PDA

View Full Version : My theme song for this year

Coach34
07-27-2015, 07:22 PM
Was working out this afternoon and heard an old favorite- "Bulls on Parade" by Rage Against the Machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQUdVZetaFE

We need a highlight video of all our big boys with this blasting- Prescott, Shump, James, Jones, Malone, Bear, Benni, etc

"Rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells"

Everybody is counting us out- its time to rally the round family- and with all our weapons on this team- we certainly have a pocket full of shells

Smitty
07-27-2015, 07:27 PM
I'm going with "Move Bitch - Get out the Way" by Ludacris

starkvegasdawg
07-27-2015, 07:38 PM
In an homage to the Tunsil situation I'll go with LL Cool J's "Mama said Knock you Out".

Smitty
07-27-2015, 07:59 PM
Chris Jones theme song while wrecking havoc

"You never met a mother****er quite like me"
- Kid Rock

BeardoMSU
07-27-2015, 08:12 PM
Whenever our offense is on the field I'm sure to have Tupac's "You can't C me" playing in my head.....

Bully13
07-27-2015, 08:16 PM
Was working out this afternoon and heard an old favorite- "Bulls on Parade" by Rage Against the Machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQUdVZetaFE

I don't like this song. adolescent noise. nothing but jack hammers and chains saws.

We need a highlight video of all our big boys with this blasting- Prescott, Shump, James, Jones, Malone, Bear, Benni, etc

"Rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells"

Everybody is counting us out- its time to rally the round family- and with all our weapons on this team- we certainly have a pocket full of shells

I don't like this song. adolescent noise. nothing but jack hammers and chains saws.

Coach34
07-27-2015, 08:25 PM

Sorry Pops- its a song with an edge and anger to it. Like what we need in 2015

Covercorner2
07-27-2015, 09:24 PM

Rage is one of the GOAT, especially when preparing for battle. A very under appreciated band. Props.

spudd21
07-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Tom Morello is one of the most gifted guitar players on earth. Most of that jackhammer and chainsaw you hear is him shredding his guitar. Rock on man.

Coach34
07-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Yep. Morello is really good. And a huge KISS fan btw.

Covercorner2
07-27-2015, 09:29 PM
Tom Morello is one of the most gifted guitar players on earth. Most of that jackhammer and chainsaw you hear is him shredding his guitar. Rock on man.

THIS. Sucks they broke up.

BeardoMSU
07-27-2015, 09:32 PM

I'm willing to bet this is more 13's style....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB2yiIoEtXw

jbjones
07-27-2015, 09:33 PM
THIS. Sucks they broke up.

Yeah, Zack DLR was a freaking wild man. Mentally and lyrically. Damn near every time I strapped on a parachute in the mid '90s, I had RATM in my head...and damn near everyone in my unit did too. We blasted it in the barracks all the time. Got us really pumped. I still occasionally put on a track or two in the office from time to time...

LC Dawg
07-27-2015, 10:02 PM

Morello is playing with Ozzy, Slash, and Geezer Butler at Voodoo Fest this year. It's our off weekend so I'm thinking the rock gods must have set it up for me to go.

hailmari
07-27-2015, 10:13 PM
I love RATM. "Wake Up" never fails to get me out of a funk.

It's from the Matrix soundtrack. Not sure if it was ever an album release.

BeardoMSU
07-27-2015, 10:24 PM
I love RATM. "Wake Up" never fails to get me out of a funk.

It's from the Matrix soundtrack. Not sure if it was ever an album release.
Definitely my fav song of theirs.

Todd4State
07-27-2015, 10:28 PM
I'm willing to bet this is more 13's style....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB2yiIoEtXw

Hilarious

dawgs
07-27-2015, 11:44 PM

best part about this post is i have literally seen noise music made with non-instruments like jack hammers and chain saws.

mstatefan91
07-28-2015, 12:17 AM
F*cking love Rage

Bully13
07-28-2015, 06:49 AM
I just don't get it. ...I mean I still crank up the radio for crazy train, flying high again, walk this way, shit like that. ..but this new shit seems like it just went backwards on the evolutionary scale

BeardoMSU
07-28-2015, 07:12 AM
I just don't get it. ...I mean I still crank up the radio for crazy train, flying high again, walk this way, shit like that. ..but this new shit seems like it just went backwards on the evolutionary scale

Different people have different preferences, for sure. I'm not a big progressive rock fan, for example, despite the talent level of those bands usually being really high.
As for Rage, their unique sound (esp. Morello's guitar style) and lyrical content is what I love about them.

FlabLoser
07-28-2015, 07:41 AM
Rage is heavy metal meets punk rock meets rap.

The older crowd might appreciate The Ramones or The Sex Pistols.

Rage is a more modern take on that with influences from heavy metal and rap. Its the same angry, misunderstood emotional outburst of energy type stuff. Just a new generation's take on it. You might not like it, but surely you get it.

godlluB
07-28-2015, 08:01 AM

Ummm, Bulls on Parade was released in 1996, making it older than some of our football players. If you like Springsteen, you might want to check out Rage's cover of "The Ghost of Tom Joad", it's more mellow than "Bulls", but dark and brooding.

godlluB
07-28-2015, 08:11 AM
I think "Killing in the Name" should be our Egg Bowl theme song. (Warning: Very NSFW lyrics, including copious use of the F-bomb):

Lyrics: http://www.ratm.net/lyrics/kil.html

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXazVhlyxQ

...and we should dedicate the refrain starting about 4:35 to all of the media who predict us to finish last in the West.

FlabLoser
07-28-2015, 08:20 AM
Ummm, Bulls on Parade was released in 1996, making it older than some of our football players.

Oh, man. That really hurts!

godlluB
07-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Oh, man. That really hurts!

Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative.

Dawgology
07-28-2015, 08:40 AM
This IS the Bulldogs for 2015. Forsaken Child...swept underneath your rug..... but we are still knockin' on the door, mother f***er.

This is NSFW due to language but it is a damn awesome song. If you haven't heard of Ryan Bingham you have to check it him out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY23z_inxpQ

FlabLoser
07-28-2015, 09:10 AM
The Racountours' "Salute Your Solution"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lL1CW140FQ

I think Derek Cody put that music to the Ladarius Perkins Egg Bowl in Oxford.

Anyway the chorus fits us:

And I got what I got all despite you
And I get what I get just to spite you

Ifyouonlyknew
07-28-2015, 09:15 AM
I wonder how many of our players know any of these songs bc I have to be honest I don't know any of them.

MSUDawg99
07-28-2015, 09:24 AM
I wonder how many of our players know any of these songs bc I have to be honest I don't know any of them.

That's cause all you listen to is Buffett, Dan. But tbh, I don't know any of these either. I know the artist, just not the songs. Not my taste/style of music.

BrunswickDawg
07-28-2015, 09:59 AM
That's cause all you listen to is Buffett, Dan. But tbh, I don't know any of these either. I know the artist, just not the songs. Not my taste/style of music.
Easy now, Dan's a Gen X slacker like me. We like our Buffett, but I am sure he can mumble a Pearl Jam song too, and probably knows some NWA.

Eta: Kudos on the Dan Mullen Buffett song yesterday. Pure gold.

Coach34
07-28-2015, 10:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXazVhlyxQ

This one is hard to beat

MSUDawg99
07-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Easy now, Dan's a Gen X slacker like me. We like our Buffett, but I am sure he can mumble a Pearl Jam song too, and probably knows some NWA.

Eta: Kudos on the Dan Mullen Buffett song yesterday. Pure gold.

Ha. Buffett wasn't a knock on Dan whatsover! I just happen to know that's one of Dan's fave singers. Dan's not but a few years older than me. I'm 39. I do love some Pearl Jam though & yes I know some NWA too.

Bully13
07-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Hey, I like that song by Live, what is it?...."I can feel it"...."center of the earth " something like that. ...I also like a few nirvana songs I've heard. ...does that make me more hip and modern?

BeardoMSU
07-28-2015, 12:55 PM
Hey, I like that song by Live, what is it?...."I can feel it"...."center of the earth " something like that. ...I also like a few nirvana songs I've heard. ...does that make me more hip and modern?

Lightning crashes. And Live is a bad ass 90s band. Love them.

BrunswickDawg
07-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Lightning crashes. And Live is a bad ass 90s band. Love them.
+1 - every time I hear that I think of SheltonChoked - he always had Live blasting in Little London

MabenMaroon
07-28-2015, 07:25 PM

There is a lot of decent to good talent out there playing the instruments, what is lost today is the production and orchestration of the music. Very few good studio producers and ghost writers out there these days, the folks who actually know how to put a recording together. It seems that what happens is just a mash-up of noise built around a few good riffs these days. JMO.

TUSK
07-28-2015, 08:55 PM
In an homage to the Tunsil situation I'll go with LL Cool J's "Mama said Knock you Out".

dude.

+1

Prediction? Pain.
07-28-2015, 10:05 PM
There is a lot of decent to good talent out there playing the instruments, what is lost today is the production and orchestration of the music. Very few good studio producers and ghost writers out there these days, the folks who actually know how to put a recording together. It seems that what happens is just a mash-up of noise built around a few good riffs these days. JMO.

Nah, you've just got to know where to look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gBV-Nzq7Pg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hYiY1vOOVw

(This next one's a slow burn, but it's gloriously heavy when it gets there.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC1lYtqTsNc

(I had three or four more linked, but apparently I hit my limit. Probably a wise feature to have on the board . . . .)

To bring it back around to the original idea of the thread, here's my pick for a theme song for MSU football in 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAt7hK_zKr0

Sample of the lyrics:

A pox upon the media
And everything you read
They tell you your opinions
And they're very good indeed

I wanna destroy you

Maybe a little too aging retired hipster, but I think it fits the mood pretty well.

dawgs
07-28-2015, 10:07 PM

Bullshit, overproduction is the biggest thing wrong with music today IMO. Totally cuts the edge out of it. I want something raw and powerful, not something neutered and overly shiny.

dawgs
07-28-2015, 10:12 PM
Wasn't expecting a dead meadow shout out in here. I got all kinda recs for you if you're into that stoner heavy psych stuff.

dawgs
07-28-2015, 10:17 PM
While we are on aging retired hipster recs, I'll throw out the stooges "I wanna be your dog"

http://youtu.be/vwmU343eBu0

Prediction? Pain.
07-28-2015, 10:22 PM
Wasn't expecting a dead meadow shout out in here. I got all kinda recs for you if you're into that stoner heavy psych stuff.

Glad I could surprise you. Bring on the stoner rock recs. Tastes in pysch are broad -- Dead Meadow, Black Angels, Spacemen 3, Tame Impala, Black Mountain, etc. (And above all, I'm a Pink Floyd nut.) If you dig that sort of stuff and country too, I highly recommend you check out Sturgill Simpson. Mostly badass 70s-style country, but his last record was pretty pysched out (as the clip I linked indicates).

Prediction? Pain.
07-28-2015, 10:24 PM
While we are on aging retired hipster recs, I'll throw out the stooges "I wanna be your dog"

http://youtu.be/vwmU343eBu0

Hell, the Stooges didn't even occur to me. "Search and Destroy" wouldn't be a bad theme song either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDNzQ3CXspU

TUSK
07-28-2015, 11:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umjYHLt56kg

dawgs
07-29-2015, 09:35 AM
Glad I could surprise you. Bring on the stoner rock recs. Tastes in pysch are broad -- Dead Meadow, Black Angels, Spacemen 3, Tame Impala, Black Mountain, etc. (And above all, I'm a Pink Floyd nut.) If you dig that sort of stuff and country too, I highly recommend you check out Sturgill Simpson. Mostly badass 70s-style country, but his last record was pretty pysched out (as the clip I linked indicates).

Check out parson sound, kinski, destruction unit, Boris (specifically the albums "pink" and "smile"), follakzoid, eternal tapestry, moon duo, thee of sees, les rallizes denudes, acid mothers temple, mainliner, Oneida, wet hair, raccoo-oo-oon, tonstartssbandht, viet cong, can, neu.

Ranges from garage rock (thee of sees) to very experimental (les rallizes denudes), but all rooted in true psychedelic stuff, not they hippie fake psychedelic bullshit, ha.

tcdog70
07-29-2015, 12:17 PM
best part about this post is i have literally seen noise music made with non-instruments like jack hammers and chain saws.

Literally? really?

dawgs
07-29-2015, 12:31 PM
Literally? really?

You haven't lived until you've been to a real noise show. There are some noise purists out there that believe true noise music shouldn't be made with conventional instruments.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_music

Ftr rage against the machine is NOT a noise band. It may sound like racket to you, but it's just metal melded with rap.

MabenMaroon
07-29-2015, 01:40 PM
Bullshit, overproduction is the biggest thing wrong with music today IMO. Totally cuts the edge out of it. I want something raw and powerful, not something neutered and overly shiny.

True, you can overproduce and over gloss the music, and there has been a lot of that since the late 80's/early 90's and it liked to kill plain old rock and roll particularly over the airwaves. It drove a lot of potentially good musicians away from rock and pushed them to c&w or to the local/regional club scenes. With society's move away from the airwaves to get their first listen to new releases or new bands there has been a tremendous influx of poorly produced and poorly arranged music released that is making it to the airwaves. And that is where this long time rock and roller prefers to listen, either that way or live in a medium to small venue with good acoustics and comfortable surroundings/seating. Keep in mind that I am late fifties and cut my teeth on live rock and roll with The Jefferson Airplane as my first show attended in early 1972.
As far as raw and powerful goes, I have seen a lot of shows over the past 40+ years and over the last 10 years or so the most powerful, raw and unadulterated music and shows that I have encountered came from some of the long time acts from back in the 70's, 80's and a few from the 90's. Either that or the blues performers such as Jonny Lang, KW Shepherd, Joe Bonomassa, etc.

tcdog70
07-29-2015, 04:10 PM
As long as it isn't "Catch Us If You Can" --they did

BeardoMSU
07-29-2015, 04:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAE6Il6OTcs

dawgs
07-29-2015, 04:36 PM
True, you can overproduce and over gloss the music, and there has been a lot of that since the late 80's/early 90's and it liked to kill plain old rock and roll particularly over the airwaves. It drove a lot of potentially good musicians away from rock and pushed them to c&w or to the local/regional club scenes. With society's move away from the airwaves to get their first listen to new releases or new bands there has been a tremendous influx of poorly produced and poorly arranged music released that is making it to the airwaves. And that is where this long time rock and roller prefers to listen, either that way or live in a medium to small venue with good acoustics and comfortable surroundings/seating. Keep in mind that I am late fifties and cut my teeth on live rock and roll with The Jefferson Airplane as my first show attended in early 1972.
As far as raw and powerful goes, I have seen a lot of shows over the past 40+ years and over the last 10 years or so the most powerful, raw and unadulterated music and shows that I have encountered came from some of the long time acts from back in the 70's, 80's and a few from the 90's. Either that or the blues performers such as Jonny Lang, KW Shepherd, Joe Bonomassa, etc.

The modern rock stuff on the radio is terrible. Imagine dragons, Mumford and sons, etc. radio has long been a terrible representation of good music though. At least since the mid 70s or so, with the early 90s kinda being a brief hiccup where grunge took over the airwaves and caught the labels and radio stations off guard.

I pretty much rarely see bands these days playing larger than 1000 capacity venues. That's where guitar music resides these days, and I'm fine with that. Cheap tickets, cheap beer, better shows. It's a lot easier to blow the roof off a small room than a giant arena.

chef dixon
07-29-2015, 04:43 PM

They don't. This song would give most of our players headaches before they run out the tunnel. I know this music is for some people, but we are in an almost exclusively hip-hop age when it comes to pump-up music for college athletes.

dawgs
07-29-2015, 05:13 PM
They don't. This song would give most of our players headaches before they run out the tunnel. I know this music is for some people, but we are in an almost exclusively hip-hop age when it comes to pump-up music for college athletes.

Well Zach de la rocha was on one of the best rap tracks of 2014 on one of the best rap albums in several years last year - run the jewels "close your eyes (and count to f%&@)". So at least they might be aware of RATM's existence.

CadaverDawg
07-29-2015, 05:16 PM
http://youtu.be/NfhcLHMXd_k

Prediction? Pain.
07-29-2015, 09:11 PM
Check out parson sound, kinski, destruction unit, Boris (specifically the albums "pink" and "smile"), follakzoid, eternal tapestry, moon duo, thee of sees, les rallizes denudes, acid mothers temple, mainliner, Oneida, wet hair, raccoo-oo-oon, tonstartssbandht, viet cong, can, neu.

There's some solid stuff in there, man. Had only heard of a four of five of those bands. Follakzoid and Eternal Tapestry seem especially up my alley.

Just based upon your recs, I'm not sure I can reciprocate too well. (Aside from the kraut rock, for instance, the foreign stuff was all news to me.) But a few are coming to mind. If you want to continue our trippy web-based cultural exchange on the OT board, I'm game.

dawgs
07-29-2015, 09:32 PM
There's some solid stuff in there, man. Had only heard of a four of five of those bands. Follakzoid and Eternal Tapestry seem especially up my alley.

Just based upon your recs, I'm not sure I can reciprocate too well. (Aside from the kraut rock, for instance, the foreign stuff was all news to me.) But a few are coming to mind. If you want to continue our trippy web-based cultural exchange on the OT board, I'm game.

sounds good. i'm always looking to discuss random music that very few of my real life friends care to listen to. eternal tapestry is a local band for me, so i see them open for other psych and experimental bands all the time.