Reunion

Schultzy
08-01-2015, 06:58 AM
Northbay
Jackson Municipal
Lefluer Bluff
Niknar
Grove Park
Ha! Haven't played Grove Park but I like the back nine at Niknar.

Coursesuper
08-01-2015, 07:09 AM
Is Niknar still open?

Dawgface
08-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Old Waverly
Fallen Oak
Grand Bear
Hattisburg Country Club
Reunion

This looks about right.

Buddy
08-01-2015, 08:10 AM
Annandale has got to be on the list somewhere.

BeastMan
08-01-2015, 08:38 AM
My favorite golf course in MS is Starkville CC. That's the course I grew up learning how to play with my grandfather. I even caught my first bass in the lake on #16 when I was 5. It might not be the best but it has the best memories for me. They still do a little tournament named after my grandfather.

Coursesuper
08-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Nope, Annandale would be in the next five.

Brahmabull
08-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Reunion isn't in the same group as Annandale and CC Jackson. I have played all three multiple times and it's just not.
I would say:
Fallen Oak
Waverly
Annandale
CC Jackson
Preserve

AlSwearengen
08-01-2015, 10:24 AM
Jackson CC
Timberton
Waverly
Grand Bear
Reunion

Timberton? I had to complain about pine combs and limbs everywhere when we were trying to sell our house. Two different realtors made comments about it. I guess Timberton is pretty nice for a public course.

Coursesuper
08-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Timberton is solid but not top five. I would like to hear what the justification is for CCJ being in the top five in the state. Don't say they play a tour event there because that means dick.

Bothrops
08-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Dancing Rabbit must have closed.

Coursesuper
08-01-2015, 11:19 AM
No, very good. Typical Fazio though. A little bit of Jerry on the first one , but not close to what they did together at Old Overton. They fall in the next five with The Preserve and Annandale.

3dawgnight15
08-01-2015, 12:02 PM
I grew up at Starkville Country Club as well. Got in trouble for swimming in 16 for golf balls. The course looks the best I have ever seen it and I started playing out there before they put in the irrigation system. I do not know what happened to State's course but a few years ago it was in really bad shape which is disappointing considering our turf program.

shoeless joe
08-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Eagle ridge
Sonny guy
Brookwood (is it still open?)

In all seriousness old waverly is the top of the line in the state IMO.

Gatordog
08-01-2015, 12:15 PM
I have played reunion as well as Annandale and ccj. Reunion is in far better shape every time. My five in no order are:

Reunion
Fallen oak
Old waverly
Annondale
For some reason always been partial to Deerfield. Even though I must say the refuge has definitely gotten better in the last 5 years

AlSwearengen
08-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Old Waverly
Fallen Oak
Grand Bear
Hattisburg Country Club
Reunion

I hear that Hattiesburg CC is pretty nice. I know they were having serious money issues a few years ago, to the point they had a come to jesus meeting with the membership. I guess they got their problems ironed out because I haven't heard anything since. Their buildings are outdated as hell though.

I hear Canebrake would like to expand their facilities if they could get the farmer next to them to sell them some more land. They would put a hurting on HCC if they added tennis courts and tweaked their golf course in certain areas.

joben3
08-01-2015, 01:09 PM
If you are talking about just the golf course, reunion is better than both of those. Layout and conditions. Old waverly is the only one better IMO.

Coursesuper
08-01-2015, 01:50 PM
This is about the design and the land it lays on. Conditions are a very small part. You guys have no idea how lucky you are in Mississippi, there is a great deal of talent in our state as far a superintendents go. The clubhouse and other amenities don't count here.

Schultzy
08-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Timberton? I had to complain about pine combs and limbs everywhere when we were trying to sell our house. Two different realtors made comments about it. I guess Timberton is pretty nice for a public course.

15 years since I played there but I really liked the layout back then. It used to host a PGA tournament back in the seventies or early eighties.Payne Stewart's first win was there I think.

Gatordog
08-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Mississippi is very fortunate to have had great golf course architects. Judging layout or design only. I am very partial to Bob Cupp designs. I feel he gets the use out of every club in my bag. Cupp designs in the state are Reunion and old waverly now Cupp assisted Jerry Pate with old waverly. Fallen Oak is a lot of fun. I really like the changes it made last summer to its bunkers and a few greens, not as penalizing in my opinion.

IMissJack
08-01-2015, 02:55 PM
about 10-12 years ago I was part of a group that went to the Biloxi area for golf and gambling every year. We played a number of the courses in the area, Grand Bear, Shell Landing, Diamond Head... Then the hurricane really did a lot of damage to the courses, and we changed to Shreveport area. What are the courses to play on the coast now, if I were planning a similar trip?

Coursesuper
08-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Bob Cupp also designed Annandale. He was the lead architect on that course. It was one of the last he did for Nicklaus Desgin.

Coursesuper
08-01-2015, 03:02 PM
If I were putting it together I'd play Grand Bear, Fallen Oak and The Preserve.

Gatordog
08-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Bob Cupp also designed Annandale. He was the lead architect on that course. It was one of the last he did for Nicklaus Desgin.

I knew Cupp worked for Nicklaus just didn't know he designed Annandale before he branched off on his own. Thanks for the history. I haven't played the preserve or Grand Bear yet. Every time I head to Biloxi I play Fallen Oak, I will make sure to play those two next time. Thanks for this topic.

AlSwearengen
08-01-2015, 04:30 PM
15 years since I played there but I really liked the layout back then. It used to host a PGA tournament back in the seventies or early eighties.Payne Stewart's first win was there I think.

Ahh, that was back when one of the Tatums (plenty of money) owned it and there were 27 holes. It is under new ownership and has been for several years. After Katrina, they let nine holes go because of cost of maintenance from what I was told.

I'm not totally sure about timing, but I'm pretty sure that Canebrake opened as a public course and Tatum sold Timberton soon after. I remember how everyone was buzzing about Canebrake (it was the new shiny toy i guess) so it probably hurt Timberton pretty badly. Canebrake eventually went private which obviously helped Timberton. The two public courses in Hburg are Timberton and Shadow Ridge of which Timberton is nicer, but more expensive and not as good of a location. Judging by parking lots, I would say Shadow Ridge does more business.

archdog
08-01-2015, 04:51 PM
I would say
Grand Bear
Fallen Oak
Shell Landing
Old Waverly
Hattisburg CC

Next would be
The refuge, lots of water
Jackson Cc
Mississippi National cause its old
Bridges
Diamondhead
The Oaks

MSUDawg13
08-01-2015, 06:35 PM
Laurel CC is the best it's been in 20+ years. The greens are as smooth as glass and rolling between 10-11. If you enjoy a good 4-ball, the Labor Day 4-ball event is coming up and is always a blast.

BehindTheScenes
08-01-2015, 07:02 PM
Old Waverly
Annandale
CC Jackson
Reunion
Grand Bear