dak. Dak gets outside with the option to run. Both the CB and safety committed to stop Dak and left Jameon wide open.

5 Star
08-04-2015, 01:08 PM
It's still movement, and illustrates what he can do on the run. Same with the Fred Ross pass vs. Arkansas. That was my point.

Dawg496
08-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Busted play. They thought they had Dak. Dak gets outside with the option to run. Both the CB and safety committed to stop Dak and left Jameon wide open.

Exactly.. putting defenders in a position to have to make that decision is when we made our biggest plays. When Dak is on the move with an option to run or pass, we see great results, case in point those two plays.

the59dawg
08-04-2015, 01:42 PM
I do remember Tebow having some issues with concussions and missed a game or two due to that.

He didn't miss many games but his last season he was pretty banged up the last 4 or 5 games and it showed.

5 Star
08-04-2015, 01:45 PM
He didn't miss many games but his last season he was pretty banged up the last 4 or 5 games and it showed.
He also carried the team that year after Mullen bolted. But, not bad for a 3 year starter who trucked people the entire time.

drunkernhelldawg
08-04-2015, 03:37 PM
Great post. I think we need to play more straight up this season. I don't think we'll have the other team fooled very often.