PDA

View Full Version : JUCO vs. Prep School

HSVDawg
08-03-2015, 12:42 PM
The TD Moton news today got me thinking again about something I've always wondered about. When we have guys that don't qualify, what is the determining factors that decide whether they can go to JUCO or prep school? Why does a guy like Kivon Coman get a year at Hargrave and we get him back for 4 years, where Moton has to go JUCO? Is it strictly based on how far off a guy is from qualifying, or what? I know that prep school has high tuition rates, but surely there are scholarships and other means of getting around that.

I would think we would want guys in prep school whenever possible to preserve 2 years of eligibilty. However, it seems like our signees don't go that route very often. Why is that?

jumbo
08-03-2015, 12:47 PM
My guess would be it has to do with how close to qualifying you are.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-03-2015, 12:50 PM
My guess would be it has to do with how close to qualifying you are.

Yep. If you only have a couple classes you need to retake & get a higher grade or need to improve the ACT 1 or 2 composite points then Prep School is the way to go.

HSVDawg
08-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Yep. If you only have a couple classes you need to retake & get a higher grade or need to improve the ACT 1 or 2 composite points then Prep School is the way to go.

If that is the case then how come a guy like Moton (who was allegedly a letter grade in one class away from making it) has to go the JUCO route? Was he actually a lot farther off than guys like Paul and Steve were letting on? Bad information?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-03-2015, 01:04 PM
If that is the case then how come a guy like Moton (who was allegedly a letter grade in one class away from making it) has to go the JUCO route? Was he actually a lot farther off than guys like Paul and Steve were letting on? Bad information?

He's not enrolled in any Juco yet.

HSVDawg
08-03-2015, 01:12 PM
He's not enrolled in any Juco yet.

Maybe not, but its being reported by Steve R. and others that he's headed there. It looks bad for Steve either way. If he goes to Juco it means he was nowhere close to qualifying in spite of what he reported. If he goes to prep school, it means he inaccurately reported that he was going to Juco today.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Maybe not, but its being reported by Steve R. and others that he's headed there. It looks bad for Steve either way. If he goes to Juco it means he was nowhere close to qualifying in spite of what he reported. If he goes to prep school, it means he inaccurately reported that he was going to Juco today.

I agree.

scottycameron
08-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Ole Miss was famous for this crap under Orgeron and Nutt. They had more kids go those routes than anybody in the country. Nutt even got a juco rule named after him. Here is how I understood it back then: If one of their dumbass kids graduated from high school but was too dumb to qualify for college (gpa too low for his act)he had to go to Juco and had to graduate from Juco to get in OM. If another one of their dumbass kids didn't qualify but did not graduate from HS he could attend another year at hargraves and try to get his dumbass eligible for the next year. If a kid had all the courses in HS and the grades were high enough but his dumbass couldn't make over a 10 on the ACT then he could sit out and try to get eligible later. If he had a high enough gpa for his low ass act but didn't have all the core classes he could go to a fake online school created for dumbass kids like him to pick up the classes he was short.

I don't remember everything like I did back then but I think that was the jist of it. I haven't seen as many prep school kids for UNM lately, did they shut the loophole down, or what (I still see a lot of basketball).