PDA

View Full Version : In a perfect world what Dan should have said.

gravedigger
07-16-2015, 07:41 PM
While id like to tell you all the issue of the confederate flag is important, truth is, its not. Its important to talk show hosts, message board trolls and reporters who are trying to deflect a worse story.

Fact is its a piece of cloth that identifies a stubborn ideology whos time passed long ago and currently only identifies those people who dont have the good sense to let go of it.

Fact is the rest of the country sees the flag the same way they see the robes of a klansman. It highlights ignorance.

The reason i think its not important? You have AN ENTIRE state funded university whose image Is the CONFEDERATE army. What does a flag compare to THAT?

tenureplan
07-16-2015, 07:44 PM
I guess if MSU wasn't also a state funded university, he could have said that

BulldogBear
07-16-2015, 08:08 PM
I'd have just said. "Interesting question, but I'm not running for office. Next question please."

Liverpooldawg
07-16-2015, 08:09 PM
MSU doesn't glorify plantation culture dude. The folks up the road always have AND STILL DO.

Liverpooldawg
07-16-2015, 08:12 PM
WE are playing by the UM media's rules AGAIN. WHY do we always have to do this? This non-flap over what Mullen said is deflection from what is going on up the road, with the NCAA stuff, the names OLE MISS and REBELS, and the whole culture up there. They are twisting and deflecting AGAIN and we are falling for it AGAIN.

Saltydog
07-16-2015, 08:17 PM
it at that but his answer wasn't bad at all though.......Just something for someone else to try to pick part and make headlines out of....Nothing more, nothing less........

DawgPoundtheRock
07-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Nothing to see here. Move along please.

Todd4State
07-16-2015, 08:44 PM
I would have gone Saban on Bonner and told him that I am here to talk about football, and if he had any football questions, I'll answer that and if he didn't he can sit there. I don't really care one way or the other.

And after that "article" by Keelenburger came out, I would basically tell the Clarion-Ledger that they aren't welcome back anymore and they won't have any media access for this year.

Todd4State
07-16-2015, 08:45 PM
WE are playing by the UM media's rules AGAIN. WHY do we always have to do this? This non-flap over what Mullen said is deflection from what is going on up the road, with the NCAA stuff, the names OLE MISS and REBELS, and the whole culture up there. They are twisting and deflecting AGAIN and we are falling for it AGAIN.

Thank you. Nailed it on the head.

Dan could have said anything ranging from ban it to keep it- no matter what he said it was going to be the "wrong" thing.

OurState
07-16-2015, 08:58 PM
MSU doesn't glorify plantation culture dude. The folks up the road always have AND STILL DO.

How did we ended being the fan base defending the flag?
WTF
Mullen turfed the question. The fact that he is our guy doesn't obviate that.

Quaoarsking
07-16-2015, 09:02 PM
He could have gotten away with "I'm from New Hampshire. I'm descended from American soldiers who fought for the stars and stripes during the Civil War. Of course I don't support the Confederate flag."

It would have been an unequivocal statement to change it but given him a little cover of "well this is my heritage." Also, I'm just guessing about him being descended from Union soldiers, but he has 8 great-great-grandfathers and 16 great-great-great grandfathers, so he probably is.

Liverpooldawg
07-16-2015, 09:03 PM
How did we ended being the fan base defending the flag?
WTF
Mullen turfed the question. The fact that he is our guy doesn't obviate that.

No he didn't. You are repeating what THEY are telling you to. He said it is a non-issue at MSU because you almost never see that flag at MSU. He said that he stood behind what the University said over a DECADE ago. This is all deflection from what they know could blow up in their face REALLY fast. If they are serious then they will immediately eliminate the terms Ole Miss and Rebels from their university.

coastratdog
07-16-2015, 09:24 PM
The reality is black kids today don't give a shut up about the "rebel" flag, Ole Miss or Rebels. If they did Northern Miss. wouldn't have had a top recruiting class a couple of years ago made up of mostly black kids. It's all about the cash. So as far as recruiting is concerned it is a non issue. I can't think of one black kid going back to Ben Williams who publically said I'm not going there because of the racist names, symbols or culture. This is purely the liberal media stirring the pot and why would CBS or NBC care what a football coach says.

OurState
07-16-2015, 09:28 PM
No he didn't. You are repeating what THEY are telling you to. He said it is a non-issue at MSU because you almost never see that flag at MSU. He said that he stood behind what the University said over a DECADE ago. This is all deflection from what they know could blow up in their face REALLY fast. If they are serious then they will immediately eliminate the terms Ole Miss and Rebels from their university.

In no way was it a good answer. In fact it wasn't an answer. He dodged the question.

If he was going to do that he could have said, "I leave that to the politicians."

It wasn't TSUN vs MSU or the prevalence of the flag on the campus, it was how do you feel about the flag. I just don't see how anyone can pretend a mealy mouthed non answer is a good answer. It sucked.

SheltonChoked
07-16-2015, 09:48 PM
I'll use small words so you understand. He said it's not our problem. We don't use the flag. It's not our symbol. I'm a Yankee coach.

Liverpooldawg
07-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Mullen said MSU had addressed it a decade ago. The Rebel line is what you are repeating. I don't know if that is intentional or not but it's time to quit letting THEM set the agenda. This is deflection pure and simple. The last thing they want is public discussion of what their most cherished symbols are about. The only way they avoid it is to twist words and make it look like someone else is the bad guy. They have enough allies in the media, we don't need to be helping them do it. MSU actions speak for themselves. So do theirs.

Political Hack
07-16-2015, 09:50 PM
While id like to tell you all the issue of the confederate flag is important, truth is, its not. Its important to talk show hosts, message board trolls and reporters who are trying to deflect a worse story.

Fact is its a piece of cloth that identifies a stubborn ideology whos time passed long ago and currently only identifies those people who dont have the good sense to let go of it.

Fact is the rest of the country sees the flag the same way they see the robes of a klansman. It highlights ignorance.

The reason i think its not important? You have AN ENTIRE state funded university whose image Is the CONFEDERATE army. What does a flag compare to THAT?

I would've paid for his bronze statue at the footsteps of the university.

Liverpooldawg
07-16-2015, 09:50 PM
I'll use small words so you understand. He said it's not our problem. We don't use the flag. It's not our symbol. I'm a Yankee coach.

That is EXACTLY what he said. The REBEL line is what the media and some here are repeating

Todd4State
07-16-2015, 10:04 PM
In no way was it a good answer. In fact it wasn't an answer. He dodged the question.

If he was going to do that he could have said, "I leave that to the politicians."

It wasn't TSUN vs MSU or the prevalence of the flag on the campus, it was how do you feel about the flag. I just don't see how anyone can pretend a mealy mouthed non answer is a good answer. It sucked.

He gave MSU's stance on it and got wrongly bashed for it. I don't see how you can say it was bad answer.

Political Hack
07-16-2015, 10:14 PM
he didn't really get bashed. He got "attempted bashed" by a bunch of Rebel rags. It died because it had no legs. they're idiots whose fans fly the rebel flag and are trying to make our coach look bad because he said it's not his problem.

bluelightstar
07-16-2015, 10:29 PM
The reality is black kids today don't give a shut up about the "rebel" flag, Ole Miss or Rebels. If they did Northern Miss. wouldn't have had a top recruiting class a couple of years ago made up of mostly black kids. It's all about the cash. So as far as recruiting is concerned it is a non issue. I can't think of one black kid going back to Ben Williams who publically said I'm not going there because of the racist names, symbols or culture. This is purely the liberal media stirring the pot and why would CBS or NBC care what a football coach says.

This is inaccurate, I assure you.

Johnson85
07-17-2015, 08:40 AM
he didn't really get bashed. He got "attempted bashed" by a bunch of Rebel rags. It died because it had no legs. they're idiots whose fans fly the rebel flag and are trying to make our coach look bad because he said it's not his problem.

It's hard to win when you are dealing with a hostile reporter. His answer was good. Kellenburger was looking to drum up a controversy. Freeze was willing to play his game and Mullen wasn't. It's pretty much always a terrible idea to pick a fight with somebody that buys ink by the gallons, but I do kind of wish Mullen would strike back at Kellenburger. Kellenburger wants to claim it's a lack of leadership for Mullen to point out that MSU has been against the flag for over a decade, but people in Jackson determine our flag. I'd love for Mullen to point out that Kellenberger isn't worried about leaders at the University of Ole Miss even leading on their own symbols and names with problematic racial histories. It'd be dumb, but it'd be what Kellenberger deserves for being such a hack.

fishwater99
07-17-2015, 08:59 AM
Dan swung and missed. It was on a tee and he missed the ball.
I am sure he really doesn't think it's a big deal, b/c we aren't the school in MS with a confederate background.

Dan should have made a clearer statement.

"I am for changing the state flag, and our school and it's administration has had the same stance for over 15 years.
We have the highest African American student population in the SEC, we are one big family here at MSU
We don't fly the rebel flag here at MSU, maybe you should be asking this question to TSUN's coach."