PDA

View Full Version : Favorite State player of All-Time? Why?

Coach34
07-27-2015, 10:36 AM
I have to do 2-

As a kid- it was John Bond. Loved watching him run the option out of the Bone. My Dad was a coach and ran the Wishbone as well- and I would pretend to be Bond all the time.

As an adult- it's Prescott. Dynamic player, leader, and everything you can ask for in a State player. This is the Golden Age of State football right now

Honorable Mention- Robert Bean. Played some of the best CB Scott Field has ever seen and was an expert at blocking kicks.

Covercorner2
07-27-2015, 10:42 AM
Ashley Cooper. Honorable mention Fred Smoot.

BeardoMSU
07-27-2015, 10:43 AM
I have 1a,b,and c:

Dak
Boobie
Smoot

messageboardsuperhero
07-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Football- Dak Prescott. Best player I've ever seen at State at the most important position on the field. Two time 1st team All-SEC. Legitimately one of the top 5 QBs in the SEC in the past 20 years. Great leader.

Basketball- Derrick Zimmerman. Great athlete and leader on some of the best MSU basketball teams ever, and was always unselfish.

Baseball- Matthew Maniscalco. Tremendous fielder (outside of the one play against ND), made it to AAA but could not hit it well enough to make MLB. This one is a nostalgia pick for me.

BrunswickDawg
07-27-2015, 10:45 AM
I'll do it a little different

Offense - Dak. Nuff said

Defense - Ashley Cooper. Dude just always seemed to be laying someone out at an important time.

Special Teams - Kevin Prentiss. 1998 he just always seemed to be 1 step from breaking it to the house.

AROB44
07-27-2015, 11:05 AM
Showing my age:

Offense --- Walter Packer

Defense --- Harvey Hull

Treemydawg
07-27-2015, 11:11 AM
Offense- Dak for all the reasons coach stated above. Defense - Josh Morgan because he played with a attitude. He never made a play that he didn't have bad intentions when he arrived to the ball.

Jacksondevildog
07-27-2015, 11:12 AM
I have two. Dak Prescott and Ashley Cooper.

MSUDawg4Life
07-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Favorite MSU player of all time: Dicenzo Miller.

The personification of what it means to be a Bulldog. Not the biggest, fastest or strongest, but, through sheer grit, toughness and effort, was able to perform at the same level as much more talented players. All hustle, all the time. I have yet to respect a MSU player more for simply leaving all he had on the field.

Honorable Mentions:

Offense: Eric Moulds
Defense: Fred Smoot
Special teams: Tony James

Mjoelner34
07-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Favorite MSU player of all time: Dicenzo Miller. The personification of what it means to be a Bulldog. Not the biggest, fastest or strongest, but, through sheer grit, toughness and effort, was able to perform at the same level as much more talented players. All hustle, all the time. I have yet to respect a MSU player more for simply leaving all he had on the field.

Mine too and I couldn't have stated why any better so I just copied.

ETA: Honorable Mention: Will Clark. Yes, I know he had an attitude and a big mouth but, as Dizzy Dean said, "If you can do it, it aint bragging." And, he could do it.

PMDawg
07-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Favorite MSU player of all time: Dicenzo Miller.

The personification of what it means to be a Bulldog. Not the biggest, fastest or strongest, but, through sheer grit, toughness and effort, was able to perform at the same level as much more talented players. All hustle, all the time. I have yet to respect a MSU player more for simply leaving all he had on the field.

Honorable Mentions:

Offense: Eric Moulds
Defense: Fred Smoot
Special teams: Tony James

I third this

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
07-27-2015, 11:24 AM
Ray Ray Bivens - fun name

Michael Ignerski - fun name

honorable mention -

Hamhock Jankins

Thrill1
07-27-2015, 11:25 AM
Darryl Wilson. A prop 48 that became the most clutch performer on arguably the best team MSU has produced on any team.

Dak Prescott is quickly closing the gap for me.

LC Dawg
07-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Boobie, because of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWHl-UAyK3k

ShotgunDawg
07-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Mike Hunt

starkvegasdawg
07-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Nobody choosing Derik Taite?***

Football has to be D. Miller as well. That run against BYU where he broke what seemed like 52 tackles to get a TD was unreal. Still remember when the camera cut to the BYU fan and his jaw was around his belly button in disbelief. Both hands on top of his head.

Dawg496
07-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Jerious Norwood, Anthony Dixon, Dak Prescott

in basketball I'll take the starting 5 in 2004 and also Charles Rhodes and Jamont Gordon were fun as hell to watch

Smitty
07-27-2015, 11:58 AM
Football - Dak Prescott and Chris Relf the Ole Miss killa

Basketball - Charles Rhodes

Baseball - Jacob Lindgren

Fred Garvin
07-27-2015, 12:05 PM
Offense - Rocky Felker - listening on the radio when I was a kid to his 98 yard drive against Memphis State has always been a great memory for me.

Defense - Ashley Cooper - just loved watching him play.

Pollodawg
07-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Boobie, because of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWHl-UAyK3k

Awesome interview. Didn't do much for our academic perception, but still an awesome interview.

BulldogBear
07-27-2015, 12:15 PM
Tough.

Johnie Cooks
Sleepy Robinson
Ashley Cooper

...in no particular order. I only rank former players. Dak will join I'm sure

Pollodawg
07-27-2015, 12:16 PM
Football - Dak Prescott and Chris Relf the Ole Miss killa

Basketball - Charles Rhodes

Baseball - Jacob Lindgren

I am glad someone else said Chris. Chris laid the foundation for what we have now, a hard working, scrapping, football team willing to work however hard to get it done. Mad props to him for playing with a couple of cracked ribs and a broken thumb his senior season.

BulldogBear
07-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Tough.

Johnie Cooks
Sleepy Robinson
Ashley Cooper

...in no particular order. I only rank former players. Dak will join I'm sure

Forgot to say why.

I went to first game in 1980. I didn't know any players names but Bond, Young and Cooks. My Dad talked about him all the time.

Sleepy. A good man went down. 1992 could have been a special year if he'd not gotten injured. I can never get the image of him ducking completely under a would be Tennessee pash rusher. One of my all time favorite moves.

Ashley was and still is the man on D to me.

cheewgumm
07-27-2015, 12:25 PM
Johnnie Cooks. I grew up watching and acting like I was him out in the yard. He was unreal.

tcdog70
07-27-2015, 12:29 PM
DD Lewis-great football player on a shitty team-love watching him whip ass at The Southernaire.
and on offense--Eric Moulds--cause he was a pass catching MFER

shoeless joe
07-27-2015, 12:33 PM
JJ- I loved the way we played when he was here and he was the horse that made it go. My first game to attend was in 97 when we played UCF. After every play dr. Flick's voice rang out with either " J....J....Johnson" or "culpepper's pass".

Winsome Frazier- great defender and did a lot of little things that allowed those teams to be so good.

1a) Thomas berkery- he could flat hit and was the ultimate team player as he played a different position every year
1b) Chris lotterhaus- mainly because I loved hearing jim emphasize every syllable in his name

TaleofTwoDogs
07-27-2015, 01:01 PM
A lot of great Dawgs to choose from. Here goes:

1) Wayne Jones - tough m'fer. Still remember him carrying 2 Vandy defenders on his back on a long run.

2) Bruce Threadgill - for running the wishbone to perfection (also Rockey for the veer)

3) Thunder and Lightning - 'nuff said.

MSUDawg4Life
07-27-2015, 01:26 PM
A lot of great Dawgs to choose from. Here goes:

1) Wayne Jones - tough m'fer. Still remember him carrying 2 Vandy defenders on his back on a long run.

2) Bruce Threadgill - for running the wishbone to perfection (also Rockey for the veer)

3) Thunder and Lightning - 'nuff said.

Agreed.

Jack Lambert
07-27-2015, 01:31 PM
I have to do 2-

As a kid- it was John Bond. Loved watching him run the option out of the Bone. My Dad was a coach and ran the Wishbone as well- and I would pretend to be Bond all the time.

As an adult- it's Prescott. Dynamic player, leader, and everything you can ask for in a State player. This is the Golden Age of State football right now

Honorable Mention- Robert Bean. Played some of the best CB Scott Field has ever seen and was an expert at blocking kicks.

I enjoyed watching Miller run the ball back when JWS was there but my favorite is Josh Robinson. I met him several times and he was great with my kids. He is a very genuine person.

TUSK
07-27-2015, 02:05 PM
I liked Glen Young and Eric Moulds...

Maroonthirteen
07-27-2015, 02:25 PM
Hahahaha! Same here Coach.... Bond was the QB when I was a kid. Slapped his hand at the Hall of Fame Bowl. Johnnie was a close 2nd but most kids identify with offensive players.

Dak....if we have a big year this year which includes beating Bama and OM...I'll become Maroon15.

I really like Jerious Norwood and Boobie. But a guy not.mentioned so far that I really liked.... Michael Davis. A great guy that put in 4 solid years for us. He caught my eye as a freshman. He would carry tacklers.

JDog13
07-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Mike Hunt

Man he stank

Gordon Gekko
07-27-2015, 02:53 PM
Wayne Madskills, took us to Atlanta and is the greatest QB in State history.

basedog
07-27-2015, 03:08 PM
Going old school.

Football Offense/Don Smith, imagine him running Dan's offense!! Defense/D.D. Lewis, there has been no better linebacker at Msu.

Baseball Everyday Player/Phil Still 3rd baseman, clutch hitter with great power, hit the longest Home Run I ever saw at Vandy during the SEC Chamionship Game! Great defensive player as well. Pitcher/Got to go with Jeff Brantley, clutch he was with a rubber arrm!

Basketball Has to be a tie, Jeff Malone and Darryl Wilson, Honorable Mention, Wiley Peck, a man playing with boys just an awesome re-bounder and inside player, 1st round draft choice in 79.

Maroon Blood
07-27-2015, 03:18 PM
Walter Packer - childhood hero

Treemydawg
07-27-2015, 03:48 PM
I can't believe I'm the only person thats said Josh Morgan, dude was a head hunter.

Billy Ray Valentine
07-27-2015, 03:56 PM
The Polish Rifle- Mike Pizinski. Most famous MSU player ever to have never played a down.

Figgs
07-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Don Smith on Offense...I was a biased kid.

Ashley Cooper on Defense...I coached him at Co-Lin...

War Machine Dawg
07-27-2015, 04:07 PM
Baseball: Will "The Thrill" Clark - Being completely honest, I turned all of 2 during the '85 season, so I never saw him play in a State uni. But I grew up hearing about him and watching him play on TV. Little WMD refused to bat right handed to emulate Clark. To this day, WMD wears the number 22 when playing sports whenever possible as a nod to The Thrill. Love the way he played the game. Loud, outspoken, and a refusal to lose. Constantly had a sneer or a smirk. Just wish he'd believed in conditioning, as he probably wouldn't have had so many injuries during his prime. And that he'd waited to retire 2-5 more years.

Basketball: Darryl "Super D" Williams - Leader of the '96 Final Four team. The only guy on the team who could get in Bullard's face. Shot the lights out from 3, excellent free throw shooter, and the definition of clutch. Played through stress fractures and was still a beast. Unbelievable toughness.

Football - Offense: James "JJ" Johnson - Basically, I'm refusing to go with the easy, trendy answer of Dak. JJ pretty much carried the offense to our only SEC West Championship. I still think we beat TN if he's healthy for the SECCG. The guy had a tremendous blend of power and speed. Teams would crowd 8, 9 guys into the box knowing he was coming and still couldn't stop him.

Football - Defense: Barrin Simpson - This was the hardest choice for me. We've had so many great players on D over the years, and asking me to pick just one is basically impossible. But in sticking with my football theme of non-obvious, under-appreciated players, Simpson fits the bill. Not the biggest guy, but he just flat made plays. Leader of the '98 D, and the team leader in tackles, if memory serves. Big time football IQ, always in great position which helped offset some of the physical limitations. Had a very successful CFL career after leaving State. Kinda always felt like he epitomized the blue collar developmental type of program we ran under The Kang and now Mullen.

War Machine Dawg
07-27-2015, 04:23 PM

http://i.imgur.com/On4SqQQ.gif

drunkernhelldawg
07-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Offense - Rocky Felker - listening on the radio when I was a kid to his 98 yard drive against Memphis State has always been a great memory for me.

Defense - Ashley Cooper - just loved watching him play.

29-28 good guys.

Todd4State
07-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Sleepy Robinson was my favorite as a child. He was the QB when I really first got into MSU football when Jackie came on board. One of the best triple option QB's I have ever seen.

Coach34
07-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Sleepy Robinson was my favorite as a child. He was the QB when I really first got into MSU football when Jackie came on board. One of the best triple option QB's I have ever seen.

Sleepy was outstanding. Him going down vs Florida killed that season for us. Get Thick to tell you about him. And he is hilarious to talk to in person. Really good guy

Todd4State
07-27-2015, 06:19 PM
Sleepy was outstanding. Him going down vs Florida killed that season for us. Get Thick to tell you about him. And he is hilarious to talk to in person. Really good guy

That injury cost us a 10 win season. I'm glad Sleepy is a part of our program doing whatever he does with recruiting.

BankerDog
07-27-2015, 06:22 PM
As a Kid:
Offense: Jerious Norwood, JJ Johnson, Ray Ray
Defense: Mario Haggan, Smooth, Willie Evans, Josh Morgan, Keith Fitzhugh

Now as a 21 year old student:

AJ Jefferson just because he works hard and is underrated.
Beni Brown

Dak..enough said

Coach34
07-27-2015, 06:28 PM
That injury cost us a 10 win season. I'm glad Sleepy is a part of our program doing whatever he does with recruiting.

Sleepy was huge in landing Leo Lewis- Sleepy was a great Bulldog as a player and is busting his ass now to do what he can to help us win. Great Bulldog

MaroonMike
07-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Darryl Wilson. A prop 48 that became the most clutch performer on arguably the best team MSU has produced on any team.

Dak Prescott is quickly closing the gap for me.

Exact same for me - was going to say the same thing,

drunkernhelldawg
07-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Billy Jackson. The soul of the 1980 season.

shoeless joe
07-27-2015, 06:54 PM
As a Kid:
Offense: Jerious Norwood, JJ Johnson, Ray Ray
Defense: Mario Haggan, Smooth, Willie Evans, Josh Morgan, Keith Fitzhugh

Now as a 21 year old student:

AJ Jefferson just because he works hard and is underrated.
Beni Brown

Dak..enough said

You remember JJ from when you were 3? Impressive

dawgoneyall
07-27-2015, 06:56 PM
Daniel Boyd.

He is what it should be about.

drunkernhelldawg
07-27-2015, 06:56 PM
You remember JJ from when you were 3? Impressive

you mean "tay tay"?

BeardoMSU
07-27-2015, 07:13 PM

I appreciate what he did for us, but he wouldn't crack the 3-deep on the 2015 team.

drunkernhelldawg
07-27-2015, 07:18 PM
I appreciate what he did for us, but he wouldn't crack the 3-deep on the 2015 team.

not a good place for hyperbole, imo.

BeardoMSU
07-27-2015, 07:34 PM
not a good place for hyperbole, imo.

Apologies, drunk, and point taken. I loved Wayne, just like I loved Relf, and even Tyler, but those guys aren't in the same stratosphere as Prescott. Admittedly, my "3-deep" mention was a bit overboard, lol, but was meant more as an indication of just how deep we are at the position right now. We've never had this level of talent at QB at MSU. Never. Never.

Also, that the statement "greatest MSU QB ever" could be about someone other than Dak Prescott is crazy to me. He just had an all time SEC top 10 year at his position, while winning 10 games for the 2nd time ever. The notion that people aren't on their knees thanking Allah everyday for the gift of #15, and appreciating him for what he is (i.e., the greatest MSU QB ever), bugs me.

War Machine Dawg
07-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Apologies, drunk, and point taken. I loved Wayne, just like I loved Relf, and even Tyler, but those guys aren't in the same stratosphere as Prescott. Admittedly, my "3-deep" mention was a bit overboard, lol, but was meant more as an indication of just how deep we are at the position right now. We've never had this level of talent at QB at MSU. Never. Never.

Also, that the statement "greatest MSU QB ever" could be about someone other than Dak Prescott is crazy to me. He just had an all time SEC top 10 year at his position, while winning 10 games for the 2nd time ever. The notion that people aren't on their knees thanking Allah everyday for the gift of #15, and appreciating him for what he is (i.e., the greatest MSU QB ever), bugs me.

http://i.imgur.com/oHfd32H.gif
http://i.imgur.com/2YJ5inX.gif

BeardoMSU
07-27-2015, 07:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/oHfd32H.gif
http://i.imgur.com/2YJ5inX.gif

Iehova, then.

That better, puddin?

MSUDawg4Life
07-27-2015, 07:57 PM

I want to see what Dak does this year. If he has the year we expect him to have, then he'll undeniably be the best MSU QB ever.

Coach34
07-27-2015, 07:59 PM
I want to see what Dak does this year. If he has the year we expect him to have, then he'll undeniably be the best MSU QB ever.

Dakota is already far and away the best QB in State history- this season, he is going for being one of the best in SEC history.

BeardoMSU
07-27-2015, 08:04 PM
Dakota is already far and away the best QB in State history- this season, he is going for being one of the best in SEC history.

http://i.imgur.com/45WW0wy.gif

Percho
07-27-2015, 08:16 PM
I did love to hear Jack say, Dwight D D Lewis.

Bothrops
07-27-2015, 08:20 PM
Dak Prescott

Boobie Dixon

Michael Davis

Will Clark

FlabLoser
07-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Sleepy Robinson. Dude was a warrior. Tough as nails. Put the team on his back and played his guts out. I still think we would have won the SEC had his knee not got blown out against Florida. Also the QB for Jackie's teams that defined the start of MSU's modern era of football. Those teams made State fans believe and their directly responsible for the path that got us here today.

When Dak finishes up, he'll probably get promoted to all time favorite.

shrimp
07-27-2015, 09:54 PM
Michael Davis

Prentis
07-27-2015, 10:19 PM
Kenny Roberts, he is my first cousin; and one of the main reasons why I'm a die hard bulldog fan. Plus he was fast as hell!!

gravedigger
07-27-2015, 10:19 PM
Felker Bond, mario haggan, dicenZo. Prescott. All tied for first.

Cant leave off smoot

Coach34
07-28-2015, 05:31 AM
Kenny Roberts, he is my first cousin; and one of the main reasons why I'm a die hard bulldog fan. Plus he was fast as hell!!

Kenny Ray could sho nuff get it

I seen it dawg
07-28-2015, 05:37 AM
Kenny Ray could sho nuff get it

Played against him in flag football when he was done with the real stuff. Uh yeah he was ****ing fast.

I seen it dawg
07-28-2015, 05:39 AM
Football- Dak

Basketball - Daryl Wilson

Baseball - Ricky Joe Redd from Waxahatchie, Tx home of Killer Tim Brooks. Hon mention - Eric Dubose

somebodyshotmypaw
07-28-2015, 07:55 AM
I exclude present players and teams until they complete eligibility

Football - favorite player is Norwood - favorite team is Jackie's team he took to Atlanta

Basketball - favorite player is D. Wilson - favorite team is final four team

Baseball - favorite player is Hunter Renfroe - favorite team is group of Piatt, Dubose, Freeman, Lee, Hauswald, Patton, etc.

somebodyshotmypaw
07-28-2015, 07:56 AM

Kenny was from Hamilton wasn't he? Same school as Don Smith. I've got lots of kin that graduated there.

RocketCityDawg
07-28-2015, 08:59 AM
I've loved dozens of players through the years, but there can only be one favorite.

Dak. And it's not even close.

BulldogBear
07-28-2015, 10:06 AM
I did love to hear Jack say, Dwight D D Lewis.
Yep.

Wish upon wish we could've gotten to hear him say Dakota Prescott.

drunkernhelldawg
07-28-2015, 10:20 AM
I love Dak, too. But this thread has turned from an honoring of favorite players to a Dak love fest. I think the thread would be more legit if it only included players who are no longer with us. Hope we try again soon, because I love these kind of memory threads.

I do appreciate the DD Lewis mention. That's in my blood too.

Percho
07-28-2015, 10:54 AM
I really do not have a favorite. There are just to many when the old mind ponders.

LiterallyPolice
07-28-2015, 11:00 AM
No love for Timmy Bowers in this thread? He's gotta be up there, if not at the top, for me. Dude was clutch.

tcdog70
07-28-2015, 11:07 AM
I surely do love some Dak. And this year will be huge for Him. If He does what we expect, then He will be the all-time best QB. But to say as of now that we have no other QB in His class---well that might not be true.

John Bond and Jackie Parker both stack up against Dak pretty Well. Dak has been a Starter 1 year--Bond was a 3 year Starter and almost Started all the games His Freshman Year. He beat Bama, Miami, Auburn, Ole Miss, Killed LSU all 4 years. And Jackie was the SEC most valuable Player who set a scoring record that lasted a long-ass time. So don't discount other QBs so fast. I hope this year DAK leaves no Doubt He is the MAN.

Johnson Murphy ADD
07-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Mr. 615, Dontae' Jones (you never said football), because he was the ultimate "ringer".

LC Dawg
07-28-2015, 11:51 AM
I surely do love some Dak. And this year will be huge for Him. If He does what we expect, then He will be the all-time best QB. But to say as of now that we have no other QB in His class---well that might not be true.

John Bond and Jackie Parker both stack up against Dak pretty Well. Dak has been a Starter 1 year--Bond was a 3 year Starter and almost Started all the games His Freshman Year. He beat Bama, Miami, Auburn, Ole Miss, Killed LSU all 4 years. And Jackie was the SEC most valuable Player who set a scoring record that lasted a long-ass time. So don't discount other QBs so fast. I hope this year DAK leaves no Doubt He is the MAN.

And don't forget Don Smith. 1st team All SEC. Our quarterback history is pretty weak but you are correct in that it isn't just Dak and no one else.
When Dak wins the Heisman this year their will absolutely be no doubt who is the greatest but we have had a few qbs who aren't slouches.

maroonmania
07-28-2015, 11:53 AM
This is just favorite player in each sport to watch play while they were at MSU:

Football - Eric Moulds (I look for Dak to take over this spot after this year)

Basketball - Daryl Wilson

Baseball - Rafael Palmeiro

All these guys were electric to watch and played their best against the best opponents.

cpilkenton
07-28-2015, 02:52 PM
For me, it was Ed Smith and Kelvin Love. Ed Smith used to live next door to me and he was a maniac on defense. Kelvin Love was not so much for his game play, but I had a class with him and he was the funniest person I have ever met. The class was taught by Johnnie Cooks. We used to listen to Kelvin blame Robert Bean for every loss of the 1998 season.

I have to do 2-