PDA

View Full Version : Our OL moving forward...

CadaverDawg
07-30-2015, 02:23 PM
Looking back over the last few years, we always seem to have a wildcard or 2 on the OL going into the season, but Hevesy typically gets it worked out and puts a solid line out there. Sometimes he uses converted DT's, sometimes Juco's, or most times just developed lower recruited guys. But looking ahead to 2016 and beyond, I'm starting to see some things I like on our OL depth chart. Check out this list of guys we will return in 2016, and think about how many were highly thought of OR are being mentioned as "diamonds" by people in the know. Quite an impressive list we're putting together..

Rankin
Senior
Clayborne
Calhoun
J Johnson
Desper
Story
D Williams
Cole Carter
Cochran
Jenkins
Moon
J Thomas
And hopefully Flowers comes back

That is quite a list of guys that are either really good, or are projected to be really good after development. And we'll add a stout Freshman group of names to that list before the season begins in 16.

Just thought I'd help sprout some wool for 16 and beyond. Oh and who will they be blocking for?.....

Shumpert
Williams
Lee
Gibson
Murphy
Dear
Holloway
Etc

And I'm not even getting into QB's and WR's. We have a lot to look forward to, boys.

Eric Nies Grind Time
07-30-2015, 02:28 PM
The QB battle for 2016 is something I am really looking forward to.

RossDawg82
07-30-2015, 02:30 PM
It's really incredible once you see it. We have a great team and it doesn't look like we are hitting the brakes. Very proud to be a bulldog

Tbonewannabe
07-30-2015, 02:54 PM
The QB battle for 2016 is something I am really looking forward to.

I wouldn't mind splitting some snaps at QB to lessen the wear and tear down the stretch.

Johnson85
07-30-2015, 03:09 PM
LT Rankin/Jenkins
LG Clayborne/J Johnson
C Calhoun
RG Desper
RT Senior/Cole Carter

So Malone and Warren are basically the only linemen we are projected to lose out of the two deep? That will be a nice change

Ifyouonlyknew
07-30-2015, 03:16 PM
LT Rankin/Jenkins
LG Clayborne/J Johnson
C Calhoun
RG Desper
RT Senior/Cole Carter

So Malone and Warren are basically the only linemen we are projected to lose out of the two deep? That will be a nice change

Swap out Calhoun & Clayborn. Clayborn is at Center & Calhoun at Guard. Also Kent Flowers will be back in January.

FISHDAWG
07-30-2015, 03:18 PM
but Matt Stinchcomb says we dont even break the top 5 **
last year he said the same thing .... I'm gonna go shoot some crow for the freezer and invite that chump to dinner in November

5 Star
07-30-2015, 03:34 PM
Offensive line is an area where we can find some innovation. When people talk about innovation, it's always zig-zag schematic things like Auburn or Oregon. Well, not everyone can do that. Football, even now, is still a very simple game. I think building ridiculous depth on the offensive line is an underrated way to do this too, especially combined with an offense like Mullen's or Rich Rod's. Beilema does this, but he goes for the beef and power run game with not much spread-type action. More traditional. I'd be willing to sacrifice some depth in other places if we were able to trot out 10 offensive linemen that could play. We would own the 4th quarter.

maroonmania
07-30-2015, 04:31 PM
but Matt Stinchcomb says we dont even break the top 5 **
last year he said the same thing .... I'm gonna go shoot some crow for the freezer and invite that chump to dinner in November

I've just decided that all of these guys do nothing but assess preseason based on how many stars a guy had coming out of HS.

Coach34
07-30-2015, 04:54 PM
Calhoun is going to play alot this year. Desper better keep that high motor he has running wide open.

Maroon_and_white
07-30-2015, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't mind splitting some snaps at QB to lessen the wear and tear down the stretch.

Disagree. I hope Dan selects a starter by 1st game of 2016 and that be our guy.

Goldendawg
07-30-2015, 05:15 PM
Yea, according to these "experts" we can't replace the 2 stars and walk on that just happened to make SEC player of week, AA and are even in NFL camps. I hope our guys have a giant chip on the shoulder and show the world again. Go State.

HSVDawg
07-30-2015, 05:16 PM
LT Rankin/Jenkins
LG Clayborne/J Johnson
C Calhoun
RG Desper
RT Senior/Cole Carter

I think Malone would be eligible for a medical redshirt if he wanted it. He broke his foot in the first game of 2013 against Oklahoma State and missed the entire season. I'm not sure what his NFL chances are, but I could almost guarantee he could get that year back. If that happens, we only lose Warren.

Coach34
07-30-2015, 05:20 PM
Malone has a chance to be drafted- will be signed as a FA at worst. This is it for him

Tbonewannabe
07-30-2015, 05:59 PM
Disagree. I hope Dan selects a starter by 1st game of 2016 and that be our guy.

I wasn't really talking about a straight split but maybe like starter with backup getting meaningful snaps. It would be nice if Dak isn't beat up going into Bama.

Schultzy
07-30-2015, 06:46 PM
It's looking like four seniors and a jr starting next year unless some redshirt sophomores win some jobs which is great to have in the pipeline.

We've never been in this good of shape maturity wise, this staff has managed the hell out of our OL roster.

NCDawg
07-31-2015, 09:02 AM
I note McElroy on the SEC Network said he thought the best we could do this year is 3rd place in the SEC West. He said our OL just isn't good enough to compete the SEC West championship. He also questioned our DB's, which were burned quite a bit last year.

IMissJack
07-31-2015, 09:28 AM
I note McElroy on the SEC Network said he thought the best we could do this year is 3rd place in the SEC West. He said our OL just isn't good enough to compete the SEC West championship. He also questioned our DB's, which were burned quite a bit last year.

Typically 3rd in the west is a pretty good team.

maroonmania
07-31-2015, 10:12 AM

I actually think our OL will end up being a strength when all is said and done. Of losing Day, Beckwith and Clausell, Beckwith was probably the best of the group and nobody even knew who he was outside of MSU before last season. I think Clayborn will do a good job at C and between Warren and Rankin and other candidates we should be fine at LT. In fact, everyone getting significant playing time along our OL this year would have been in the program a MINIMUM of 3 years.

Now in the secondary there is no doubt that our safeties have much to prove.

maroonmania
07-31-2015, 10:13 AM
Typically 3rd in the west is a pretty good team.

Agree, I would expect 3rd in the West this year to be a Top 15 team.

dawgwood
07-31-2015, 10:46 AM
Looking back over the last few years, we always seem to have a wildcard or 2 on the OL going into the season, but Hevesy typically gets it worked out and puts a solid line out there. Sometimes he uses converted DT's, sometimes Juco's, or most times just developed lower recruited guys. But looking ahead to 2016 and beyond, I'm starting to see some things I like on our OL depth chart. Check out this list of guys we will return in 2016, and think about how many were highly thought of OR are being mentioned as "diamonds" by people in the know. Quite an impressive list we're putting together..

Rankin
Senior
Clayborne
Calhoun
J Johnson
Desper
Story
D Williams
Cole Carter
Cochran
Jenkins
Moon
J Thomas
And hopefully Flowers comes back

That is quite a list of guys that are either really good, or are projected to be really good after development. And we'll add a stout Freshman group of names to that list before the season begins in 16.

Just thought I'd help sprout some wool for 16 and beyond. Oh and who will they be blocking for?.....

Shumpert
Williams
Lee
Gibson
Murphy
Dear
Holloway
Etc

And I'm not even getting into QB's and WR's. We have a lot to look forward to, boys.
Do we still have that Rb out of west point.