PDA

View Full Version : Prescott's Physique: Foreshadowing for the Future?

BeastMan
07-28-2015, 12:07 PM
http://3rdand57.com/prescott-physique-foreshadowing-the-future/

FlabLoser
07-28-2015, 12:10 PM
I don't see it. We'll see what they list for his weight in this year's roster.

BeastMan
07-28-2015, 12:17 PM
I don't see it. We'll see what they list for his weight in this year's roster.

If you don't think Dak has lost weight (A) You're blind (B) Need to click the link and listen to Mike Detillier on OOB who has covered him since HS (C) Roster weights are as worthless as weights on women's drivers licenses

MSUDawg4Life
07-28-2015, 12:21 PM
I'm not buying it either. I don't believe Detillier can look at Dak in a suit and tell he's slimmer than last year. Those three games we were more pass-centric in at the end of last year? We lost those games.

You've got to run the ball well to win in this conference. For us, that starts with Dak.

I understand Dak's passing will need to improve for the NFL, but Dak has been working on improving that anyway. He stills understands what makes our offense work and that's running the ball.

dparker
07-28-2015, 12:24 PM
I'm a little concerned if we try to be a pass first team. You hit on all the reasons why it could be successful (experienced WR, etc.). However, that just doesn't seem to be Mullen's offensive philosophy/forte. Everything so far seems to be run first and when we get away from it we don't have good years. Think Tyler Russell's senior year. Plus in the back of my mind this has echo's of Relf's senior year when everyone said how much he worked to improve his footwork/passing. I hope we are still a run first team but rely on the RB to carry the load moreso than Dak.

BeastMan
07-28-2015, 12:24 PM
I'm not buying it either. I don't believe Detillier can look at Dak in a suit and tell he's slimmer than last year. Those three games we were more pass-centric in at the end of last year? We lost those games.

You've got to run the ball well to win in this conference. For us, that starts with Dak.

I understand Dak's passing will need to improve for the NFL, but Dak has been working on improving that anyway. He stills understands what makes our offense work and that's running the ball.

He wasn't wearing a suit at the Manning passing academy.

Jack Lambert
07-28-2015, 12:26 PM
If you don't think Dak has lost weight (A) You're blind (B) Need to click the link and listen to Mike Detillier on OOB who has covered him since HS (C) Roster weights are as worthless as weights on women's drivers licenses

Just look at the schedule poster. He is thinner.

BeastMan
07-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Just an FYI, if you're not buying that Dak has trimmed down you are buying being 100% wrong. Now we can discuss if this means anything like passing more or running less but Dak has cut down and that's not even remotely debatable

BeastMan
07-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Just look at the schedule poster. He is thinner.

Thank you

FlabLoser
07-28-2015, 12:28 PM

Or (D) we need better pictures.

FlabLoser
07-28-2015, 12:33 PM
OK let's say Dak is slimmer. There is no way I think that signals a change in our offense. We were balls to the wall awesome last year. Dak played a B- game against Bama in Tuscaloosa. The defense laid a rotten egg in Oxford. Our DC checked out of our bowl game. That's about all you can say about negatives from last year. Our offensive strategy was never the problem. We put of something like the 6th best offensive numbers in all of SEC HISTORY.

Maybe Dak worked extra hard on his conditioning and couldn't help but be leaner.

I don't see that pointing to pass-first. Dak wouldn't need to be leaner for pass-first.

Odds are better that Dak did in the offseason what Dixon did in his last collegiate offseason - and that's get in the absolute best shape he can possibly be in.

MSUDawg4Life
07-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Just an FYI, if you're not buying that Dak has trimmed down you are buying being 100% wrong. Now we can discuss if this means anything like passing more or running less but Dak has cut down and that's not even remotely debatable

Come on, Beast. Dak's a workout warrior. He could be the same weight with less body fat. What you all think is "trimmed down" could be just a natural progression of his workouts and proper diet. I seriously doubt Dak weighs much less than he did last year if any at all.

I don't believe it. None. Sorry bro.

ETA:

And if we change our offense to pass-first, we hand the SEC West championship to Auburn. Or Alabama. Just give it to them. Because they are going to run the ball.

BeastMan
07-28-2015, 12:38 PM
Come on, Beast. Dak's a workout warrior. He could be the same weight with less body fat. What you all think is "trimmed down" could be just a natural progression of his workouts and proper diet. I seriously doubt Dak weighs much less than he did last year if any at all.

I don't believe it. None. Sorry bro.

The name of the article is Prescott's Pysique. It's not "Dak lost 15 lbs". Dak's physique has changed. its a discussion about if the change in Pysique is a signal to anything.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-28-2015, 12:41 PM
1. Dak has slimmed his body up. Does that mean he weighs any less? Maybe not but he's done the work to be more flexible & not as bulky.

2. We're never going to be a "pass first" team but will be closer to 50/50 run/pass ratio than we've ever been. We'd be foolish not to. Our identity won't change we'll still be physical, tough, hard nosed team but you'd be crazy not to take advantage of the QB & group of WR's we have on campus.

MSUDawg4Life
07-28-2015, 12:43 PM
The name of the article is Prescott's Pysique. It's not "Dak lost 15 lbs". Dak's physique has changed. its a discussion about if the change in Pysique is a signal to anything.

Still, if he has added muscle and lost fat - which would change his physique - why would that signal a change to a pass-first offense? If anything, that would suggest preparation to run the ball to me.

BeastMan
07-28-2015, 12:44 PM
1. Dak has slimmed his body up. Does that mean he weighs any less? Maybe not but he's done the work to be more flexible & not as bulky.

2. We're never going to be a "pass first" team but will be closer to 50/50 run/pass ratio than we've ever been. We'd be foolish not to. Our identity won't change we'll still be physical, tough, hard nosed team but you'd be crazy not to take advantage of the QB & group of WR's we have on campus.

Pretty much sums up the discussion. Some people are acting like I said "Dak is now a weak feeble QB who will have to pass or he will get broken in half. Cancel the season MSU sucks".

17thebears
07-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Has nobody in this thread seen pictures of Dak from this summer?

preachermatt83
07-28-2015, 12:51 PM
it' s blatantly obvious that Dak has slimmed his torso CONSIDERABLY in the offseason... If you can't see that you are either blind or dumb

BeastMan
07-28-2015, 12:55 PM
Still, if he has added muscle and lost fat - which would change his physique - why would that signal a change to a pass-first offense? If anything, that would suggest preparation to run the ball to me.

I'm really wondering what you read because let me quote some things from the article:

"noticeably slimmed down dak"
"changing his body"
"trimmed down dak"
"What does a body change mean for Dak as a QB"
"body recomposition is a direct result of what scouts told him"
"Changing body tells me he wants to be a more fluid and smooth in his athleticism... improving footwork which in turn helps accuracy"
"If we're letting strengths of the offense dictate what we'll see it has to be more passing"
"Dak decided to lose some weight and remake his body"
"Signs point to Dak leading a more pass-centric offense"

No where in that article did I ever mention pass first or present any change in Dak's body as a negative. If you don't think Dak took his NFL feedback and put that into his preparation for his senior year, I don't know what to tell you.

gravedigger
07-28-2015, 12:57 PM
I like that article. I do think he's lost some weight to set himself up to be a more agile pocket passer. I also think that we will pass more as an offense for the reasons you stated (youth at RB and OL) but there could be some pitfalls. If we pass more, then we will have to protect more or get rid of the ball faster. I think if we can see the ball released in a more timely fashion rather than attempting to check down to a 3-4th route, we will improve. Dak needs to throw the ball into the 6th row more often.

Coach34
07-28-2015, 12:59 PM
He's lost weight to be quicker running the ball

MSUDawg4Life
07-28-2015, 01:03 PM
I'm really wondering what you read because let me quote some things from the article:

"noticeably slimmed down dak"
"changing his body"
"trimmed down dak"
"What does a body change mean for Dak as a QB"
"body recomposition is a direct result of what scouts told him"
"Changing body tells me he wants to be a more fluid and smooth in his athleticism... improving footwork which in turn helps accuracy"
"If we're letting strengths of the offense dictate what we'll see it has to be more passing"
"Dak decided to lose some weight and remake his body"
"Signs point to Dak leading a more pass-centric offense"

No where in that article did I ever mention pass first or present any change in Dak's body as a negative. If you don't think Dak took his NFL feedback and put that into his preparation for his senior year, I don't know what to tell you.

You just quoted and contradicted yourself at the same time.

Calm down, dude. We may just be looking at things from the opposite side of the street. Like how people tend to describe the same accident differently. Y'all see changed his physique "considerably". I see a logical progression of his workouts. It was the next step and no big deal to me. It doesn't mean his body is that much different from last year or that our offense will change its focus.

scottycameron
07-28-2015, 01:03 PM
He's lost weight to be quicker running the ball

exactly. Why are people thinking losing weight makes you throw it better? That's stupid. He'll be a better runner dropping some weight. It won't have anything to do with throwing the ball.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-28-2015, 01:10 PM
exactly. Why are people thinking losing weight makes you throw it better? That's stupid. He'll be a better runner dropping some weight. It won't have anything to do with throwing the ball.

Losing weight doesn't make you throw the ball better but reshaping your body making you more flexible does. Being a big ball of muscle is great for running on 3rd & 2 but it doesn't help with your passing or mechanics. He's reshaping his body to be a better player. Running, passing, everything.

mic
07-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Losing weight doesn't make you throw the ball better but reshaping your body making you more flexible does. Being a big ball of muscle is great for running on 3rd & 2 but it doesn't help with your passing or mechanics. He's reshaping his body to be a better player. Running, passing, everything.

He is getting NFL ready.. Which means better Dak and better Dak for MSU this year...

Ifyouonlyknew
07-28-2015, 01:24 PM
He is getting NFL ready.. Which means better Dak and better Dak for MSU this year...

Which is the most important thing that needs to be taken away from all of this.

HancockCountyDog
07-28-2015, 01:26 PM
What it means to me is that in the 4 OOC games, he better run the ball less than 10 times total, unless they are broken plays.

Save the pounding for when we need it.

mic
07-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Which is the most important thing that needs to be taken away from all of this.

100% correct

BeastMan
07-28-2015, 01:31 PM

Calm down, dude. We may just be looking at things from the opposite side of the street. Like how people tend to describe the same accident differently. Y'all see changed his physique "considerably". I see a logical progression of his workouts. It was the next step and no big deal to me. It doesn't mean his body is that much different from last year or that our offense will change its focus.

This is what it boils down to in its simplest form without splitting hairs: I think Dak changed his body. I think we throw more. You disagree with both points.

You have to understand what you're arguing and the likelihood of it being a good argument, particularly Dak's workouts just taking a natural next progression. This is the deal. Dak has been on campus for over 4 years. His body has been composed 1 way for 3.5 years (muscular, bulky, thick). So you mean to tell me that he got a draft grade with feedback in December and then in 6 months his body looks different than it has for the previous 3.5 b/c of a natural progression? Come on man.

I've been lifting weights for 15 years. You have to understand that Dak is in the top 1% in genetic makeup for build and athleticism. You're body just doesn't change like that in 6 months unless he made a big change in how he wanted it to be. Now it boils down to why and what is his motivation? I think Dak's biggest motivation is the NFL. He identified a plan of attack to prepare himself to improve on what the scouts told him. Dak's change isn't some chance deal b/c he's a workout warrior. Dak and the MSU know exactly what they are doing and are dialing in exactly where they want to dial in.

Westdawg
07-28-2015, 01:32 PM
have any of you given thought to the idea that maybe, just maybe, our younger QBs (Fitz and Staley) will get some opportunities to come in on those short yardage situations in order to get the 1st down with a QB run? Mullen has used the bigger, younger QBs in that fashion everywhere he has been - Utah, Bowling Green, Florida, Miss State. I would think that some of the heavy hitting will fall on their shoulders at times this season in order to take some load off of Dak's back....pun intended.

gtowndawg
07-28-2015, 01:32 PM
had to get that one in there

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/94691972b30f9ad52d65fb0c9814b722551ed0c7/r=x404&c=534x401/http/assets.gannettdigital.com/-mm-/5d42bde4877f5e6c24f378072ddc893bcfc426a3/c=34-0-766-549/local/-/media/Louisville/2014/02/04/titlelorenzen.jpg

BeastMan
07-28-2015, 01:34 PM

Bingo. Being a more flexible athlete (I called it "fluid") leads to more precise footwork which is of extreme importance for accuracy which is the #1 thing Dak has to work on. Not to mention how he can become a better one field runner which I noted.

BeastMan
07-28-2015, 01:35 PM
have any of you given thought to the idea that maybe, just maybe, our younger QBs (Fitz and Staley) will get some opportunities to come in on those short yardage situations in order to get the 1st down with a QB run? Mullen has used the bigger, younger QBs in that fashion everywhere he has been - Utah, Bowling Green, Florida, Miss State. I would think that some of the heavy hitting will fall on their shoulders at times this season in order to take some load off of Dak's back....pun intended.

Great point. Especially considering that's how Dak was brought around his rFr year

BeastMan
07-28-2015, 01:36 PM

Winner winner

chainedup_Dawg
07-28-2015, 01:39 PM

I believe when he says "more pass-centric" he means we will focus on passing more than we have in the past. That just means passing more than previous years, not being a pass first team. That's the way it read to me anyway

MSUDawg4Life
07-28-2015, 01:40 PM
This is what it boils down to in its simplest form without splitting hairs: I think Dak changed his body. I think we throw more. You disagree with both points.

You have to understand what you're arguing and the likelihood of it being a good argument, particularly Dak's workouts just taking a natural next progression. This is the deal. Dak has been on campus for over 4 years. His body has been composed 1 way for 3.5 years (muscular, bulky, thick). So you mean to tell me that he got a draft grade with feedback in December and then in 6 months his body looks different than it has for the previous 3.5 b/c of a natural progression? Come on man.

I've been lifting weights for 15 years. You have to understand that Dak is in the top 1% in genetic makeup for build and athleticism. You're body just doesn't change like that in 6 months unless he made a big change in how he wanted it to be. Now it boils down to why and what is his motivation? I think Dak's biggest motivation is the NFL. He identified a plan of attack to prepare himself to improve on what the scouts told him. Dak's change isn't some chance deal b/c he's a workout warrior. Dak and the MSU know exactly what they are doing and are dialing in exactly where they want to dial in.

Uh ... that's actually what I'm saying.

Where we disagree is you thinking Dak's body has been the same for 3.5 years and then he made this dramatic change in six months. I think Dak would tell you that he had specific goals each year and strove to improve physically each year. I think this "considerable" change you all are seeing this year is simply "Dak and MSU knowing what they are doing and are dialing in exactly where they want to dial in". Just like they do with every athlete. Every year.

It was the next step in his development, man.

BeastMan
07-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Uh ... that's actually what I'm saying.

Where we disagree is you thinking Dak's body has been the same for 3.5 years and then he made this dramatic change in six months. I think Dak would tell you that he had specific goals each year and strove to improve physically each year. I think this "considerable" change you all are seeing this year is simply "Dak and MSU knowing what they are doing and are dialing in exactly where they want to dial in". Just like they do with every athlete. Every year.

I was the next step in his development, man.

You're still not reading what I said. I didn't say "his body has been the same for 3.5 year". I said his body was composed the same as in how he's genetically pre disposed to build and hold muscle.

So what are we getting at? What's the next step in his progression? On the field of course? It isn't being a better, more accurate passer is it?

MSUDawg4Life
07-28-2015, 01:51 PM
You're still not reading what I said. I didn't say "his body has been the same for 3.5 year". I said his body was composed the same as in how he's genetically pre disposed to build and hold muscle.

So what are we getting at? What's the next step in his progression? On the field of course? It isn't being a better, more accurate passer is it?

Definitely. That's part of it. He's obviously been working hard on his passing and decision making. It doesn't mean we're going to be a pass-centric offense though.

I think the guy is just trying to be a better player overall. Physically, mentally and anything else he can do to be a better player. That's why we love him.

NCDawg

I think you are correct. If Dak doesn't run the ball, I don't think we're going to win very many. I know he wants to concentrate on his passing skills for NFL purposes, but our team needs him to run the ball to be successful.

Ralph
Football season drawing near = more entertaining threads ��

Ifyouonlyknew
07-28-2015, 01:53 PM
Will we throw more next year? Yes Will we be a pass happy, pass first team? No

Peace & Blessings to you all

BeastMan
07-28-2015, 02:00 PM
Definitely. That's part of it. He's obviously been working hard on his passing and decision making. It doesn't mean we're going to be a pass-centric offense though.

I think the guy is just trying to be a better player overall. Physically, mentally and anything else he can do to be a better player. That's why we love him.

So you said you disagreed and we've debates the whole thread to essentially agree. Ha.

BeastMan
07-28-2015, 02:01 PM
Will we throw more next year? Yes Will we be a pass happy, pass first team? No

Peace & Blessings to you all

Thanks Dan. Put Chris on a family sharing plan with you so you can monitor his life talks.

BrunswickDawg
07-28-2015, 02:30 PM
had to get that one in there

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/94691972b30f9ad52d65fb0c9814b722551ed0c7/r=x404&c=534x401/http/assets.gannettdigital.com/-mm-/5d42bde4877f5e6c24f378072ddc893bcfc426a3/c=34-0-766-549/local/-/media/Louisville/2014/02/04/titlelorenzen.jpg

But that doesn't mean they ever stop trying....
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/f5f8d8311517f9250b3701ce24fe9b410d44d295/c=0-302-1940-1762&r=x513&c=680x510/local/-/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2014/02/09//1391993516004-2014-02-09-Jared-Lorenzen5.jpg

War Machine Dawg
07-28-2015, 02:38 PM

You're a certain kind of special, aren't ya? You realize we can pass more than we did last season but still not be "pass-centric", right? I.e., instead of being 60-40 run-pass, we may be 55-45. That's "more pass-centric" but still not "pass-centric" in terms of being "pass first" which is how you're interpreting it. We're still going to be very much a physical, run-first team. That's what makes our offense work. Holy shit, I can't believe I'm having to explain this on a pee wee football level.

scottycameron
07-28-2015, 02:57 PM
You're a certain kind of special, aren't ya? You realize we can pass more than we did last season but still not be "pass-centric", right? I.e., instead of being 60-40 run-pass, we may be 55-45. That's "more pass-centric" but still not "pass-centric" in terms of being "pass first" which is how you're interpreting it. We're still going to be very much a physical, run-first team. That's what makes our offense work. Holy shit, I can't believe I'm having to explain this on a pee wee football level.

Disagree completely. If he's getting in better shape that helps the running game. Which is a good thing. If he's dropping weight we are planning on him running more, that's a no brainer. If we were going to throw it more he damn sure didn't need to lose weight.

MSUDawg4Life
07-28-2015, 03:23 PM

Okay, man.

You done figured it out. We're going to be a pass-centric, run-first team. Thanks for that wonderful explanation. Oxymoronic explanation, but if it makes sense to you ... I guess I'll be satisfied with knowing you did the best you could.

Thank you.

Bama_Dawg
07-28-2015, 04:11 PM
I guess I have a completely different opinion on this. I don't think that Dak slimming down means he will run more. I feel he's getting ready for the pros. Will we run less this year? No, we'll just run more RBs and speed sweeps (if we can ever make it to the edge), but I think Dak will run less. The threat of him running, and he will run don't get me wrong, will keep defenses honest. Those 3rd and less than 3 are no longer guaranteed to be a Dak run. We've got big RBs to get that and I know Shump won't shy away from contact.

I fully expect to see some "highlight reel" runs from Dak in the big games, but still the heavy lifting will go to the RB platoon.

I want to see how all of this figures into the passing game. If he's improved his fundamentals for the pros, we are in for a treat this year.

Stay healthy Dak!

Tbonewannabe
07-28-2015, 04:58 PM
Tim Tebow had to change his body type for the NFL. Getting too bulky made him less fluid. There is a reason that pitchers and QBs have more of a long lean look. Getting as big as possible isn't always the best for what you are doing.

State82
07-28-2015, 06:03 PM

Bingo. I think it's all good.

Liverpooldawg
07-28-2015, 06:28 PM
I heard Dak changed his haircut. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?**** The season needs to hurry up and get here so we can find out what we really need to be worried about, if anything.

Dawgcentral
07-28-2015, 06:28 PM
Not worried about Dak losing a few pounds. 8-10 pounds won't make him less of a running threat, nor make him more vulnerable to taking a hit. Getting hit from a particular direction, or an impact that's low and from the side is more of a concern. That can hurt a 250-300 lb player just as easily.

If Dak has a slightly quicker first step that's a bonus. If he's more flexible that's also a bonus.

Dak will run well and pass well. We're going to run and pass JUST like last year, only hopefully, we'll do both even more successfully. I don't believe Dak's losing weight to make a better NFL presentation. That will only happen with better reads through his film study, and better communication between him and his targets. A re-introduction of the screen passes will also keep defenses off balance.

Pollodawg
07-28-2015, 07:17 PM
This is how it works, say Dak has Bear deep, Fred Ross on the intermediary pass, and Gus Walley on a curl toward the sideline for 5 or so yards. Say Bear and Ross are covered. It takes being able to change his arm motion, hips, core, and feet to make the short throw, the intermediate throw, and the long ball. Losing muscle mass will make him able to change his angles and whatnot for more effective passes, not to mention make him faster.

Pollodawg
07-28-2015, 07:18 PM
As his body becomes more fluid and less bulky, it'll get easier for him to maneuver in the pocket and make the necessary changes to his arm angle and feet and whatnot.

FlabLoser
07-29-2015, 09:27 AM
I asked Bob Carskadon about Dak being leaner:

http://www.bulldogsportsradio.com/episode/4342/the-bb-show-can-mississippi-state-secondary-rebound-in-2015

He says Dak is leaner on the instruction of the staff. It was a plan to improve his conditioning and flexibility.

BeastMan
07-29-2015, 11:37 AM
I asked Bob Carskadon about Dak being leaner:

http://www.bulldogsportsradio.com/episode/4342/the-bb-show-can-mississippi-state-secondary-rebound-in-2015

He says Dak is leaner on the instruction of the staff. It was a plan to improve his conditioning and flexibility.

So you believe me now? Now why would the staff want him more flexible?

ETA- What is the time stamp? I have listened all throughout that and haven't found it

MSUDawg4Life
07-29-2015, 11:42 AM

I know! I know!

Because we're going to change our offense to the run-and-shoot.

Do I get a gold star for today?

BeastMan
07-29-2015, 12:15 PM
I know! I know!

Because we're going to change our offense to the run-and-shoot.

Do I get a gold star for today?

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--K3COdmms--/bopwuh2rno8xfmyqym3z.png

FlabLoser
07-29-2015, 01:08 PM

ETA- What is the time stamp? I have listened all throughout that and haven't found it

It was somewhere near the beginning of ABC. Somewhere between 15:00 and 30:00.

Bob says the staff is trying to make him more durable. Flexibility can help prevent injury, especially soft tissue injury.

I didn't disbelieve you before. I just said I wouldn't tell that Dak had gotten leaner.

Barking 13
07-29-2015, 09:24 PM
it's the almonds***