PDA

View Full Version : Better Topic- which game did we absolutely pull out, with no explanation?

Mutt the Hoople
07-29-2015, 08:59 PM
The losing topic was too depressing. I want to hear about the games we had no business winning, but managed to pull out. I'm not talking about games we knew we had a chance to win, or even mild upsets (The 6-3 Bama game in 1980 wasn't between two completely mismatched teams)...I'm talking about games we had no business winning, that came out of nowhere. Here's mine:

-1994 Tennessee game: Was cussing the TV all day. Peyton Manning was making his first start, and State just played like ass all day long. However, we got a turnover, drove it down, and Kendall Watkins wins the game.

-1996 Alabama: 15 losses in row, 38 out of 39, they were ranked 7th and we were treading water. I even watched the football game at my In-laws' house- I had a superstitution where I would never watch a Miss. State game over there because they lost every time. Because I didn't think they had a chance, I didn't care one way or another.

However, we kept hanging around and finally got a lead with a few minutes left. On first down, their RB clipped off a 30 yard run, and we all thought "here we go again". However, Fat Freddie Kitchens threw something like 4 Incompletes in a row, and we got our first win against Bammer at Scott Field in over 40 years. I and my then-brother-in-law were so loud and screaming that both my kids (toddlers at the time) were screaming in sheer terror (like we cared).

-2009 Egg Bowl: Ole Miss was on their way to THEIR SECOND COTTON BOWL IN A ROW!, while we were in the first year of Dan's tenure. We had lost 45-0 the year before and there was nothing to indicate that we'd win this year. The University of Ole Miss was up at halftime. However, we came out and spanked them like the little effeminate sissygirls their fanbase is. It was my son's first Egg Bowl as a teenager, and he had a blast- he was utterly astounded at the State Students and Ole Miss students cussing each other out in the Junction (250 lb dudes being "held back" by their 100 lb. girlfriends). My son asked, "Are they really that mad at each other?"...yes they are, my son, yes they are.

-1999 Auburn game: Auburn totally outplayed us the first 55 minutes of the game. We had no business winning it...but we did, with Matt Wyatt of all people.

-2002 Kentucky basketball game: Game starts out 21-2 Kentucky. However, Mario Austin leads them back and ties the game at the buzzer with a 3 pointer. Then we win in overtime.

2004 Florida game- Lost to Maine, all the good players except for Jerious Norwood kicked off the team, Florida a top 20 team. However, Norwood finds the end zone, we get the INT and win. Monday, Florida insults our victory by firing their Coach and term "Croomed" goes into the American Lexicon.

-2006 Alabama game- We had Sylvester Croom as corch. We barely beat UAB. We lost to Tulane ("thanks for the check!"). However, we somehow go into Bryant-Denny and win...

Tell some of your favorites.

Smitty
07-29-2015, 09:14 PM
2007 Egg Bowl!

Down 14-0 in the 4th.
Ogre goes for it on 4th and gets stuffed.
Pegues kick return.
Jamar Chaney KILLS Shay Hodge.
Adam Carlson kick

Croom grabs the flag and runs around.

maroonmania
07-29-2015, 09:38 PM
1999 Auburn game
1999 LSU game
1999 Kentucky game
1999 Ole Miss game

Smitty
07-29-2015, 09:42 PM
Not us per se, but Princeton taking out UCLA in 1996 teed us up for the Final Four run. UCLA would have been a tough matchup as defending champs.

BeardoMSU
07-29-2015, 09:46 PM
2006 sec tourney game vs KY. We blow a 17 point lead. The refs are atrocious. We go down like 10 I think. Sent it to OT with a 3 from Jamony. Chuck fouls out on the first play of OT. Jarvis does the same not long after. We some how pull it out, thanks in large part to some clutch FTs from Barry.

Smitty
07-29-2015, 09:53 PM
Winning at Arkansas with Damien running the show in OT.

How we beat Bama in BDS in 2006 still amazes me. We sucked that year. Our only other wins were UAB (in OT) and Jacksonville State.

Schultzy
07-29-2015, 09:57 PM
2013 at Arkansas and they are inside our five yard line in the 4th quarter to finish us off and end the Mullen era. Then Nickoe strips the RB, we get the ball, ultimately win the game in overtime.

Next week Nickoe Whitley strips OM qb inside the five yard line in overtime and Love recovers for the egg bowl win at home again to propel us to our glorious five weeks at number one season in 2014 with Gameday and SEC Network coming to town.

Pulling out that Arkansas game in Fayeteville changed our whole outlook going into the egg bowl and winning the egg that year and then demolishing Rice in the Liberty really flipped the whole feeling of the program I think.

cbrunt29
07-29-2015, 10:09 PM
'07 and' 09 Egg bowls are some good ones. That 09 ole miss team had some talent

CadaverDawg
07-29-2015, 10:18 PM
How bout the year we waxed Spurrier and the Gator's ass in Starkville with Dicenzo and Dontae? Nobody expected us to win that game, much less dominate it the way we did. One of the best experiences being in Starkville for that one. We just flat out ran them out of the stadium.

PMDawg
07-29-2015, 10:40 PM
I was at that 02 Kentucky game. Right behind the basket mario drained the 3 in. I knew it was in as soon as he let it go. My favorite BB game I have seen live.

ScottH
07-29-2015, 11:22 PM
1986 - MSU(Don Smith) @ #8 Tennessee - 27-24 - MSU scored twice in the final 5 minutes and held UT on downs when they had 1st and goal on the MSU 10 at the end of the game.

I can't imagine we have ever had a better athlete play for MSU than Smith. I would love to let Mullen figure out how to use him.

Barking 13
07-29-2015, 11:22 PM
2007 egg bowl.... I was walking out of the stadium when Pegues had that runback... everybody started going nuts, so I told my Dad, we gotta go back...glad we did...

BulldogBear
07-29-2015, 11:25 PM
We were 6-4 and Ogre was 3-7 in the 2007 Egg Bowl. As awesome as it was, I don't think that game is really in the spirit of what was meant by OP. We didn't go into that game expecting to lose.

Barking 13
07-29-2015, 11:29 PM
We were 6-4 and Ogre was 3-7 in the 2007 Egg Bowl. As awesome as it was, I don't think that game is really in the spirit of what was meant by OP. We didn't go into that game expecting to lose.

that's the way I took it... we were getting our ass handed to us, then miraculously won the game in the last few minutes.

There was also a Kentucky game we weren't supposed to win but won nicely.. I can't remember the year

NCDawg
07-30-2015, 01:03 AM
How bout the year we waxed Spurrier and the Gator's ass in Starkville with Dicenzo and Dontae? Nobody expected us to win that game, much less dominate it the way we did. One of the best experiences being in Starkville for that one. We just flat out ran them out of the stadium.

That was 2000, and I think we beat Auburn the next week, who won the SEC West after we blew it. Lost games we should have won to LSU, South Carolina, and Arkansas.

BrunswickDawg
07-30-2015, 05:59 AM
The 1992 Florida Thursday night Shane Matthews "no Mississippi school was good enough for me" game. A total smack down out of no where.

messageboardsuperhero
07-30-2015, 06:13 AM
What about '07 Auburn? I didn't think we had a prayer when I tuned in that afternoon.

I wouldn't really say we had no business beating UM in '09. We physically whipped their ass when we put in Relf, and they never had an answer.

FISHDAWG
07-30-2015, 08:11 AM
Snow Bowl - 99 I think it was ... awaiting the Y2-K disaster

Liverpooldawg
07-30-2015, 08:13 AM
2013 Egg Bowl. We had a one armed Guy and a true freshman with one game's experience at QB and pulled it out.

SignalToNoise
07-30-2015, 08:17 AM
Pretty good list, Mutt.
The 1994 UT game is my first vivid memory of an MSU game. Had great visibility of the end zone when we scored the TD.

1999 Kentucky. This was a Thursday from what I recall. Anyways, I was in high school at the time but made the trip with some friends who decided to leave the game early and trek back to the car. Me and two others stayed behind. Our buddies said they knew we had won when they heard the stadium erupt.

missouridawg
07-30-2015, 08:36 AM
2004 basketball at USCe. Timmy Bowers for 3.

We also had a game were Ben Hansbrough was fouled on a 3 with time expiring (or close to expiring) and hit all 3 free throws to push us into OT at USCe. I believe it was the 2008 season.

DAWGS1
07-30-2015, 08:39 AM
office still.
Don Smith and Louis Clark and the whole offensive line that day
was great. Felker was asked on Friday afternoon by the UT Media
if he thought we had a chance to come into Knoxville and beat the defending SEC Champions,
Felker replied, "If I didn't think we had a chance, I wouldn't have brought our team up here"

sayit
07-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Snow Bowl - 99 I think it was ... awaiting the Y2-K disaster

That was 12/31/00. Y2K was Peach Bowl on 12/30/99...we stayed for the peach drop in downtown Atlanta and every said the city would go black and bombs would go off. Fortunately they were wrong.

Saltydog
07-30-2015, 12:37 PM
State started out either 4 and 0 or 5 and 0 but ended the season at 5-6.

Bama_Dawg
07-30-2015, 12:59 PM
State at Auburn in 99, Matt helped us win that game...amazing comeback.

BulldogBear
07-30-2015, 01:05 PM
The 1992 Florida Thursday night Shane Matthews "no Mississippi school was good enough for me" game. A total smack down out of no where.

I had a class that night. Came home and turned it on. Sweet!!! We were already up 23-6. Was surprised, not totally that we were in the game, but that we were kickin' d*ck! Great feeling after losing to them every year for a nearly a decade except for the 1986 team they had that went 6-5.

Maroonthirteen
07-30-2015, 02:39 PM
This thread is awesome. So many great games....UT 86 and UT 94. The UF game in 92....the 1st game I remember where the atmosphere was electric at Scott field. The players, coaches and fans wanted that game badly. We whipped them that night.

Bama 96....so unexpected! The game that turned the whole program around for a few more years and kept Jackie in town. All without a RB...we were down to 3rd string 5-8 160lb Robert Issac that did a fantastic job that night.

Good call on the ark game 2013. We were so close to losing. Huge huge turn around win.

Old old game..... 84 vs LSU. I think Don Smith was hurt. Orlando Lundie played QB and lead us to a victory over top 10 LSU. Which kept them out of the Sugar Bowl.

FISHDAWG
07-30-2015, 03:12 PM
That was 12/31/00. Y2K was Peach Bowl on 12/30/99...we stayed for the peach drop in downtown Atlanta and every said the city would go black and bombs would go off. Fortunately they were wrong.

thanks ... once you pass 50 the years kinda grow together ... come to think of it I was at that Peach Bowl (lived in Atlanta at the time)

BulldogBear
07-30-2015, 05:27 PM
State started out either 4 and 0 or 5 and 0 but ended the season at 5-6.
1986. Started 6-1 (lost to frikkin USM of course) and tanked to 6-5 to the tune of being outscored 144-12.

Goldendawg
07-30-2015, 05:31 PM
I was at the MSU/Memphis State as a high school student at Belmont when Rockey and the team pulled out the the TD and 2 pt conversion to win. Ran out on the field to brag on players.

Schultzy
07-30-2015, 06:52 PM
office still.
Don Smith and Louis Clark and the whole offensive line that day
was great. Felker was asked on Friday afternoon by the UT Media
if he thought we had a chance to come into Knoxville and beat the defending SEC Champions,
Felker replied, "If I didn't think we had a chance, I wouldn't have brought our team up here"
Jeremiah Sangster was killer on their big RB that day too. Felker said on Knoxville six o'clock news he considered the question of whether we had a chance a slap in the face.
One of my favorite road trips ever.

MaroonState
07-31-2015, 10:45 AM
Not us per se, but Princeton taking out UCLA in 1996 teed us up for the Final Four run. UCLA would have been a tough matchup as defending champs.

Am I the only one upset we played Princeton instead of UCLA. We would have killed them. We wanted revenge badly from the year before. We could have beaten the year before had we not tried to run and gun with them. We weren't built for that. They were.

drunkernhelldawg
07-31-2015, 02:41 PM

Not to mention that Dontae Jones was nursing a stress fracture. We needed that break at the time.

drunkernhelldawg
07-31-2015, 03:32 PM
14-10 over Jim Kelly's ranked Miami team. 84 I think but maybe 82. Miami was an upper echelon program at the time. Looked like they'd scored to go ahead with seconds left, but the TD was called back by penalty. Huge gathering on the Drill Field the next week with Emory Bellard telling the crowd that the atmosphere we had at that Homecoming game was the kind of atmosphere we always needed at Scott Field. I had the hottest date for that game. Still dating her and looking good for tomorrow too.