PDA

View Full Version : Now here is a CBS sports writer that gets it................

99jc
08-01-2015, 07:58 AM
Tennessee: There are over eight SEC teams ranked in the poll, and 13 of the 14 teams in the conference received votes in the process (sorry, Vanderbilt). I don't have a problem with eight SEC teams being ranked, and considering Tennessee sneaks in at the No. 25 spot, this isn't that big of a deal.

But I'd rather see Mississippi State ranked than the Volunteers. At least the Bulldogs are coming off a season in which they accomplished something. Sure, Tennessee went 7-6 last year and played in its first bowl game since 2010. There's also a lot of young talent on the team, including a quarterback I love in Josh Dobbs.

I get the reasoning!

It's just I also remember where a lot of those wins came from last year. In 2014, Tennessee played five games against teams that finished the season ranked in the AP Poll, or were at least receiving votes. It went 0-5 in those games, losing by an average score of 33.2-17.2. The seven wins came against Utah State, Arkansas State, Chattanooga, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Iowa. Not exactly a murderer's row.

So while I think Tennessee is going to be a better team in 2015, I'd like to see them prove it first before ranking them.

TrapGame
08-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Just to throw a little something on top of this. Go check out the LSU writer on SBNation. He previewed us three or four days ago and was definitely not drinking the sports media kool aid. He actually researched the returning players, broke down games and...aghast!...horror!...thinks we might be even better than last year!

PMDawg
08-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Just to throw a little something on top of this. Go check out the LSU writer on SBNation. He previewed us three or four days ago and was definitely not drinking the sports media kool aid. He actually researched the returning players, broke down games and...aghast!...horror!...thinks we might be even better than last year!

Nice link

dnadawg
08-01-2015, 11:59 AM
I can't find it on SB Nation

BulldogBear
08-01-2015, 12:47 PM
I can't find it on SB Nation

Uh oh. Media perception police took it down***?

maroonmania
08-01-2015, 12:52 PM

I think we could absolutely be as good or better than last year. That could be true and us not have as good of a record due to what other do plus our schedule is tougher. Trading out Vandy for Missouri is basically trading an FCS level team for a top level SEC opponent. Then much else depends on how much improvement have teams like LSU, Texas A&M and Arkansas really achieved since last year. Those are the factors that will ultimately determine our record.

TrapGame
08-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Nice link

SHIT!

I can't find it. I read it on my phone 2 or 3 days ago during lunch.

Anyway, it was a lot better preview than the SB Nation Bama guy gave us. In his article we go 6-6 and lose our last 4 games in a row. And Dak's the only talented player on the team. Typical Bama douche.

Pollodawg
08-01-2015, 01:03 PM
I don't buy the whole "schedule is tougher this year" talk. We have LSU, Bama, and OM at home this season where we almost always play better. Auburn and Arkansas are on the road, but Fayetville and Auburn won't be any tougher places to play than Oxford and Tuscaloosa were last season in all likelihood. We have a tough road date at Mizzou, but in my opinion, the sched is about the same really.

starkvegasdawg
08-01-2015, 01:08 PM
won't be any tougher places to play than Oxford and Tuscaloosa were last season in all likelihood.

And we lost both places.

99jc
08-01-2015, 01:27 PM
And we lost both places.

to get national respect and we have to do the same we have to win minimum 9 games a year for the next couple years to gain any national attention to be considered a power in the west. That's just the way it is.

Pollodawg
08-01-2015, 06:43 PM
And we lost both places.

Never said we didn't. I only used those games as points of comparison for this season in so far as scheduling is concerned. I think the schedules are about even.