PDA

View Full Version : Players report tomorrow and fall camp starts Monday.

Dawgcentral
08-01-2015, 07:18 PM
What's the best possible news we could gain during Fall practice? No injuries? Unexpected gains in depth? Who's the player that shows he made the biggest improvement since Spring?

SDDawg
08-01-2015, 10:10 PM
Progress at Safety is the camp news I am looking for, that and a healthy OL with Rufus at LT.

ShotgunDawg
08-01-2015, 10:49 PM
I'd like to see:

1. Health
2. Jamal Peters looks like an all pro at saftey & Kendrick Market looks healthy
3. Someone absolutely wins the field goal kicking job
4. The offensive line appears to be meshing well
5. Fitz wins backup QB job

preachermatt83
08-01-2015, 11:06 PM
I'd like to see:

1. Health

This x 5

Todd4State
08-02-2015, 12:40 AM
I'd like to see:

1. Health

The only thing I would add is Dixon stepping up at fullback.

GreenheadDawg
08-02-2015, 07:32 AM
I'd like to see:

1. Health

Good list. I would add that I would like to see somebody really start showing out at RB. Also want to see somebody step up step up at TE try to fill Malcolm's shoes

Harrydawg
08-02-2015, 07:49 AM
DL, we may have lost more at the D line than any group. I looked at something last night and we replacing a lot of 1A guys. That concerns me. When we play LSU, that front 7 will determine the outcome

Maroons
08-02-2015, 08:00 AM
I'd like to see:

1. Health

No inside info, but I cant imagine Market being anywhere close to full speed until at least mid-season.

missouridawg
08-02-2015, 08:05 AM
No injuries is always the best news we can have.

BulldogBear
08-02-2015, 08:11 AM
No injuries is always the best news we can have.

^^^This

Coach34
08-02-2015, 09:12 AM
1. 2nd DL group getting mentions
2. Peters looks SEC ready
3. Warren takes solid hold of LT job but Jenkins expected to get snaps early
4. Staley is healthy and taking control of the back-up job
5. Dez Harris is healthy and ready to go

BeardoMSU
08-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Was Rankin a bit overrated coming out of Juco, or is this more indicative of these other guy's talents?

Coach34
08-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Was Rankin a bit overrated coming out of Juco, or is this more indicative of these other guy's talents?

more about the talent we have. People will see this come September. Rankin will have his chance the next 3 weeks- but he has a gap to close

Jacksondevildog
08-02-2015, 10:04 AM
But Coach, I heard that we lost all of our talent and we don't return shit but Prescott.
more about the talent we have. People will see this come September. Rankin will have his chance the next 3 weeks- but he has a gap to close

Ifyouonlyknew
08-02-2015, 10:31 AM
People just automatically assume Rankin is overrated instead of Warren stepping up & grabbing the job. He has another month to hold off Rankin & Jenkins but he was the clear starter in spring & it wasn't because the others struggled.

basedog
08-02-2015, 11:05 AM
People just automatically assume Rankin is overrated instead of Warren stepping up & grabbing the job. He has another month to hold off Rankin & Jenkins but he was the clear starter in spring & it wasn't because the others struggled.

Warren has an advantage that he was going up against better competition for a few years compared to Rankin who needs time to get adjusted. Competition is a good thing, we shall see in the next few weeks, I like the fact Warren is holding his own.

Coach34
08-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Warren has an advantage that he was going up against better competition for a few years compared to Rankin who needs time to get adjusted. Competition is a good thing, we shall see in the next few weeks, I like the fact Warren is holding his own.

Exactly.

People seem to forget Warren was a good enough athlete to be an SEC TE. So he obviously has good feet for playing LT. He has had a year of playing OT under his belt now. He has to get better handfighting and using his leverage- but thats what Hev, AJ, and Ry Brown are for.

I'm wayyy more worried about our 2nd DL and Safety than I am our OL

DawgPoundtheRock
08-02-2015, 05:42 PM
My biggest concern is also defensive line depth. If this becomes an issue, then do we occasionally shift into a 3-4. I understand that our base defense will be a 4-3, but because of our depth at linebacker, I see an occasional 3-4 as a possibility. Not only would this give us the opportunity to rest a dl, it would change our defensive look. Thoughts?

Barking 13
08-02-2015, 10:02 PM
All of the above.... DPR, I think I'm just going to let Manny figure it out... **

CadaverDawg
08-03-2015, 08:50 AM
My biggest concern is also defensive line depth. If this becomes an issue, then do we occasionally shift into a 3-4. I understand that our base defense will be a 4-3, but because of our depth at linebacker, I see an occasional 3-4 as a possibility. Not only would this give us the opportunity to rest a dl, it would change our defensive look. Thoughts?

Just saw this post after I had started a thread about it. I have the same thoughts. Looks like we'll probably see a good bit of 3 man fronts, especially on passing downs. I worry about LSU and Bama digging in to our DL depth though. We need Jones, Adams, James, and Thomas to have monster, healthy seasons.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-03-2015, 12:18 PM
I want to see:

1. Stay healthy on OL and at corner.
2. Nick James progressing at DT. Gotta have you this year big boy.
3. Peters getting up to speed quickly at safety.
4. Settling on a solid punt returner who makes wise decisions.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-03-2015, 12:36 PM
I want to see:

1. Stay healthy on OL and at corner.
2. Nick James progressing at DT. Gotta have you this year big boy.
3. Peters getting up to speed quickly at safety.
4. Settling on a solid punt returner who makes wise decisions.

We found #4 last year in Fred Ross

somebodyshotmypaw
08-03-2015, 04:46 PM
We found #4 last year in Fred Ross

Agreed. I really liked Ross last year. He was sure-handed and would fair catch when we needed it. The punters that teams have now can really limit a return. They can get hang time that works well with the coverage ability. Jameon Lewis killed us in 2013 with letting some bounce and roll 20 yards, when they should have been a fair catch. I've seen games throughout the NCAA and NFL where a guy punts 7 or 8 times, with every punt resulting in a fair catch. You aren't going to return them all. Limit your mistakes. To me, I will take good judgement and sure hands over the ability to run with the ball.

Dawgcentral
08-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Just saw this post after I had started a thread about it. I have the same thoughts. Looks like we'll probably see a good bit of 3 man fronts, especially on passing downs. I worry about LSU and Bama digging in to our DL depth though. We need Jones, Adams, James, and Thomas to have monster, healthy seasons.

If I see a 3 man front on anything less that 3rd and 15 without a LB or two creeping up to the line I'm going to be a little more than pissed off. I want pressure with a 4 man front with a lock down secondary. Maybe I'm just greedy that way.