PDA

View Full Version : If you are Dan Mullen

Todd4State
07-13-2013, 07:32 PM
How much do you let Tyler call the plays if at all? Tyler is a fifth year senior and I would imagine he might do a pretty decent job calling things that he is comfortable with. I would definitely have some restrictions on him- like third and fourth down should come from the coaching staff.

I would probably experiment with that during the Alcorn State game and see what happens.

landsharks
07-13-2013, 07:35 PM
I say give him some leniency when y'all are up big against auburn and Arkansas :p

msstate7
07-13-2013, 07:39 PM
I don't want anyone but Dan calling plays

Coach34
07-13-2013, 09:47 PM
You dont let Tyler call anything but checks vs specific defensive looks that were seen on film during the weeks prep. Thats all you let any veteran QB do

The QB doesnt ever call plays anymore-this isnt the 1970's...this is the age of "check with me's" and no-huddle

msstate7
07-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Speaking of play calling... Will les or Dan be calling plays this fall?

Coach34
07-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Speaking of play calling... Will les or Dan be calling plays this fall?

THAT is the biggest offensive question of the year for us

msstate7
07-13-2013, 10:05 PM
THAT is the biggest offensive question of the year for us

I think so too. Hope we don't have to start piss poor on offense for Dan to realize him calling offensive plays is much more important to us that coaching kick coverage

dawgoneyall
07-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Today not many QB's call the plays. Checks off, yes, but that is a situational call. I would trust him calling checkoffs.

Homedawg
07-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Today not many QB's call the plays. Checks off, yes, but that is a situational call. I would trust him calling checkoffs.

If he can't check off he can't play. And a check off of some degree occurs every play.

Todd4State
07-14-2013, 12:59 AM
You dont let Tyler call anything but checks vs specific defensive looks that were seen on film during the weeks prep. Thats all you let any veteran QB do

The QB doesnt ever call plays anymore-this isnt the 1970's...this is the age of "check with me's" and no-huddle

That was kind of what I was wondering- how much these coaches actually let the QB call vs. how much comes from the sideline.

And it also has me wondering about something else- I didn't notice from my seat in the stands Tyler making very many checks last year. Now, it may very well be that I didn't notice and it's a non-issue. But it does make me wonder if Tyler should maybe call more checks?

Technetium
07-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Don't we hear the "Dan will be calling the plays this year!" statement every season? Does anyone actually know the source of this year's version of the rumor? Are we certain Dan hasn't been calling the majority of the plays anyway?

Political Hack
07-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Les calls the plays. Not sure about this year.

And of course QBs check at the line. That's like saying OL block. Dan let Relf call the inal play at Auburn a couple of years ago. Option left... with no timeouts and 2 plays left.