PDA

View Full Version : Robertson admits star rankings are dependant on the school you commit to.

Leroy Jenkins
07-18-2015, 04:53 PM
He said last year guys in the recruiting services had to answer questions about how BMac and Preston were 2-star NFL draft picks. Subsequently, in the 2015 class MSU does not sign a single 2* for the first time ever. Basically the 'crutin' services realize the staff's ability to evaluate and bump the players up.

Todd4State
07-18-2015, 06:48 PM
It's a business. There are people on this board that would do as well or better than the "evaluations" of some of the recruiting services.

The "stars" are for fans that are ignorant. Which is why Ole Miss fans like them.

But Rosebowl is right in that at some point they are expected to be "right" a certain amount of time- which is why they rate players that the big schools want higher- because they know the probability of being right is higher. And as Dan continues to identify and develop talent at a high level, I expect our ratings to go up.

Next year they are going to have to answer why Dak was a three star and why Bear was a two or three star.

The best thing the recruiting web sites do is put profiles of the prospects up. From there, you can be the judge based on video or going out on a Friday night and watching the player play as to how good they are.

TheRef
07-18-2015, 06:50 PM
Bear will be an exception because he only started playing Football his senior year of High school. Before then, he was a basketball player solely.

Todd4State
07-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Bear's film was incredible though. He was such a good blocker, I thought he might end up being a TE. I honestly thought he would have a chance to start for us on day one, and he almost did. His career arc has not been surprising at all to me.

He would have been an Army, Under Armour, Semper Fi All-American type guy had he played four years in high school.

But for the recruiting services to call Bear a two or three star simply because he hadn't played three years of high school football and completely dismissing his actual performance just underscores one of the many issues that recruiting web sites have.

gravedigger
07-18-2015, 07:14 PM
He said last year guys in the recruiting services had to answer questions about how BMac and Preston were 2-star NFL draft picks. Subsequently, in the 2015 class MSU does not sign a single 2* for the first time ever. Basically the 'crutin' services realize the staff's ability to evaluate and bump the players up.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong

I have it on good authority that due to the fact that bama, fsu, Ohio state all being in the top 5 and landing numerous 5 stars, every year, that the obvious conclusion is that stars, and therefore rankings are accurate.

Of course, its hard to argue against that when you consider the professional rating experience the people who assign the stars have.

Sincerely,
Y.P.

TUSK
07-18-2015, 08:01 PM
Wrong wrong wrong wrong

I have it on good authority that due to the fact that bama, fsu, Ohio state all being in the top 5 and landing numerous 5 stars, every year, that the obvious conclusion is that stars, and therefore rankings are accurate.

Of course, its hard to argue against that when you consider the professional rating experience the people who assign the stars have.

Sincerely,
Y.P.

finally, somebody that gets it.*

Jack Lambert
07-18-2015, 08:24 PM
Wrong wrong wrong wrong

Sincerely,
Y.P.

How many 5 stars did ND, Florida, LSU and USC have last year on their team?

gravedigger
07-18-2015, 09:25 PM
How many 5 stars did ND, Florida, LSU and USC have last year on their team?

THOSE dont count until years layer when those teams win a nc again.

Confusing you say?

Not at all. Just look at the last two years top teams. Compare that to the recruiting rankings. Last step, subtract any team named tennessee, msu, oregon, texas, florida, lsu, southern cal, michigan, louisville, tcu, baylor, missouri, and count n miss's national championships discounting what year they wee said to have happened.

Whala.

EAVdog
07-18-2015, 10:03 PM
The services allow the coaches to rank the kids by basically counting the number of offers and by which school. If Saban is high on a kid then would you want to disagree? The recruits that Mullen and Co. Are bringing in are beginning to get the benefit of the doubt. Hence we will probably never sign another 2* ever again.

The National scouts are also regular fixtures at our camps now too. A few years ago I remember one of the head guys who ranks players mentioning how different it was in Starkvilee since the 13 years prior last time he was there. I believe it was the head guy for Rivals at the time. They basically weren't rating guys from small town schools in Mississippi. That's all changed now.

gravedigger
07-18-2015, 10:14 PM
The services allow the coaches to rank the kids by basically counting the number of offers and by which school. If Saban is high on a kid then would you want to disagree? The recruits that Mullen and Co. Are bringing in are beginning to get the benefit of the doubt. Hence we will probably never sign another 2* ever again.

The National scouts are also regular fixtures at our camps now too. A few years ago I remember one of the head guys who ranks players mentioning how different it was in Starkvilee since the 13 years prior last time he was there. I believe it was the head guy for Rivals at the time. They basically weren't rating guys from small town schools in Mississippi. That's all changed now.

My attempts at sarcasm aside, you are exactly right. More up close ratings have made them better. True 2 stars dont normally wind up at power 5 conference teams if talent is the litmus test. Grades and attitude can make a 5 star worthless though.

Big dog camp is a marketing ploy for us, but ifi had to guess its also a shot for our coaches to confirm/deny first hand the evaluations of outsiders.

KB21
07-18-2015, 10:18 PM
What's funny to me about this is that this is the subject I had a "falling out" with Gene over. When I called Scott Kennedy out on this issue several years ago, I got a phone call from Gene about it. I told Gene that he sold his website out by associating with the guys at scout.com. Since that time, Gene was always on me, and I got banned over the Ron Polk issue later on.

Todd4State
07-18-2015, 10:35 PM
What's funny to me about this is that this is the subject I had a "falling out" with Gene over. When I called Scott Kennedy out on this issue several years ago, I got a phone call from Gene about it. I told Gene that he sold his website out by associating with the guys at scout.com. Since that time, Gene was always on me, and I got banned over the Ron Polk issue later on.

That's ridiculous.

SheltonChoked
07-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Yep. Signing a top 5 class loaded with 5* prospects is a sure sign the websites know what they are doing.

Signed

Mack Brown

gravedigger
07-19-2015, 12:43 AM
At the risk of killing my credibility, as if i have any, gene sells a different product. He sells David and rosebowl. The message boards are a sideshow.

Do not fall into the sixpack trap of thinking gene is selling opinion discourse. Hell the pack only sells opinion as long as you dont offend hd6.

Coach establishes this board to talk sports and we do a good job. The second we dont and i will leave.

I know some have hated gene for this reason or another but he's a good fella.

Read his board for the msu slant and read this one for the discourse.

Best of both worlds.

TrapGame
07-19-2015, 10:15 AM

I fell out with Gene two years ago when I posted a discussion I had with a starting O Lineman on the premium board. Gene emailed me and said you can't post that he might get in trouble. I replied back -For what? it's on YOUR premium board that a lot people PAY you for to read stuff like this. I thought that's why that dick was tapping my credit card for every month - INSIDE INFO.

I used to love the heated discussions on the recruiting board when coaches that were members would disagree with film evaluation vs the number of stars a recruit had and call out Rosebowl.

5 Star
07-19-2015, 11:15 AM
Gene gave you a ton of latitude over the Ron Polk issue. Let's not just make stuff up out of spite. Posters were calling for you to be banned for a LONG time before you actually were banned. Actually, I don't really even remember you being banned.

I don't care either way for Gene or Rosebowl, by the way. I don't go to Scout anymore.

tcdog70
07-19-2015, 11:33 AM
Gene gave you a ton of latitude over the Ron Polk issue. Let's not just make stuff up out of spite. Posters were calling for you to be banned for a LONG time before you actually were banned. Actually, I don't really even remember you being banned.

I don't care either way for Gene or Rosebowl, by the way. I don't go to Scout anymore.

5-Star, you are correct. KB was a Dick. How He made it as long as he did is amazing.

Dog316
07-19-2015, 02:27 PM
Another small point. Most of the players receive their five star ratings before they commit. Well, maybe that's not such a small point after all. One thing stars can not do is indicate character. High character players can often develop beyond their original star rating because they are willing to work, are team players, and are coachable. All in all, the best thing is high character five star players! I'll take them all day and let everyone else take anyone else.

Todd4State
07-19-2015, 04:09 PM
5-Star, you are correct. KB was a Dick. How He made it as long as he did is amazing.

Gene and Raffo were friends. He basically hitched his wagon to Raffo hoping it would pay off with inside baseball info in the long run and then Byrne changed all of that.

BrunswickDawg
07-19-2015, 04:42 PM
I'm just impressed that it is late July, and our 'crootin class is ranked 47th on Scout - AND NONE OF YOU ARE FREAKING OUT CAUSE MULLEN CAN'T 'CROOT!!!!

Bravo ED, bravo.

IMissJack
07-19-2015, 04:44 PM
I'm just impressed that it is late July, and our 'crootin class is ranked 47th on Scout - AND NONE OF YOU ARE FREAKING OUT CAUSE MULLEN CAN'T 'CROOT!!!!

Bravo ED, bravo.

As you know, it's early, and ED rants about recruiting will peak if the season does not go according to plans!

BrunswickDawg
07-19-2015, 04:53 PM
As you know, it's early, and ED rants about recruiting will peak if the season does not go according to plans!
Ah, the sweet siren song of January.

Leroy Jenkins
07-19-2015, 04:57 PM

Bravo ED, bravo.

Dont worry. We will take those 2*'s and send them over to the vet dept for some enhancing injections. Its how MSU does it, right?

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/9121182_f520.jpg

TheRef
07-19-2015, 04:59 PM
*clears throat*

MULLENZ CAN'T CROOT

scottycameron
07-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Sounds great, but they are rated before they commit. I don't get it. I'd like to get it cause I believe (actually I know) that that whole biz is FOS and basically stealing money from DA's who don't know any better. I do agree that what schools have interest in you certainly determines rankings and what schools have "offered" you. But I don't understand the commit thing. Was it just a typo? Substitute offer for commit? It makes much more sense then.

Todd4State
07-19-2015, 08:02 PM
Sounds great, but they are rated before they commit. I don't get it. I'd like to get it cause I believe (actually I know) that that whole biz is FOS and basically stealing money from DA's who don't know any better. I do agree that what schools have interest in you certainly determines rankings and what schools have "offered" you. But I don't understand the commit thing. Was it just a typo? Substitute offer for commit? It makes much more sense then.

It has always been bizarre to me being a baseball fan because I grew up following the draft, minors, college players, etc. and for me it was always about the potential of the player based on their actual ability.

So to base at least in part how good someone is based on their offers is kind of crazy to me.

DerrickCT1
07-20-2015, 02:47 PM
if mULLEN CAN'T Croot... How in the Hell did we get to Number 1 and beat LSu for the 1st time in a very long time!! Don't get wrong.. I would love to get the highly rated recruit.. but Dan has done well with what he believes are the ball players he needs to win! No they aren't the ballyhooed Opening going recruit.. but he must be doing something right.. Now I will be disappointed if he doesn't lock the stars of starkville high up.. you don't let those get out of your state. I think letting Leonard leave was a big Mistake!! but you have to get these guys in this class and Gay in the next!! they are must haves! do everything legal in your power to get those guys in Maroon & White!

Coach34
07-20-2015, 02:51 PM
ok- your 2nd post was much better than the 1st