PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun's thoughts on SEC coaches

ShotgunDawg
07-20-2015, 11:18 AM
Coming off SEC media days, seeing SEC coaches go through the ESPN car wash, & seeing the SEC coach's BINGO created Texas Ags, got me thinking about what my gut feeling is about the SEC coaches. Many times, we just look at their resume, wins and losses, and decide if they are good or not, but, in this post, I'd like actually examine my "gut feel" & intuition about each coach, and give you my thoughts on predicting how things will go for them in the future, based on their personality. Look at this as if I were interviewing them for a job, but didn't read their resume beforehand.

This is not a ranking, so I'll go in Alphabetical order:

Bret Bielema - I really like Bret & look at him as an ultra consistent coach that understands his weaknesses & his identity. He looks to be the type that would be a blast to play for. He seems to be a good guy & the type that will stay at Arkansas for a long time. I see him having success on the Houston Nutt level there, but I'm not sure if he'll ever have the quality of players on defense to have an elite defense or the dynamic, play making ability on offense to ever be a high scoring team. That leaves Arkansas with an extremely small margin error in most games, meaning that they will win & lose a ton of close games over the next 5 years, which will likely make them a perennial 8-9 win program. Good but not great

Hugh Freeze - I think Hugh comes off great in front of the camera & can sell, sell, sell, & motivate but I'm not sure I see a ton of substance in his coaching or Xs and Os ability. There also always seems to be something going on in the shadows that makes you wonder if Hugh truly is the person that he seems to be on camera. There is also a general uneasiness about Hugh & desire to be liked that causes him to handle controversy like an amateur. Personally, sometimes I wonder if Hugh is a good guy that is simply being told what to do by boosters. Not sure he completely runs that program.

Butch Jones - This one is one of the most perplexing to me. Personally, I'm not a fan. I think he has door nail personality, very little charisma, & comes across as a robot. My guess is that he'll lack the ability to make adjustments to win big games, as I see him as an extremely limited intellectual, that works hard, has mental toughness, but lacks the personality or versatility to reach the top. Seems like a typical high school meat head coach to me. Tennessee's network will give him Top 10 recruiting classes, but I don't see Tennessee becoming anymore than an 8-9 win program under him.

Derrick Mason - Sucks & has no business being an SEC football coach. Terrible hire that comes across as being completely in over his head.

Gus Malzahn - Outstanding.... is smart, can motivate, & can make in-game & program adjustments on a dime. He'll have Auburn competing for a long time. He just has to make sure he hires good assistants on the defensive side of the ball, because I'm not sure he knows the difference between a 3/4 & a 4/3.

Jim McElwain - The coach next door. This is the weekend golfer that thought he could be an SEC football coach & someone actually gave him that chance. He's laid back & smart, but I'm not sure he a great motivator. McElwain is the complete opposite of Butch Jones, but I'd rather have McElwain over Jones because I'd rather have smart than motivator. That being said, I see McElwain making Florida better & having the potential to win big games, but I also see them losing games to lesser opponents & not recruiting at a high enough level to consistently be better than Georgia. McElwain will turn Florida into an 9 win program with a few 10 win years mixed in.

Les Miles - Unbelievable personality & charisma that seems to be in denial about the current status of things in his conference & his own program. I think Les is an excellent coach, but lacks the versatility & in-game instincts to take LSU to the next level. The problem LSU has is that he recruits at a great level, & very few coaches have the full package that LSU needs. Who do you replace him with?

Dan Mullen - Socially awkward, energetic guy that sees the big picture &, along with Malzahn, is probably the smartest coach in the SEC. Mullen is a good motivator & excellent talent evaluator, who seems to enjoy proving people wrong & has different motivations that most other coaches. Mullen's biggest weakness is in-game adjustments. Mullen & Malzahn are very similar, but Mullen has a greater feel for the defensive side of the ball & Malzahn can make in-game adjustments slightly better. Mullen evaluates talent better than Malzahn, but Malzahn has the privilege of recruiting to a school that has traditionally attracted better plays.

Gary Pinkel - Clone of Nick Saban that coaches at a school that simply can't recruit like Bama. Full package

Mark Richt - What you see is what you get. Straight line, good man that for whatever reason can't quite get his team to play winning football for 11 out of the 12 weeks.

Nick Saban - The full package that has the privilege of recruiting at the best school to recruit to in the country. Saban has winning down to a formula in which there is room for error. He could put the game on simulation mode & win 95% of the time. Saban's biggest problem is that he has reached the level of diminishing returns. Simply, Bama can't get any better, while the other teams around him are getting better. So long as Saban is at Bama, their program will play at the level they currently do, but the question is how much better everyone else will be. In past years, Bama had 2 or 3 games on their schedule that they could conceivably lose, but over the past few years, that list has grown to 4 or 5 games that Bama can lose, due to the quality of the competition.

Steve Spurrier - Charisma & intelligence to spare, but doesn't appear to have the motivation that makes the adjustments needed to compete at the highest level. His teams will always compete though beacause he is probably the most instinctual, offensive play caller I've seen in my lifetime.

Mark Stoops - Just not enough. He's in a tough place to recruit to & win. I see him as a good motivator with solid football acumen & some charisma, but just doesn't have enough of any one component to turn Kentucky into a winner. Jack of all trades, master of none

Kevin Sumlin - Looks fun to play for & is creative, but I'm not sure he's players respect him enough to play with the discipline necessary to win a the highest level. Not sure he has the style of play to consistently in this conference, &, much like Georgia, not sure he has the fan base that will demand the mental toughness to win at the highest level. 8-9 win program that will consistently get bullied by more mentally tough, intense teams. Problem is, who do you replace him with?

War Machine Dawg
07-20-2015, 11:57 AM
I'm going to disagree with you on Jones & McElwain. I'd take Jones. Coaching in football, especially the head coach, is as much or more about motivating than it is about intelligence and Xs & Os. Give me the guy who can motivate as HC and I can put a staff of Xs & Os guys around him. It's a whole lot harder the other way, trying to find assistants who are motivators when the HC is the Xs & Os type. If you can't motivate as a HC, you won't last very long.

ShotgunDawg
07-20-2015, 12:14 PM
I'm going to disagree with you on Jones & McElwain. I'd take Jones. Coaching in football, especially the head coach, is as much or more about motivating than it is about intelligence and Xs & Os. Give me the guy who can motivate as HC and I can put a staff of Xs & Os guys around him. It's a whole lot harder the other way, trying to find assistants who are motivators when the HC is the Xs & Os type. If you can't motivate as a HC, you won't last very long.

I respectively disagree.

Football players simply can't play "motivated" for 12 straight weeks, while they can always play smart. To me, coaches that are primarily motivators, have inconsistent teams that win some big games, but also lose games they should win.
"
Is Bill Belichik a great motivator?

I'm not sure there is a great answer here, and many times it isn't a "one size fits all" meaning that much of it depends on the dynamic & talent of the team itself. But I would rather have an extremely smart, Xs & Os coach over a great motivator. I think it lends to more consistent & a high level of play. Plus it's sustainable

Johnson85
07-20-2015, 12:28 PM
I would disagree with you that Mullen is socially awkward. He's seemed at ease when I've been around him. He's just a yankee and a little too direct for some people in the South. He's also aware of how smart he is, and that can rub people the wrong way.

ShotgunDawg
07-20-2015, 12:30 PM
I would disagree with you that Mullen is socially awkward. He's seemed at ease when I've been around him. He's just a yankee and a little too direct for some people in the South. He's also aware of how smart he is, and that can rub people the wrong way.

He's made progress for sure, but still a little awkward at times. Let's be honest. I think it may have effected him early on in recruiting, but I don't think it matters anymore because he's proven himself.

RDawg90
07-20-2015, 12:58 PM
I'm very very high on Butch Jones? I think Tennessee will be right in the East mix this year, and will almost certainly get to Atlanta within the next 2-3 years. He's recruited at an ELITE level considering where that program was under Dooley/Kiffin without having the prospect depth of a Texas, California, Florida, Georgia, etc.

I certainly disagree with your assessment of Les Miles? I think he's a fairly below average X's and O's coach and a horrific evaluator of QB's. If he didn't run uncontested for 70-80% of the recruits he wants in Louisiana, he would've been dead and buried a long long time ago.

FISHDAWG
07-20-2015, 12:59 PM
you forgot to mention that Mullen invented football*

Dawgcentral
07-20-2015, 06:45 PM
I think Jones is going to win the SEC East in the next two years.

Bielema is a Yankee also. If Mullen gained a big belly, wore flip flops and ripped shirts, he'd be considered a redneck by now. (really tired of these Yankee references to Mullen). Thank God we got away from hiring former Bama alumni and hoping for Bear Bryant success.

Richt is about as steady as can be. GA fans should be grateful.

Vandy had the chance to build a program. When they lost the last coach to PSU, I told a guy I know from Nashville it was over. He told me "you don't understand because you're not a local". LOL.

Les Miles has won everywhere he's been. Yeah, it's confusing.

Saban is Saban. Things are only dropping off over there because of attrition of the guys heading to the NFL who don't go all out at the end of the season. It's a plague.

Malzhan is a great offensive mind. Makes me wonder who he's got up there in the booth. They gotta be in sync.

Florida has no excuse not to win the East with all that talent. Maybe it's the AD?

A&M has done pretty well with no D. Remains to be seen what they can change over there.

Missouri had had their moment in time. Congrats. But the East will return.

BulldogBear
07-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Sumlin will stand or fall based one thing: Defense.

If they don't learn how to put an SEC defense on the field, TAMU will NOT, I repeat, will NOT compete for an SEC championship again... EVER. Unless they find another JFF. And that only comes along once in a generation. That's the problem over there- they keep trying to find another JFF and outscore everybody instead of getting with the program and accepting that you've got to find some defense. Texas HS football talent is overrated though, and that is hurting them.

Dallas_Dawg
07-20-2015, 10:42 PM
I know a guy from south ms who is neither Dawg nor Rebel the other day but married a Dawg.
He's a good, honest guy and thinks that Mullen talks a lot of shit and is a smartass. He also thinks Hugh is a great, Christian guy who does everything the right way and likes Hugh better than Dan.
Now, he doesn't follow recruiting but neither does most people. Perception is the reality, and that is just a sad fact. He also said that this is why no one has hired him away, because nobody likes him. Thst suits me just fine.
#ThisIsOURAsshole.

ShotgunDawg
07-20-2015, 10:50 PM
I know a guy from south ms who is neither Dawg nor Rebel the other day but married a Dawg.
He's a good, honest guy and thinks that Mullen talks a lot of shit and is a smartass. He also thinks Hugh is a great, Christian guy who does everything the right way and likes Hugh better than Dan.
Now, he doesn't follow recruiting but neither does most people. Perception is the reality, and that is just a sad fact. He also said that this is why no one has hired him away, because nobody likes him. Thst suits me just fine.
#ThisIsOURAsshole.

YES

Disagreeableness is Mullen's greatest attribute & why he's has been & will continue to be so successful. Mullen is not all that likable of a person until you get to know him & realize he's incredibly compassionate & really cares about his players.

The biggest thing that always makes me smile about Mullen is how many of his ex players at MSU hang around the program. Dixon, Banks, Slay, KJ Wright, Gabe Jackson, etc are always helping at camps, working out at the facility, & doing whatever they can to assist the program. So while Mullen may not be the easiest guy for an 18 year old kid to get along with, the respect that his ex-payers show our program, tells me all I need to know about what they think about Dan Mullen.

The Beauty of Mullen's disagreeableness combined with the success of our program, is that it only attracts players who's top priorities are becoming the best football player they can possibly be. By virtue of his personality, MSU's program naturally attracts blue collar grinders & deters premodonnas or players who desire the spotlight & hype. It will effect our recruiting ranking, but it's this beautiful relationship that will ensure that we will always be good under his watch.

In the words of Malcolm Gladwell

1. Provocateurs are disagreeable.

According to psychologists, successful entrepreneurs have 3 common personality traits. It’s the improbability of finding this combination of traits in one person that makes provocateurs like the four mentioned above so rare. They are both creative and conscientious. But the most important and the rarest, according to Malcolm, is that they are also disagreeable. This doesn’t mean that they’re obnoxious, but rather that they “don’t require the approval of their peers to do what they think is correct.” This is an incredibly difficult trait to possess, since most of us care deeply about others’ perceptions of us, no matter how much we might try to hide it. In an entrepreneurial context, disagreeableness also requires courage. People were sure Ingvar Kamprad had signed his death sentence when he moved his production facilities offshore to communist Poland in 1961 at the height of the Cold War. It would be like going to North Korea today, said Malcolm. But he took a risk, and it came with great rewards."

http://superheroyou.com/3-traits-to-change-world-malcolm-gladwell/

RDawg90
07-20-2015, 11:19 PM
Sumlin will stand or fall based one thing: Defense.

If they don't learn how to put an SEC defense on the field, TAMU will NOT, I repeat, will NOT compete for an SEC championship again... EVER. Unless they find another JFF. And that only comes along once in a generation. That's the problem over there- they keep trying to find another JFF and outscore everybody instead of getting with the program and accepting that you've got to find some defense. Texas HS football talent is overrated though, and that is hurting them.

Sumlin won't ever have a great defense… At best, they can be serviceable. That's the negative of having an up tempo, high scoring offense. When you go quickly, that just means your defense will be out there that much longer, which usually leads to giving up a lot of points and yards. With or without a Manziel-esque guy, I can't ever see them being consistent contenders for the West. Hell, even with Manziel, they finished a couple of games off the pace each year.

Beaver
07-20-2015, 11:31 PM
That's the negative of having an up tempo, high scoring offense. When you go quickly, that just means your defense will be out there that much longer, which usually leads to giving up a lot of points and yards.

If my offensive is "high scoring", I couldn't care less about the tempo..

RDawg90
07-20-2015, 11:40 PM
If my offensive is "high scoring", I couldn't care less about the tempo..

You will if you can't stop a damn soul. TCU's high scoring offense put up 58 last year at Baylor…. Only to give up 61 to lose and keep them out of the playoff. And as the saying goes, "Defense travels." We had an outstanding offense last year, but averaged only 18.5 ppg in our road losses. Look at A&M Manziel's R-Freshman year, they averaged 18 points per game in HOME losses to LSU & Florida.

Beaver
07-21-2015, 12:05 AM
You will if you can't stop a damn soul.

Right. I'm saying the positives of the Up-tempo offense outweigh the negatives.. See Ohio State 2014.