PDA

View Full Version : AL.com article from sec media days on '14 MSU/Bammer Game... SIAP.... (link)

TUSK
07-24-2015, 12:45 AM
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/07/mississippi_state_just_needed.html#incart_2box

Beaver
07-24-2015, 01:07 AM
Best comment from that article comes from rolltideinva

"Alabama dominated the first half until MSU converted on a critical 4th down late in the half and later scored. After that MSU dominated. A couple of interceptions -- one in the end zone -- saved the Tide the second half. MSU's last TD drive was curious. They showed little urgency and scored in the last 20 seconds. Even if they had recovered the onside kick they would have had time for only one or two Hail Mary's".

The 15 play drive by bama in the 4th was an absolute back breaker though.

Sounds like the players were thinking what all of us were thinking after the Auburn game... 'All we have to do is beat Bama or Ole Miss, and we'll be in the 1st ever NCAA playoff...' After the bama game we saw Treadwell go down to Auburn, and Ole Miss get absolutely dominated by Arkansas and knew our place in the playoff was likely sealed.

The returning players say they've learned from this... I sure hope so. If we're only going to lose one game this season (and have a shot at the playoff), I say let's lose to Auburn on the road. Even after beating LSU, losing to AU would likely put us around 20 in the rankings. Spend the next 5 games fighting our way into the top 10, setting up another colossal match up with Bama. Maybe then we can finally pull it off.

TUSK
07-24-2015, 01:20 AM

"Alabama dominated the first half until MSU converted on a critical 4th down late in the half and later scored. After that MSU dominated. A couple of interceptions -- one in the end zone -- saved the Tide the second half. MSU's last TD drive was curious. They showed little urgency and scored in the last 20 seconds. Even if they had recovered the onside kick they would have had time for only one or two Hail Mary's".

Sounds like the players were thinking what all of us were thinking after the Auburn game... 'All we have to do is beat Bama or Ole Miss, and we'll be in the 1st ever NCAA playoff...' After the bama game we saw Treadwell go down to Auburn, and Ole Miss get absolutely dominated by Arkansas and knew our place in the playoff was likely sealed.

The returning players say they've learned from this... I sure hope so. If we're only going to lose one game this season (and have a shot at the playoff), I say let's lose to Auburn on the road. Even after beating LSU, losing to AU would likely put us around 20 in the rankings. Spend the next 5 games fighting our way into the top 10, setting up another colossal match up with Bama. Maybe then we can finally pull it off.

It was a very interesting game to watch, Beav... I think that the stage was too big for MSU (at the time/@ Bama), and between Saban taking his foot off the gas + Mullen being conservative at the end to keep it close (which was smart) made it look a bit closer...

I think it'll be a fun game to watch at DWS this year... I'm not sure it'll be as big a game (nationally) as it was in '12 or '14, tho....

I don't think either team will be undefeated.

MSUDawg4Life
07-24-2015, 04:13 AM
Two interceptions in the red zone killed us. Score a touchdown on either of those drives or even kick two field goals and we win the game.

We had plenty of opportunities to win that game. We blinked. Bama didn't.

It's going to be interesting to see if we can turn those tough situations into points this year. If so, we're going to be difficult to deal with again.

ETA:

Boxscore (http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=400548338)

Going back to look at the box score of that game, we outplayed Alabama on their home field. More first downs, passing yards and rushing yards. The difference in the game - turnovers. Three for MSU. None for Bama. That's critical and something Saban obviously teaches. The fewest mistakes often wins. They won.

MetEdDawg
07-24-2015, 06:55 AM

This is all part of the learning process we are undergoing. First time on that stage for every single one of our players and it's also the first time for Mullen who I believe is still in the learning process as a head coach. This is all part of changing the culture. Now that we've been there, I think the players understand what they have to do to take that next step. They did it a couple different times, but again, big games in September and October are totally different animals than big games in November. We've haven't played a ton of meaningful November games and we really haven't won any meaningful November games (obviously the Egg Bowl is important but the one that was most important was lost last year).

We are getting there though. We've got a lot of guys that will play this year that have been to a bowl game their entire career. The expectations are set, the magnitude of games has continued to increase every year and we've changed the expectations for sure. Now we have to learn to take a meaningful game in November. That would be a big step for us. If you are playing meaningful games in November, you are doing your job.

Covercorner2
07-24-2015, 07:22 AM
We were the better team last year and will be again this year. Just a matter if we are ready for the big stage and can get over the "Bama" intimidation factor. I think we will...

FISHDAWG
07-24-2015, 07:47 AM
It was a very interesting game to watch, Beav... I think that the stage was too big for MSU (at the time/@ Bama), and between Saban taking his foot off the gas + Mullen being conservative at the end to keep it close (which was smart) made it look a bit closer...

I think it'll be a fun game to watch at DWS this year... I'm not sure it'll be as big a game (nationally) as it was in '12 or '14, tho....

I don't think either team will be undefeated.

I just dont think Saban took his foot off the gas ... that win for yall required quite a few mistakes on our part so dont act like Saban was in absolute total control

I seen it dawg
07-24-2015, 10:11 AM
2 touchdowns we win by.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
07-24-2015, 10:22 AM
I say let's lose to Auburn on the road.

If I have to concede a loss, I'm conceding one of the trap road games @TAM or @ARK. The playoff committee suggested early losses are less damaging, so I don't want to drop the ARK game late. But unless we go undefeated I think we'll need the tiebreaker over AUB to win the West, considering their schedule. Also, I'm just so ready to beat them on the plains. I hope this time the war eagle flies through the glass crashes into the concession stand & lands in the deep fryer.

spudd21
07-24-2015, 10:44 AM
I just dont think Saban took his foot off the gas ... that win for yall required quite a few mistakes on our part so dont act like Saban was in absolute total control

I agree, I just don't see Saban letting up. Not his style.

Dawg Corps
07-24-2015, 10:47 AM
If I have to concede a loss, I'm conceding one of the trap road games @TAM or @ARK. The playoff committee suggested early losses are less damaging, so I don't want to drop the ARK game late. But unless we go undefeated I think we'll need the tiebreaker over AUB to win the West, considering their schedule. Also, I'm just so ready to beat them on the plains. I hope this time the war eagle flies through the glass crashes into the concession stand & lands in the deep fryer.

I was there for that too. The entire stadium went pretty much silent except for the State fans who saw it that were laughing hysterically. I'll remember that one for a loooong time, though I'd like to forget how damn close we were to pulling that one out. Relf just didn't quite get there.

Dawg61
07-24-2015, 12:57 PM
We were the better team last year and will be again this year. Just a matter if we are ready for the big stage and can get over the "Bama" intimidation factor. I think we will...

Mullen tightened up and played his guaranteed to lose style aka Croomball. The dreaded ultra-conservative style. Even though he was #1 in the country he still reverted to thinking and acting like he was the underdog little man again.

FISHDAWG
07-24-2015, 01:03 PM
Mullen tightened up and played his guaranteed to lose style aka Croomball. The dreaded ultra-conservative style. Even though he was #1 in the country he still reverted to thinking and acting like he was the underdog little man again.

this is total horseshit ... 3 turnovers- 1 in the red zone, another in the end zone and not stopping their last drive is what did it (and he didn't go into a prevent def on that last drive either) ...... look at the stats before you spraying your goatshit all over the wall ..... I doubt any team plays "not-to-lose" against Bama

maroonmania
07-24-2015, 01:11 PM
this is total horseshit ... 3 turnovers- 1 in the red zone, another in the end zone and not stopping their last drive is what did it (and he didn't go into a prevent def on that last drive either) ...... look at the stats before you spraying your goatshit all over the wall ..... I doubt any team plays "not-to-lose" against Bama

Exactly, we outplayed Bama overall (outgained them by 100 yards) but threw 2 red zone INTs plus Josh Robinson had a brain fart moment by running backwards into the endzone to hand Bama a 2 point safety. You can't make critical mistakes like that in a game of that magnitude and expect to win but I don't see how you can blame those screwups on Mullen.

Dawg61
07-24-2015, 01:17 PM

Last drive Mullen took up all the clock. Zero urgency to try for two scores. Mullen played not to lose. He always does in big games.

Dawg61
07-24-2015, 01:23 PM
Exactly, we outplayed Bama overall (outgained them by 100 yards) but threw 2 red zone INTs plus Josh Robinson had a brain fart moment by running backwards into the endzone to hand Bama a 2 point safety. You can't make critical mistakes like that in a game of that magnitude and expect to win but I don't see how you can blame those screwups on Mullen.

It's the same Mullenball that we've always seen only difference last year was we had Dak leading the Heisman race for awhile. Remember two years ago when Bama had like five or six turnovers vs us and we still lost. Mullen plays like Croom vs Bama. Mullen lacks the kill switch.

shoeless joe
07-24-2015, 01:38 PM
It's the same Mullenball that we've always seen only difference last year was we had Dak leading the Heisman race for awhile. Remember two years ago when Bama had like five or six turnovers vs us and we still lost. Mullen plays like Croom vs Bama. Mullen lacks the kill switch.

You mean the game where we ha a true freshman at QB in crunch time and still were a dropped pass away from being on the game...you're right terrible job by Mullen.

FISHDAWG
07-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Last drive Mullen took up all the clock. Zero urgency to try for two scores. Mullen played not to lose. He always does in big games.

how can you play not to lose when we never had the lead ?

BulldogBear
07-24-2015, 01:55 PM

He didn't. That's more of that lil' ol Mittippi Tate crap. *** Surely mighty Saban let up. He had to have for this to reconcile or make sense. We were in the game because we simply were? Surely not. ***

Sarcasm aside. (1) Yes, Bama played an almost perfect game. (2) They better have. Without doing so THEY WOULD NOT HAVE WON.

Saban did not "let up." We got Bama's best friggin' game all season. We took their best shot. Good for them. It was the only way they were gonna win.

Dawg61
07-24-2015, 02:01 PM
how can you play not to lose when we never had the lead ?

It's our offensive play-calling (Mullen) and pace of play (Mullen) that becomes conservative when Mullen thinks the opponent has a better team than him. He'll never admit it but it's plain as day if you're looking for it. Again this is nothing new. Remember when Mullen went almost an entire season without using a timeout vs Bama, LSU and Auburn. Mullen reverted back to that guy when he took his #1 team in the country into Tuscaloosa last year. By bringing it up and talking about it I'm hoping that Mullen will become aware of it himself. It's the last hurdle for this program. So that the next time we are #1 in the country Mullen will actually believe it and coach like it. Basically he spends 10,000 hours painting the most beautiful masterpiece you've ever seen only to take a giant shit on it 2 minutes before the bidding starts. That has to stop.

TUSK
07-24-2015, 02:06 PM

this is correct... I think, however, it was probably wise to make certain to get that last TD, make the score look close and stay in the CFP picture...

FISHDAWG
07-24-2015, 02:20 PM

sounds kinda like Tiger Woods ... is he playing not to lose as well ?

Dawg61
07-24-2015, 02:20 PM
this is correct... I think, however, it was probably wise to make certain to get that last TD, make the score look close and stay in the CFP picture...

Two problems with that. 1) that means Mullen accepted that his #1 team in the country was going to lose with half of a quarter left and 2) Ohio State was going to leapfrog us even if Mullen didn't have his 2nd bed-shitting incident vs Ole Miss. He didn't have the luxury of a loss. Hindsight is 20/20 but MSU was only getting into the playoff with a win over Bama. We could of still gotten in with a win over Bama, a loss to Ole Miss followed up by a win over Mizzou. Everything was to play for vs Bama. Everything and Mullen folded up shop with over six minutes left only down two scores.

Dawg61
07-24-2015, 02:23 PM
sounds kinda like Tiger Woods ... is he playing not to lose as well ?

Nice thread hijack. Tiger Woods can never win again and he'll still end up with six more PGA wins than Nicklaus had.

BulldogBear
07-24-2015, 02:39 PM
It's our offensive play-calling (Mullen) and pace of play (Mullen) that becomes conservative when Mullen thinks the opponent has a better team than him. He'll never admit it but it's plain as day if you're looking for it. Again this is nothing new. Remember when Mullen went almost an entire season without using a timeout vs Bama, LSU and Auburn. Mullen reverted back to that guy when he took his #1 team in the country into Tuscaloosa last year. By bringing it up and talking about it I'm hoping that Mullen will become aware of it himself. It's the last hurdle for this program. So that the next time we are #1 in the country Mullen will actually believe it and coach like it. Basically he spends 10,000 hours painting the most beautiful masterpiece you've ever seen only to take a giant shit on it 2 minutes before the bidding starts. That has to stop.

No, no, no. What he does is spends hour upon hour putting together a 1,000 piece puzzle. When 999 are laid out, instead of placing the last piece... he eats it.

Dawg61
07-24-2015, 02:46 PM
No, no, no. What he does is spends hour upon hour putting together a 1,000 piece puzzle. When 999 are laid out, instead of placing the last piece... he eats it.

Lol that works too

DancingRabbit
07-24-2015, 02:53 PM

Ha, I'm sure Dan is taking notes right now.

The only serious complaint I had with Dan in that game was conservative play calling in the first half, and some of that may have been on Dak.

Dawg61
07-24-2015, 03:11 PM
The only serious complaint I had with Dan in that game was conservative play calling in the first half, and some of that may have been on Dak.

We'll never beat Bama by going conservative. That's playing into Saban and Bama's comfort zone. They need to be uncomfortable for 60 minutes to lose.

Dawg61
07-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Alabama 2015

check out Bama's five game schedule before they play AT Davis Wade.

Oct. 3 at Georgia
Oct. 10 Arkansas
Oct. 17 at aTm
Oct. 24 Tennessee
Nov. 7 LSU
Nov. 14 at Mississippi State

Mullen going to get the Saban monkey off his back this year?

Tbonewannabe
07-24-2015, 03:55 PM
Alabama 2015

Oct. 3 at Georgia
Oct. 10 Arkansas
Oct. 17 at aTm
Oct. 24 Tennessee
Nov. 7 LSU

If we don't beat them this year, it may never happen. We get them at home after 5 straight weeks of SEC games and the week after LSU.

DancingRabbit
07-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Two problems with that. 1) that means Mullen accepted that his #1 team in the country was going to lose with half of a quarter left and 2) Ohio State was going to leapfrog us even if Mullen didn't have his 2nd bed-shitting incident vs Ole Miss. He didn't have the luxury of a loss. Hindsight is 20/20 but MSU was only getting into the playoff with a win over Bama. We could of still gotten in with a win over Bama, a loss to Ole Miss followed up by a win over Mizzou. Everything was to play for vs Bama. Everything and Mullen folded up shop with over six minutes left only down two scores.

No way I believe that.

With 8 minutes left we drive down to their red zone and on a tipped pass Dak gets intercepted. Duration of the drive was 3 minutes. One or two plays before the pick Dak just missed Bear in the end zone. Probably would have completed it but Bama got away with PI.

Bama gets it with 5 minutes left, goes 3 and out but uses up almost 2 minutes.

We get the ball back inside our 30 with 3 minutes left. Since we needed 2 scores Bama was playing with 6 DBs and forced us to take the underneath stuff. At this point we are playing to score and the onside kick. We scored but failed on the onside kick.

The killer late was the interception with 5 minutes left.

TUSK
07-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Alabama 2015

Oct. 3 at Georgia
Oct. 10 Arkansas
Oct. 17 at aTm
Oct. 24 Tennessee
Nov. 7 LSU

Our schedule is Buh Rutal this year...

http://yellowhammernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/yh_101514_ua.jpg