PDA

View Full Version : Some Recruiting Thoughts...

BankerDog
07-22-2015, 01:18 PM
It seems as though we might get a commitment from Greg Eiland here in the next few weeks. He's a big 6'6 330 OL from Philadelphia. If we add him, that leaves us with Nalls, Parker, Champion. While also waiting on Scott Lashley out of West Point. The wild card here I think is Gentle Williams out of Florence who could play either G/T. Have seen where he had a great BDC showing. This could be a pretty interesting situation to keep an eye on.

Keeping it with offense, I'm wondering what is going on at WR. We're on AJ Brown hard and seem to be turning up the heat on Daniel Cornwell. But after those two, I don't know who we're on. I keep hearing of Jerriko Morris, but I don't think he'll pull the trigger. I see we had a 4* WR visit as BDC, his name escapes me right now. Could this leave open a spot for John Michael Hankerson?

The next thing I wanna talk about is the DL class. With the recent decommitment of Caleb Tillman; that leaves Tre Brown as our only commmited DL. It seems to me, though, we are putting a lot of hope on the instate guys to stay home: Jeff Simmons, Damion Dickens, Kobe Jones, the Mason kid from down in McComb; The two wild cards are Emmitt Gooden but he looks like a TN lean and a hopeful flip of Rae Davis, a guy who could play either DL or OL.

At LB we have DeShon Cooper who some say may or may not be in the class and if he is, he will play with his hand on the ground. Erroll Thompson and Jeremiah Moon have us in their Top 5s. Thompson is 6'3 240 already so I could see him with his hand on the ground as well. Moon is more of a OLB type.

At DB it seems when we are almost done, we pick up another guy. They're saying Nero Nelson might play DB with the group we already have Durr, Morgan-Walker, Allen, Dantzler, Jones, Charles. You keep a spot open for Knott if he decides to stay in state. We then offered Ronald Walker after BDC, a former Ole Miss signee, who I think is gonna be this year's Tony Bridges. I really like this kid and hope we can find room in this class, but it seems we might be limited.

You look at the guys we have leaving after this year: Prescott, Morrow, Hutcherson, R. Warren, J. Malone, Ryan Brown, Zach Jackson, Kendrick Market, Calhoun, Redmond, Devon Bell. With some JRs who have the potential to leave: Chris Jones, De'Runny Wilson for sure and possibly Richie Brown, Beni Brown, and Fred Ross. Coupled in that Christy has already left along with Sillis and Flowers who may or may not be back. That is 15 scholarships right there not including the Brown bros and Fred Ross. It'll be interesting to see how this class shapes out come Feb.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-22-2015, 01:32 PM
OL - Gentle is a C/G prospect not G/T he's only about 6'3". He did look really good at BDC.

WR - AJ is the top target of course. We're on Crowell not confident in flipping him right now. Marquis McClain from Fla is a take & we lead for him. Jeriko has work to do in the class room. Whenever we tell him to get in he will. I'm not huge on Hankerson but we'll see how that shakes out.

DL - We have Tre committed. Kobe will be a Dawg. Dickens & Mason are heavy leans. We continue to recruit Jeffery the way we have & he will be a Dawg in the end. That would be a great haul & if you can flip Raekwon that would be the icing on the cake even though I think he's a future All SEC RT. Also sign & place Marquiss Spencer.

LB - I don't see Cooper in this class. Erroll & Moon are the top 2 LB & both are deciding in the next month or so. I feel really good on Erroll & ok on Moon. Moon just doesn't talk recruiting to anybody so hard to get a read on him. After those 2 the next group is JaCorey Morris (South Carolina commit from AL), Drelan Porter from USP, & DeRyan Wansley from Newton Co. Wansley is the only 1 of the group without an offer.

DB - I think the only guy we would take is Knott. Now if Cam Dantzler gets an LSU offer & flips that would open up a spot. I'm hoping that doesn't happen but have to prepare for the worse. Ron Walker gave himself an offer not the coaches. He doesn't have an offer as of today.

maroonmania
07-22-2015, 01:33 PM
It seems as though we might get a commitment from Greg Eiland here in the next few weeks. He's a big 6'6 330 OL from Philadelphia. If we add him, that leaves us with Nalls, Parker, Champion. While also waiting on Scott Lashley out of West Point. The wild card here I think is Gentle Williams out of Florence who could play either G/T. Have seen where he had a great BDC showing. This could be a pretty interesting situation to keep an eye on.

Keeping it with offense, I'm wondering what is going on at WR. We're on AJ Brown hard and seem to be turning up the heat on Daniel Cornwell. But after those two, I don't know who we're on. I keep hearing of Jerriko Morris, but I don't think he'll pull the trigger. I see we had a 4* WR visit as BDC, his name escapes me right now. Could this leave open a spot for John Michael Hankerson?

The next thing I wanna talk about is the DL class. With the recent decommitment of Caleb Tillman; that leaves Tre Brown as our only commmited DL. It seems to me, though, we are putting a lot of hope on the instate guys to stay home: Jeff Simmons, Damion Dickens, Kobe Jones, the Mason kid from down in McComb; The two wild cards are Emmitt Gooden but he looks like a TN lean and a hopeful flip of Rae Davis, a guy who could play either DL or OL.

At LB we have DeShon Cooper who some say may or may not be in the class and if he is, he will play with his hand on the ground. Erroll Thompson and Jeremiah Moon have us in their Top 5s. Thompson is 6'3 240 already so I could see him with his hand on the ground as well. Moon is more of a OLB type.

At DB it seems when we are almost done, we pick up another guy. They're saying Nero Nelson might play DB with the group we already have Durr, Morgan-Walker, Allen, Dantzler, Jones, Charles. You keep a spot open for Knott if he decides to stay in state. We then offered Ronald Walker after BDC, a former Ole Miss signee, who I think is gonna be this year's Tony Bridges. I really like this kid and hope we can find room in this class, but it seems we might be limited.

You look at the guys we have leaving after this year: Prescott, Morrow, Hutcherson, R. Warren, J. Malone, Ryan Brown, Zach Jackson, Kendrick Market, Calhoun, Redmond, Devon Bell. With some JRs who have the potential to leave: Chris Jones, De'Runny Wilson for sure and possibly Richie Brown, Beni Brown, and Fred Ross. Coupled in that Christy has already left along with Sillis and Flowers who may or may not be back. That is 15 scholarships right there not including the Brown bros and Fred Ross. It'll be interesting to see how this class shapes out come Feb.

Very, very low likelihood IMO that either Brown or Ross would leave early. Beni Brown would probably be the highest probability of the 3 but even that is very low unless he just dominates this year. Wilson is the most likely to go IMO just because he is such a big, physical receiver with great hands. That combination doesn't come along every day.

BankerDog
07-22-2015, 01:37 PM
That's why I included Wilson with Chris Jones as the two that we can be pretty confident in as this will be their last year here. I have heard from some people that Mullen expects Richie Brown to leave for the draft after this year as well; that's why included him.

BankerDog
07-22-2015, 01:39 PM
OL - Gentle is a C/G prospect not G/T he's only about 6'3". He did look really good at BDC.

WR - AJ is the top target of course. We're on Crowell not confident in flipping him right now. Marquis McClain from Fla is a take & we lead for him. Jeriko has work to do in the class room. Whenever we tell him to get in he will. I'm not huge on Hankerson but we'll see how that shakes out.

DL - We have Tre committed. Kobe will be a Dawg. Dickens & Mason are heavy leans. We continue to recruit Jeffery the way we have & he will be a Dawg in the end. That would be a great haul & if you can flip Raekwon that would be the icing on the cake even though I think he's a future All SEC RT. Also sign & place Marquiss Spencer.

LB - I don't see Cooper in this class. Erroll & Moon are the top 2 LB & both are deciding in the next month or so. I feel really good on Erroll & ok on Moon. Moon just doesn't talk recruiting to anybody so hard to get a read on him. After those 2 the next group is JaCorey Morris (South Carolina commit from AL), Drelan Porter from USP, & DeRyan Wansley from Newton Co. Wansley is the only 1 of the group without an offer.

DB - I think the only guy we would take is Knott. Now if Cam Dantzler gets an LSU offer & flips that would open up a spot. I'm hoping that doesn't happen but have to prepare for the worse. Ron Walker gave himself an offer not the coaches. He doesn't have an offer as of today.

Can always count on you for the inside information. What are the chances you think Dantzler gets that LSU offer?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-22-2015, 01:48 PM
Can always count on you for the inside information. What are the chances you think Dantzler gets that LSU offer?

There's a chance. Right now I would lean towards him not getting 1 but he's camping there Friday so we'll know more in the next week.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-22-2015, 02:14 PM
Drelan Porter from USP

DB - Now if Cam Dantzler gets an LSU offer & flips that would open up a spot.

Why is Porter not considered an om lock?

Damn, I hope Cam stays...who would get the spot if he were to flip?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-22-2015, 02:17 PM

1. BC he has good grades & can go where he pleases

2. Maybe back to Quincy Lento maybe Ronald Walker gets a committable offer may just move Nero & Korey Charles both to defense.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-22-2015, 02:18 PM

2. Maybe back to Quincy Lento maybe Ronald Walker gets a committable offer may just move Nero & Korey Charles both to defense.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-22-2015, 02:28 PM

Interesting, thanks!

sandwolf
07-22-2015, 04:46 PM
I have heard from some people that Mullen expects Richie Brown to leave for the draft after this year as well; that's why included him.

This is definitely the first I have heard of this....he doesn't seem like a candidate to leave early for the draft.

MSUDawg99
07-22-2015, 04:53 PM
This is definitely the first I have heard of this....he doesn't seem like a candidate to leave early for the draft.

I can see him wanting this only because now that he is married, he'll want to/feel the need to provide for his family & future, thus will work his butt off this season to make things happen on the field to set himself up for possible draft.

MSUDawg99
07-22-2015, 04:55 PM
Just like Preston Smith had his daughter in mind every time he took that field last year as motivation to play to his full potential

Johnson85
07-22-2015, 04:56 PM
I can see him wanting this only because now that he is married, he'll want to/feel the need to provide for his family & future, thus will work his butt off this season to make things happen on the field to set himself up for possible draft.

He's married? He have a kid?

MSUDawg99
07-22-2015, 05:01 PM
He's married? He have a kid?

No kid. He & longtime girlfriend Erin Nesbit (also MSU student) got married earlier this summer/spring. They're both good strong Christian couple. But I'm sure kids are in the future sooner rather than later if I had to guess. Who knows though.

Big4Dawg
07-22-2015, 05:28 PM
I think she was a softball player as well.

Dawgcentral
07-22-2015, 06:26 PM
No kid. He & longtime girlfriend Erin Nesbit (also MSU student) got married earlier this summer/spring. They're both good strong Christian couple. But I'm sure kids are in the future sooner rather than later if I had to guess. Who knows though.

I know he's a promising LB, and has shown the potential to be All SEC, but is he looking at an NFL career? I also wonder if he's on track to graduate this year, since it's year 4 with his redshirting. Could be he could use that 5th year to work toward his masters. Doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to roll all the dice on an NFL job.

Todd4State
07-22-2015, 09:45 PM

So, Freeze had no reason to fear for his soul?

MSUDawg99
07-23-2015, 08:44 AM
So, Freeze had no reason to fear for his soul?

True story. Nor is he a show-boaty kind of person from what I can gather. His beard does however have it's own Twitter handle but how can you blame it? Although I'm still curious as to who runs that handle.

MzTerry
07-23-2015, 01:49 PM
I know he's a promising LB, and has shown the potential to be All SEC, but is he looking at an NFL career? I also wonder if he's on track to graduate this year, since it's year 4 with his redshirting. Could be he could use that 5th year to work toward his masters. Doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to roll all the dice on an NFL job.

I know I'm replying to you, but I'm not singling you out. Why does everyone seem to be so quick to think Richie doesn't have an NFL future? He's bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter than Cam Lawrence. He's 6'2 240 running a high 4.6 (if he goes to the combine, he will run a high 4.6). It's like everyone also assumed Beni is better in coverage. We are only discounting an NFL career because he's white. He had a great sophomore year, and I expect even more out of him this year. He has the measurables, the mind, and he will have the stats. What's the problem?

I'm not saying he should go early, but it seems to me he is a shoo-in to have at least some time in the NFL if his career arc continues at the same pace it has thus far. Am I missing something?

Johnson85
07-23-2015, 01:59 PM
I know I'm replying to you, but I'm not singling you out. Why does everyone seem to be so quick to think Richie doesn't have an NFL future? He's bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter than Cam Lawrence. He's 6'2 240 running a high 4.6 (if he goes to the combine, he will run a high 4.6). It's like everyone also assumed Beni is better in coverage. We are only discounting an NFL career because he's white. He had a great sophomore year, and I expect even more out of him this year. He has the measurables, the mind, and he will have the stats. What's the problem?

I'm not saying he should go early, but it seems to me he is a shoo-in to have at least some time in the NFL if his career arc continues at the same pace it has thus far. Am I missing something?

People are just discounting the NFL because Richie is a gym rat and a savvy player with a high football IQ who plays the game the right way and does a great job overcoming his physical limitations, including simply not having the speed and quickness to handle SEC WR and RBs in coverage. Why are you making things so damn complicated.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-23-2015, 02:05 PM
People are just discounting the NFL because Richie is a gym rat and a savvy player with a high football IQ who plays the game the right way and does a great job overcoming his physical limitations, including simply not having the speed and quickness to handle SEC WR and RBs in coverage. Why are you making things so damn complicated.

I think this is where the confusion comes in. You mentioned his limitations in speed & quickness but he's faster & quicker than Beni who everyone assumes will be drafted & some think could leave after this year.

smootness
07-23-2015, 02:19 PM

Coach's son. Heady player. Sneaky speed. Brings his lunch pail every day. Doesn't jump out at you on film, but always in the right place and does his job. Great in the clubhouse. Warrior. Fighter.

Covercorner2
07-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Why do people think Richie isn't fast? He's plenty fast. There's a reason he was a 4 star in HS....

mic
07-23-2015, 02:29 PM
the least of our worries is LB this year and the next few years.
I hope Richie has the kind of year that puts him in the NFL draft next year...
And for everyone outside of MSU that thinks we can't replace Bamc ... That won't be mentioned once the season starts and we are into a few games..

Buddy
07-23-2015, 02:30 PM
According to the Iron Dawg numbers posted this week, Richie has a 35" vertical (which is 7th on the team), was 1st on the team in "Pro Shuttle" (whatever that is), 4th in the 3 cone and 6th in the 60-yd shuttle. I think it's "assumed" by alot of people that he's not athletic based on his skin color.

Johnson85
07-23-2015, 02:59 PM
I think this is where the confusion comes in. You mentioned his limitations in speed & quickness but he's faster & quicker than Beni who everyone assumes will be drafted & some think could leave after this year.

That was a reference to a TV show that made fun of the way racial stereotypes impact how sports broadcasters describe different athletes.

White players are described in ways that subtly or not so subtly imply they are relying on smarts and/or hard work to overcome physical limitations. Where as non-white athletes are just described as being the freak athletes they are, which is usually the correct reason somebody is a major college or pro athlete, regardless of race.

ETA: People saw RBrown on the field a lot instead of BMac on important passing downs and assume that it was some screwed up 1A & 1B situation, whereas if he wasn't white, they probably would have realized that he is just good in coverage, a relative weakness for BMac.

But people see Beni out there QB'ing the defense, but they just see his intelligence as a plus to his athleticism, rather than probably a big factor in why he was a starter along with being good enough athletically.

smootness
07-23-2015, 03:24 PM
According to the Iron Dawg numbers posted this week, Richie has a 35" vertical (which is 7th on the team), was 1st on the team in "Pro Shuttle" (whatever that is), 4th in the 3 cone and 6th in the 60-yd shuttle. I think it's "assumed" by alot of people that he's not athletic based on his skin color.

That was my and Johnson85's point.

Richie Brown is tough, a good leader, gritty, 'lunch pail' guy, etc.

McKinney is fast, athletic, explosive, etc.

MSUDawg99
07-23-2015, 03:24 PM

The pro shuttle/short shuttle is where the cones are set up at the 5 - 10 - 5 & it tests their lateral quickness/agility back & forth, not necessarily their long speed like the 40. Who knew that volunteering at some HS combines this summer would pay off.

Tbonewannabe
07-23-2015, 03:40 PM

I think most guys who leave are more a physical freak. Richie has speed but he doesn't have the size McKinney does. He is closer to Chris White than KJ Wright. I think he will get drafted but if he went this year it probably wouldn't be very high if at all.

I also don't think Benni should go this year. Most of the time you don't see guys leave early unless they have crazy combine numbers or like McKinney are big, long armed, and fast. You see all the time especially with LSU, guys leaving early and not even getting drafted.

5 Star
07-23-2015, 04:58 PM
I know what to expect with Mullen nowadays, so the only thing that gets me excited in recruiting is if we sign a very heralded player, just for shits and giggles.

When I look at our list, I want to see a decent quarterback that can run our system, offensive linemen, 4-8 JUCOs, and the letters AL and LA pop up repeatedly after hometowns. That's really it. Obviously a core of MS players.

MSUDawg99
07-23-2015, 05:50 PM
I know what to expect with Mullen nowadays, so the only thing that gets me excited in recruiting is if we sign a very heralded player, just for shits and giggles.

When I look at our list, I want to see a decent quarterback that can run our system, offensive linemen, 4-8 JUCOs, and the letters AL and LA pop up repeatedly after hometowns. That's really it. Obviously a core of MS players.

DOubtful there will be a QB in this class.

Dawgcentral
07-23-2015, 06:55 PM
It just appears to me that Richie has options. He's married, and my thinking is that he might want to make some progress toward a masters degree instead of declaring early, much like Dak has. Didn't really have anything do to with race. Y'all must know that NFL careers are relatively short. Why not have the best of both worlds?

Coach34
07-23-2015, 07:12 PM
It just appears to me that Richie has options. He's married, and my thinking is that he might want to make some progress toward a masters degree instead of declaring early, much like Dak has. Didn't really have anything do to with race. Y'all must know that NFL careers are relatively short. Why not have the best of both worlds?

Comes down to round drafted...if he can get a decent draft grade- alot of times its better to save the year of wear and tear on your body and go pro. Remember- he RS'ed- so this is year 4 for him

Coach34
07-23-2015, 07:16 PM

Bennie's height is somewhat questionable. His leadership, work ethic, and football IQ are off the charts. But there is concern over his size

the59dawg
07-24-2015, 08:34 AM

3 INT's in A&M game.

messageboardsuperhero
07-24-2015, 09:12 AM

Da ****?

Richie is one of our fastest linebackers and is very good in coverage. If that "speed leaderboard" thing that was posted a few days ago is any indication, Richie's cone drill and shuttle times indicate that he is one of the quickest guys on the team.

Tbonewannabe
07-24-2015, 09:58 AM
Da ****?

Richie is one of our fastest linebackers and is very good in coverage. If that "speed leaderboard" thing that was posted a few days ago is any indication, Richie's cone drill and shuttle times indicate that he is one of the quickest guys on the team.

The only thing is you don't see many LBs going early unless they are 6'5" with close to his speed. Unless you blow up and have a 15 sack type season most of the LB going early are physical freaks or seniors.

AlSwearengen
07-24-2015, 10:11 AM
If you have focused on R.B. any, when he diagnoses a play, especially a toss sweep or screen, he closes on the ball carrier like he has been shot out of the end of a barrel. He has quickness. His size is not ideal.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-24-2015, 10:26 AM
If you have focused on R.B. any, when he diagnoses a play, especially a toss sweep or screen, he closes on the ball carrier like he has been shot out of the end of a barrel. He has quickness. His size is not ideal.

Richie is up to around 240lbs.

scottycameron
07-24-2015, 10:36 AM
The only thing is you don't see many LBs going early unless they are 6'5" with close to his speed. Unless you blow up and have a 15 sack type season most of the LB going early are physical freaks or seniors.

yep, the only linebackers early you see are 3-4 defense guys who are pass rushers, and like you said have size (tall). If you project as an NFL edge rusher you can go early, the shorter guys will wait. There are just so many of them. Plus he's white, that doesn't exactly help.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-24-2015, 11:36 AM
Funny how stereotypes are accepted for...oh never mind, it's not worth it. Richie had 209 total tackles his senior year in HS, with 147 being solo. That averages out to 17.4 tackles per game. Not only that, but he looked pretty damn athletic on that goal line stand against LSU last year. He runs around a 4.5 40 at 245 lbs, that 's athletic in my book.

scottycameron
07-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Funny how stereotypes are accepted for...oh never mind, it's not worth it. Richie had 209 total tackles his senior year in HS, with 147 being solo. That averages out to 17.4 tackles per game. Not only that, but he looked pretty damn athletic on that goal line stand against LSU last year. He runs around a 4.5 40 at 245 lbs, that 's athletic in my book.

Hey, you'll get no argument from me on that. Those numbers are pretty incredible, especially for a white guy. (sorry had to throw that out there)

He's going to be a good pro, there's no doubt. He has all the tools. His draft stock just isn't ever going to be anywhere near what it should be, that's all. That's just what happens when you look different than what people expect. NFL scouts are no different than anybody else. I take that back...there probably worse.

smootness
07-24-2015, 12:12 PM

It was a joke. Sarcasm.

And the fact that it was so readily accepted as someone's honest evaluation shows just how often those stereotypes are used.