PDA

View Full Version : How much of an impact did getting rid of Les kenning have with our improved offense?

BayouDawg
07-28-2015, 05:58 PM
It seemed like CDM and Les were never on the same page when it came to play calling. Obviously the biggest reason for our improved offense was Dak, but I also thought that CDM did a better job with play calling (still questionable at times but better). What are yals thoughts?

mstatefan91
07-28-2015, 06:12 PM
Les held our offense back. He's gone. Offense is better.

BeastMan
07-28-2015, 06:17 PM
I'm not sure how much it helped ultimately but Les Keoning as our OC was like tits on a hog

missouridawg
07-28-2015, 06:22 PM
It had no bearing. What made our offense better was going from Tyler to Dak. Les is nothing but a convenient excuse.

messageboardsuperhero
07-28-2015, 06:25 PM
It had no bearing. What made our offense better was going from Tyler to Dak. Les is nothing but a convenient excuse.

Agreed. Our offensive improvement is as simple as looking at who the QB is now.

mstatefan91
07-28-2015, 06:32 PM

Tyler to Dak helped but Les couldn't call his way out of a paper bag while he was here.

BeardoMSU
07-28-2015, 06:36 PM
Tyler to Dak helped but Les couldn't call his way out of a paper bag while he was here.

Uh, he called some great games with Relf, a running QB, under center....

Dawgcentral
07-28-2015, 06:44 PM
Whoever told Tyler he was a decent running QB and should hold the ball that long is to blame.

For some reason, Russell thought he was a good enough runner to be elusive. That just wasn't the case. He never had the sheer number of pass catchers that Dak will have this year. I do think he was a good leader, and a dedicated player.

Back on topic, Les made some calls that really made me wonder why he was on the staff. It's not as though he moved on to another OC job if I recall correctly.

mstatefan91
07-28-2015, 06:51 PM
Uh, he called some great games with Relf, a running QB, under center....

And then couldn't recognize that Tyler wasn't a running QB. Relf was a great athlete who made plays despite what was called many times.

mstatefan91
07-28-2015, 06:54 PM
Not sure why anyone is defending the man. Everyone wanted him gone and then he goes on a tour through MS badmouthing our head coach because sour grapes..

Anyway, that's my opinion. Done with this topic before it blows up into something that it isn't.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-28-2015, 06:58 PM
None

Dawgcentral
07-28-2015, 06:59 PM
Who's defending Les? I must have missed it. I think maybe he was hired initially to get some inroads for recruiting in Alabama. But that's just a guess.

RichardHarrow
07-28-2015, 07:00 PM
I saw the other day where he'll be the new OC at UAB

MSUDawg4Life
07-28-2015, 07:18 PM
None

None? Why do you say that?

I think you call plays better than Les at the very least. I appreciate you being modest, but I think the offense runs better now than it did then.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-28-2015, 07:24 PM

I think you call plays better than Les at the very least. I appreciate you being modest, but I think the offense runs better now than it did then.

That's the thing Mullen always called the offense. Les was just a convenient scapegoat. Put Tyler back at QB this year it would look no different than a few years ago.

BeardoMSU
07-28-2015, 07:35 PM
That's the thing Mullen always called the offense. Les was just a convenient scapegoat. Put Tyler back at QB this year it would look no different than a few years ago.

^^^^ That's a bingo.

Coach34
07-28-2015, 07:41 PM

Mullen has always been calling the plays. All Les did was help gameplan. And about halfway thru 2013- he even stopped Les from doing that

MSUDawg4Life
07-28-2015, 07:50 PM
Mullen has always been calling the plays. All Les did was help gameplan. And about halfway thru 2013- he even stopped Les from doing that

So, when we would see Dan fussing at Les through his headset during the games, what would they be fussing about? If Dan called all the plays, what was there to fuss about during the game?

BayouDawg
07-28-2015, 08:19 PM
I just never understood why we abandoned the no huddle after the 2011 season. I don't know who's decision that was. In the 2013 opener against Ok State we never broke the huddle with more than 20 on the play clock. I don't know if Mullen and Les were arguing about what play to call or what, but that was head scratching to me. We brought the no huddle back last year and it did wonders.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-28-2015, 08:44 PM
So, when we would see Dan fussing at Les through his headset during the games, what would they be fussing about? If Dan called all the plays, what was there to fuss about during the game?

You're assuming Dan was fussing at Les about a play. Ever think about Les recommending something Dan didn't want to do?

Coach34
07-28-2015, 08:44 PM

Les advising Dan on what to run- you got to remember- there are 4 people on the headset- not just Les and Dan.

MSUDawg4Life
07-28-2015, 08:47 PM
Les advising Dan on what to run- you got to remember- there are 4 people on the headset- not just Les and Dan.

Okay. I'll take your word for it.

However, in the early days, it sure seemed like Les called the plays with Dan having veto authority. That's just the way it looked to me - from the outside looking in.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-28-2015, 09:12 PM
I don't know if it's improved offense, but firing him allowed us to hire Brian Johnson. From all indications he is one hell of a coach and recruiter with ties to Louisiana.

Johnson85
07-28-2015, 09:31 PM
Agreed. Our offensive improvement is as simple as looking at who the QB is now.

And who the receivers were, and who the main running back was. Dark is obviously the biggest change, but we got better pretty much across the board. Our offensive play calling is obviously going to be better with a running threat at qb, but a large prt of the reason we couldn't adjust with Russell was thy we didn't really have any of the other pieces either.

Dog316
07-29-2015, 11:43 AM
Les ran the offense Dan put in place. The offense works with the right players in the right positions. It does not work well with a pro style qb. Way to many people posting as experts who just like to throw rocks at glass houses. Les is a great coach and a wonderful human being.

tcdog70
07-29-2015, 12:07 PM
Whoever told Tyler he was a decent running QB and should hold the ball that long is to blame.

For some reason, Russell thought he was a good enough runner to be elusive. That just wasn't the case. He never had the sheer number of pass catchers that Dak will have this year. I do think he was a good leader, and a dedicated player.

Back on topic, Les made some calls that really made me wonder why he was on the staff. It's not as though he moved on to another OC job if I recall correctly.

And Dan doesn't still make calls that make you go WTF??. how about a fake punt when are blowing Auburn away? How about going for it on 4th and 14? How about a fade to a 5'7" wr when the Bear is available. I could go on and on.

codeDawg
07-29-2015, 12:15 PM
I don't know if it's improved offense, but firing him allowed us to hire Brian Johnson. From all indications he is one hell of a coach and recruiter with ties to Louisiana.

Came here to post that. Les was an experienced HC at the end of his career that helped Dan when he needed experienced guidance. Now that Dan is more mature, we have Brian who brings different value to the table.

Coach34
07-29-2015, 12:54 PM
Les was an experienced HC at the end of his career that helped Dan when he needed experienced guidance. Now that Dan is more mature, we have Brian who brings different value to the table.

very good post and dead on.

PMDawg
07-29-2015, 01:06 PM
And who the receivers were, and who the main running back was. Dark is obviously the biggest change, but we got better pretty much across the board. Our offensive play calling is obviously going to be better with a running threat at qb, but a large prt of the reason we couldn't adjust with Russell was thy we didn't really have any of the other pieces either.

Here it is. Last year was our best QB, best WR group, and best OL under Mullen. And probably our best read option RB since Dixon. Plus our best defense. Everything came together last year. I doubt Les had a lot to do with it. But you put Tyler back there, and we weren't going 10-3.

Coach007
07-29-2015, 02:25 PM
Here it is. Last year was our best QB, best WR group, and best OL under Mullen. And probably our best read option RB since Dixon. Plus our best defense. Everything came together last year. I doubt Les had a lot to do with it. But you put Tyler back there, and we weren't going 10-3.

First the remarks about Tyler Russell are way off the mark. I'm never surprised by the masses thinking that the "failure" of that season is on him. That's the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Just like the 8-0 run when we lost to Bama. All of the sudden "Tyler can't throw"... "his passes were off". Never a consideration to an issue we had.. lack of a run game by the RBs. When a DL can stop your run with a 3 man front... your QB is not the issue. At no point has an SEC been consistently successful without a viable run game.

You could have put DAK (and we did btw) behind that OL without a run game and he would have had no better results.

The success of last season is exactly what PMDawg stated. Credit that to Mullen red shirting players and building them while recruiting ready to play guys. It gave us depth that we lacked. The OL was seasoned and when that happens, younger players get to see how that position is played within this system.

To the question.... I believe it helped. To many chiefs.

PMDawg
07-29-2015, 02:30 PM
Nm

Dawgcentral
07-29-2015, 05:50 PM
And Dan doesn't still make calls that make you go WTF??. how about a fake punt when are blowing Auburn away? How about going for it on 4th and 14? How about a fade to a 5'7" wr when the Bear is available. I could go on and on.

Indeed. Dan makes some calls that make is all scratch our heads. But I honestly believe that many of those times he's really over thinking the situation. Hoping those head scratchers will lessen in numbers as he is gaining maturity as a head coach.