PDA

View Full Version : Should state go the Juco route for kickers more often?

BayouDawg
08-02-2015, 11:32 PM
I remember when I was at Co-Lin a few years ago I would go to all the home football games. It seemed like a lot of the schools Co-Lin played usually had good kickers. Mostly teams like Jones, gulf coast, pearl river, and EMCC always had good kickers. Do yal think recruiting out of the juco ranks would be a better strategy than we have now?

MSUDawg4Life
08-03-2015, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure that's the answer. A lot of teams get good kickers from high school.

Devon Bell, a high school recruit, can kick. He has the talent and ability to do it. His challenge has been mental.

I would like to see us have a dedicated special teams coach.

Todd4State
08-03-2015, 01:09 AM
I agree about a dedicated special teams coach. We had Breauchle from the JUCO ranks and he wasn't all world either. I think the best thing to do would be to just get as many walk ins that want to kick for us try out and go from there.

I've mentioned establishing a relationship with Ray Guy as well- letting him use our facilities for his kicking camps. That or Kohl's who has a good kicking camp as well.

the59dawg
08-03-2015, 06:54 AM
I agree about a dedicated special teams coach. We had Breauchle from the JUCO ranks and he wasn't all world either. I think the best thing to do would be to just get as many walk ins that want to kick for us try out and go from there.

I've mentioned establishing a relationship with Ray Guy as well- letting him use our facilities for his kicking camps. That or Kohl's who has a good kicking camp as well.

This is great idea

FlabLoser
08-03-2015, 07:26 AM
We're over thinking this. Decent kickers are growing on trees.

Why must our head be in the sand?

Political Hack
08-03-2015, 07:27 AM
yes. absolutely. they kick off the ground and play against better competition rushing them.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-03-2015, 07:31 AM
Kohl's who has a good kicking camp as well.
I think we have a pretty good relationship with Kohl's already. I believe Logan Cooke attended his camp and I think there was one other that I can't think of right now....but I like your thinking.

5 Star
08-03-2015, 09:50 AM
We should be going to JUCO route for any position on our team, depending on what the available talent is in the JUCO ranks on any given year.

So the answer is yes.