PDA

View Full Version : ESPN gives us #13 SOS this season

starkvegasdawg
08-02-2015, 08:48 PM
I guess about what'd you expect for a SECW team. UNM has the #20 SOS for comparative purposes.

Todd4State
08-03-2015, 01:11 AM
Louisiana Tech has a good team. We probably get some points for playing USM on the road too.

Johnson85
08-03-2015, 08:19 AM
Louisiana Tech has a good team. We probably get some points for playing USM on the road too.

Which is ludicrous. Once you get past the top 100 teams, games just shouldn't count period. There shouldn't be a difference between playing citadel at home versus USM at hattiesburg. This is assuming USM hasn't made a jump, but it kills me that playing the 150th team versus the 175th team is better for your SOS. Once you get to guaranteed win territory, it really shouldn't matter.

CadaverDawg
08-03-2015, 08:46 AM
Looks like we need to beef up our OOC, like Ohio State.***

TUSK
08-03-2015, 09:04 AM
Lucky Bastards***

dig on this blurb I cut/paste(d):

Bama will face nine teams from the Top 27 in the regular season:

@#7 Auburn
@#9 Georgia
#13 LSU
#15 Ole Miss
#18 Wisconsin
#20 Arkansas
#25 Tennessee
@#26 Mississippi State
@#27 Texas A&M
If Alabama somehow navigates that schedule, they'd likely face a Top-10 or 15 team in the SEC Championship Game and two Top 4 teams in the Playoffs, for a total of 12 games against Top 25 competition.

yikes.

edit: it was an article comparing SEC vs Big 10 scheduling....

CadaverDawg
08-03-2015, 09:12 AM
Lucky Bastards***

dig on this blurb I cut/paste(d):

Bama will face nine teams from the Top 27 in the regular season:

@#7 Auburn
@#9 Georgia
#13 LSU
#15 Ole Miss
#18 Wisconsin
#20 Arkansas
#25 Tennessee
@#26 Mississippi State
@#27 Texas A&M
If Alabama somehow navigates that schedule, they'd likely face a Top-10 or 15 team in the SEC Championship Game and two Top 4 teams in the Playoffs, for a total of 12 games against Top 25 competition.

yikes.

edit: it was an article comparing SEC vs Big 10 scheduling....

At least they don't have to play Bama.

TUSK
08-03-2015, 09:13 AM
At least they don't have to play Bama.

yup, that kills our SOS... I think we should get to factor in the Spring Game*

scottycameron
08-03-2015, 09:41 AM
yup, that kills our SOS... I think we should get to factor in the Spring Game*

y'all are joking but that actually helps our SOS in this case. This is done by espn which shouldn't count for much anyway as far off as there power ranking thingamajing is. They have our ranking lowest in the SECW which leads to us having the top SOS secw schedule. Just one of the screwed up factors that go into this whole SOS garbage. I never put much stock into it. We play in the secw, it's not easy, I hope you don't need some dork's numbers to tell you that, I know i don't. And you never know how hard it will be until you see who's good and who's not.

5 Star
08-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Which is ludicrous. Once you get past the top 100 teams, games just shouldn't count period. There shouldn't be a difference between playing citadel at home versus USM at hattiesburg. This is assuming USM hasn't made a jump, but it kills me that playing the 150th team versus the 175th team is better for your SOS. Once you get to guaranteed win territory, it really shouldn't matter.
In what universe does this make sense? The only rational argument you can make is that all FCS teams are roughly the same. FBS teams are not created equally, thus shouldn't be treated that way in the SOS ranking.

scottycameron
08-03-2015, 10:10 AM
In what universe does this make sense? The only rational argument you can make is that all FCS teams are roughly the same. FBS teams are not created equally, thus shouldn't be treated that way in the SOS ranking.

I agree with johnson. If it's a guaranteed win, it's all the same. A win is a win. On another note, this is the second time in 2 days or so I've seen FBS/FCS on here. When did y'all nerds start calling 1AA that? It's confusing as hell, not sure what the point of it is.

5 Star
08-03-2015, 10:34 AM
I agree with johnson. If it's a guaranteed win, it's all the same. A win is a win. On another note, this is the second time in 2 days or so I've seen FBS/FCS on here. When did y'all nerds start calling 1AA that? It's confusing as hell, not sure what the point of it is.
There is no such thing as a guaranteed win, especially on the road. USM in Hattiesburg = Citadel at home? You're smoking crack.

MadDawg
08-03-2015, 10:35 AM

I agree with Johnson as well. And it's even more of an issue in basketball where playing the #156th RPI team will destroy your RPI where playing the 89th RPI team will not hurt near as much - and in reality there isn't a nickels difference between the two bad teams.
\

Johnson85
08-03-2015, 10:41 AM
There is no such thing as a guaranteed win, especially on the road. USM in Hattiesburg = Citadel at home? You're smoking crack.

Last year's USM team at USM and citadel at home is no different when you're talking about teams that want to be in the playoffs. They're both automatic W's and if you're trying to figure out who belongs in the playoffs, you're smoking crack if you think beating last year's USM team in hattiesburg versus beating citadel at home should count in the decision. At that level, any calculation of SOS should only incorporate how many teams with a pulse you play. Formulary SOS calculations can only take you so far when you're trying to distinguish between elite teams (should beating 4 teams in the 20-25 range be better than beating two top 10 teams and two teams in the 50-100 range?), but you've got to at least throw out the stuff that is irrelevant.

scottycameron
08-03-2015, 10:42 AM
I agree with Johnson as well. And it's even more of an issue in basketball where playing the #156th RPI team will destroy your RPI where playing the 89th RPI team will not hurt near as much - and in reality there isn't a nickels difference between the two bad teams.
\

That's exactly right. Basketball is worse because the RPI numbers go up into the hundreds, gets ridiculous after you go up so far.
Two football teams could have the exact same schedule except one plays Miss Valley State and the other plays Alcorn State. Based on that one team could boast a higher SOS ranking and claim they have it harder that year. And the number would factor into ranking. You have to admit, that's pretty ridiculous.

Johnson85
08-03-2015, 10:44 AM
\

Not sure, but in basketball I suspect you get a good bit lower than 89th RPI before the difference becomes negligible. I'm guessing there is a meaningful difference between the risk of upset between the 100th RPI team and the 150th RPI team. There might even be a difference between 150 and 200. But you could probably look at stats from past games to figure out where the risk of upset basically disappears.

5 Star
08-03-2015, 11:34 AM
That's exactly right. Basketball is worse because the RPI numbers go up into the hundreds, gets ridiculous after you go up so far.
Two football teams could have the exact same schedule except one plays Miss Valley State and the other plays Alcorn State. Based on that one team could boast a higher SOS ranking and claim they have it harder that year. And the number would factor into ranking. You have to admit, that's pretty ridiculous.
Seems pretty accurate to me, especially since you are exaggerating the effect on the SOS. This is the very reason there is a committee that delves into the numbers and applies a common sense angle to the madness.

dickiedawg
08-03-2015, 11:42 AM
How in the world is Bowl Subdivision and Championship Subdivision any MORE confusing than having Division 1-a, Division 1-aa and Division 2, 3, 4 etc?

scottycameron
08-03-2015, 12:20 PM
How in the world is Bowl Subdivision and Championship Subdivision any MORE confusing than having Division 1-a, Division 1-aa and Division 2, 3, 4 etc?

Because they just made up new names for no apparent reason. Maybe they'll change to Legends and Leaders next year. Another bright idea. Everybody who knows anything about college football knows the difference between 1A and 1AA. Nobody knows this geeky championship bowl junk.

DancingRabbit
08-03-2015, 12:36 PM
Because they just made up new names for no apparent reason. Maybe they'll change to Legends and Leaders next year. Another bright idea. Everybody who knows anything about college football knows the difference between 1A and 1AA. Nobody knows this geeky championship bowl junk.

It's been FBS & FCS since 2006. I agree that there was no need to change, but it's been around for a while now.

1bigdawg
08-03-2015, 12:43 PM
The 1AA schools thought that their title implied lesser quality and that "Championship Subdivision" sounded much better. Their are more smaller schools than 1A schools so they get to make those rules.

scottycameron
08-03-2015, 01:20 PM
The 1AA schools thought that their title implied lesser quality and that "Championship Subdivision" sounded much better. Their are more smaller schools than 1A schools so they get to make those rules.

Communism should be proud. Glad to see our guys on here get in line. As far as myself, the NCAA can KMA.

MedDawg
08-03-2015, 01:28 PM

I agree with both of y'all, but I don't know if it makes a difference in football SOS. I'm not sure if the football SOS even takes home and away into account.

It definitely makes a difference in baseball and basketball RPI, though. I absolutely agree with a maximum RPI penalty for those sports, like every team past 150 is treated the same. All are just as beatable for good teams.

confucius say
08-03-2015, 02:20 PM
Communism should be proud. Glad to see our guys on here get in line. As far as myself, the NCAA can KMA.

Funny thing is, the fbs (football bowl subdivision) now has a championship/playoff like the fcs (football championship subdivision).

scottycameron
08-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Funny thing is, the fbs (football bowl subdivision) now has a championship/playoff like the fcs (football championship subdivision).

well, you know what that means - time for another NCAA name change. Any suggestions? In keeping with the new obamma America theme, I suggest:

1A - Football Privileged Subdivision (FPS)
1AA - Football Courage Subdivision(FCS)

Leroy Jenkins
08-03-2015, 03:15 PM
How can there be a sos rating before anyone knows how good the teams will be? For example, if a team played us last year in week 1 they would be playing an unranked team, if they played us week 9 they would have played the no 1 team in the country.

BulldogBear
08-03-2015, 03:43 PM
well, you know what that means - time for another NCAA name change. Any suggestions? In keeping with the new obamma America theme, I suggest:

1A - Football Privileged Subdivision (FPS)
1AA - Football Courage Subdivision(FCS)
Awesome!