PDA

View Full Version : I vaguely remember a particular user

TheDogFather
07-16-2015, 06:18 PM
Declaring the screen teaching prowess of Rick Ray.

Howland disagrees.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13255785/ben-howland-southern-california-starkville-challenge-mississippi-state

messageboardsuperhero
07-16-2015, 06:28 PM
"We're trying to teach them to set good screens, how to use a screen, how to come off a screen watching a defender, all of it," Howland says. "They were the s---iest screening team. Last year's team averaged [nine] assists and 15 turnovers a game. They weren't a good passing team. They weren't a good shooting team."

Ha, tell us what you really think coach. He pretty much confirms what we all knew- Rick Ray was horrific at teaching offensive fundamentals.

CadaverDawg
07-16-2015, 06:30 PM
"We're trying to teach them to set good screens, how to use a screen, how to come off a screen watching a defender, all of it," Howland says. "They were the s---iest screening team. Last year's team averaged [nine] assists and 15 turnovers a game. They weren't a good passing team. They weren't a good shooting team."

Ha, tell us what you really think coach. He pretty much confirms what we all knew- Rick Ray was horrific at teaching offensive fundamentals.

That scrap tho **

Dawgcentral
07-16-2015, 06:30 PM
Nice write up. Thanks for posting it.

tenureplan
07-16-2015, 07:18 PM
I would like to see a response to this as well. I've had to write off watching basketball the past 3 years because it has been so hard to watch.

tcdog70
07-16-2015, 08:53 PM
Ha, ha, I find it hilarious. No shit Sherlock, they were several of us that pointed this out. But we were bombarded by the Stans haters who for some reason took up for Ray. Shit , Stevie Wonder could see Ray was joke. Thank you Coach Howland for showing our players how to set a ****ing screen.

tenureplan
07-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Ha, ha, I find it hilarious. No shit Sherlock, they were several of us that pointed this out. But we were bombarded by the Stans haters who for some reason took up for Ray. Shit , Stevie Wonder could see Ray was joke. Thank you Coach Howland for showing our players how to set a ****ing screen.

I think we are looking for another "coach" to speak up on this topic

Coach34
07-16-2015, 09:01 PM
If I said Ray was great at teaching our guys to set screens- feel free to link it and I'll own it

Johnson85
07-17-2015, 08:57 AM

I'm a little worried about that quote. From most coaches, I would read that as managing expectations for this year, as in it takes more than a summer to make up for deficits like that. Otherwise, why come out and basically bash your predecessor like that. But I gather one of the things people didn't like about him at UCLA was that he was a little blunt, so maybe he's just telling it like it.

DudyDawg
07-17-2015, 11:32 AM
Ray should be our D Coordinator. Dude knew how to create turnovers......

On both ends

Just This Once
07-17-2015, 11:42 AM
Ray should be our D Coordinator. Dude knew how to create turnovers......

On both ends

Howland should go "Hey, on defense, do everything Ray taught you. On offense, do the exact opposite of what Ray taught you."

ETA: One of my old baseball teammates was really fast, but really dumb. He was the pinch runner for us to start the season, but he always made mental mistakes that negated his speed. Our coach said, "Well if you just would stop doing the things that your brain tells you to do, then you'd be one hell of a pinch runner." So, if your guys would just learn to not do what Ray told them to do...