PDA

View Full Version : Which game from the past still eats at you?

Coach34
07-28-2015, 12:57 PM
There are games from all 3 sports that still eat at us- Football has Egg Bowl 81, EB 83, Bama 92, EB 97, LSU 2009...Basketball has Final Four 96, Round of 32 vs Dook, and more...Baseball has North Carolina 1989 and others....

What is your game that you cant/wont get over?

For so long mine was 1981 Egg Bowl- Dick Pace (may he be rotting in Hell) just flat out cheated. Cheated with a capital C. But thru the years with the EB loss in 97- I'm leaning to it now. The reason is because we did that one to ourself. I mean Pace did what he did- but we allowed Ole Missus to pick up 4th and 29. 4th and 29. That cant ever happen.

Egg Bowl 1997 for me will be the one that got away

jumbo
07-28-2015, 01:17 PM
LSU 09. Not saying it would make a huge impact, but beating them and getting bowl eligible in year 1 under Dan would have turned some heads.

MSUDawg4Life
07-28-2015, 01:20 PM
Two games: Auburn 3-2. Maine.

I like Coach Croom as a person. I defend him ... but those two games irk the hell out of me.

LC Dawg
07-28-2015, 01:22 PM
SEC Championship Game. It seems to bother me more as time goes by because you realize how hard it is to win one and we had a shot. When Prentiss returned that punt I thought we had it. If we had just a little bit of offense that day we'd have a banner hung.

BrunswickDawg
07-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Agree on 92 Bama and the 98 SEC CG.
I think 99 Bama tops them both. Would have given us 2 straight trips to Atl.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-28-2015, 01:28 PM
2009 LSU - I can't recall a time I've walked out of Davis Wade as sick as that game.

2004 Xavier - We had a Final Four caliber team that year.

Johnson85
07-28-2015, 01:38 PM
#1 - Last year's UM game. Just didn't show up, seemingly disinterested coaches on both sides of the ball, normally good tacklers tackling atrociously. How we did that with all that was on the line is beyond me.
ETA - #2 - Pitch the damn ball; or alternatively, just because you're 5 ft tall, doesn't mean the ball can't be thrown higher than that. I'm irrational in my attitude towards Lee because of that game. Should have nothing but positive feelings for him, but...
#3 - Butler in 2003 - Just extend our defense a little bit and we win. Frustrating as hell to watch.
#4 - Syracuse in '96 - Did Bullard throw the game? Or just completely crack? Not nearly as bad as ast year's UM FB game b/c it was a lot more understandable that we'd come out nervous on that stage. Just frustrating because that's probably the only team we've ever had in any sport that was the best team in the country. This should probably be number #2 b/c of what it cost us, but a lot easier to handle us coming out flustered than just not doing something obvious on defense.

Bama last year doesn't get me too worked up because I can understand coming out tight in a situation like that on the road. The 2nd round Memphis and Duke games aren't as frustrating because we shouldn't have been in that position. We had a good team both those years and screwed up the regular season to end up as an 8/9 seed. The Xavier game probably should be more frustrating than the Butler game because that was probably the best team Stansbury ever had, but Xavier was just on fire and that happens. We weren't nearly as stupid that game as we were against Butler.

maroonmania
07-28-2015, 01:40 PM
You know the game that probably bothered me the most at the time was the 1991 game in Tuscaloosa. MSU was down 13-7 with under 2 minutes to go with second and goal at the Bama 6 inch line. Sleepy comes under center and Michael Montgomery moved early to turn a pretty sure TD into 2nd and goal from the 5. When we jumped like that I just lost it and kicked every piece of furniture in the room. As I pretty much knew would happen, we were unable in 3 tries to get it in from the 5 and turned it over on downs to lose the game 13-7. Of course that's the game that supposedly Bama defenders were all yelling a false cadence to draw us offsides on their goal line and we did. As usual we got no help from the refs in the situation. I really can't remember a game that I've ever gotten that upset over in the moment since then.

cbrunt29
07-28-2015, 01:47 PM
Auburn. 3-2. That is all.

FlabLoser
07-28-2015, 01:56 PM
You know the game that probably bothered me the most at the time was the 1991 game in Tuscaloosa. MSU was down 13-7 with under 2 minutes to go with second and goal at the Bama 6 inch line. Sleepy comes under center and Michael Montgomery moved early to turn a pretty sure TD into 2nd and goal from the 5. When we jumped like that I just lost it and kicked every piece of furniture in the room. As I pretty much knew would happen, we were unable in 3 tries to get it in from the 5 and turned it over on downs to lose the game 13-7. Of course that's the game that supposedly Bama defenders were all yelling a false cadence to draw us offsides on their goal line and we did. As usual we got no help from the refs in the situation. I really can't remember a game that I've ever gotten that upset over in the moment since then.

Ditto, only we didn't turn it over on downs. Sleepy threw an INT on 4th down. Probably just threw it up because there wasn't a play there and it was 4th down.

Another Bama game - may have been the next year when Jay Barker comes to town and Bama's OL are holding and plainly tackling our DL all night and the refs let it all slide. Jackie almost busted a forehead vein and spewed blood all over the sideline refs.

The CWS where we're about to win it all, and our pitcher then a baseball hits our pitcher right in the ankle.

Ralph
Most recently football, @Auburn 2013, But I'll never truly recover from Maine

Basketball, Butler 2003

sandwolf
Our last two trips to Auburn were really, really hard to swallow.

BrunswickDawg
07-28-2015, 01:57 PM
Another Bama game - may have been the next year when Jay Barker comes to town and Bama's OL are holding and plainly tackling our DL all night and the refs let it all slide. Jackie almost busted a forehead vein and spewed blood all over the sideline refs.

The CWS where we're about to win it all, and our pitcher then a baseball hits our pitcher right in the ankle.
Pretty sure that was 92

Liverpooldawg
07-28-2015, 01:59 PM
Football: 81 Egg Bowl, 99 Bama, the "Stand" Egg Bowl, 82 Bama, I don't remember the exact year but there was one against Florida when Bruce Threadgill was QB where we both came in either #11 or #12 that we could have won, 91 Bama.

Basketball: the Final Four Game, 85 at home with UK

Baseball: the game where Gene Morgan got hit on the foot at the CWS

missouridawg
07-28-2015, 02:05 PM
Xavier 2004 - basketball

LSU 2009 - football

Auburn 2011 - football

FlabLoser
07-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Xavier 2004 - basketball

LSU 2009 - football

Auburn 2011 - football

Solid choices. That's the pitch-it-to-Dixon LSU game and the Cam Newton game where if we don't drop a wide open deep ball we probably win the game.

sandwolf
07-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Solid choices. That's the pitch-it-to-Dixon LSU game and the Cam Newton game where if we don't drop a wide open deep ball we probably win the game.

The Cam Newton game was 2010.

maroonmania
07-28-2015, 02:11 PM
Ditto, only we didn't turn it over on downs. Sleepy threw an INT on 4th down. Probably just threw it up because there wasn't a play there and it was 4th down.

Yep, that was the 92 game. That year it definitely looked like Bama was being protected by the SEC as they were undefeated coming into Starkville. If I remember that year we were up 21-20 in the 4th quarter with Bama driving and we hit Jay Barker in the pocket with the ball flying backwards and we recovered only to have the refs call a phantom incomplete pass and Bama kept the ball and scored to go ahead 23-21 (I think). I was pretty pissed with that game as well.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
07-28-2015, 02:11 PM
FB - 1a) Auburn 2011 1b) Auburn 2010

BB - 1a) 2010 Kentucky at home 1b) 2010 Kentucky SECT

the Butler game sticks out from my childhood, more so than Xavier

the Maine game was during my 1st season w/ season tickets so for me it's just a symbol of how far we've come during my time at Davis Wade

jumbo
07-28-2015, 02:12 PM
2009 LSU - I can't recall a time I've walked out of Davis Wade as sick as that game.

I honestly almost threw up

missouridawg
07-28-2015, 02:15 PM

The 2011 Auburn game was the "how the **** did Ballard not score a TD there... then, how the **** did Relf not fall forward" game

2010 Auburn was miserable too... and a worthy nomination. Catch the ball Broomfield or Berry. Either one.

shoeless joe

It was a little more than just a wide open deep ball that berry couldn't corral. The 2 plays I remember from that game were the broomfield sure pick 6 drop and relf over throwing a wide open Perkins on pass over the middle where no one was anywhere near him...both would have been TDs.

MSUDawg4Life
I honestly almost threw up

It did feel like a kick in the stomach. I know Tyson Lee wanted to win as much as anyone, but just pitch the ball to Dixon ....

ScoobaDawg
07-28-2015, 02:18 PM

3-2 took years off everyones life that night. Thats the only time I've gone past being mad to close to being certifiably loony. But in the whole sense of things, its now easy to block out because it was part of the whole Croom era which I just overlook now and choose to forget it happened.
92 Bama... Only heard about..but Michael Montgomery was the OL coach at my high school. Enough said.
Sec Championship Game ..As noted. it was our shot. 17 years later. Even if the rest of Jackies years stayed the same. to win that would of changed the program.
09 LSU Game - best 5-7 team in America. Not sure if it would of changed much to where we are now. But would of been so much sweeter to break the curse that year.

Honorable Mention... BYU. **** their refs. their players. their coaches.

Basketball.
Kentucky... at home the tip in in 2004. a lot of other painful memories but that one will always stick out.

Baseball...
How can Noone mention 85 vs Texas. yes it was bad luck and nothing can be done. but that line drive doesnt go off gene morgans ankle and we win a NC very possibly.

This boxscore will always bother me... How the hell does this happen.

Score by Innings R H E
-------------------------------------------
Mississippi State... 123 020 301 - 12 15 1
Louisiana Tech...... 022 000 027 - 13 14 1
-------------------------------------------
http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=945073

Louisiana Tech 9th - Bratton to rf for Flagg. Grunenwald to c for Boyce.
Grunenwald grounded out to p. Lacy pinch hit for Cobb. Lacy grounded out to ss
(0-0). Jones singled through the left side (3-1). Shaw pinch ran for Jones.
Bascle singled to left field (0-0); Shaw advanced to second. Kersten doubled
down the lf line, RBI; Bascle advanced to third; Shaw scored. Hamilton singled
to left field, RBI (0-0); Kersten advanced to third; Bascle scored. Valentine
to p for Wilson. Ramon doubled to left center, RBI (0-0); Hamilton advanced to
third; Kersten scored. Tabor pinch hit for Thomas. Tabor walked (3-2). Winn
pinch ran for Tabor. McCarthy singled through the right side, RBI (0-0); Winn
advanced to second; Ramon advanced to third; Hamilton scored. Grunenwald
singled to left field, 2 RBI (0-0); McCarthy advanced to second; Winn scored;
Ramon scored. Lacy singled to right field, RBI (0-1); Grunenwald advanced to
second; McCarthy scored. 7 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors, 2 LOB.

drunkernhelldawg
07-28-2015, 02:19 PM
Maybe not the biggest, but West Virginia hitting that three to knock us out of the NIT. Lots of others. That game during the 90's when we led Bama by 10 with 5 minutes to go. The SECCG was obviously the biggest. Also, Memphis in the NCAA.

shoeless joe
07-28-2015, 02:21 PM
2000 at LSU is a tough one to swallow...just like '11 at auburn. Both games where the refs decided close enough was good enough.

'04 at home against Kentucky in basketball was devastating but the Xavier game was huge in regards to what that team was capable of.

In baseball I still get pissed when I think about russ sneed choking on a routine grounder which allowed another batter to hit which in turn costs Rickey Bowen a no no against Umiss. Also the '03 regional against UNC where pap couldn't close it out. BUT the biggest game that still irks me is the 98 CWS against LSU. That was not a strike on brooks Bryan and that changed the course of that inning...if that call is made correctly I feel we win that game and are sitting pretty to go to the championship game.

Johnson85
07-28-2015, 02:33 PM

No game from Croom's years should bother you, because any additional game we pull out while he was here raises the risk of prolonging our misery.

Similarly, the 2011 Auburn game, while incredibly frustrating at the time, I don't think would have made a huge difference in the long run. That season was done in by injuries on the Oline and maybe to Relf (no clue how much of the playcalling was due to his ribs being sore and how much of it was a lack of faith in our running game). We finish 7-5 rather than 6-6, and I'm not sure it makes a huge difference in our trajectory. The 2009 LSU game may not have either, but I think going to a bowl game would have maybe accelerated the climb a little.

Smitty
07-28-2015, 02:35 PM
2014 Egg Bowl, damnit Geoff Collins!

2010 Auburn- damnit that one was tough, great season though

Vs Johnny Manziel at home in 2012 because that was an absolutely pathetic 1st half. It eats at me thinking about that awful performance. Chris Wilson was a joke.

drunkernhelldawg
07-28-2015, 02:39 PM
2014 Egg Bowl, damnit Geoff Collins!

2010 Auburn- damnit that one was tough, great season though

Vs Johnny Manziel at home in 2012 because that was an absolutely pathetic 1st half. It eats at me thinking about that awful performance. Chris Wilson was a joke.

I like your angle. How about that Wake Forest game to open our post Final Four season?

Prediction? Pain.
07-28-2015, 02:43 PM
These are all great choices. Alabama '99, Auburn '10, '11, and '13, and LSU '09 were all gut punches. (LSU may have been the most gruesome, though.)

Another that I think about from time to time is Arkansas '10. Like the Auburn game that year, we were so damn close to beating at Top 15 team. The end was so disappointing.

For basketball, the Duke, Xavier, and Syracuse losses all still sting. But I'm adding the '08 Memphis game in the round of 32 to the list. We were built to compete with a team like Memphis, and we were so close.

Smitty
07-28-2015, 02:52 PM
UCLA in Omaha stings like a MF.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-28-2015, 02:53 PM
2011 v USCe (A.Jeffery TD late to win)
2010 v Arky (Nick Bell game)
2000 v Arky (17ing miserable weather)

Smitty
07-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Looking back at what 2000 could have been stings a lot. We easily could have been undefeated going into the Egg

BulldogBear
07-28-2015, 03:14 PM
I'll do mine as a top 5 (1 being worst)

#1 LSU 2009 (football)
#2 Kentucky 2012 (basketball)
#3 Kentucky 2010? 11? 12?, can't remember. SEC tournament championship game. Recent. (basketball)
#4 Alabama 1991 (football). Not a misprint. I don't mean 1992. Really. 1991 @ Bama
#5 Houston 2009 (football)

drunkernhelldawg
07-28-2015, 03:30 PM
I'll do mine as a top 5 (1 being worst)

#1 LSU 2009 (football)
#2 Kentucky 2012 (basketball)
#3 Kentucky 2010? 11? 12?, can't remember. SEC tournament championship game. Recent. (basketball)
#4 Alabama 1991 (football). Not a misprint. I don't mean 1992. Really. 1991 @ Bama
#5 Houston 2009 (football)

Also, Houston 1969

Beaver
07-28-2015, 03:32 PM
2014 Egg is obvious choice since we either would've made the 1st ever playoff, or would've had a nice bowl game performance like TCU..

2010 Arkansas was really hard to swallow. Nick Bell game, senior night, insane crowd, chance for 9-3... I was in the stadium texting a friend watching at home asking if the replay showed Ballard scoring or fumbling out of the endzone. The refs spent forever looking at it, and they wouldn't show the replay in the stadium.

PMDawg
07-28-2015, 03:34 PM
Bama '99 - bullshit holding call
Arkansas '00 - 6 hours in freezing rain and sleet for that shit
South Carolina '00 - we had a 4th qtr lead and gave it up to a team that lost 22 straight. And holtz said before the game the backup QB threw a mean fade. Smoot got burned by the fade from the backup QB. I drove 10 hours for that.
LSU '00 - drove there too. Up 14 points in 4th qtr. Lost in OT. We scored on the first play and were better all night but still lost. The walk of shame from tiger stadium was awful.
BYU '01 - we won that game. Those Godless heathens cheated.
LSU '09 - I really thought we had that game won with 4 tries to score. My stomach hurt after that.

Basketball, it's Xavier and nothing else comes close.

For football, I will go with 99 Bama just because they cheated us out of the West. Like they needed another banner anyway. Those Mormons are second, and only because that game meant nothing due to the wasted season.

Bothrops
07-28-2015, 03:36 PM
I'll just go with more recent games

2008 Auburn- Definition of playing not to lose. Just awful.

2009 LSU- We had their asses against the ropes on a wet field and in the daytime, still found a way to lose.

2013 Northwestern- We were a no show on that trip.

2013 Oklahoma State- I think we had better athletes and just as much overall talent, but we looked totally inept with poor qb performance. That game sucked.

2013 Auburn- Couldn't stop a single big play on their last drive. I was sick, and dangerous afterward.

2014 Ole Miss- We were awful in last year's EB.

NCDawg
07-28-2015, 03:44 PM
Mine, as far as football, is as follows, with no. 1 being the worst:

1- '81 Egg Bowl
2- 2000 Arkansas Game
3- '81 Alabama Game
4- '99 Alabama Game
5- 2000 LSU and South Carolina games (tie)

Billy Ray Valentine
07-28-2015, 03:53 PM
Ditto. I was there. Throw in about 5 Jack n cokes and imagine how pissed I was

tcdog70
07-28-2015, 04:06 PM
Lindsey Scott running for a TD against Fla. Kept us from winning SEC Championship and Sugar Bowl--the Run Lindsey Run game

shoeless joe
07-28-2015, 04:10 PM
South Carolina '00 - we had a 4th qtr lead and gave it up to a team that lost 22 straight. And holtz said before the game the backup QB threw a mean fade. Smoot got burned by the fade from the backup QB. I drove 10 hours for that.
LSU '00 - drove there too. Up 14 points in 4th qtr. Lost in OT. We scored on the first play and were better all night but still lost. The walk of shame from tiger stadium was awful.
LSU '09 - I really thought we had that game won with 4 tries to score. My stomach hurt after that.

For football, I will go with 99 Bama just because they cheated us out of the West. Like they needed another banner anyway. Those Mormons are second, and only because that game meant nothing due to the wasted season.

Roberson got beat on that fade...not smoot

PMDawg
07-28-2015, 04:16 PM
Roberson got beat on that fade...not smoot

You're right. Didnt Smoot get beat on a deep ball earlier on the drive? I thought he got beat bad that game...coulda been another one though.

BulldogBear
07-28-2015, 04:20 PM
2014 Egg is obvious choice since we either would've made the 1st ever playoff, or would've had a nice bowl game performance like TCU..

2010 Arkansas was really hard to swallow. Nick Bell game, senior night, insane crowd, chance for 9-3... I was in the stadium texting a friend watching at home asking if the replay showed Ballard scoring or fumbling out of the endzone. The refs spent forever looking at it, and they wouldn't show the replay in the stadium.

I hate this one too. Really, it shouldn't matter. That is a bullsheit rule that should've been changed ages ago. If I fumble forward anywhere else on the field and it goes out of bounds, the other team doesn't get the ball. It is simply brought back to the point of the fumble. WT17 is this any different? BS

Jacksondevildog
07-28-2015, 04:28 PM
Kendall Roberson got burned on the fade. There is a pic of that with his head turned around not knowing where the ball was, but the USC wide receiver sure did.

FlabLoser
07-28-2015, 04:28 PM
The Cam Newton game was 2010.

You're right. The Auburn shoulda-couldas kind of run together. That's one reason 2014 was so sweet.

Ralph
07-28-2015, 05:01 PM
We would've won 2009 LSU if T. Lee had been outfitted with the proper equipment as demonstrated below...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26635632/Lee%20LSU.jpg

BrunswickDawg
07-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Lindsey Scott running for a TD against Fla. Kept us from winning SEC Championship and Sugar Bowl--the Run Lindsey Run game
Growing up an UGA fan, that play and Herschel's flattening of Bill Bates are two of the greatest plays and radio calls ever.

SheltonChoked
07-28-2015, 06:33 PM
1996 vs Syracuse.

If Bullard doesn't turn it over 8 times. We win it all.

Dawgcentral
07-28-2015, 07:05 PM
1996 vs Syracuse.

If Bullard doesn't turn it over 8 times. We win it all.

Didn't we turn it over around 25 times in that game? Seems like turnovers were our biggest weakness that year.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
07-28-2015, 07:44 PM
Two games: Auburn 3-2. Maine.

I like Coach Croom as a person. I defend him ... but those two games irk the hell out of me.

Then why do you defend him? Four of the five years of the Croom Error were basically those two games. Game after game. Week after week. Season after season.

archdog
07-28-2015, 08:02 PM

That was my bachelor party.

RBritt
07-28-2015, 08:05 PM
Weren't we up at half vs Cuse? I was in the 9th grade and still hate Cuse with a passion.

sbcmortgageman
07-28-2015, 08:31 PM
Auburn '13

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-28-2015, 09:08 PM
That 2001 game v Troy in the tornado is up there for me as well. Crazy rain that day!

beretta
07-28-2015, 09:37 PM
Nothing hurts me more than my whiskey tears of the 97 Egg bowl.....UM scores on opening drive, after that, they didn't cross the 50 the rest of the game till the last drive....we led 14-7 the whole game....when we went prevent with a minute left and they scored, i knew what Tubbs was going to do, and I walked out of the stadium, with a good whiskey buzz....I walked under the north end zone and watched the UM crowd roar.....and tears went down my face....literally.....i know stewart patridge, and whenever i see him, i always bring that game up......i don't go to egg bowls any more because of that game.....too damn emotional for me

BulldogBear
07-28-2015, 10:21 PM
Nothing hurts me more than my whiskey tears of the 97 Egg bowl.....UM scores on opening drive, after that, they didn't cross the 50 the rest of the game till the last drive....we led 14-7 the whole game....when we went prevent with a minute left and they scored, i knew what Tubbs was going to do, and I walked out of the stadium, with a good whiskey buzz....I walked under the north end zone and watched the UM crowd roar.....and tears went down my face....literally.....i know stewart patridge, and whenever i see him, i always bring that game up......i don't go to egg bowls any more because of that game.....too damn emotional for me

That game has always been for me the formula for how to pull an upset. You just hang around and hang around till the end of the game and then anything can happen. We dominated the whole game but couldn't or wouldn't put them away. Then anything happened. Sigh.

dparker
07-29-2015, 08:34 AM
We would've won 2009 LSU if T. Lee had been outfitted with the proper equipment as demonstrated below...

That is hilarious!

Coach34
07-29-2015, 08:42 AM

Yep. Turned out to be a killer for us. And won them the NC

tcdog70
07-29-2015, 12:15 PM
I was in the Middle of Butler Fans and knew we had the far better team. Timmy had a shitty game. But we still had the game. Butler gets the ball and we have a foul to give--we let the little White Guy drive it up the court and roll one in--Then i throw up in my mouth.

Goat from MSU
07-29-2015, 01:17 PM
That by far was the basketball game that I will never forget and the 81 Bama Football game ,we had that one won.
I was in the Middle of Butler Fans and knew we had the far better team. Timmy had a shitty game. But we still had the game. Butler gets the ball and we have a foul to give--we let the little White Guy drive it up the court and roll one in--Then i throw up in my mouth.

Lloyd Christmas
07-29-2015, 02:00 PM
2009 LSU game.

5 Star
07-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Football - Auburn 2011, Alabama 2014, Ole Miss 2014, Alabama 1999
Basketball - Xavier 1996
Baseball - North Carolina 1989, North Carolina 2003, UCLA Game 1

fader2103
07-29-2015, 06:36 PM
83 egg bowl. The immaculate deflection

drunkernhelldawg
07-29-2015, 06:53 PM
What was the year OM won the Egg by scoring following an obviously bogus Pass Interference call. That was back when PI was spot of foul, so OM got the ball on the one. Know it was in the 80's, but not sure which year.

Goldendawg
07-29-2015, 07:27 PM
What was the year OM won the Egg by scoring following an obviously bogus Pass Interference call. That was back when PI was spot of foul, so OM got the ball on the one. Know it was in the 80's, but not sure which year.

It was 1981.