Secondary- State 9th, OM 5th, Auburn 10th, UPig 13th
LB's- State 7th, OM 3rd, Auburn 13th, UPig 12th
D-Line- State 10th, OM 5th, UPig 3rd, Auburn 13th

O-Line- State 8th, OM 9th, Auburn 11th, UPig 12th
WR's- State 12, OM 4th, Auburn 8th, UPig 9th
RB's- State 5th, OM 10th, Auburn 6th, UPig 13th
QB's- State 7th, OM 5th, Auburn 12th, UPig 14th

Based on these 4 teams rankings by ESPN:

Defense: (lower the point total- the better)

OM 20 points
State- 26 points
Auburn 36 points
UPig- 47 points

Offense:

OM- 28 points
State- 32 points
Auburn- 37 points
UPig- 48 points

Combined:

OM- 48 points
State 58 points
Auburn- 73 points
UPig- 95 points

State is clearly rated higher than Auburn- but guess who ESPN has in a bowl- and who they don't?

601Dawg
07-11-2013, 04:39 PM
How do we compare to Kentucky and A&M I'm sure Bama, LSU, UGA are top 3

Coach34
07-11-2013, 08:43 PM
I just looked at those...we are much higher than Kentucky of course

A&M has to work the new guys into the OL and get their new guys on the DL going...They will be tough on offense, but could have some problems on D

messageboardsuperhero
07-11-2013, 09:12 PM
I think they're underrating our defense. We have better talent than the teams in the bottom half of the conference that we're ranked around.

Then again, with the way that unit performed in the last six games, I can't really blame them for putting us where they did. I just think having Chris Wilson gone is going to noticeably help our scheme, particularly against spread offenses... I hope so at least, because we couldn't stop a spread to save our life last year.

MSUDawg4Life
07-11-2013, 09:24 PM
I think they're underrating our defense. We have better talent than the teams in the bottom half of the conference that we're ranked around.

Then again, with the way that unit performed in the last six games, I can't really blame them for putting us where they did. I just think having Chris Wilson gone is going to noticeably help our scheme, particularly against spread offenses... I hope so at least, because we couldn't stop a spread to save our life last year.

I think you're right. They are probably underrating our defense, but until our defense proves they can play at a high level the best any of us can do is guess. The talent and potential is there, but until they do something it means nothing.

BHildreth3
07-11-2013, 09:26 PM
I don't see how there could be that much difference between our DB and LB ratings vs Ole Miss

messageboardsuperhero
07-11-2013, 09:48 PM
I don't see how there could be that much difference between our DB and LB ratings vs Ole Miss

ESPN is drinking the Freeze kool aid. I don't see how they rate UM's DB's 5 and their linebackers 3. They have a few good players in each position, but to say that they are four spots better than us at each spot is just absurd.

DB wise, Sawyer, Elston, and Prewitt are solid players. Golson has shown some flashes, but he should have stuck with baseball. Cheif Brown is okay... That's about it.

As for LBs, Nkemdiche and Bryant are good. Marry is solid. You really have no clue what Shakelford can do. I don't think he's played a snap in two years, and that's very unfortunate because he was a really good linebacker and a lot of fun to watch. Other than that, they don't have much. To say they are the third best LB corp in the SEC is just plain wrong. Hell, I don't even think they're as good as us. I know I wouldn't trade our LB corp for theirs.

That's all fine and good. Let them be overrated and us be underrated. I like being in that position.

Coach34
07-11-2013, 09:57 PM
I think our D will be like 2010- we knew it would be better going into the season than it was in 2009- but they have to step out and prove it.

I have full faith they will. Coach Turner definitely upgraded getting his ass out of Kentucky to get to coach that group he has this year

messageboardsuperhero
07-11-2013, 11:45 PM
I think our D will be like 2010- we knew it would be better going into the season than it was in 2009- but they have to step out and prove it.

I have full faith they will. Coach Turner definitely upgraded getting his ass out of Kentucky to get to coach that group he has this year

If Collins can gameplan like Diaz did in 2010, I think we can see similar results. The talent is there on paper, but they need to get their edge back too.

One thing is apparent to me though: Wilson was never a good DC. Fletcher masked a lot of the issues in his gameplaning in '11. Hopefully his leaving helps us as much as I think it will.