PDA

View Full Version : St. Joe Greenville and St. Aloysius Leaving MHSAA for MAIS

TheRef
07-29-2015, 01:31 PM
So right now, St. Joe Greenville and St. Al are leaving the MHSAA for the MAIS in the high school ranks. St. Joe Madison, however, is not leaving the MHSAA as they are not affected by the "20-mile rule".

Cathedral will be meeting with stakeholders this afternoon to decide whether or not they will leave.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-29-2015, 01:47 PM
This is a cluster **** of epic proportions. Public schools got their feelings hurt because 2 Catholic schools made it to the 1A state championship in football and decided to enforce a rule that had been ignored for years. They then voted on new legislation that would add a multiplier of 1.5 to each student and would raise the classification of several schools which would "help competition".

MSUDawg99
07-29-2015, 01:50 PM
I'm an alumni of St. Joe Madison (but it was in Jackson at the time). I have memories of playing both of those schools. I also saw them talking about this on Twitter yesterday. Very interesting.

CJDAWG85
07-29-2015, 01:56 PM
I'm an alumni of St. Joe Madison (but it was in Jackson at the time). I have memories of playing both of those schools. I also saw them talking about this on Twitter yesterday. Very interesting.

I am too. I graduated in '04

MSUDawg99
07-29-2015, 01:59 PM
I am too. I graduated in '04

Welp...I graduated in '94. Hush. I don't even wanna hear it! Hahaha.

RBritt
07-29-2015, 02:00 PM
Why isn't St Stanislas included? I'm sure they have players from Louisiana. Hell they may have some from Alabama and Florida.

ScottH
07-29-2015, 02:04 PM
The enrollment multiplier for these schools is a separate issue.

I assume that will greatly effect St And, St Joe and St Stan.

Beaver
07-29-2015, 02:05 PM
This is a cluster **** of epic proportions. Public schools got their feelings hurt because 2 Catholic schools made it to the 1A state championship in football and decided to enforce a rule that had been ignored for years. They then voted on new legislation that would add a multiplier of 1.5 to each student and would raise the classification of several schools which would "help competition".

This is what Georgia does and has done for many years. Many of the larger private schools play in GHSA, but their classification is based on 1.5(# of students).

confucius say
07-29-2015, 02:07 PM
This is what Georgia does and has done for many years. Many of the larger private schools play in GHSA, but their classification is based on 1.5(# of students).

What's the rationale behind the 1.5 multiplier requirement?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-29-2015, 02:11 PM

They say that parochial schools aren't bound by jurisdiction, so they have an unfair recruiting advantage. They apply the multiplier to "even things out".

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Why isn't St Stanislas included? I'm sure they have players from Louisiana. Hell they may have some from Alabama and Florida.

They are in a different Diocese, but they look to be staying from what I've seen.

BulldogBear
07-29-2015, 02:53 PM

Basically. They can give scholarships like a college team. In effect.