PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Dr Saturday article on Mullen 5-yr eligibility idea

DancingRabbit
07-28-2015, 10:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/dan-mullen-suggests-5th-year-for-players-above-minimum-gpa-205706661.html

I've heard Dan talk about this once before. I haven't given it much thought as to negative implications but apparently Dan is all alone on pushing this.

WTF at the comments. B1G fans are more batshit crazy and obsessed than OM and Barners rolled into one!

BayouDawg
07-28-2015, 10:45 PM
This goes to show that all those BIG yankees are more racist than people in the south

TUSK
07-28-2015, 11:55 PM
This goes to show that all those BIG yankees are more racist than people in the south

not to make it a "Poli" argument, but ^this^ has been true for, at least, half a century...

Quaoarsking
07-29-2015, 07:27 AM
Agreed completely. The whole strategy of burning redshirts shouldn't be part of the game. I sure would've liked to let Aeris Williams or Nick Fitzgerald to get some snaps in last year without making them lose a whole year of eligibility.

PMDawg
07-29-2015, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I think 5 years to play 5 should be the new standard. As a full time student with a GPA around 3.6, it still took me 5 years to graduate with an engineering degree. Granted I was in the co-op program, but I still did 9 regular semesters and one summer of a couple classes. With all they are asked to do, I think 5 years would be fair. NFL types would still leave early, but those who are really only getting an education from all of this would benefit greatly.

BulldogDX55
07-29-2015, 08:18 AM
It would also allow for student athletes to have a greater variety in their choice of major- currently, they are kind of limited to what they can choose because if they play as a true frosh, they have to pick a pretty easy major because they won't have sufficient study time for much else.

Johnson85
07-29-2015, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't want five years of full eligibility, but I would like the red shirt rules to allow players to play some without losing their redshirt. I think RS players should be able to play at least up to six quarters in the first six games. That basically allows one quarter of mop up duty in each game in the first half of the season. I'd like to see up to twelve quarters in the first six games.

dawgs
07-29-2015, 10:58 AM
not to make it a "Poli" argument, but ^this^ has been true for, at least, half a century...

As someone that's from MS and has lived elsewhere for over a decade now, that's just not true. Or maybe it's just my family that's piece of shit racists. That's not saying that no one outside the south is racist or that everyone in the south is racist, but to say the north or west coast is more racist is just false.

Now when I hear stories about minorities being refused service and what not, I'm pretty skeptical of that because that's something I never witnessed and even my piece of shit racist family isn't going to turn away business.

TUSK
07-29-2015, 11:14 AM
As someone that's from MS and has lived elsewhere for over a decade now, that's just not true. Or maybe it's just my family that's piece of shit racists. That's not saying that no one outside the south is racist or that everyone in the south is racist, but to say the north or west coast is more racist is just false.

Now when I hear stories about minorities being refused service and what not, I'm pretty skeptical of that because that's something I never witnessed and even my piece of shit racist family isn't going to turn away business.

there's a difference between being "racist" and being "apparently racist"... if you are talking about the latter, you're correct.

dawgs
07-29-2015, 11:58 AM
there's a difference between being "racist" and being "apparently racist"... if you are talking about the latter, you're correct.

You're right. I'm too ignorant to observe the region I grew up in for 22+ years and compare it to other regions I've lived in for the last 11+ years.

Jack Lambert
07-29-2015, 12:28 PM
To be honest if a student can't get a 2.5 GPA on a 10 point grading scale he doesn't need to play college sports. Heck they probably don't need to be in college.