PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Poll Released

MadDawg
07-30-2015, 10:30 AM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/rankings/coaches/2015-preseason-coaches-poll/

Thick
07-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Arkansas 20 and OM 15? No one taking either lightly, plus every defensive coordinator in he SEC will watch the Peach Bowl footage and/or call Patterson to get the recipe for stopping the Bears. Just don't see it happening for either team. Both will be good, but not sure they can hit 10 plus wins. Now I'm not saying we will either, but I am saying that our defense will be completely different and our offense has more weapons, not to mention that we will still have more game experience on both sides then people realize.

Leroy Jenkins
07-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Number 1 for half a season, lose a bunch of "2* starters", and go unranked. OK.

TrapGame
07-30-2015, 10:44 AM
OM at #15 is an effing joke. Half those teams won't be in the top 25 any longer by week six.

Looks like another year we "surprise" everybody.

BrunswickDawg
07-30-2015, 10:44 AM
And we start at #26 - with 164 points in the poll. So, this year it will only be 4 weeks from unranked to #1**

MaroomerMill
07-30-2015, 10:47 AM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/rankings/coaches/2015-preseason-coaches-poll/

Remind me why this is news? Looks like something we already knew was coming. Can't wait until September 12th

Liverpooldawg
07-30-2015, 11:18 AM
You mean the most talented team in the history of organized sports is only ranked 15th?****

starkvegasdawg
07-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Top 15 ranking, best class in history of the school now juniors, nephew of an NFL great under center with two more 4 stars backing him up, 5 players with a shot at being drafted in the first round, and the bucktoothed one calling the plays. They should be absolutely livid they are only 15th preseason. Did the people voting in this poll not take all that into consideration when casting their votes? And how could they forget the great and mighty Grove and Katy 17ing Perry. This season is already gone.

HSVDawg
07-30-2015, 11:58 AM
Say what you want about Ole Miss and Arkansas's rankings, but the biggest joke is LSU at #13. What is that even based on? They added no significant pieces to an already mediocre team (by SEC West standards), and lost some key players to the draft as well as one of the best DC's in modern college football history. They are basically a clone of Arkansas except Arkansas has two Leonard Fournettes. I'm sure they signed yet another elite recruiting class but how many of those guys are going to make an immediate impact?

Maybe it's just me, but I fully expect LSU to finish last in the west. They have far more question marks than any other team and a difficult schedule to boot.

MSUDawg99
07-30-2015, 12:01 PM
Say what you want about Ole Miss and Arkansas's rankings, but the biggest joke is LSU at #13. What is that even based on? They added no significant pieces to an already mediocre team (by SEC West standards), and lost some key players to the draft as well as one of the best DC's in modern college football history. They are basically a clone of Arkansas except Arkansas has two Leonard Fournettes. I'm sure they signed yet another elite recruiting class but how many of those guys are going to make an immediate impact?

Maybe it's just me, but I fully expect LSU to finish last in the west. They have far more question marks than any other team and a difficult schedule to boot.

Agreed. I can see them finishing at or near the bottom as well & yeah losing Chavis sucks for them.

maroonmania
07-30-2015, 12:06 PM
Well, at least we are not the only West team not ranked (Sorry about that A&M).

mstatefan91
07-30-2015, 12:29 PM
They only release a preseason poll to get people excited (or upset) about football.

That said, it isn't surprising that we aren't ranked. And I would prefer us to stay unranked until we spank some tigah ass in Davis Wade

Johnson85
07-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Say what you want about Ole Miss and Arkansas's rankings, but the biggest joke is LSU at #13. What is that even based on?

They're LSU. Thirteen seems stupid high, but I will give a pass to anyone betting on Miles having a good team after years of recruiting well. I think Miles is on a downward slide at this point, but for all the crap he gets, he's managed to maintain that program for a long time now and it's not exactly a stupid to bet that he will continue to do so.

scottycameron
07-30-2015, 01:39 PM
They're LSU. Thirteen seems stupid high, but I will give a pass to anyone betting on Miles having a good team after years of recruiting well. I think Miles is on a downward slide at this point, but for all the crap he gets, he's managed to maintain that program for a long time now and it's not exactly a stupid to bet that he will continue to do so.

Also, Miles gets a vote. All the SECW coaches get a vote except Mullen (not sure about Freeze). All polls make more sense when you find out who's doing the voting.

whatever
07-30-2015, 02:35 PM

Agree, I think they could possibly finish last if they don't greatly improve at QB.

But Miles is still better than Saban, right guys?

BulldogBear
07-30-2015, 02:57 PM

It's based on 3 letters and nothing more: L... S... and U

It's similar though juxtaposed to the reason we will struggle to win 6 this year as that is a concept based on but two words: The combination of "Mississippi" and "State" into a single short moniker. That is why we will suck.

And that really is about all there is to it folks.... so don't get upset. Let's just finish what we started next year. Dan, no breaks for LSU this year. LEAVE NO DOUBT. IF for some reason it's 34-10 mid 4th again this year, the final score better be 41-10 Coach. We love ya.

Goldendawg
07-30-2015, 05:10 PM
I'd rather start out where we are. Last year it was OL with walkon and 2 stars. Now we can't replace those guys and more that are in NFL camps. As Mullen told the team b4 the LSU game, "They don't know what's about to hit them". And I feel much better with Dias than Collins. Our secondary will be much better and we are loaded with running backs. Hail State.

MSUDawg99
07-30-2015, 05:15 PM
I'd rather start out where we are. Last year it was OL with walkon and 2 stars. Now we can't replace those guys and more that are in NFL camps. As Mullen told the team b4 the LSU game, "They don't know what's about to hit them". And I feel much better with Dias than Collins. Our secondary will be much better and we are loaded with running backs. Hail State.

That's still one of my fave memories of last fall..."I don't think they know whats about to take this field. I don't think anyone knows whats about to take this field!" One of the best games I've ever attended! *Chills*

Dawgcentral
07-30-2015, 07:14 PM
First I'll say we should be somewhere in there, based upon the experience this years starters gained last year.

But we had a dramatic fall off at the end of last year. While its no valid excuse for putting us at 26, it was up to us to invalidate our current position. We're going to stomp LSU at home. Manny is going to bring the heat, eliminating the safety mis-steps that cost us so dearly last year. It's up to us to bring the pain.

The current climate of disrespect doesn't upset me, but it better piss off the staff and players. They are the one's who have to make it happen.

Coach34
07-30-2015, 07:20 PM
Auburn lost just as many starters as we did on offense- plus their QB. But because their Auburn- everybody thinks their O is gonna be awesome. State? No way they can replace all the "talent" they lost.

Dawgcentral
07-30-2015, 07:27 PM
Auburn lost just as many starters as we did on offense- plus their QB. But because their Auburn- everybody thinks their O is gonna be awesome. State? No way they can replace all the "talent" they lost.

I won't argue that point because it's valid. But I think it's going to take more than one 10 win season to make folks admit we are developing players that make the grade. Get 9-10 regular season wins this year. Get 8-10 next year and people will have to recognize. But beware,...Losing Dak will bring out the naysayers next year also. Win big in 2016 and Mullen will be known as brilliant.

VandelayIndustries
07-30-2015, 07:32 PM
I don't get it either, I think our offense can be just as good or better. On defense we did lose some key players so I understand that but we do have a lot of experience back.

Goldendawg
07-30-2015, 07:45 PM
Also at least 3 of our "non-starters" are on multiple national watch lists, C Jones, Shump, and Redmond. Their arrogance and ignorance they have for our program will get their attention when we play the "haves" and beat them. We also have much more coming back than we get credit for. I hated the 1a-1b and hope to have more selective substitution with Manny but it may well help us this yr.

Quaoarsking
07-30-2015, 08:28 PM
Another reason I've seen people down on us this year is that we lost 3 of our last 4. But are they forgetting:

#7 Auburn lost 4 of the last 5 with the one win being Samford
#11 Notre Dame (wtf) lost 4 of its last 5 and 5 of last 7
#13 LSU lost 3 of its last 4
#15 Ole Miss lost 4 of their last 6, including 30-0 and 42-3 losses, and one of those wins was over Presbyterian

Etc. Etc. Why can't they be dinged for the same reasons we are?

Quaoarsking
07-30-2015, 08:30 PM
I won't argue that point because it's valid. But I think it's going to take more than one 10 win season to make folks admit we are developing players that make the grade. Get 9-10 regular season wins this year. Get 8-10 next year and people will have to recognize. But beware,...Losing Dak will bring out the naysayers next year also. Win big in 2016 and Mullen will be known as brilliant.

This is true. Baylor needed several strong finishes in the polls before they finally were ranked in the preseason AP poll last year. Looks like they've finally gotten some regular respect.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2015, 08:59 PM
Another reason I've seen people down on us this year is that we lost 3 of our last 4. But are they forgetting:

#7 Auburn lost 4 of the last 5 with the one win being Samford
#11 Notre Dame (wtf) lost 4 of its last 5 and 5 of last 7
#13 LSU lost 3 of its last 4
#15 Ole Miss lost 4 of their last 6, including 30-0 and 42-3 losses, and one of those wins was over Presbyterian

Etc. Etc. Why can't they be dinged for the same reasons we are?

Strong points

Look, at least we are 26th. This means that, if we take care of business against USM, the LSU game will be a top 25 matchup. If we handle our business against LSU & Auburn, we'll be right back near the top 10.

Here's the thing, the media is down on us in the preseason because they don't think we will do it again, but I have a sneaky feeling that the media and coaches will buy into to us very quickly this year if we show what we can do early.

If we play well against LSU, the thought is going to be, "WOW, MSU is doing it again. Lets just go ahead and put them in the top 10"

I honestly don't think it will take us long to climb the ladder this year.

DancingRabbit
07-30-2015, 09:04 PM
This is the first year Texas has not been ranked pre-season since 1998. Much of the pre-season poll is just a debutante ball. A Who's Who.

Last year showed that not being ranked pre-season is not a season killer. In the past it seemed like such a slow crawl to get to the top for non-ranked teams - we did it in 5 weeks.

Around noon on September 13th we will be ranked.

ETA - If we're not ranked after USM.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2015, 09:14 PM
This is the first year Texas has not been ranked pre-season since 1998. Much of the pre-season poll is just a debutante ball. A Who's Who.

Last year showed that not being ranked pre-season is not a season killer. In the past it seemed like such a slow crawl to get to the top for non-ranked teams - we did it in 5 weeks.

Around noon on September 13th we will be ranked.

ETA - If we're not ranked after USM.

We'll be ranked after USM. No way all 25 teams above us win

Schultzy
07-30-2015, 09:14 PM
But we are ranked, we are ranked 26 and with our sched if we win we will move up fast. Especially if we beat both lsu and auburn early it'll catapult us into the top 10 at least.

Arkansas at 25 is stupid with what they lost on defense and that 1980s offense they run, I predict Beliema is fired before the season is over.

pilldawg
07-30-2015, 09:26 PM
And no one will stay with us. Last year we literally had game breaking turnovers in all of our big games. Luckily Auburn matched us in the turnover department or that outcome may have been different. Also, after rewatching all of the big games, Mullen got a little too aggressive at times. Against Alabama, we were gashing them in the 2nd half and didn't really need to go for the big shots to the end zone. Keep on hitting the short passes and running game and we probably finish off drives or get field goals and win against the Tide. We had their defense on the ropes and let them off the hook with the 2 big interceptions and still had a chance to win if we stop Blake Sims on a couple of 3rd and longs.

DancingRabbit
07-30-2015, 09:35 PM
And no one will stay with us. Last year we literally had game breaking turnovers in all of our big games. Luckily Auburn matched us in the turnover department or that outcome may have been different. Also, after rewatching all of the big games, Mullen got a little too aggressive at times. Against Alabama, we were gashing them in the 2nd half and didn't really need to go for the big shots to the end zone. Keep on hitting the short passes and running game and we probably finish off drives or get field goals and win against the Tide. We had their defense on the ropes and let them off the hook with the 2 big interceptions and still had a chance to win if we stop Blake Sims on a couple of 3rd and longs.

Dan was too conservative in the first half. But I think you have to put the INTs on Dak. I'm sure Dak will play better in the big games this year.

bgover4
07-31-2015, 08:46 AM
Strong points

Look, at least we are 26th. This means that, if we take care of business against USM, the LSU game will be a top 25 matchup. If we handle our business against LSU & Auburn, we'll be right back near the top 10.

Here's the thing, the media is down on us in the preseason because they don't think we will do it again, but I have a sneaky feeling that the media and coaches will buy into to us very quickly this year if we show what we can do early.

If we play well against LSU, the thought is going to be, "WOW, MSU is doing it again. Lets just go ahead and put them in the top 10"

I honestly don't think it will take us long to climb the ladder this year.

So if we make it to #1 this year we could break our own record of going unranked to #1 the fastest. Unfortunately I don't see us getting to #1. I think Ohio State will have that spot locked up all season, even though they wont deserve it.

Prediction? Pain.
07-31-2015, 09:23 AM
This is true. Baylor needed several strong finishes in the polls before they finally were ranked in the preseason AP poll last year. Looks like they've finally gotten some regular respect.

That's a great point about Baylor. I thought of them too when I was discussing this topic with someone on FWtCT a few weeks back. Baylor's actually an interesting comparison for State and it's current (and hopefully continual) rise. Baylor's not a traditional football power, probably even less so that State, but has had recent success. 2009 - 4 wins; 2010 - 7 wins; 2011 - 10 wins; 2012 - 8 wins; 2013 - 11 wins; 2014 - 11 wins. And it took until the 2014 preseason poll for them to get a ranking. (They were ranked 10th in the preseason poll last year.)

Other interesting things about last year's Baylor team: (1) It returned only 9 starters (http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2014/JAN14/DBJan23.html) from an 11-win 2013 team, five on offense, and four on defense. They were tied with Ok. St. for the fewest returning starters in the Big 12. (2) One of those returning starters was a QB (Petty) who had received Heisman votes the previous season. (He finished seventh on the 2013 Heisman ballot.) (3) It's recruiting classes over the previous three or four years had, like State's, largely been outside of the Top 25 (per 247Sports composite rankings), and many of its juniors and seniors were part of recruiting classes ranked 40 or lower.

scottycameron
07-31-2015, 09:28 AM
We'll be ranked after USM. No way all 25 teams above us win

Not only no way, but it's impossible. Week one features several top 25 teams playing each other. Those games have to have a loser, so we're in the top 25 after the first week guaranteed (Beating USM of course). There isn't any scenario where we aren't, really.

ETA - I forgot about one scenario, the teams behind us have great games with blowout wins (like A&M vs. ASU) and we don't look great in a win against USM. It would be possible we stay put and get jumped by other teams behind us. Very unlikely, but I admit it is at least possible.

BulldogBear
07-31-2015, 09:50 AM
Not only no way, but it's impossible. Week one features several top 25 teams playing each other. Those games have to have a loser, so we're in the top 25 after the first week guaranteed (Beating USM of course). There isn't any scenario where we aren't, really.

ETA - I forgot about one scenario, the teams behind us have great games with blowout wins (like A&M vs. ASU) and we don't look great in a win against USM. It would be possible we stay put and get jumped by other teams behind us. Very unlikely, but I admit it is at least possible.

Mah.... even so. As long as we beat them by double digits on cruise control then follow up beating LSU the next week we might even be top 15 come 9/13

scottycameron
07-31-2015, 10:06 AM
Mah.... even so. As long as we beat them by double digits on cruise control then follow up beating LSU the next week we might even be top 15 come 9/13

no doubt, after the LSU win we are EASY top 15, matter of fact I'd put money on being around 10. There is a lot of doubt about us losing so much (in their minds) and repeating a good year. LSU win and all that doubt is erased and voters are back on the bandwagon in droves. We could rocket up the polls. The voters just need a reassurance. Lsu being 13 will remove the doubt.

MSUDawg4Life
07-31-2015, 10:11 AM
So if we make it to #1 this year we could break our own record of going unranked to #1 the fastest. Unfortunately I don't see us getting to #1. I think Ohio State will have that spot locked up all season, even though they wont deserve it.

I think an undefeated SEC team can pass Ohio State. It's just going to be very difficult for anyone to go undefeated in the SEC this year. Difficult, but not impossible.

LC Dawg
07-31-2015, 10:23 AM
The poll I'm interested in is the one after 9/26. Us, LSU, and Auburn will have all played each other and Ole Miss and Bama will have played. If State, LSU, or Auburn is 2-0 after week 4 they will be squarely in the driver's seat in the West. If Ole Miss screws around and beats Bama they will have a lot of momentum going forward.