PDA

View Full Version : Good research project for someone with some time

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2015, 01:58 PM
Was listening to Bo Bounds this morning and he was talking about how MSU has 34 or so juniors on the team. This got me thinking about how much more mature and discipline your team is with older players rather than young players. We don't have to look any further than BYU to see this effect. Due to players having to go on Mission trips after their freshmen year, BYU often plays with a lineup full of 23 and 24 year old players that are competing against 19 & 20 year olds on the other team.

My question is if Mullen's redshirting has created a similar phenomenon at MSU?

The research question is simple: how does the average age of MSU's starting 22 players compare to other teams in the SEC?

thedawginme
07-23-2015, 04:38 PM
how much more mature and discipline your team is with older players rather than young players. We don't have to look any further than BYU to see this effect. Due to players having to go on Mission trips after their freshmen year, BYU often plays with a lineup full of 23 and 24 year old players that are competing against 19 & 20 year olds on the other team.

BYU is disciplined? What makes you think that? Weren't they one of the most penalized teams last year (like Top 10)?

CJDAWG85
07-23-2015, 04:45 PM
How many Seniors are on our roster?

MSUDawg99
07-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Here is the roster. You can filter on the Year column & it will put them in order of Fr - Sr.

http://www.hailstate.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&SPID=10997&SPSID=90891&DB_OEM_ID=16800

thf24
07-23-2015, 05:25 PM
BYU is disciplined? What makes you think that? Weren't they one of the most penalized teams last year (like Top 10)?

They also started and prolonged the brawl at the end of the bowl game against Memphis.

DanDority
07-23-2015, 05:51 PM
Somebody help me out, when looking at the roster, what does SQ under experience stand for?
Thanks,

DancingRabbit
07-23-2015, 05:59 PM
Somebody help me out, when looking at the roster, what does SQ under experience stand for?
Thanks,

Stands for "squad". The player hasn't lettered.

Beaver
07-23-2015, 07:14 PM
How many Seniors are on our roster?

According to HailState.com

14 Seniors
34 Juniors
15 Sophomores
47 Freshman -- 2015 recruiting class plus redshirts from last season

Prediction? Pain.
07-24-2015, 10:34 AM
Phil Steele ranks every FBS team by the ages of players on the two-deep. (And by "age," I mean year in school.) State is tied with U. Miss. and five other teams for 36th in the nation, and is tied with U. Miss. for 1st in the SEC.

Here's the chart:

http://philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/JUNE15/DBJune15.html

If you're interested, Steele also has a new global "Experience Chart" that combines the two-deep chart with four other returning-experience metrics: yards returning, tackles returning, lettermen returning, and career OL starts returning. State is fairly high in the yards-returning chart (5th in the SEC), but in the bottom half of the conference in the other three categories. That makes State's rank on the global chart fairly low (9th in the SEC).

Here's the link to the global chart, which will let you access the other charts as well:

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/JUNE15/DBJune16.html