5 Most Overrated College Football Teams Heading into 2013
BY SEAN FRYE (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON JULY 10, 2013
15,958 reads 141
SHARE TWEET
Previous 3 of 7 Next
Oklahoma State Cowboys
Clint Chelf
Richard Rowe-USA TODAY Sports
After winning the Big 12 in 2011, then having a setback year in 2012 where they only won eight games, the Oklahoma State Cowboys are ranked by Sporting News as the sixth-best team in the entire country.

However, that is a gross overstatement of how talented Mike Gundy's bunch is this year. It's not unfathomable to think that the Cowboys aren't even the sixth-best team in their conference.

After starting three quarterbacks last year, the Cowboys seem set on Clint Chelf to lead them in 2013. While Chelf showed promise last year, a lot of it had to do with the fact that he didn't take over until late in the year, and teams were unfamiliar with him.

Despite that, he only threw for over 300 yards in a pass-friendly league once, and that was against Baylor, a team that had the worst defense in the Big 12.

Losing running back Joseph Randle is also a big hurdle for the Cowboys, as he's been the most consistent producer on offense the past two years.

Oklahoma State has the ability to put up points quickly. But the defense won't be able to match their performance, and the Cowboys will struggle early and often in 2013.

SignalToNoise
07-11-2013, 10:27 AM
I agree they aren't the 6th best team in the country. That just seems absurd to me.

Coach34
07-11-2013, 10:59 AM
I've been saying this for two months

They have an inexperienced OL
They were one of the worst pass defenses in the country last year- and lost 2 of 4 starters in the Secondary
Changing OC's because theirs left for a HC gig

If roles were reversed- and OK State had all this star talent on the DL like we have and we only had 1 starter returning on the OL- people would think we wouldnt stand a chance

engie
07-11-2013, 11:10 AM
No -- they aren't overrated. The are a top 10 team that are picked to win the big12 by some publications**

Seems like just the kind of "signature win" Mullen has been lacking. Of course, if by chance wwe beat them, the goal posts will move again so people can continue with the self-loathing and bitching...

PMDawg
07-11-2013, 11:28 AM
this is one of those "system" offenses that will always put up a bunch of points. they will score on us. they will make plays that result in huge gains. But, much like a lot of those system offense teams, their defense should suck. bad. So the questions are "can we make enough plays on defense to keep it from turning into a true trackmeet" and "can our offense executive at a high enough level to punish their terrible defense". we have to make tons of first downs and not have 3 and outs or 2 minute drives (unless we score). We can win this game, no doubt. It should be a great game.

Political Hack
07-11-2013, 12:26 PM
I expect them to be as good as Auburn, if not better. They aren't #6, but they're worthy of being ranked ahead of us to enter the season. Their QB is damn good and can place the ball just about anywhere he wants and their RB was good last season in large part due to how well their OL blocked. C34's point that they lost their OL may haunt them, but that's the only area they should be worse for sure IMO.

FISHDAWG
07-11-2013, 12:30 PM
this was the same scenario last year against UT

PMDawg
07-11-2013, 12:57 PM
I expect them to be as good as Auburn, if not better. They aren't #6, but they're worthy of being ranked ahead of us to enter the season. Their QB is damn good and can place the ball just about anywhere he wants and their RB was good last season in large part due to how well their OL blocked. C34's point that they lost their OL may haunt them, but that's the only area they should be worse for sure IMO.

Last week Mr Man (Gundy) said They were going to use a 2 QB system this year. That's never good for a team/staff that doesn't typically do that.

Bullmutt
07-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Anybody have opinions as to how radically the new OC changes the offense?

MSUDawg4Life
07-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Anybody have opinions as to how radically the new OC changes the offense?

Not much at all. It's still Gundy's offense.

As others have said, they are still going to be good offensively and still going to put up a lot of points.

mic
07-11-2013, 02:48 PM
you give us their schedule they had last year and I am willing to bet we would have gone at least 8-4 with a bowl win against Purdue like they did.. If not a game better.. Same could prob be said for them with the schedule we had..
So the question is are they a better team this year with what they have coming back.?? I say no
I think we will be a better team but may not get to the 8 wins because of the schedule.
That's why I don't think there is anyway they are a double digit better team than we are like the experts think

DawgInMemphis
07-11-2013, 02:49 PM
I think they're overrated. It's very tough replacing multiple OL starters in the same year, especially when one is the line's signal caller - just ask Mizzou. They'll be a good football team, and a great litmus test to open the season with.

Raytoraid83
07-11-2013, 03:35 PM
I think they're overrated. It's very tough replacing multiple OL starters in the same year, especially when one is the line's signal caller - just ask Mizzou. They'll be a good football team, and a great litmus test to open the season with.

Everyone keeps talking about State's secondary opening up against an air raid offense. I'd much rather that, than have a new o line getting its first real college reps against a SEC d-line. Its very rare that an offense comes out clicking on week 1, most big week 1 games (and big games in general) are won by defense and at the line. As long as the offense doesn't put the defense in tough situations, with three and outs, turnovers etc. I think State wins. The closer I look at these two teams the better chance I think State has.

MSUDawg4Life
07-11-2013, 04:01 PM
They don't really have a new OL though.

Oklahoma State depth chart (http://cfn.scout.com/2/1290106.html)

The LG, RG and RT are all returning starters. I believe I read on one of their sites that the "new" center is actually their old LT. So, the only new position is LT which is manned by a sophomore and a redshirt freshman.

Spider-Man
07-11-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm certainly going down there expecting a win.

MSUDawg4Life
07-11-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm certainly going down there expecting a win.

I'm very confident also.

I respect them and know that they are going to be a challenge, but I also know that we could very well win the game. It's just a matter of how bad we want it and how well we play.

PMDawg
07-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Everyone keeps talking about State's secondary opening up against an air raid offense. I'd much rather that, than have a new o line getting its first real college reps against a SEC d-line. Its very rare that an offense comes out clicking on week 1, most big week 1 games (and big games in general) are won by defense and at the line. As long as the offense doesn't put the defense in tough situations, with three and outs, turnovers etc. I think State wins. The closer I look at these two teams the better chance I think State has.

I wouldn't count on their offense getting off to a slow start. Their system is perfected. Yes, they are replacing their OC and some OL, but they will be fine. If their offense struggles, it will be because our front 7 is badass, not bc it's the first game.

Raytoraid83
07-11-2013, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't count on their offense getting off to a slow start. Their system is perfected. Yes, they are replacing their OC and some OL, but they will be fine. If their offense struggles, it will be because our front 7 is badass, not bc it's the first game.

I definitely respect their offense and know they're gonna score some points I just meant they won't be in midseason form yet. If we don't make careless errors I expect State to win.

engie
07-11-2013, 06:10 PM
They don't really have a new OL though.

Oklahoma State depth chart (http://cfn.scout.com/2/1290106.html)

The LG, RG and RT are all returning starters. I believe I read on one of their sites that the "new" center is actually their old LT. So, the only new position is LT which is manned by a sophomore and a redshirt freshman.

This is incorrect. They replace 4 of the 5 and the 5th undergoes a position change...

2012 depth chart:
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130711-mer5-53kb.jpg

2013 depth chart:
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130711-cn1e-40kb.jpg

MSUDawg4Life
07-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Well, that settles it then! Engie done figured it out. They replace 4 of 5!

I guess that's part of the EliteDawgs groupthink now, huh?

mic
07-11-2013, 06:35 PM
This is incorrect. They replace 4 of the 5 and the 5th undergoes a position change...

2012 depth chart:
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130711-mer5-53kb.jpg

2013 depth chart:
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130711-cn1e-40kb.jpg

starting LT was a low 3*
starting RT was not rated..
starting C was not rated..

MSUDawg4Life
07-11-2013, 06:44 PM
starting LT was a low 3*
starting RT was not rated..
starting C was not rated..

If you compare the last few recruiting classes, there's very little difference in talent between the two teams. In some areas, we have a sizable advantage.

engie
07-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Yep...

Both starting tackles are rsSO as well -- with no real starting experience from either.

While it's not necessarily a recipe for disaster, it's not a preferrable situation for them...and they don't have much film to go on for any of our starting DL other than Autry...

Coach34
07-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Some of the guys they have on the OL have started a game or two- but they aren't "starters"

Phil Steele said they have 36 starts between the 5 guys on the OL- that's very low. By contrast- out OL has 108 starts. As a matter of fact, people act all worried about our DL- I think out DL has as many returning starts as their OL does

Ghost of Hank Flick
07-11-2013, 07:04 PM
I think I went from clean shaven to a full beard over the course of reading this thread.

Quaoarsking
07-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Some of the guys they have on the OL have started a game or two- but they aren't "starters"

Phil Steele said they have 36 starts between the 5 guys on the OL- that's very low. By contrast- out OL has 108 starts. As a matter of fact, people act all worried about our DL- I think out DL has as many returning starts as their OL does

I feel pretty confident that we beat Oklahoma State. Are they the most head-scratchingly overrated preseason team since Ole Miss in 2009?

Coach34
07-11-2013, 08:45 PM
I feel pretty confident that we beat Oklahoma State. Are they the most head-scratchingly overrated preseason team since Ole Miss in 2009?

Their skill people are very good- and I think people are thinking their defensive front will be solid. We need to put up 40 on them and our DL needs to play the way an SEC DL is supposed to.

Political Hack
07-11-2013, 08:56 PM
The 2013 depth chart shows 3 OL in bold. Bold usually indicates a returning starter. Not sure if that's the case here, but they could've been starting by seasons end... just like their returning starting QB.

BHildreth3
07-11-2013, 09:36 PM
I have a house full of kids tonight...they were playing NCAA 14 and the ESPN ticker update said....
Mississippi State 40, Oklahoma State 38 Final

So there you have it - we need 40, there's my prediction

Coach34
07-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Phil Steele say:

Ok State lost All-Big 12 Lane Taylor RG- 4 yr starter, Center Evan Epstein, and LG Jonathan Rush

LG Brandon Webb started the last 5 games in 2012
RG Parker Graham started 13 games last yr- 11 at LT
C Jake Jenkins has 1 career start
LT Devin Davis- Soph- 2 starts last yr
RT Daniel Koenig - started as a R-Fr- banged up last yr as Soph...returns to starting

So 1 full-time starter from last year- and he played another position
1 half-year starter
1 that started 2 years ago
2 basically new starters

36 career starts between all 5 guys combined

Political Hack
07-11-2013, 09:58 PM
it's not a lot of experience, but they've got 3 guys coming back with a little continuity. Could be better, could be worse. Our DL should eat them alive regardless.

I like the 40-point prediction. If we score 40, I'm pretty sure we'll cover.

ckDOG
07-11-2013, 10:14 PM
They will be well coached and capable of scoring a lot of points. We will compete though. I think the key to the game is our OL. If we control the LOS when on offense and establish a solid ground game, we will keep the pace of the game to our liking. With an experienced line, 5th year QB, and a stable of solid RBs, we need to slow this game down. Let's ground and pound and ease the inexperienced WRs into their new roles. Slowing then game down will keep the D fresh to help us get a few stops. I like our chances with the o line we have.

msstate7
07-11-2013, 10:16 PM
it's not a lot of experience, but they've got 3 guys coming back with a little continuity. Could be better, could be worse. Our DL should eat them alive regardless.

I like the 40-point prediction. If we score 40, I'm pretty sure we'll cover.

If we score 40, we'll win. Collins gonna draw us a baller of a game plan -- I hope

rtdawg
07-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Love this thread....made me book my flight to Houston. Thanks for all the good info on the Cowboys....

EAVdog
07-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Mainly a name recognition thing. They are not the same OSU from a couple of years ago, still will be well coached. Hopefully Collins is studying tape now. Our defense has to improve from last year. Wilson and Melvin basically phoned in the last half of the season. Not to mention the weak scheme from the onset. Denico looked like a completely different player in the Gator Bowl. I expect that will be his norm from now on with Collins calling plays.

I for one am excited about the season. Returning nearly an entire OL, best QB ever, TE's, RB's etc... Sure we lose some WR's but we threw the ball too damn much last year anyway.

engie
07-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Collins is going to remind people why he was a Broyles finalist(for nation's top assistant coach) in his one and only prior year as a DC...

I really love his ability to make adjustments on the fly during the game. That's something that Diaz had -- that Wilson didn't. Collins was constantly tweaking and making adjustments in the Gator Bowl to shut down whatever Northwestern was doing well at that moment -- and that was just in weakness recognition while operating in the framework of Wilson's scheme...

One thing I'm basically sure of -- we're going to bring 5 alot -- and we're going to contain the run game much, MUCH better than we did last year simply due to contesting the LOS so much better...

Of course, the downside of going aggressive is you will occasionally give up the homerun -- but MSU will never accomplish much of anything much without being risky to an extent IMO...

CadaverDawg
07-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Collins is going to remind people why he was a Broyles finalist(for nation's top assistant coach) in his one and only prior year as a DC...

I really love his ability to make adjustments on the fly during the game. That's something that Diaz had -- that Wilson didn't. Collins was constantly tweaking and making adjustments in the Gator Bowl to shut down whatever Northwestern was doing well at that moment -- and that was just in weakness recognition while operating in the framework of Wilson's scheme...

One thing I'm basically sure of -- we're going to bring 5 alot -- and we're going to contain the run game much, MUCH better than we did last year simply due to contesting the LOS so much better...

Of course, the downside of going aggressive is you will occasionally give up the homerun -- but MSU will never accomplish much of anything much without being risky to an extent IMO...

I hope you are right and I feel like you are. I have been saying that our defense is what I feel most comfortable about this fall. We have boatloads of talent on that side of the ball, and Collins is on a mission to become a wanted Coach. The offense is what concerns me. Hopefully we can protect the football and sure up our special teams. If we do those two things, we will be in every game if our D performs the way I think they will.

EAVdog
07-11-2013, 11:28 PM
We lost Bump and a bunch of short decent receivers. Not great, not real good, but decent. I think we can replace Bumphis with Jameon, Fred Ross, Chappelle, etc... We just need the rest of the receivers to be Chris Smith type guys.

We return everyone else and have a full stable of TE's. My only concern is play calling when it comes to the Offense.

FlabLoser
07-12-2013, 05:53 AM
Here's to hoping Collins confuses the shit out of them with some decent scheming.

Any OL would have a chance against Wilson's straight up man on man read and react bullshit.

Political Hack
07-12-2013, 07:34 AM
Agree with engine on the general scheme we have to run at MSU to be successful. That "bend don't break" scheme broke the hell out of us. We have to be aggressive, get teams into 3rd down situations early and often, and put pressure on them so they make mistakes.

The one reason Im not as optimistic about Okie State as other is evacuee I feel overall it's a toss up, but I think we're more likely to turn the ball over more (INTs, and a Tubby fumble). We should have better special teams. their Kicker/Punter was great last year, but W's gone so they'll be dealing with some big time nerves in Houston. Hopefully the crowd will know that and really bring it at their K.

Keys to winning:
1) Don't lose the turnover battle.
2) Red Zone Success.
3) Win Special Teams.

Easy enough, right?

Spider-Man
07-12-2013, 09:11 AM
I hope the roof is closed and the cowbells that we are allowed to bring really get into the heads of dem cowboys. SEC can't fine us, bring 'em and ring 'em boys.