PDA

View Full Version : Cape Cod League pitchers update

messageboardsuperhero
07-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Vance Tatum- Has made six starts and gone 5+ innings giving up 2 ERs or less in each of them. He has an ERA of 1.63.

Dakota Hudson- Has been used as a starter and reliever at times, and I hope we plan on using him as a starter next year. He's been pretty damn electric all summer- struck out nine in 5.2 innings the other night. He has an ERA of 1.86 on the summer.

Austin Sexton- Got off to a really slow start but has been outstanding in his last three starts. Went 7 innings last night and struck out 12! He's only allowed 1 earned run in his last 17+ innings. Going into that stretch his ERA was 6.61, and now it is 3.47.

Daniel Brown- Has had a pretty good summer. His ERA is 2.13, but he's walking way too many people. That needs to stop if he wants to be the elite bullpen arm he's capable of being for us.

Zac Houston- Good summer. 1.68 ERA, striking out more than one batter per inning- should have a nice year for us either out of the pen or as a starter.

So we have five pitchers in the cape- all of whom have looked pretty damn good against the best college talent in America. Has any school had as good of a pitching group in the cape this summer? I kind of doubt it. There's no excuse for us not to be a much better team on the mound next year.

MsStateBaseball
07-26-2015, 10:02 PM
We have the talent to go far next year. I'm really excited. Questions remain at 1B, 3B and what new guys will help and what roles they play.

DistrictDawg92
07-26-2015, 11:32 PM
It's been proven over and over again recently that an elite pitching team with an average lineup is a better recipe for success in college baseball than an average pitching team with an elite lineup, especially in a tournament. If we can have a 2013 type staff, we might make some noise. While we won't have the top end hitters that we had in 2013 I think we will have a deeper lineup 1-9. If Hunphries and Rooker can account for Renfroes production and maybe plus some we could possibly make some noise next year. I expect Robson to have a similar season to that of Fraziers senior year. Cohen knows he has to win this year and I think he has the tools to do it.

MetEdDawg
07-27-2015, 06:08 AM
We have the talent to go far next year. I'm really excited. Questions remain at 1B, 3B and what new guys will help and what roles they play.

If Lowe can step in and just straight up take 1st base and be the power hitter we need him to be, that to me completely changes the outlook of this team. With him and Rooker, those are two legit power bats that this lineup will need.

KB21
07-27-2015, 08:10 AM
Cole Gordon will likely be a power bat in the line up as well. We may not have a Hunter Renfroe or Connor Powers type of power hitter, though I think Rooker could be. However, we will have more guys that have 8-10 home run power than we have had recently with Reid Humphreys, Brent Rooker, Cole Gordon, Nathaniel Lowe, and Gavin Collins. Gavin is a year out from his hamate bone injury, and it usually takes a year for hitters to get their power back after that injury.

Tbonewannabe
07-27-2015, 08:14 AM
If Lowe can step in and just straight up take 1st base and be the power hitter we need him to be, that to me completely changes the outlook of this team. With him and Rooker, those are two legit power bats that this lineup will need.

The 3rd baseman we picked up late could also factor in. Hopefully he is over the injury and recovered. Also Gordon might have something to say about 1st base. This might be one of the most powerful lineup we have had in a while. Hopefully they don't all turn into slap hitters and actually crush some.

messageboardsuperhero
07-27-2015, 08:15 AM
I wouldn't count Cole Gordon out of the 1B competition just yet. He leads the GSL in batting average and is 1 behind the leader in home runs (who has gotten about 50 more ABs than Gordon).

http://greatlakesscbl.bbstats.pointstreak.com/player.html?playerid=813202&seasonid=29006

We also have Brent Rooker going for the triple crown in the New England league. Jacob Robson is a cape cod league all-star. Only 4 of our 12 position players in summer leagues are hitting below .300.

http://www.scout.com/college/mississippi-state/story/1567081-msu-baseball-summer-league-stats-july-27