PDA

View Full Version : Shumpert named to Doak Walker watch list

CadaverDawg
07-16-2015, 09:35 PM
Keep sleepin on my boy.

Tbonewannabe
07-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Shumpert getting starter carries is going to do wonders for him. Hopefully he takes some of those up the gut runs to save some hits on Dak.

Todd4State
07-16-2015, 10:11 PM
I'm really glad that we didn't move him to safety or LB. He's going to make our running game different because he is more of an inside runner and it's going to make us more physical.

Todd4State
07-16-2015, 10:13 PM
Shumpert getting starter carries is going to do wonders for him. Hopefully he takes some of those up the gut runs to save some hits on Dak.

His pass protection is going to be an upgrade over Josh's blocking too. Which obviously will help us keep Dak upright and help in the passing game.

War Machine Dawg
07-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Dontavian Lee. Shump needs to be a FB/H-back hybrid.

Ralph
07-16-2015, 10:44 PM
Dontavian Lee. Shump needs to be a FB/H-back hybrid.

This

MetEdDawg
07-17-2015, 07:01 AM
But we don't have any good running backs!!!!111!!! How dumb are people. We've got the best QB in the SEC, Richie Brown, Shump, Bell, and Jones on a watch list, Redmond proclaimed the best senior CB in college football, Bear is a freak, and we've got an OL of nothing but juniors and seniors. But I guess we will finish last again.

Can't wait for the SEC to eat crow.

msstate7
07-17-2015, 07:15 AM
I'm ready to see how we split carries against lsu. Shump seems like he'd be most effective if he's getting 15 carries a game so he can wear defenses down

Coach34
07-17-2015, 07:19 AM
Shumpert is solid- but he just doesn't naturally find the hole. Lee and Aeris are better at running the football- but they aren't Shump in doing everything else. Shump will be fine- but we are going to have a 3-headed RB this year

messageboardsuperhero
07-17-2015, 07:37 AM
But we don't have any good running backs!!!!111!!! How dumb are people. We've got the best QB in the SEC, Richie Brown, Shump, Bell, and Jones on a watch list, Redmond proclaimed the best senior CB in college football, Bear is a freak, and we've got an OL of nothing but juniors and seniors. But I guess we will finish last again.

Can't wait for the SEC to eat crow.

This is what SEC media people aren't understanding about our OL. With all the depth/redshirting we've accumulated over the past 6 years, we will pretty much always have a veteran OL full of juniors, seniors, and the occasional RS sophomore. I don't know if we'll ever start someone again on the OL in the Mullen era who has less than three years of experience in the program.

From here on in, we will pretty much always have an experienced OL.

MetEdDawg
07-17-2015, 07:41 AM
I'm ready to see how we split carries against lsu. Shump seems like he'd be most effective if he's getting 15 carries a game so he can wear defenses down

I would like to see a Bama approach. They use Derrick Henry sparingly throughout the early portions of the game, but he gets a ton of yards in the 2nd half. You run guys around the first few quarters, then you bring in the punisher at the end. Get everyone going downhill and just out muscle people. We can do that but I'm not sure Mullen likes that approach.

I love going fast in the first half. But there's just something about slowing the game down and punishing teams in the 2nd half that just makes you feel good.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-17-2015, 08:00 AM
Keep sleepin on my boy..

Tbonewannabe
07-17-2015, 08:04 AM
I think we will go fast and punish people. Don't give the Defense a chance to sub and wear them down. Rotate RB if they get winded or switch out on series unless you get a down and distance you want someone specific.

Johnson85
07-17-2015, 08:19 AM
This is what SEC media people aren't understanding about our OL. With all the depth/redshirting we've accumulated over the past 6 years, we will pretty much always have a veteran OL full of juniors, seniors, and the occasional RS sophomore. I don't know if we'll ever start someone again on the OL in the Mullen era who has less than three years of experience in the program.

From here on in, we will pretty much always have an experienced OL.

We will, but it will either be because of injuries or because of talent. If you look at teams that consistently end up with good OLs, they still typically will have one sophomores or event a redshirt freshman on them. But you have to get blue chip recruits for that to happen or strike gold with an unnoticed lineman.

CadaverDawg
07-17-2015, 11:06 AM

Talking about OUR fans...because yes, they are. Just read the comments in this thread, many think he will be passed by a Freshman. Shumpert is going to impress our fans I think

DudyDawg
07-17-2015, 11:14 AM
I hope we see a ton of two back sets with Bear, Fred ross and another receiver out wide. Lots of options to run and if Sump is one of the backs he can lead block for the other or dak, run, or pass block while Lee or Aeris runs a route.

Johnson85
07-17-2015, 11:31 AM
I hope we see a ton of two back sets with Bear, Fred ross and another receiver out wide. Lots of options to run and if Sump is one of the backs he can lead block for the other or dak, run, or pass block while Lee or Aeris runs a route.
The only thing is if you really have two people in a running back position (as opposed to an RB and a H-back or some other similar set-up), it allows the defense to bring another defender into the box, making it more likely that they can overcome any plus one situation we create with Dak. There's definitely a place for it, but I think it is kind of contrary to the whole spread philosophy.

Tbonewannabe
07-17-2015, 12:07 PM
Talking about OUR fans...because yes, they are. Just read the comments in this thread, many think he will be passed by a Freshman. Shumpert is going to impress our fans I think

The biggest difference to me will be Shump has been in the offense for several years now. He will just know what he will needs to do with less thinking involved to slow him down. He is also a pretty good blocker. He is just an all around good RB. He might not be the best at everything but he is pretty good at every aspect. He hits the hole with power just not as much speed as other RB on the team. He probably won't break off a 70 yard run but will punish some DBs when he breaks off a 30 yard run. The freshmen are going to be a great contrast to what Shump brings. He is also from close to my hometown. Northeast Mississippi almost never produces very much in high level football recruits.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
07-17-2015, 01:18 PM
850 yds 12 TDs 3 tackles 8 pancakes 1 unsportsmanlike conduct