PDA

View Full Version : Pick one: MSU goes 10-2, loses egg to 10-2 om, or MSU goes 8-4 wins egg, om goes 5-7.

HancockCountyDog
07-29-2015, 09:57 AM
Ive been debating this all morning. I think I go 10-2, because I refuse to give the bears that much power.

This is a tough one because I would love a 5-7 bear season.

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2015, 10:07 AM
I vote for you to get a life since you were debating this all morning*

Seriously though, I hate these threads. I always vote for MSU to win as many games as possible because it's better in the BIG PICTURE. Sure, if we go 10-2 and lose to Ole Miss it will suck, but that means that we would've beaten all but one of Bama, LSU, A&M, Auburn, & ARK, and that, IMO, is much more important in the big picture than losing one game to OM. Beating all those teams for the 2nd year in a row puts MSU in position to become a national program

TrapGame
07-29-2015, 10:13 AM
I vote we just kick everybody's ass.

Johnson85
07-29-2015, 10:14 AM
Ive been debating this all morning. I think I go 10-2, because I refuse to give the bears that much power.

This is a ridiculous question. We are in a conference with 14 teams and a division with 7 teams. Why in the world would you trade two wins just to beat Ole Miss, much less give up a likely major bowl appearance to do so?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-29-2015, 10:17 AM
I hate these hypothetical questions because some will always choose beating OM. It makes us look so small & petty. We have fans who would rather sacrifice the good of the program just to beat OM. Back to back 10 win seasons to me is a no brainer & something we need to take the next step as a program. OM missing a bowl game isn't enough of a prize to keep us out of our 2nd straight New Year's 6 bowl game.

HancockCountyDog
07-29-2015, 10:22 AM
This is a ridiculous question. We are in a conference with 14 teams and a division with 7 teams. Why in the world would you trade two wins just to beat Ole Miss, much less give up a likely major bowl appearance to do so?

My hatred for the bears is not rational. I fully admit that. I don't think Im alone.

MSUDawg4Life
Ten wins. Easily.

As much as I hate Northern Miss, I want us to win as many games as possible.

CadaverDawg

Do we lose a big bowl game in the 10-2 option, or win it?

What about the 8-4 bowl game and outcome?

The reason I ask, is bc a 10-3 record with back to back losses to end the year like last year...vs a 9-4 season with 2 straight wins while OM loses all momentum, would be nice.

Not a whole lot of difference between 10-3 and 9-4 if you're polishing off the 9-4 year with wins over OM and say a Cotton Bowl, while OM is at home during bowl season.

As great as last season was, losing 3 of 4 to end the year sucked, so give me 9-4 with momentum leaving the season, over 10-3 with another thud at the end of the year.

If the choice is 11-2 vs 9-4, or 10-3 vs 8-5, obviously I take the higher win total. But if only 1 game separates our final record, I want the one with a bowl win and win over OM at the end knocking them to 5-7.

Does that make sense?

messageboardsuperhero
07-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Stupid thread is stupid.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-29-2015, 10:28 AM

The reason I ask, is bc a 10-3 record with back to back losses to end the year like last year...vs a 9-4 season with 2 straight wins while OM loses all momentum, would be nice.

Not a whole lot of difference between 10-3 and 9-4 if you're polishing off the 9-4 year with wins over OM and say a Cotton Bowl, while OM is at home during bowl season.

As great as last season was, losing 3 of 4 to end the year sucked, so give me 9-4 with momentum leaving the season, over 10-3 with another thud at the end of the year.

If the choice is 11-2 vs 9-4, or 10-3 vs 8-5, obviously I take the higher win total. But if only 1 game separates our final record, I want the one with a bowl win and win over OM at the end knocking them to 5-7.

Does that make sense?

I totally understand your logic & you bring up some great points. However I'd still take the 10-2 season regardless of the bowl. The reason why is for the 2nd year in a row we're deep in November with a chance to win the SEC & make the playoffs. The other scenario we're not even thought about by late October. I'm sorry but the exposure & excitement of another potential SEC title run to me is more important than a win over a sub .500 OM team & a Music City Bowl. Again that's just me.

HancockCountyDog
07-29-2015, 10:29 AM

Does that make sense?

Yes - with that explanation, I think go your way.

Also, Im sorry this thread is dumb, lets please talk about soul crushing losses, or how AJ Brown may not come to MSU, good lord.

sandwolf
07-29-2015, 10:38 AM
I take the 10-2 season every time.

Smitty
07-29-2015, 10:43 AM
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/southpark/images/9/9c/Mimsy.png/revision/latest?cb=20100430112701

Doh, hey boss would you rather MSU go 1-11 winning the Egg Bowl or 3-9 losing the Egg Bowl

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/southpark/images/b/bf/Nathan_Captain.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100508210025

Shut up, Mimsy!

Maroonthirteen
07-29-2015, 11:19 AM
To much to factor in.......for instance, is 6-2 in the SEC enough to win the west and a trip to the SECCG? Would OM own tie breakers over other west teams? It would be absolutely SICKENING to be 10-1 headed into the EB at HOME, in the drivers seat for a SECCG and NC playoff spot, and lose to anyone...but especially them. Therefore giving them the tie breaker and trip to Atlanta and knocking us out of the playoffs. I could NOT imagine the celebration that would take place if they won a high stakes EB such as that in Starkville. I know if the situation was reversed.....I would be one smug SOB circling the grove and Oxford square with cowbells.

The 2nd senario, a eight win season which includes a EB win is always, ALWAYS a good year. I could care less what their records is/was.

MadDawg
07-29-2015, 11:27 AM
I think both teams are going to come in with 8 wins.

LC Dawg
07-29-2015, 11:47 AM
I pick 10-2 and 17 Ole Miss.

NYDawg
07-29-2015, 12:16 PM
So you're basically asking if we'd be happier with another 2010 or another 2014? The only difference is that UM finished 4-8, which just makes your 8-4 scenario stronger. Heck, even considering that we beat the crap out of Michigan and lost to Georgia Tech in the bowls, would you really trade another 2014 season for another 2010 season?

mstatefan91
07-29-2015, 01:08 PM
Thread is irrelevant. You are assuming that OM can score more than 10 points a game in SEC play..

HancockCountyDog
07-29-2015, 01:16 PM
So you're basically asking if we'd be happier with another 2010 or another 2014? The only difference is that UM finished 4-8, which just makes your 8-4 scenario stronger. Heck, even considering that we beat the crap out of Michigan and lost to Georgia Tech in the bowls, would you really trade another 2014 season for another 2010 season?

Hmmmm, I liked the way I felt after the 2010 season for months, I hated how I felt after the Orange Bowl.

Then again, the AU game may have been my best experience in Starkvegas.

It's actually a tough call, but I go with 10 wins.

MSUDawg99
07-29-2015, 01:42 PM
I hate these hypothetical questions because some will always choose beating OM. It makes us look so small & petty. We have fans who would rather sacrifice the good of the program just to beat OM. Back to back 10 win seasons to me is a no brainer & something we need to take the next step as a program. OM missing a bowl game isn't enough of a prize to keep us out of our 2nd straight New Year's 6 bowl game.

You heard Coach! Also, there's a reason that they took the Egg Bowl countdown clock out of the locker room. They have bigger fish to fry & we're looking to win a NC some day, not just worrying about beating our petty lil instate rival Ole Sissy. Obsessing over EB win was old school MSU fan mentality. Dan's interested in bigger & better things. We as a fanbase would do ourselves some good if we'd all get on board with that as well.

confucius say
07-29-2015, 02:13 PM

Does that make sense?

To prove your point, the perception of the program and momentum of the program was greater following 6-6 in 2013 than 8-4 in 2012.

gravedigger
07-29-2015, 02:24 PM

Neither, ever. I will not concede one loss this coming season so neither is a viable option

smootness
07-29-2015, 02:57 PM
I want to win as many games as possibly, I want Ole Miss to win as few as possible, and I want to beat them every year. Whatever category you feel that falls into, go ahead and put me there.

shannondawg
07-29-2015, 03:16 PM
My head says 10-2 but my heart says it doesn't think it could handle the threat of a threepeat from those mf's.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-29-2015, 03:20 PM
Our ultimate goal is winning the West & getting to Atlanta. I'll take the most wins every time over a game that only matters in MS.

Schultzy
07-29-2015, 05:02 PM
There have been some depressing threads on here the last couple of days.

Annihilistdawgs

mstate68
07-29-2015, 05:14 PM
I'll take more wins any day, no matter whether we get the egg or not. But like another poster said, would you rather have 2010 or 2014? In 2010 the west was probably stronger. You had 5 teams in that division ranked in THE TOP 15 in the final polls. We also beat Florida in the swamp and OM in Oxford. In 2014 3 west teams finished ranked in the top 25. We beat LSU in Tiger Stadium and beat Auburn, became #1 for 5 weeks, but lost in Bama and got wrecked by OM and GT. Sure, the ending sucked, but you can't take 10 wins for granted being a MSU fan. Give me 10 wins, but I could see why some people (not the majority) would pick the other option

Dawgcentral
07-29-2015, 05:35 PM
Not particularly concerned with TSUN yet. I read about them and the hopes they have, but my concern is overcoming what we could not last year. I'd like to be undefeated again going into the Bama game. Sure, that's quite the hill to climb, but getting over that hump in beating Bama would encourage our guys like nothing else.

I don't think the Confederates have a chance against an MSU team that's 10-1 or even 9-2 in Starkville. Under those circumstances the energy and atmosphere would rival anywhere in the nation.

preachermatt83
07-29-2015, 05:44 PM
Our ultimate goal is winning the West & getting to Atlanta. I'll take the most wins every time over a game that only matters in MS.

In his scenerio, we would not win the west, losing to OM and having OM with the same record as us would likely send OM to Atlanta.

preachermatt83
07-29-2015, 05:48 PM

Does that make sense?

Truth!!

Ifyouonlyknew
07-29-2015, 05:48 PM
In his scenerio, we would not win the west, losing to OM and having OM with the same record as us would likely send OM to Atlanta.

Give me a winner take all game & losing than winning a meaningless game.

HancockCountyDog
07-29-2015, 05:52 PM
Give me a winner take all game & losing than winning a meaningless game.

I agree with 99% of the things you say, but if the bears beat us, in Starkville to go 10-2 and potentially win the West, I may have to walk back to the coast.

I agree in principle that 10 wins is better, but actually picture what losing to those guys would look like.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-29-2015, 05:52 PM
To put it another way you guys would rather be an unranked team that beat a losing OM team than be a guaranteed top 10 team. Says a lot about some of our fans "dedication" to being a championship program.

preachermatt83
07-29-2015, 05:53 PM
I am very tempted to take the 8-4 EB win scenerio Bc of 3 reasons... An 8-4 season gets us a very good bowl.... We win the egg... OM folks will go all out crazy if they have a 5-7 yr and a loss to us. I think you folks thinking OM is going to be an avg team this yr are crazy. As much as it makes me want to puke , OM could easily be 9-2 going into EB. My guess is though that we end up 10-2 with a win over OM and OM ends up 9-3

preachermatt83
07-29-2015, 05:57 PM
To put it another way you guys would rather be an unranked team that beat a losing OM team than be a guaranteed top 10 team. Says a lot about some of our fans "dedication" to being a championship program.

We would not be unranked at 8-4. I'm sorry Dan, but one of my biggest vices is the fact the I literally dispise OM as much as I Love State. I get just as much pleasure in an OM loss as I do a STATE win. I'm sorry, it's sick I know but I literally get sick at the thought of OM finishing ahead of us in the west.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-29-2015, 06:01 PM
We would not be unranked at 8-4. I'm sorry Dan, but one of my biggest vices is the fact the I literally dispise OM as much as I Love State. I get just as much pleasure in an OM loss as I do a STATE win. I'm sorry, it's sick I know but I literally get sick at the thought of OM finishing ahead of us in the west.

A 7-4 MSU team wouldn't be ranked & beating a 5-7 OM wouldn't put us in the top 25 IMO. I hate OM too but I love MSU more & the better we are the happier I am. Back to back New Year 6 Bowls is what big time programs do & that's where I want MSU football. I'd trade 2 OM losses for back to back Orange Bowl & Sugar Bowl trips.

archdog
07-29-2015, 06:09 PM
Stupid thread is stupid.

No idea how to take this statement, but you in no way have to read it and or reply if you think it is stupid.

To better phrase the question, what would you trade for a victory against UM? For me, winning the egg bowl is important, but not more important than winning as many as we can, get a bigger bowl game and national attention.

So if we had to lose to one between alabama, auburn, LSU and UM. Not sure which one I would pick, probably UM because I am sure they are going to lose more than 2 conference games and we would be in position to win the west.

mstatefan91
07-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Stupid thread is stupid