PDA

View Full Version : Your 5 toughest players to replace from 2014...

maroonmania
07-24-2015, 10:32 AM
since we are all still sitting around waiting for the football season to start who do you think, in order, are our 5 most difficult players to replace from last year's team? Mine are ---

1. Evan Sobiesk (sorry, have no confidence in being able to make FGs with Dan coaching these guys)
2. Malcolm Johnson (Gus Walley appears to be the best but he's small and seemingly can't stay healthy)
3. Matt Wells (dude was just a freak and will be difficult to replace though we have some good candidates)
4. Preston Smith (9.5 sacks, can Brown, Jefferson or anyone else come close to that?)
5. Dillon Day (C and captain of the OL, Clayborn has the physical ability but can he make the calls and the fact that he mysteriously missed half the season last year is concerning)

Leroy Jenkins
07-24-2015, 10:35 AM
Good discussion topic.

Smith
Day
Eulls/PJ Jones
Wells
Claussell

Edit: Just noticed I didn't list our highest drafted player (BMac). Guess I feel good about the Mike.

5 Star
07-24-2015, 10:40 AM
Dillon Day and Ben Beckwith on offense. Matt Wells and Justin Cox on defense. We already see how much we missed Cox in the last few games of last year, and we need safety help.

Leroy Jenkins
07-24-2015, 10:43 AM
Dillon Day and Ben Beckwith on offense. Matt Wells and Justin Cox on defense. We already see how much we missed Cox in the last few games of last year, and we need safety help.

Cox was my 1st choice, I just couldn't bring myself to admit it though

MetEdDawg
07-24-2015, 10:45 AM
since we are all still sitting around waiting for the football season to start who do you think, in order, are our 5 most difficult players to replace from last year's team? Mine are ---

1. Evan Sobiesk (sorry, have no confidence in being able to make FGs with Dan coaching these guys)
2. Malcolm Johnson (Gus Walley appears to be the best but he's small and seemingly can't stay healthy)
3. Matt Wells (dude was just a freak and will be difficult to replace though we have some good candidates)
4. Preston Smith (9.5 sacks, can Brown, Jefferson or anyone else come close to that?)
5 Dillon Day (C and captain of the OL, Clayborn has the physical ability but can he make the calls and the fact that he mysteriously missed half the season last year is concerning)

Interesting list. Here's mine:
1. Evan Sobiesk: Really wished he had stayed another year. Needed his accuracy and the known that he would most likely come in and do pretty well for us. A solid kicker could be the difference between 8 and 10 wins for us this year.

2. Preston Smith: First legit pass rusher we've had in a while. He totally changed what our front 7 was able to do because of that. He commanded a lot of double teams which freed up our talented DL and LBs to get TFL's. His productivity will be tough to replace on an individual basis. It might be made up in the aggregate, but the more impactful thing to me is an individual that causes that many problems. He did that and that will be tough to replace.

3. Matt Wells: His energy and speed will be missed, but hopefully replaced. He made those sideline to sideline plays that opened your eyes. Saved us quite a few times and really was a matchup nightmare because of his speed at his size.

4. Blaine Clausell: Started at LT for 3 years and really improved a lot from his first few appearances. LT concerns me right now and I think we will miss what Clausell brought to that side. He became a very serviceable LT and we HAVE to have production from that spot to help out the young running game and our physical presence on short yardage situations. Hoping Rufus can show he's ready because he will get tested early on against LSU and Auburn.

5. Dillon Day: Made the calls and checks for the OL, and even though he didn't play as well as he should have his senior year, he was still an experienced force in the middle. Hoping Clayborn can take over and there be no drop off in play.

dawgs
07-24-2015, 10:54 AM
1) Matt wells

2) Sobieski

tbh, after that I'm not too terribly concerned. We need some guys to step up, but I think Clayborne, desper, walley, Bryant, Jefferson, peters, etc. will step in and ensure the DL, safety, and OL spots don't have a drop off. I am very bullish on Jefferson this year, he always seemed to make plays when on the field last year and then dominated the spring game.

LC Dawg
07-24-2015, 11:21 AM
1. Evan Sobiesk: Because Dan Mullen and kickers

2. Matt Wells: I heard someone in the stands last year say that they wished we could get more out of Matt Wells. I questioned him and he said that you never hear Wells's name called. I just shook my head but that made me think that even though everyone knew he was a freak athlete that Wells was under the radar a little because he was not a traditional lb and didn't have a high number of tackles because he was in coverage so often. Truth is, he limited tremendously what offenses could run against us. Diaz coming in probably lessens the blow because if we tried to play someone else this year in the exact same role as Wells last year I think we'd be in trouble.

3. Blaine Clausell: It was nice the last couple of years not really having to worry about LT. I know we have some good players from which to pick a replacement but it's always nice to have a starter returning at this position.

4. Malcolm Johnson: We may be ok at TE but we don't know yet. It would be nice to know that Dak had Malcolm to rely on.

5. Preston Smith: Him coming out so strong at the beginning of the season made opposing offenses take notice and approach us differently. We really need someone to step up and do that for us this year. I think Ryan Brown will.

I really could have stopped at four. My first four may not be our best players from last year but they play positions where their replacements are still a little unknown. Preston Smith, Bmac and Josh Robinson were obviously three of our best players but I feel good about their replacements. I hope our safety play is good this year because I don't want to hear throughout the year that we miss Justin Cox.

RiverCityDawg
07-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Top 3 are easy to me:

1) Malcolm - Not sure any of our TE's this year could block my grandma.
2) Wells - No one with his size/speed combination on the roster unless Jung is better than expected and/or Harris is back to running 4.4.
3) Sobiesk - I was surprised he did as well as he did. Will need someone to make a huge leap this year too.

After that would put Smith based on his talent level, but I like AJ. McKinney will be missed against Alabama, LSU and Ark, but not so much against spread teams. I hope replacing JRob is as easy as we seem to think, but I'm wavering on that after watching some replays from last year.

MSUDawg4Life
07-24-2015, 11:33 AM
Matt Wells
Malcolm Johnson
Blaine Clausell
Josh Robinson
Benardrick McKinney

I'm not sure why people keep mentioning Sobiesk. Good Bulldog, but I'm sure we can find somebody to kick 30-yard or less field goals.

Dawg496
07-24-2015, 11:47 AM
1a Matt Wells
1b Malcolm Johnson
3 Josh Robinson
4 Preston Smith
5 McKinney?

LC Dawg
07-24-2015, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure why people keep mentioning Sobiesk. Good Bulldog, but I'm sure we can find somebody to kick 30-yard or less field goals.

I mentioned Sobiesk because I'm not sure we can find somebody to kick 30-yard or less field goals. I wish I didn't feel that way but I do based on prior years under Mullen.

thf24
07-24-2015, 11:59 AM
1) Malcolm - Not sure any of our TE's this year could block my grandma.

I'm sure Hutcherson can block your grandma, but not sure if he can run routes or catch as well as she can. I'm not super worried about the position as I think Walley is going to at least mildly surprise some people as a receiver, but I think it's a safe bet we'll have to either platoon based on the needs of the play, or not run as many tight end sets as years past.

I'd be a fan of running some 4-wide sets with Walley as the other slot. Peyton and Dallas Clark put up a ton of offense out of that look during their time together in Indy.

maroonmania
07-24-2015, 12:19 PM
I mentioned Sobiesk because I'm not sure we can find somebody to kick 30-yard or less field goals. I wish I didn't feel that way but I do based on prior years under Mullen.

I'm sure we can find someone to kick them, its actually making them that is the huge concern.

LC Dawg
07-24-2015, 12:37 PM
I'm sure we can find someone to kick them, its actually making them that is the huge concern.

Ha! True, but when I looked at Devon Bell's face in 2013 it looked like someone who didn't even want to attempt a field goal.

maroonmania
07-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Ha! True, but when I looked at Devon Bell's face in 2013 it looked like someone who didn't even want to attempt a field goal.

You speak the truth.

CJDAWG85
07-24-2015, 01:16 PM
I'm sure Hutcherson can block your grandma, but not sure if he can run routes or catch as well as she can. I'm not super worried about the position as I think Walley is going to at least mildly surprise some people as a receiver, but I think it's a safe bet we'll have to either platoon based on the needs of the play, or not run as many tight end sets as years past.

I'd be a fan of running some 4-wide sets with Walley as the other slot. Peyton and Dallas Clark put up a ton of offense out of that look during their time together in Indy.

I'm really disappointed with him. With him being 6'7, he should be unstoppable in the red zone. Really hope he breaks out this year.

RiverCityDawg
07-24-2015, 01:46 PM

Maybe, but right now I have the image in my head of AJ making a Hutcherson sandwich with Deddrick Thomas. Walley was a horrible blocker last year.

I agree we probably won't use the TE as much as last year. I remember Mullen's first or second year every TE we had was injured for a game so we just used another slot receiver (Heavens) to run those plays. I would probably rather just put Dear out there in the slot with Ross in the slot on the other side over any of our current TE's. This is all assuming someone like BJ Hammond or a freshman doesn't make a huge jump.

maroonmania
07-24-2015, 02:20 PM
Maybe, but right now I have the image in my head of AJ making a Hutcherson sandwich with Deddrick Thomas. Walley was a horrible blocker last year.

I agree we probably won't use the TE as much as last year. I remember Mullen's first or second year every TE we had was injured for a game so we just used another slot receiver (Heavens) to run those plays. I would probably rather just put Dear out there in the slot with Ross in the slot on the other side over any of our current TE's. This is all assuming someone like BJ Hammond or a freshman doesn't make a huge jump.

Yep, right now I'm really missing Artimas Samuel.

Where'sWaldo
07-24-2015, 02:37 PM

5. Dillon Day (C and captain of the OL, Clayborn has the physical ability but can he make the calls and the fact that he mysteriously missed half the season last year is concerning)

This is completely absurd. To have a list and put the majority of these guys over Josh Robinson proves you haven't gone back and watched our games last year. I've been going back and watching every game I recordedlast season and it's scary how many drives Robinson kept alive based on pure ability alone. We couldn't even move the ball on USA for the first few possessions because he was on the bench. As soon as he came in he made a big play and the offense started rolling. Shumpert isn't the answer so we are hoping and praying for a RS Freshman to be superman. I am hitching my horse to D Lee but I can't say I'm not nervous about it.

maroonmania
07-24-2015, 02:43 PM
This is completely absurd. To have a list and put the majority of these guys over Josh Robinson proves you haven't gone back and watched our games last year. I've been going back and watching every game I recordedlast season and it's scary how many drives Robinson kept alive based on pure ability alone. We couldn't even move the ball on USA for the first few possessions because he was on the bench. As soon as he came in he made a big play and the offense started rolling. Shumpert isn't the answer so we are hoping and praying for a RS Freshman to be superman. I am hitching my horse to D Lee but I can't say I'm not nervous about it.

Yep, you caught me. Didn't watch a down of MSU football during 2014. Seriously, Josh Robinson was a very good back for the first 2/3rds of last season but I feel confident a RB will emerge out of the group we have that will pick up the slack there more than the 5 I listed. Mullen has had a very productive RB every year he's been here, I don't look for that to change this year.

Where'sWaldo
07-24-2015, 02:47 PM
Yep, you caught me. Didn't watch a down of MSU football during 2014. Seriously, Josh Robinson was a very good back for the first 2/3rds of last season but I feel confident a RB will emerge out of the group we have that will pick up the slack there more than the 5 I listed. Mullen has had a very productive RB every year he's been here, I don't look for that to change this year.

Guess which 3rd of the season we lost all of our games?? We cannot contend for the West without a stud RB.

Dawg61
07-24-2015, 02:52 PM
1. BMac
2. JRob
3. Preston
4. Day
5. Beckwith

confucius say
07-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Guess which 3rd of the season we lost all of our games?? We cannot contend for the West without a stud RB.

I agree that we as a fan base are largely dismissing the loss of Robinson. Do we always have talented backs? Yes. But are any of them at the point in their development where jrob was last year? Don't know. And dan doesn't always use our backs correctly (see Robinson sitting behind perk). That worries as much as anything. I think our best bet is lee.

Dawg61
07-24-2015, 03:01 PM

JRob. 12 carries vs Bama, 12 carries vs Ole Miss. He had 23 carries vs Kentucky.

confucius say
07-24-2015, 03:04 PM
JRob. 12 carries vs Bama, 12 carries vs Ole Miss. He had 23 carries vs Kentucky.

It seemed like there was some animosity, or at least not everyone being on the same page, bt jrob and the staff at the end of the year. I have to think, if true, that had smn to do with jrob decreased production late in the year. never got the feeling that dan was upset he left early. Anybody know if that's true?

maroonmania
07-24-2015, 03:06 PM

Well, JRob didn't look like such a stud runner against the AL and OM defenses. I still think someone out of our RB stable will do a good job. No doubt we will miss JRob I'm just a little more confident in having a good player to replace him than in some other spots.

thf24
07-24-2015, 03:06 PM
I agree that we as a fan base are largely dismissing the loss of Robinson. Do we always have talented backs? Yes. But are any of them at the point in their development where jrob was last year? Don't know. And dan doesn't always use our backs correctly (see Robinson sitting behind perk). That worries as much as anything. I think our best bet is lee.

As has already been said many times, JRob sat behind Perk for reasons other than Mullen's perceived stubborn loyalty to upperclassmen. If JRob had kept himself on better terms with the coaches and been a better pass blocker in 2013, he would have played more. I trust Mullen to play the guys who need to play as long as they're serviceable in all facets they need to be and take care of business off the field.

Dawg61
07-24-2015, 03:20 PM
It seemed like there was some animosity, or at least not everyone being on the same page, bt jrob and the staff at the end of the year. I have to think, if true, that had smn to do with jrob decreased production late in the year. never got the feeling that dan was upset he left early. Anybody know if that's true?

No doubt there was a falling out. I'm just guessing here but it seemed to stem on the field from a couple missed blocks by JRob who in his mind was now above having to take direction from Mullen and went way downhill from there. Fan base caught wind that JRob wasn't going to return and the divorce was an easy transition from there.

Tbonewannabe
07-24-2015, 03:29 PM
As has already been said many times, JRob sat behind Perk for reasons other than Mullen's perceived stubborn loyalty to upperclassmen. If JRob had kept himself on better terms with the coaches and been a better pass blocker in 2013, he would have played more. I trust Mullen to play the guys who need to play as long as they're serviceable in all facets they need to be and take care of business off the field.

Just have to look at the game JRob was yelling at Mullen for taking a knee instead of getting him another carry. Add in the fact he was horrible at pass blocking and blocking on Dak runs. I hope he matures and turns into a great player in the NFL but those antics he does won't sit well with NFL teams and players.

shrimp
07-24-2015, 03:44 PM
1) Matt Wells
2) Preston Smith
3) Kaleb Eulls
4) Josh Robinson
5) Malcolm Johnson

confucius say
07-24-2015, 04:02 PM

I hear ya on jrob, and I was not aware of off field problems he had in 2013 that kept him off the field. If that's the reason for sitting more talented guys, I'm good with it. but let's not act like dan doesn't have a loyalty to upperclassmen. I've heard him say as much numerous times. He likes playing older guys. Is it warranted? Largely yes, as it's the correct strategy for a program based on development. But not always. Your projected nfl draft picks (Redmond, jones, dak as a sophomore) need to play unless they need a breather or game is not in doubt.

HancockCountyDog
07-24-2015, 05:04 PM
1) Matt Wells
2) Preston Smith
3) Kaleb Eulls
4) Josh Robinson
5) Malcolm Johnson

This is close to my five. I think Clausell was underrated by the fan base.

I'm not sure why our own fans like to trash players like Jrob, he was awesome last season. Did he fade down the stretch? Yeah a little, but the competition had a lot to do with that, along with the playcalling.

Dawgtini
07-24-2015, 05:14 PM
1) Matt Wells
2) Preston Smith
3) Kaleb Eulls
4) Josh Robinson
5) Malcolm Johnson
Finally someone else mentions Eulls. He did so many unheralded things that allowed others like Ri Brown P smith Ryan brown Etc to excel. I hope we have another willing to the same.

Dawg61
07-24-2015, 05:33 PM
Finally someone else mentions Eulls. He did so many unheralded things that allowed others like Ri Brown P smith Ryan brown Etc to excel. I hope we have another willing to the same.

Guess this is why 1b defense was being used so much. The coaches were forced to give the 1'b reps or we'd be replacing all these guys with rookies. So Collins gets the blame when in reality it was the foresight by the staff to realize we'd be supremely ****ed this year unless we spent some considerable minutes developing these players. Nice move by Mullen.

Dawgcentral
07-24-2015, 06:22 PM
I don't feel like folks are trashing jrob. I have read anything that wasn't true. I'd love to have to guy back honestly. Bit there were issues between he and Mullen. The guy ran hard, but missed blocking assignments regularly. He was a lethal weapon, but took risks changing direction and trying for the breakaway play when he need to plunge for a few.

He announced that he was going pro with little or no consultation from Dan and the staff. I've been told by folks close to him that he let the headlines get the best of him. I'm not knocking the guy, he had a damn hard journey, and took the high road of adversity. I hope he does really well at the next level. I think he has heart.

I seen it dawg
07-24-2015, 06:42 PM
Security guy fired during the vandy game that was working the wristband spot at scoreboard club.

He is it.

mic
07-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Security guy fired during the vandy game that was working the wristband spot at scoreboard club
He is it.

Post of the year....

Coach34
07-24-2015, 08:46 PM
1. Matt Wells
2. MoJo
3. Dillion Day (not because he is any better than Clayborn- but just because he's a mean mf'er. Every team needs mean mf'ers)
4. Preston Smith
5. Soby

everything else is is easily replaced.

Dawg61
07-24-2015, 09:51 PM
1. Matt Wells
2. MoJo
3. Dillion Day (not because he is any better than Clayborn- but just because he's a mean mf'er. Every team needs mean mf'ers)
4. Preston Smith
5. Soby

everything else is is easily replaced.

BMac got drafted very early in the 2nd round and had 244 tackles for MSU. Josh Robinson finished #3 all-time for rushing in a season. You're just being a dick when you say "is easily replaced".

Coach34
07-25-2015, 08:54 AM
BMac got drafted very early in the 2nd round and had 244 tackles for MSU. Josh Robinson finished #3 all-time for rushing in a season. You're just being a dick when you say "is easily replaced".

Its simply a matter of what we have coming in behind those players. Walter Packer was once one of our leading rushers in a season- but we don't talk about him anymore do we?

Every RB we have on the 2-Deep pass blocks better than JRob. Every RB on the 2-Deep catches the ball better than JRob. Every RB on the 2-Deep is taller than JRob. Now they all don't run the ball as well as he did at this point- but overall- we will be fine without JRob.

McKinney was a good LB against the run. But there is a reason that Richie was 5th on the team in tackles and only 20 or so behind McKinney. McKinney was not an every down player. Anything more than 3rd and 4- we were taking him out of the game because he couldn't cover Stingray in a pass pattern. With the talent we have at LB- we are not going to miss McKinney- just like we didn't miss Dixon years ago when everybody couldn't believe I said that.