PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Pro Showcase Event July 27-30

KB21
07-26-2015, 08:34 PM
This is the event where the players are chosen by major league baseball scouts. The 2015 event starts tomorrow. Of note, several 2016 MSU commitments have been selected for this event: Walker Robbins, Reed Smith, Alex Speas, Graham Ashcroft, and Mitchell Miller will be playing in this event.

Also, another player who is playing in this event is very notable. AJ Brown from Starkville has been selected and will play in this event. Brown, Robbins, Smith, and Aschroft will be on the same team (New York Mets) in this event. Mitchell Miller and Alex Speas will be playing on the Baltimore Orioles team. That team is loaded with some Georgia talent as well.

Political Hack
07-26-2015, 08:44 PM
This is the event where the players are chosen by major league baseball scouts. The 2015 event starts tomorrow. Of note, several 2016 MSU commitments have been selected for this event: Walker Robbins, Reed Smith, Alex Speas, Graham Ashcroft, and Mitchell Miller will be playing in this event.

Also, another player who is playing in this event is very notable. AJ Brown from Starkville has been selected and will play in this event. Brown, Robbins, Smith, and Aschroft will be on the same team (New York Mets) in this event. Mitchell Miller and Alex Speas will be playing on the Baltimore Orioles team. That team is loaded with some Georgia talent as well.

yeah, there's a kid from north Atlanta that State's interested in that's there this weekend. Apparently, you've got to be a stud just to get an invite.

messageboardsuperhero
07-26-2015, 08:53 PM
This class won't be rated as high as 2015 because of numbers, but the quality of player is every bit as good, IMO.

I seen it dawg
07-26-2015, 09:08 PM
Watch out for Jake Slaughter from La in that showcase. SS committed to LSU that hopefully won't see their campus. Will prob be with that Mets group with AJ.

For sure on Mets. Wearing 23

Todd4State
07-26-2015, 09:09 PM
AJ Brown also got selected to the Under Armour All-American Game in August for baseball as well.

Todd4State
07-26-2015, 09:11 PM
This class won't be rated as high as 2015 because of numbers, but the quality of player is every bit as good, IMO.

I agree. We're probably looking at a top 15 class for this group if I had to guess- we're still going to add a few more players I'm sure.

KB21
07-26-2015, 09:12 PM
I was told today that AJ is twice as natural as a baseball player than he is as a football player.

Todd4State
07-26-2015, 09:15 PM
The weird thing about AJ is the word on the street was that he was going to focus solely on football- and that was kind of conformed when he didn't go to the Perfect Game Showcases.

Then he gets selected for the UA AA Game and now this.

KB21
07-26-2015, 09:23 PM
In the 2014 East Coast Pro Showcase, Austin Riley, Jared Padgett, Hunter Stovall, Trysten Barlow, and Elih Marrero were selected.

Homedawg
07-26-2015, 09:33 PM

Aj brown isn't a d1 baseball player. Is a gifted athlete, that if he spent time on baseball might could become one, but will get eaten alive at the d1 level.

Homedawg
07-26-2015, 09:33 PM
I was told today that AJ is twice as natural as a baseball player than he is as a football player.

From who? Better get another "I was told" person.

Homedawg
07-26-2015, 09:34 PM
I agree. We're probably looking at a top 15 class for this group if I had to guess- we're still going to add a few more players I'm sure.

We aren't anywhere near done from what I gather.

KB21
07-26-2015, 09:40 PM
Aj brown isn't a d1 baseball player. Is a gifted athlete, that if he spent time on baseball might could become one, but will get eaten alive at the d1 level.

So, the pro scouts must be out of their mind picking him for an elite event like this one.

MsStateBaseball
07-26-2015, 09:45 PM
We have 11 commits but I think Speas goes pro. We will lose 12-15 via graduation, draft or transfer off the 2016 club. So I bet we sign 5 more plus 1-3 preferred walkons, so I put this class at 16-18.

MsStateBaseball
07-26-2015, 09:49 PM
I hope we get 1 more OF (Diponzio), 1B/3B, pitchers. We need to start working on 2017 class.

Todd4State
07-26-2015, 10:34 PM
So, the pro scouts must be out of their mind picking him for an elite event like this one.

It's going to be interesting to see how AJ does against that kind of competition.

ZedFedder
07-26-2015, 11:50 PM
MsState and Todd, any idea on the guys that we are trying to finish with? Any big names we are high on their lists?

MsStateBaseball
07-27-2015, 06:19 AM
The top 200 listed on PG are virtually gone. Diponzio is an OF from Georgia that I like. They could be eyeing JC guys. Very hard to keep up w baseball recruiting, unlike football. I will keep an eye out for official visits during FB games this fall.

Jacksondevildog
07-27-2015, 06:39 AM
I believe that Cohen has over signed every year that's he's been here. I don't see that changing.

We have 11 commits but I think Speas goes pro. We will lose 12-15 via graduation, draft or transfer off the 2016 club. So I bet we sign 5 more plus 1-3 preferred walkons, so I put this class at 16-18.

Homedawg
07-27-2015, 07:54 AM

Aj is a big, strong, fast athlete that has enough tools that makes him appealing to scouts. Like I said, if he focused on baseball, he might become a decent player at the next level, might. However, he is not anywhere close to being a d1 player right now. Not close.

shoeless joe
07-27-2015, 10:01 AM
Aj is a big, strong, fast athlete that has enough tools that makes him appealing to scouts. Like I said, if he focused on baseball, he might become a decent player at the next level, might. However, he is not anywhere close to being a d1 player right now. Not close.

You're correct. He has the tools and the potential, he's not there now. But a lot of guys get drafted based on tools and potential.

SouthMsDawg
07-27-2015, 10:17 AM
In the 2014 East Coast Pro Showcase, Austin Riley, Jared Padgett, Hunter Stovall, Trysten Barlow, and Elih Marrero were selected.

And we were able to bring 4 of the 5 to campus. Hopefully we can bring 4 of the 5 guys this year to MSU (we have less than a 1% chance with Speas)

Homedawg
07-27-2015, 01:46 PM
You're correct. He has the tools and the potential, he's not there now. But a lot of guys get drafted based on tools and potential.

Correct. I never said he couldn't or shouldn't get drafted, he's a semi-projectable guy. Big difference between that and a guy who can come in and play sec baseball. He's a project. Pro teams can wait on projects.