PDA

View Full Version : OHIO States Schedule

cheewgumm
07-30-2015, 06:06 PM
Every person that is an SEC fan with a voice should complain about Ohio State's schedule non-stop this year.

The way they lambasted the SEC non-conf schedule last year, Ohio State should get no rest in answering for it's lack of schedule. They should not lose a game. Shouldn't be close.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Their non conference schedule looks similar to most SEC schools. 1 Power 5 opponent & 3 cupcakes.

5 Star
07-30-2015, 06:23 PM
I got no problem with their schedule. A substantial power 5 team on the road in Virginia Tech, two reasonable non-power 5 teams in Hawaii and Northern Illinois, and a nobody power 5 team. No FCS. Can't complain to much about that.

If it's their conference schedule you don't like, I don't think there's anything anyone can do about that.

cheewgumm
07-30-2015, 06:31 PM
I really don't get the whole argument that only non-conf matters. That's pure BS, that the media are getting way with.

Why doesn't your conference schedule matter? It doesn't matter if "you can't change that"...it should still matter. Otherwise, why can't Nevada win every game and go to the National Championship?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-30-2015, 06:32 PM
I really don't get the whole argument that only non-conf matters. That's pure BS, that the media are getting way with.

Why doesn't your conference schedule matter? It doesn't matter if "you can't change that"...it should still matter. Otherwise, why can't Nevada win every game and go to the National Championship?

Do you think that Ohio St isn't 1 of the best teams in the country?

5 Star
07-30-2015, 06:45 PM
It definitely should matter at the end of the year when trying to pick the best teams. But when it comes to criticizing their scheduling BEFORE the fact, you CANNOT do much more than they are doing right now. Sure I guess they could play another P5 team I suppose but it is what it is. They aren't bringing up the bottom of the barrel or anything.

Did you criticize Florida State's schedule before the season last year? ACC, plus Notre Dame, Florida and Oklahoma State? That's pretty doggone stout to anybody in their right mind. You cannot ask anymore effort from them when it comes to scheduling, they went WAY beyond what is necessary.

BiscuitEater
07-30-2015, 06:50 PM

.. NOT the question. They are one of the best in the country .. BUT they don't even come close to playing playing an SEC West Schedule .. 7 teams in the top 30.

SEC teams should get more 'cred' for playing a much tougher schedule.

5 Star
07-30-2015, 06:57 PM
Did you miss where MSU, Ole Miss and Auburn were in the first top 4 last year?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-30-2015, 06:58 PM
.. NOT the question. They are one of the best in the country .. BUT they don't even come close to playing playing an SEC West Schedule .. 7 teams in the top 30.

SEC teams should get more 'cred' for playing a much tougher schedule.

The goal is to get the best 4 teams in the playoffs. As long they're 1 of the best 4 that's all that matter to me.

CadaverDawg
07-30-2015, 07:05 PM
I'm going to politely disagree with Dan this time. I totally agree with Chew and Biscuit...How do you know OSU is the best team? Maybe they just haven't been beaten up like a lot of teams that play a real schedule. Looking at non conference ONLY is a joke. The SEC gets blasted for OOC, when they ought to be getting praised for playing an 8 game conference schedule that is tougher than 100% of the rest of the country's FULL schedule.

Teams like OSU should be getting grilled for not scheduling 4 powerhouses OOC to make up for the lack of competition whatsoever in THEIR conference.

That's my opinion.

I feel like the media has even brainwashed SEC fans into looking at OOC and ignoring that our 8 game IN conference is tougher than any other team in any other conference's schedule. That has to count for something in my eyes.

5 Star
07-30-2015, 07:08 PM
Well I will disagree there. "Best" needs to be proven. Can't just be opinion.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-30-2015, 07:08 PM
When they dominated Bama & Oregon that wasn't bc they were fresher they were just better. We all know the Big 10 is bad but Ohio St is just as good as the best of the SEC.

CadaverDawg
07-30-2015, 07:11 PM
When they dominated Bama & Oregon that wasn't bc they were fresher they were just better. We all know the Big 10 is bad but Ohio St is just as good as the best of the SEC.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't have to earn their spot

CadaverDawg
07-30-2015, 07:12 PM
Well I will disagree there. "Best" needs to be proven. Can't just be opinion.

Exactly

cheewgumm
07-30-2015, 07:13 PM
I think they are as good as the SEC.

My point is that everyone had no problem criticizing the SEC for non-conf schedule. If that is fair, why is it not fair to criticize Ohio State for their conf schedule?

I don't think they should have even been in the final 4 last year, given they lost to VT. That should have eliminated them. I do think it matters that your starters only have to play have the time inmost games. I do think that takes a toll.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-30-2015, 07:13 PM
That doesn't mean they shouldn't have to earn their spot

Earning your spot is winning your games. They can't help who they play. I mean everybody can't play in the SEC. What else do you want them to do? I'm confused on that.

CadaverDawg
07-30-2015, 07:16 PM
I think they are as good as the SEC.

My point is that everyone had no problem criticizing the SEC for non-conf schedule. If that is fair, why is it not fair to criticize Ohio State for their conf schedule?

I don't think they should have even been in the final 4 last year, given they lost to VT. That should have eliminated them. I do think it matters that your starters only have to play have the time inmost games. I do think that takes a toll.

Yep, that's why you play the games. Otherwise lets just put Bama and Ohio St in the Title every year. If OSU lost to Va Tech, they could have easily lost to a Auburn or MSU level conference opponent if they had to play multiple like we all do in the SEC.

CadaverDawg
07-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Earning your spot is winning your games. They can't help who they play. I mean everybody can't play in the SEC. What else do you want them to do? I'm confused on that.

I want them to STFU about our OOC since we "can't help" our tough conference schedule just like OSU "can't help" their weak one. It's a double standard and I don't understand how people can't see it.

CadaverDawg
07-30-2015, 07:20 PM
We're expected to win a brutal SEC slate AND schedule tougher OOC, while OSU could schedule 4 NFL teams OOC and still not have our SOS. (Exaggerating)

Dawgcentral
07-30-2015, 07:20 PM

This is it exactly. This two games had excellent game planning and execution. I wasn't exactly impressed with the way OSU handled their season, but they came into those games with a 3rd string QB and really made others look 2nd rate. They knocked folks off the ball and made the needed plays. That's football.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-30-2015, 07:44 PM
I want them to STFU about our OOC since we "can't help" our tough conference schedule just like OSU "can't help" their weak one. It's a double standard and I don't understand how people can't see it.

The reason the conference started making SEC teams schedule Power 5 opponents had nothing to do with strength of schedule. It had to do with money. Power 5 matchups bring eyes to the tube & with every SEC game on TV now you can't have a bunch of games against Sun Belt, CUSA, & FCS teams early in the year. The SEC didn't care what the media said about who we were playing.

cheewgumm
07-30-2015, 08:26 PM
If "SEC" doesn't matter, and it obviously doesn't becAuse winning the ACC is the same as winning the SEC... As we saw at the end of last year.

If that's the case, why can't teams in the WAC or Big Sky Eric make the same case?

confucius say
07-30-2015, 08:33 PM
Bottom line is, with a crap schedule that is worse than all the other one loss teams, you should not get in over the other one loss teams. Losing to a 6-6 vt team at home should have eliminated oh st given what tcu, bama, Baylor, and fl st did. The fact oh st won the thing is irrelevant. Several teams that didnt make the final four were capable of winning the title. The committee said ad nauseam the goal wast to get the best four based off entire body of work.

confucius say
07-30-2015, 08:38 PM

Irrelevant. But yes I do. The question is whether they deserved to be in the playoff. Was their resume better than tcu, whose one loss was by two on the road at Baylor?

confucius say
07-30-2015, 08:42 PM
Yep, that's why you play the games. Otherwise lets just put Bama and Ohio St in the Title every year. If OSU lost to Va Tech, they could have easily lost to a Auburn or MSU level conference opponent if they had to play multiple like we all do in the SEC.

Ding ding ding. You can't lose at home to a 6-6 average at best acc team and have a leg to stand on when tcu had the resume they had.

TUSK
07-30-2015, 08:56 PM
I see good points on both sides of the argument...

I believe playing an SEC slate can be both an advantage (SOS & getting in the CFP with an additional loss) and disadvantage (potential loss + "wear and tear")... Currently, teams in the Big10, ACC, etc don't have to worry as much about that...

It'll never happen, but I'd like to see the SEC reduce the number of in conference games to 7, add 3 Power Five OOC games + 2 "cupcakes", and eliminate the SECC... then send 2 SEC teams to the CFP every effin year.

mostly in jest, but sorta serious...

Ifyouonlyknew
07-30-2015, 09:03 PM
Irrelevant. But yes I do. The question is whether they deserved to be in the playoff. Was their resume better than tcu, whose one loss was by two on the road at Baylor?

No the job of the playoffs isn't to find the best resume its to find the best teams.

TUSK
07-30-2015, 09:21 PM
Bottom line is, with a crap schedule that is worse than all the other one loss teams, you should not get in over the other one loss teams. Losing to a 6-6 vt team at home should have eliminated oh st given what tcu, bama, Baylor, and fl st did. The fact oh st won the thing is irrelevant. Several teams that didnt make the final four were capable of winning the title. The committee said ad nauseam the goal wast to get the best four based off entire body of work.

Confucius, your opinion reminds me of why Okie St. got left out of the 2012 NC Game...

Had Ohio State lost to Va Tech late in the season (ie: Okie St. vs Iowa St), they would have been freakin TOAST.... and...

Bammer may have celebrated their 87,342nd NC******

5 Star
07-30-2015, 09:38 PM
No the job of the playoffs isn't to find the best resume its to find the best teams.
This is the farthest from the truth you could possibly be.

DancingRabbit
07-30-2015, 09:43 PM

The committee said "whole body of work". Not supposed to be "who is hottest now".

Johnson85
07-30-2015, 10:10 PM

Schedule ooc games so that their schedule is as tough as an sec schedule or as close as they can get to it. Or at least have the decency to never mention sos. FSU did it right last year. They knew their conference would suck, so they tried to schedule good ooc games. Their ooc teams didn't cooperate, but you can't fault FSU for that.

BiscuitEater
07-31-2015, 07:55 AM

around tOSU's schedule with the VA Tech game in the last 3 or 4 games played .. and they are NOT even considered for the top 4.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-31-2015, 07:58 AM
around tOSU's schedule with the VA Tech game in the last 3 or 4 games played .. and they are NOT even considered for the top 4.

You could say the same about our games vs lsu, A&M, & auburn. Put them at the back end of the season & they don't look near as good. We can mix & match & play what if all day long.

CadaverDawg
07-31-2015, 08:32 AM
Do you realize that the Playoff Committee was knocking our schedule last year because we "didn't play anybody OOC", and they were praising Ohio State for "stepping out of conference and playing Virginia Tech"? Meanwhile, our overall SOS was 1,000 X what OSU's was! Yet WE were looked at as having a weak schedule because we didn't play a tough OOC game.

So you're telling me that if we had identical records last year and Ohio State would have gotten the nod over us for "playing a tougher OOC", you would have no problem with that because "they were clearly the best team in the country"? You know you would be pissed, but essentially that is what the talking heads and playoff committee was saying....that OSU deserved credit for playing Va Tech OOC, and MSU needed to step up their OOC scheduling because ours was weak. They totally ignored the fact that we played 6 games against the toughest division in all of football, while OSU was resting starters for 2 quarters in games against teams like Purdue during their conference slate. But we're supposed to ignore IN conference because "nobody can help who their conference is"? BS. When you play the In Conference schedule we play, you shouldn't be expected to toughen up your OOC....and when OSU plays the shitty conference they're in, they SHOULD be expected to toughen up their OOC. And not just by 1 game vs Va Tech. They should be expected to do more, and that's just to get even with SEC type schedules....not something they should get praise for.

I'm actually really surprised to see you on the side you're on. I typically agree with everything you say, but I'm confused how you could basically say, "as long as the best teams get in the playoff, who cares if they get to play 12 cupcakes on their way there." Bama was one of the best teams in the country last year, yet they still had to show up and beat really good teams week in and week out, or they would have just been the best team NOT to make the playoff. So why does OSU get a special set of rules where they don't have to play anybody, and can still lose to a shitty team like VA Tech and get into the playoff?

CadaverDawg
07-31-2015, 08:38 AM
You could say the same about our games vs lsu, A&M, & auburn. Put them at the back end of the season & they don't look near as good. We can mix & match & play what if all day long.

No, we really can't mix and match all day long without losing comparables. Why? Because the 3 teams you just mentioned (LSU, A&M, Auburn) weren't our toughest games, while they would have been the best 3 teams on OSU's schedule last year. Flip flop ours, and you're swapping those 3 with Arkansas, Bama, and Ole Miss.....swap Ohio State's back half, and you're swapping teams like Wisconsin/Michigan State (which are good teams), with teams like Purdue, Illinois, etc. So no matter how you compare, you can never get apples to apples because the SEC slate is about 4+ games tougher than OSU's schedule.

CadaverDawg
07-31-2015, 08:41 AM
Saturday
Aug. 30 Midshipmen at Navy Midshipmen
M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore, MD Won 34-17 ---

Saturday
Sep. 6 Hokies Virginia Tech Hokies
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH Lost 35-21 ---

Saturday
Sep. 13 Golden Flashes Kent State Golden Flashes
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH Won 66-0 ---

Saturday
Sep. 20 --- Open Date --- ---

Saturday
Sep. 27 Bearcats Cincinnati Bearcats
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH Won 50-28 ---

Saturday
Oct. 4 Terrapins at Maryland Terrapins
Byrd Stadium, College Park, MD Won 52-24 ---

Saturday
Oct. 11 --- Open Date --- ---

Saturday
Oct. 18 Scarlet Knights Rutgers Scarlet Knights (HC)
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH Won 56-17 ---

Saturday
Oct. 25 Nittany Lions at Penn State Nittany Lions
Beaver Stadium, University Park, PA Won 31-24 (OT) ---

Saturday
Nov. 1 Fighting Illini Illinois Fighting Illini
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH Won 55-14 ---

Saturday
Nov. 8 Spartans at Michigan State Spartans
Spartan Stadium, East Lansing, MI Won 49-37 ---

Saturday
Nov. 15 Gophers at Minnesota Golden Gophers
TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN Won 31-24 ---

Saturday
Nov. 22 Hoosiers Indiana Hoosiers
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH Won 42-27 ---

Saturday
Nov. 29 Wolverines Michigan Wolverines
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH Won 42-28 ---

CadaverDawg
07-31-2015, 08:43 AM
Look at that schedule^

When was their first REAL game? at Michigan State? 9 games into the season before they played anybody worth a shit, and they had still already lost a game. You could actually look at that schedule and say that Michigan State is the only decent opponent on that schedule last year.

CadaverDawg
07-31-2015, 08:45 AM
Saturday
Aug. 30 Golden Eagles Southern Miss Golden Eagles
Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS Won 49-0 ---

Saturday
Sep. 6 Blazers UAB Blazers
Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS Won 47-34 ---

Saturday
Sep. 13 Jaguars at South Alabama Jaguars
Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile, AL Won 35-3 ---

Saturday
Sep. 20 Tigers at LSU Tigers
Tiger Stadium, Baton Rouge, LA Won 34-29 ---

Saturday
Sep. 27 --- Open Date --- ---

Saturday
Oct. 4 Aggies Texas A&M Aggies
Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS Won 48-31 ---

Saturday
Oct. 11 Tigers Auburn Tigers
Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS Won 38-23 ---

Saturday
Oct. 18 --- Open Date --- ---

Saturday
Oct. 25 Wildcats at Kentucky Wildcats
Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington, KY- Won 45-31 ---

Saturday
Nov. 1 Razorbacks Arkansas Razorbacks
Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS Won 17-10 ----

Saturday
Nov. 8 Skyhawks UT Martin Skyhawks (HC)
Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS Won 45-16 ---

Saturday
Nov. 15 Crimson Tide at Alabama Crimson Tide
Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, AL Lost 25-20 ---

Saturday
Nov. 22 Commodores Vanderbilt Commodores
Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS Won 51-0 ---

Saturday
Nov. 29 Rebels at Ole Miss Rebels
Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, Oxford, MS Lost 31-17 ---

cheewgumm
07-31-2015, 08:47 AM
Cadaver.... Exactly. The media has spun it so that al that matters is your non-conf schedule.... And even some SEC fans have fallen for it!!!! Totally frustrating.

You've explained it perfectly in your posts...bravo.

CadaverDawg
07-31-2015, 08:50 AM
Now look at that schedule^

Yet Ohio State got praised for scheduling tougher OOC. If you don't see anything wrong with that, you've been brainwashed. Did we have some weaker teams on the schedule? Sure....but we weren't given the luxury of only having to show up for 1 or 2 games all season. And we weren't given the luxury of being able to lose to a Kentucky (like losing to Va Tech At home) along the way and still get the benefit of the doubt. There is no doubt in my mind that Ohio State wouldn't have sniffed the playoff with our schedule. And it's very possible that we would have played Bama for the National Title if we played OSU's schedule. Yet you see nothing wrong with one team getting a cake walk schedule, while others are having to go through a gauntlet to reach the Playoff? I don't understand that.

But I respect others' opinion. I rest my case

sandwolf
07-31-2015, 08:57 AM
They totally ignored the fact that we played 6 games against the toughest division in all of football.....

They gave us credit for playing in the SEC West last year, but after the West's showing in bowl games last year, I don't think you will see nearly as much of that in the future.

IMissJack
07-31-2015, 09:11 AM

I agree they are as good, but an easy schedule definitely is a benefit at the end of the season. If nothing else, a schedule like an SEC West team plays increases the likelihood of injuries. Secondly, it is easy to get a team up to play a couple of Big games a season (see Johnny Vaught), it is a different thing to play possibly 9 of them. This is the exact reason it was such a big deal when MSU beat 3 straight top ten teams in a row last year. I believe only 5 teams have ever done that.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-31-2015, 09:12 AM
No, we really can't mix and match all day long without losing comparables. Why? Because the 3 teams you just mentioned (LSU, A&M, Auburn) weren't our toughest games, while they would have been the best 3 teams on OSU's schedule last year. Flip flop ours, and you're swapping those 3 with Arkansas, Bama, and Ole Miss.....swap Ohio State's back half, and you're swapping teams like Wisconsin/Michigan State (which are good teams), with teams like Purdue, Illinois, etc. So no matter how you compare, you can never get apples to apples because the SEC slate is about 4+ games tougher than OSU's schedule.

That wasn't my point. He was saying put the Va Tech game at the end of the year & they don't get in. I was saying put those 3 games at the end of the year we're not #1.

CadaverDawg
07-31-2015, 09:15 AM
That wasn't my point. He was saying put the Va Tech game at the end of the year & they don't get in. I was saying put those 3 games at the end of the year we're not #1.

Right, but not because of those teams not being as highly ranked, but because we would have already lost to Bama and Ole Miss if you put LSU, A&M, and Auburn at the end of our schedule. Plus, those games would still be good wins, because part of the reason LSU, Auburn, and A&M weren't as good at the end of the year, was because WE beat them.

And who knows, we may lose 1 or 2 of that 3 game stretch if you place it at the end of the year, bc we would have already been beaten up against teams like Alabama and Arkansas. Ohio State faced none of those issues, because they faced none of that type of competition in back to back weeks. That's my whole point.

MadDawg
07-31-2015, 09:19 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that Ohio State wouldn't have sniffed the playoff with our schedule

Let that sink in people.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-31-2015, 09:20 AM
Do you realize that the Playoff Committee was knocking our schedule last year because we "didn't play anybody OOC", and they were praising Ohio State for "stepping out of conference and playing Virginia Tech"? Meanwhile, our overall SOS was 1,000 X what OSU's was! Yet WE were looked at as having a weak schedule because we didn't play a tough OOC game.

So you're telling me that if we had identical records last year and Ohio State would have gotten the nod over us for "playing a tougher OOC", you would have no problem with that because "they were clearly the best team in the country"? You know you would be pissed, but essentially that is what the talking heads and playoff committee was saying....that OSU deserved credit for playing Va Tech OOC, and MSU needed to step up their OOC scheduling because ours was weak. They totally ignored the fact that we played 6 games against the toughest division in all of football, while OSU was resting starters for 2 quarters in games against teams like Purdue during their conference slate. But we're supposed to ignore IN conference because "nobody can help who their conference is"? BS. When you play the In Conference schedule we play, you shouldn't be expected to toughen up your OOC....and when OSU plays the shitty conference they're in, they SHOULD be expected to toughen up their OOC. And not just by 1 game vs Va Tech. They should be expected to do more, and that's just to get even with SEC type schedules....not something they should get praise for.

I'm actually really surprised to see you on the side you're on. I typically agree with everything you say, but I'm confused how you could basically say, "as long as the best teams get in the playoff, who cares if they get to play 12 cupcakes on their way there." Bama was one of the best teams in the country last year, yet they still had to show up and beat really good teams week in and week out, or they would have just been the best team NOT to make the playoff. So why does OSU get a special set of rules where they don't have to play anybody, and can still lose to a shitty team like VA Tech and get into the playoff?

Not once did I bring up the OOC schedule. You guys keep bringing that up. I don't know what would've happened if we would've beat OM & finished 11-1. Would Ohio St had jumped us maybe so but it wouldn't have been because of OOC schedule. It would've been because the committee showed how much they valued conference champions. That's what killed TCU & Baylor to me more than anything. The Big 12 didn't just outright crown Baylor conference champs & went with that co champ crap.
Nobody plays a tougher schedule than the SEC who's debating that? I'm sorry you can't see where I'm coming from about getting the best teams in the playoffs not the best resume. We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this 1.

CadaverDawg
07-31-2015, 09:28 AM
Not once did I bring up the OOC schedule. You guys keep bringing that up. I don't know what would've happened if we would've beat OM & finished 11-1. Would Ohio St had jumped us maybe so but it wouldn't have been because of OOC schedule. It would've been because the committee showed how much they valued conference champions. That's what killed TCU & Baylor to me more than anything. The Big 12 didn't just outright crown Baylor conference champs & went with that co champ crap.
Nobody plays a tougher schedule than the SEC who's debating that? I'm sorry you can't see where I'm coming from about getting the best teams in the playoffs not the best resume. We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this 1.

This whole thread is about OOC schedule.

If you're in favor of "getting the best teams in", wouldn't you like to be sure you're actually accomplishing that goal? Do you think Ohio State, the same team that lost at home to a shitty Va Tech team, would have skated through an SEC West schedule and reached the playoffs? If not, then you didn't end up with the best teams in the playoffs. Just because they won the Title, doesn't mean they deserved to be in the playoff. If Bama sleepwalks through SEC games and drops one to Arkansas and Ole Miss, they don't still deserve to be in the playoffs just because they "could probably beat anybody in the country". You still have to earn your spot, and Ohio State didn't do that last year. They played a weak schedule and still lost a game to one of the shitty teams on it. So are you saying if they had dropped the overtime game to Penn State, they still deserved to make the playoff? I mean, after all it was the same team that you said "was clearly the best team in the country".....so do you have to actually prove you're the best team, or is it just a God given right that if you can beat the best teams you belong in the playoff?

Do you see what I'm saying? By your logic, Ohio State could beat Bama and anybody else last year, so they were clearly the best, so they deserved to be in the playoff. Well, they also proved they could lose to shitty teams, so how many shitty losses would it take for you to leave "the best" team out of the playoffs? Bama always has the talent to beat anybody, but that doesn't mean they can shit the bed during the season and still "deserve" to be in the playoffs. See where I'm coming from?

5 Star
07-31-2015, 09:32 AM
Let that sink in people.
They shouldn't have gotten in anyway.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-31-2015, 09:35 AM

If you're in favor of "getting the best teams in", wouldn't you like to be sure you're actually accomplishing that goal? Do you think Ohio State, the same team that lost at home to a shitty Va Tech team, would have skated through an SEC West schedule and reached the playoffs? If not, then you didn't end up with the best teams in the playoffs. Just because they won the Title, doesn't mean they deserved to be in the playoff. If Bama sleepwalks through SEC games and drops one to Arkansas and Ole Miss, they don't still deserve to be in the playoffs just because they "could probably beat anybody in the country". You still have to earn your spot, and Ohio State didn't do that last year. They played a weak schedule and still lost a game to one of the shitty teams on it. So are you saying if they had dropped the overtime game to Penn State, they still deserved to make the playoff? I mean, after all it was the same team that you said "was clearly the best team in the country".....so do you have to actually prove you're the best team, or is it just a God given right that if you can beat the best teams you belong in the playoff?

Do you see what I'm saying? By your logic, Ohio State could beat Bama and anybody else last year, so they were clearly the best, so they deserved to be in the playoff. Well, they also proved they could lose to shitty teams, so how many shitty losses would it take for you to leave "the best" team out of the playoffs? Bama always has the talent to beat anybody, but that doesn't mean they can shit the bed during the season and still "deserve" to be in the playoffs. See where I'm coming from?

OK then how is their OOC schedule any different from any other SEC teams schedule? It's not. The difference in their schedule is that they play in a mediocre conference. Ok take the SEC out of the equation. Could Ohio St. replace FSU, TCU, Baylor, or Oregon & do what they do in those conferences? My opinion is yes they can. If you think they would win those conferences then don't they still deserve to be in the playoffs?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-31-2015, 09:43 AM

Ok since this whole thread is about OOC Schedule why is just about Ohio St. & their schedule. Why not discuss the other teams who were in the running for a playoff spot

Oregon OOC Schedule - South Dakota, Michigan St, & Wyoming

Baylor OOC Schedule - SMU, Northwestern St, & Buffalo

TCU OOC Schedule - Samford, Minnesota, & SMU

Their OOC aren't any different than Ohio St. & they don't play in the SEC either. Why not the uproar for them?

CadaverDawg
07-31-2015, 09:43 AM
OK then how is their OOC schedule any different from any other SEC teams schedule? It's not. The difference in their schedule is that they play in a mediocre conference. Ok take the SEC out of the equation. Could Ohio St. replace FSU, TCU, Baylor, or Oregon & do what they do in those conferences? My opinion is yes they can. If you think they would win those conferences then don't they still deserve to be in the playoffs?

I don't know because WE DON"T GET TO SEE IT. Therefore, all we know is that they're good enough to beat Bama and Oregon after playing nobody during the regular season, but they're also bad enough to lose at home to Va Tech. So no, I can't say with certainty that they would skate through the Big12 or ACC....Why? Because FSU, Oregon, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, etc are in those conferences....and Ive never seen Ohio State play a tough regular season schedule to know if they can get up for 5+ games per year.

Again, nobody is saying Ohio State wasn't awesome last year. What I'm saying is, just because they're great, doesn't mean they should get a 10 times easier path to the playoffs than other teams. And if they ARE going to get that advantage....then they damn sure better not lose at home to shitty teams like Va Tech and still get in. If Boise State played Ohio State's schedule and lost to Va Tech, would they have been considered for the playoff?? Hell No.

At least Baylor and TCU have to play each other and Oklahoma, Kansas State, Texas, etc....FSU plays Florida, Miami, Clemson, Notre Dame, etc....Oregon plays Stanford, USC, UCLA, etc....stil not SEC caliber schedules, but FAR better than that joke of a schedule OSU played. And guess what....Oregon and FSU took care of business on their more difficult schedules, whereas Ohio State dropped a game at home against a bad team.

CadaverDawg
07-31-2015, 09:45 AM
Ok since this whole thread is about OOC Schedule why is just about Ohio St. & their schedule. Why not discuss the other teams who were in the running for a playoff spot

Their OOC aren't any different than Ohio St. & they don't play in the SEC either. Why not the uproar for them?

BECAUSE THEY PLAYED A TOUGHER IN-CONFERENCE SLATE! That's the whole debate. Ohio State shouldn't get the advantage of playing a shitty OOC AND a shitty IN-CONFERENCE, should they?? You're making my point by looking at the differences across the board. Ohio State is the only team you just mentioned that has both a shitty non conference AND in-conference. Yet you have no issue with them cakewalking into the playoffs while also losing a game on that shitty schedule?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-31-2015, 09:46 AM
I don't know because WE DON"T GET TO SEE IT. Therefore, all we know is that they're good enough to beat Bama and Oregon after playing nobody during the regular season, but they're also bad enough to lose at home to Va Tech. So no, I can't say with certainty that they would skate through the Big12 or ACC....Why? Because FSU, Oregon, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, etc are in those conferences....and Ive never seen Ohio State play a tough regular season schedule to know if they can get up for 5+ games per year.

Again, nobody is saying Ohio State wasn't awesome last year. What I'm saying is, just because they're great, doesn't mean they should get a 10 times easier path to the playoffs than other teams. And if they ARE going to get that advantage....then they damn sure better not lose at home to shitty teams like Va Tech and still get in. If Boise State played Ohio State's schedule and lost to Va Tech, would they have been considered for the playoff?? Hell No.

At least Baylor and TCU have to play each other and Oklahoma, Kansas State, Texas, etc....FSU plays Florida, Miami, Clemson, Notre Dame, etc....Oregon plays Stanford, USC, UCLA, etc....stil not SEC caliber schedules, but FAR better than that joke of a schedule OSU played. And guess what....Oregon and FSU took care of business on their more difficult schedules, whereas Ohio State dropped a game at home against a bad team.

Your last paragraph tells it all. The OOC schedule isn't the problem it's the conference they play in. If their conference was better then you would think their OOC schedule is fine. Again we're going around & around in a circle. You feel strongly about your argument as do I. Good discussion though.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-31-2015, 09:47 AM
BECAUSE THEY PLAYED A TOUGHER IN-CONFERENCE SLATE! That's the whole debate. Ohio State shouldn't get the advantage of playing a shitty OOC AND a shitty IN-CONFERENCE, should they?? You're making my point by looking at the differences across the board. Ohio State is the only team you just mentioned that has both a shitty non conference AND in-conference. Yet you have no issue with them cakewalking into the playoffs while also losing a game on that shitty schedule?

Bruh how is Ohio St OOC shittier than the 3 I just mentiioned? You say a shitty Va Tech team but only 1 team I listed that those other 3 teams played you could say yea they'd beat Va Tech & that's Michigan St.

CadaverDawg
07-31-2015, 09:49 AM
Your last paragraph tells it all. The OOC schedule isn't the problem it's the conference they play in. If their conference was better then you would think their OOC schedule is fine. Again we're going around & around in a circle. You feel strongly about your argument as do I. Good discussion though.

Of course that's my point! It's the whole point of this entire thread! Ohio State shouldn't get any praise for an OOC game they play, when they play a shitty 8 game conference schedule. Just like we shouldn't get blasted for a weak OOC when we play the toughest 8 game conference schedule in the country! If anything, the conference slate should matter MORE, because it's more games.

CadaverDawg
07-31-2015, 09:53 AM
Bruh how is Ohio St OOC shittier than the 3 I just mentiioned? You say a shitty Va Tech team but only 1 team I listed that those other 3 teams played you could say yea they'd beat Va Tech & that's Michigan St.

It's not shittier! That's the point! Haha. It should be WAY tougher to make up for the shitty assed CONFERENCE schedule they have.

Let me clear it up....

SEC has incredibly tough 8 game conference schedule with 4 weak OOC games.
Ohio State has incredibly weak 8 game conference schedule with 3 weak & 1 decent OOC game.

So how in the hell does that equal "fair" if OSU gets praised for their 1 slightly tougher OOC team while people ignore their 8 weak games in comparison to our 8 brutal games? Whether they are good or not, they better run the damn table in that scenario to even come close to a playoff in comparison to those with the 8 brutal games.

Johnson85
07-31-2015, 09:53 AM
Nobody plays a tougher schedule than the SEC who's debating that?

Lots of people. Or they don't really debate it; since they know that's not debatable they focus on OOC scheduling, based on some asinine argument that the overall strength of schedule shouldn't matter, but only the OOC games that teams can more or less control. I will agree that if somebody from a shitty conference does all they can and schedules four good (or what should be good) OOC games, they shouldn't be punished for their conference. If a Mountain West team goes out and schedules four usually good teams from major conferences, at least one of which is nationally competitive, they shouldn't be punished for being in a weak conference. But to act like teams like OSU should get credit for playing one decent out of conference team, when they get to play a Big 10 in conference schedule, is ridiculous.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-31-2015, 09:54 AM
Of course that's my point! It's the whole point of this entire thread! Ohio State shouldn't get any praise for an OOC game they play, when they play a shitty 8 game conference schedule. Just like we shouldn't get blasted for a weak OOC when we play the toughest 8 game conference schedule in the country! If anything, the conference slate should matter MORE, because it's more games.

LOL I'm getting dizzy. So the moral of the thread is if you play in a good conference schedule terrible OOC opponents & if you play in a terrible conferecnce play good OOC opponents. Does that about wrap it up?

Maroonthirteen
07-31-2015, 09:54 AM

Yep! could you imagine the pain of MSU being left out last year? THere is no doubt Kirk Herbstret was letting us all know Ohio State was jumping us. Even if we won the EB. IF OSU won the B1G Championship Game, they were in the playoff. OSU did win the B1G CG and in impressive fashion. It knocked Baylor and TCU out....if would have knocked us out too. Im not saying I agree with it. I just think the committee would have looked at the names across the chest plus conference champs and TV ratings........OSU is in.

I don't think there is any question OSUs schedule was weaker than ours. But I am not sure compared to TCU and Baylor's schedule.....OSU went and kicked tail in 2 playoff games. Unfornately, they proved the committe made a good pick. Maybe not fair but....a good pick.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-31-2015, 09:58 AM
Lots of people. Or they don't really debate it; since they know that's not debatable they focus on OOC scheduling, based on some asinine argument that the overall strength of schedule shouldn't matter, but only the OOC games that teams can more or less control. I will agree that if somebody from a shitty conference does all they can and schedules four good (or what should be good) OOC games, they shouldn't be punished for their conference. If a Mountain West team goes out and schedules four usually good teams from major conferences, at least one of which is nationally competitive, they shouldn't be punished for being in a weak conference. But to act like teams like OSU should get credit for playing one decent out of conference team, when they get to play a Big 10 in conference schedule, is ridiculous.

This is where the disconnect comes in. I never said they should get credit or be praised or whatever. I said from my 1st post until now that their OOC schedule is no different than any SEC team out there. SEC fans just have a problem with it because their coference is weak. Which I said they can't help. If I'm Ohio St. why would I do more than anybody else in the OOC schedule just to make SEC people happy. Just like the SEC didn't change their OOC scheduling because of the media talking about our OOC scheduling. Those weak OOC schedules never hurt us they did it because of money. This has been my point from post 1 until now.

Johnson85
07-31-2015, 10:10 AM
This is where the disconnect comes in. I never said they should get credit or be praised or whatever. I said from my 1st post until now that their OOC schedule is no different than any SEC team out there. SEC fans just have a problem with it because their coference is weak. Which I said they can't help. If I'm Ohio St. why would I do more than anybody else in the OOC schedule just to make SEC people happy. Just like the SEC didn't change their OOC scheduling because of the media talking about our OOC scheduling. Those weak OOC schedules never hurt us they did it because of money. This has been my point from post 1 until now.

They shouldn't do it to make the SEC people happy, but ideally, you would get dinged for having a weak conference schedule and then not going out and scheduling good OOC games. Even though OSU was clearly a top four team last year, they shouldn't have been in the playoffs over TCU or Baylor, who didn't lose to a mediocre team. OSU got in because of name recognition and money, not because they had earned it. If you want the playoff committee to try to identify who they think the four best teams are at the end of the season, rather than the four best resumes, then they need to expand to at least an 8 team playoff, give the major conference champions automatic bids, and then let the committee pick the three at large bids.

No team should get penalized for their schedule unexpectedly sucking (for example, it's not FSU's fault that their OOC games ended up being duds last year), but if you're not expected to have a decent conference schedule, you better at least try to have some good OOC games.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-31-2015, 10:12 AM
Even though OSU was clearly a top four team last year, they shouldn't have been in the playoffs over TCU or Baylor, who didn't lose to a mediocre team. OSU got in because of name recognition and money, not because they had earned it.

Baylor lost to a 7-6 West Virginia team & their OOC schedule was SMU, Northwestern St, & Buffalo. What's the difference?

Maroonthirteen
07-31-2015, 10:20 AM
I just want to point out.....since it's being stipulated that OSUs B1G schedule was/is weak.
Saturday
Aug. 30 Midshipmen at Navy Midshipmen
M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore, MD Won 34-17 --- Navy finished 8-5 and won their bowl game
Saturday
Sep. 6 Hokies Virginia Tech Hokies
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH Lost 35-21 --- Va Tech finished 7-6 and won their bowl game.
Saturday
Sep. 13 Golden Flashes Kent State Golden Flashes KState....2-9
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH Won 66-0 ---

Saturday
Sep. 27 Bearcats Cincinnati Bearcats
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH Won 50-28 --- UC finished 9-4 and lost to VaTech in bowl

Saturday
Oct. 4 Terrapins at Maryland Terrapins
Byrd Stadium, College Park, MD Won 52-24 --- Maryland 7-6, lost bowl

Saturday
Oct. 18 Scarlet Knights Rutgers Scarlet Knights (HC) Rutgers 8-5, won bowl gameOhio Stadium, Columbus, OH Won 56-17 ---

Saturday
Oct. 25 Nittany Lions at Penn State Nittany Lions
Beaver Stadium, University Park, PA Won 31-24 (OT) --- PSU 7-6, won bowl game

Saturday
Nov. 1 Fighting Illini Illinois Fighting Illini
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH Won 55-14 --- Illini 6-7, lost bowl game
Saturday
Nov. 8 Spartans at Michigan State Spartans
Spartan Stadium, East Lansing, MI Won 49-37 --- MichSt 11-2 (losses to NC game teams), won bowl over Baylor

Saturday
Nov. 15 Gophers at Minnesota Golden Gophers
TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN Won 31-24 --- Gophers 8-5, lost bowl to Mizzou

Saturday
Nov. 22 Hoosiers Indiana Hoosiers
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH Won 42-27 --- Hoosiers 4-8, win over Mizzour in regular season.

Saturday
Nov. 29 Wolverines Michigan Wolverines
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH Won 42-28 --- UM 5-7, win over ND (9-4) in reg season.

I think the final results suggest the B1G was a good conference last year.

confucius say
07-31-2015, 10:35 AM

And they find those teams based off entire of body work, not just who they think are the best teams on December 7. Jeff long said that numerous times. That is the only objective measurable.

confucius say
07-31-2015, 10:38 AM

On point again.

confucius say
07-31-2015, 10:43 AM

How of you determine which are the best teams other than body of work (I.e. Resume)? Eye test against a horrible schedule? Conference championship in a conference with only two top 25 teams?

MadDawg
07-31-2015, 10:45 AM
Aug. 30 at Navy Midshipmen Sagarin Rating #71
Sep. 6 Virginia Tech Hokies #40
Sep. 13 Kent State Golden Flashes #169
Sep. 27 Cincinnati Bearcats #57
Oct. 4 at Maryland Terrapins #50
Oct. 18 Rutgers Scarlet Knights #62
Oct. 25 at Penn State Nittany Lions #46
Nov. 1 Illinois Fighting Illini #83
Nov. 8 at Michigan State Spartans #6
Nov. 15 at Minnesota Golden Gophers #38
Nov. 22 Indiana Hoosiers #89
Nov. 29 Michigan Wolverines #60

I think the final results suggest the B1G was a good conference last year.

> The average rating of the teams OSU played was 64.25
> They played 3 teams in the top 40 (including #38 and #40). One in the top 10. And won 2 of the 3 games.
> If MSU had this resume, we would not have been ranked in the top 10, let alone top 4.

confucius say
07-31-2015, 10:47 AM

Bc those three had good in conference teams on their schedule, unlike oh st. And the thread is about ooc schedule in relation to strength of in conference schedule.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-31-2015, 10:50 AM
How of you determine which are the best teams other than body of work (I.e. Resume)? Eye test against a horrible schedule? Conference championship in a conference with only two top 25 teams?

The Big 10 finished with 3 teams ranked in the top 25 (Ohio St, Michigan St, & Wisconsin). The Big 12 finished with 3 top 25 teams (TCU, Baylor, & Kansas St). The Big 10 sent 10 teams to Bowls out of 14 teams. The Big 12 sent 7 teams to bowl out of 10 teams. Now tell me again how much better the Big 12 was than the Big 10& why it's a no brainer TCU & Baylor should've been in over Ohio St.

confucius say
07-31-2015, 10:52 AM
Baylor lost to a 7-6 West Virginia team & their OOC schedule was SMU, Northwestern St, & Buffalo. What's the difference?

They beat tcu, ok, ksu, etc

Ifyouonlyknew
07-31-2015, 10:54 AM
They beat tcu, ok, ksu, etc

Ohio St beat Michigan St, Wisconsin, & Minnesota.

confucius say
07-31-2015, 11:06 AM
The Big 10 finished with 3 teams ranked in the top 25 (Ohio St, Michigan St, & Wisconsin). The Big 12 finished with 3 top 25 teams (TCU, Baylor, & Kansas St). The Big 10 sent 10 teams to Bowls out of 14 teams. The Big 12 sent 7 teams to bowl out of 10 teams. Now tell me again how much better the Big 12 was than the Big 10& why it's a no brainer TCU & Baylor should've been in over Ohio St.

Ok. Bc according to power index (sagarin rating) the big 12 finished ahead if big 10, albeit not by as much as I would have thought, and 30% if big 12 teams were ranked whereas only 21% of big 10 teams were ranked.

confucius say
07-31-2015, 11:14 AM
Ohio St beat Michigan St, Wisconsin, & Minnesota.

Baylors strength of schedule power index at end of regular season (when committee selected playoff) was 17. Oh st was 38.

Eta: Source is teamrankings.com

Ifyouonlyknew
07-31-2015, 11:24 AM
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this 1. I don't think the difference was such a wide margin that it was unreasonable that Ohio St was selected over Baylor. Esp when Baylor didn't have a conference championship game & their own conference didn't name them conference champs. That's a debate for another time though. I've enjoyed it fellas.

confucius say
07-31-2015, 11:27 AM
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this 1. I don't think the difference was such a wide margin that it was unreasonable that Ohio St was selected over Baylor. Esp when Baylor didn't have a conference championship game & their own conference didn't name them conference champs. That's a debate for another time though. I've enjoyed it fellas.

Fair enough. You still da man. Go coach em up.

Johnson85
07-31-2015, 11:34 AM

That's debatable. My big issue is that other conferences and media people come up with this arbitrary idea that teams with top 25 SOS and with 3 games against people in the top 15 should be punished for not going out and playing more top twenty five teams in OOC, just because all of the games they play against the top 25 come inside the conference. Whoopty doo. If you play at least one top ten team, at least one top 15 team, and two more games against the top 25, that is going to end up being a respectable schedule, except when it comes to a team from the SEC West. MSU would welcome a break like that that didn't involve two top five teams, yet MSU's schedule is badmouthed because all of its top 25 games come from the conference games. But the biggest annoyance of all, is that we have dumb fans that swallow it hook line and sinker and argue that we need to schedule tougher. W...T...F...?

(not saying that's you; just want how tough our schedule is every year to be pointed out every time this is talked about b/c we have some idiot fans that think we should have a top 5 SOS every year.)

Ifyouonlyknew
07-31-2015, 11:44 AM
That's debatable. My big issue is that other conferences and media people come up with this arbitrary idea that teams with top 25 SOS and with 3 games against people in the top 15 should be punished for not going out and playing more top twenty five teams in OOC, just because all of the games they play against the top 25 come inside the conference. Whoopty doo. If you play at least one top ten team, at least one top 15 team, and two more games against the top 25, that is going to end up being a respectable schedule, except when it comes to a team from the SEC West. MSU would welcome a break like that that didn't involve two top five teams, yet MSU's schedule is badmouthed because all of its top 25 games come from the conference games. But the biggest annoyance of all, is that we have dumb fans that swallow it hook line and sinker and argue that we need to schedule tougher. W...T...F...?

(not saying that's you; just want how tough our schedule is every year to be pointed out every time this is talked about b/c we have some idiot fans that think we should have a top 5 SOS every year.)

That's the thing that's on our fans for falling for it because that's not the reality of it. The SEC has always gotten the benefit of the doubt for being the best conference. We were in the national championship game 8yrs in a row & had 3 teams in the top what 4 or 5 in the playoffs entering November. Now after the West fell on their faces in the bowl games last year that gives the other conferences some ammunition.