PDA

View Full Version : C34's 2015 SEC West Predictions

Coach34
07-15-2015, 08:22 PM
This is the most even the SEC West has ever been. This season should be the most entertaining football year that many of us remember. I'm calling the West to dominate the East this year. So here we go:

1. Mississippi State- (7-1) This is finally the year. If not this year- it's never going to happen. State has the best QB in the SEC and one of the best in the country. Prescott completed 61.6% of his passes for 3449 yards and 27 TD's. He will be even better in 2015 with 5 of his top 7 WR's returning- plus a stable of RB's with great hands. Prescott almost rushed for a 1,000 last year- but I see about 30 fewer rushes in 2015 and a drop to about 800 yards. State's OL should be very good- led by Justin Malone and Justin Senior. Jamal Clayborn has a ton of talent at C and is the strongest player on the team. Rufus Warren is the man to watch at LT. Lots of weight on his TE to OT shoulders. Watch out for R-Fr OG Deion Calhoun- he has been called the best OL recruit of the Mullen era. Big, physical RB's and the best WR group in school history make this offense tough to stop. I look for Prescott, Wilson, and Malone to make All-SEC. Fred Ross could sneak in also
Defensively, State is going to be extremely physical on the DL. Ryan Brown is a draft pick as is Chris Jones. Nelson Adams is Mr. Consistent, Nick James has lost weight and playing better than ever, and R-Fr Corey Thomas should live up to his billing. DE AJ Jefferson may be the best DE in the SEC vs the run- question remains can he be the pass rusher needed at that position? State is stacked at LB with the Brown Brothers, Gerri Green, JT Gray, and others. State also probably has the best CB tandem in all of college football in Redmond and Calhoun. Cedric Jiles will be a helluva Nickel guy as well. Safety questions and the 2nd DL group- particularly DE have to be answered. Usually home games vs LSU and Bama are auto-losses- but not this year.

2. Auburn- (6-2) They will be very good on offense but have some parts to replace. Johnson is a good talent at QB, Williams a great talent at WR, and newcomer Jovon Robinson will tote the rock. Got to solve some OL issues with new starters and some new WR's- but Malzahn is one of the best offensive minds in America. They will be fine on O. Can Boom make the difference on D? They are totally changing schemes on D and that could take some adjusting. They also have some Secondary issues and depth there is a real concern. I think State and LSU get them early but then they start rolling in Oct and Nov. Their biggest games are at home other than LSU and that is huge for them.

3. Bama- (5-3) Good football team with lots of talent- but this is the year they fall back slightly. Plus, no team has repeated as SEC champ in 16 years. They replacing their entire offense sans 2 guys on the OL. Lost a top WR to an ACL in the Spring. They arent happy about their QB play and recruited transfers for the position to no avail. As great as Saban has been- his development of QB's has left alot to be desired. He cant put one in the NFL. I dont see a QB for them being good enough to win @Georgia, @State, and @Auburn.

4. LSU- (5-3) Big, physical, talented. They will be good on D. They are good on the OL. They have talent at WR. They are great at RB. What will they get out of their QB's???? I'm guessing mediocrity. But even with mediocrity, that will be good enough most nights- but definitely not good enough to win @State or @Bama.

5. UPig- (4-4) Lots of starters returning on offense. They will run the football. They struggle to stretch the field on offense though and that will hurt them in big games. They lost some badasses on defense- and while they may be solid on D- they wont be as good as last year. 8-4 in 2015 keeps the Hog fans hopeful Bert will work out for them.

6. Ole Missus- (4-4) Finishes 6th due to losing tiebreak to UPig. Really good WR's, OL will be solid. They are below average at RB. Their QB situation is a mystery. Freezus couldnt get 2 4-star players ready to play as 3rd year players so they brought in a volatile juco QB. They will be decent on O but lack leadership. And now Tunsil has questions as to how much he plays this Fall. Defensively they lost some serious leadership. They still have good players on D and should be a top 15 Defense in 2015. LB has some questions- and replacing Prewitt and Golson wont be easy. I dont think they have the leadership or the QB to win @Bama, @Auburn, or @State. I also think UPig out physicals them to upset them at home. They have the week off to get ready for LSU and always play them well anyway- so I'll give that one to them.

7. Texas A&M- (2-6) They will be good on offense. They will score points. But they lack talent on D. They were terrible on D last year- and lost all their starting LB'ers and half their Secondary. Chavis will help make them better scheme-wise- but he just doesnt have the talent to stop SEC offenses yet. I think they win their East games vs SC and Vandy- but go 0'fer vs the West. They just arent physical enough on D.

SEC Player of the Year- Dakota Prescott
1st team All-SEC- Prescott, Wilson, Malone, Ryan Brown, Will Redmond
2nd team All-SEC- Ross, Jones, Benni Brown

BrunswickDawg
07-15-2015, 08:36 PM
I'm with you, but everyone will say "the SEC West is having a down year"

CadaverDawg
07-15-2015, 08:59 PM

Fine by me. Bring it

Bothrops
07-15-2015, 09:51 PM

I hope to hear people say those words at the end of the season. That will mean good good good for us.

BeardoMSU
07-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Well done, Coach.

Let's hope it happens that way, but in the meantime....

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/ttf.gif

RDawg90
07-15-2015, 09:58 PM
1. Alabama- I think they get back to the Alabama of old. Henry is as good of a running back as Saban has ever had, a healthy Drake makes a massive difference. Robinson, Allen, and Ragland lead a ridiculously talented and deep defensive front 7. I think the defensive secondary will make solid progress, there's just too much talent not too.
2. Auburn- I'm not as high on Johnson as everybody else seems to be, and I can't see Muschamp turning that unit into world beaters just yet. However, they have a stable of running backs and Duke Williams is as good of a WR as there is in the conference. Defensively, they have a elite pass rusher in Lawson if he's healthy, and they can't really be that much worse. There is talent on that side of the ball.
T3. Mississippi State- We have the only proven QB in the conference, and I LOVE our WRs, Wilson and Ross are as good of a duo as there is in the league. I do have questions about the offensive line and defensive line however. I love our linebackers, and I think Calhoun and Redmond are a great combo. Safety is a massive question mark for me however, we have a lot riding on a true freshman in Jamal Peters. To have a chance to compete, we need two out of LSU, @ Auburn, @ A&M early.
T3. Ole Miss- Obviously they have question marks at QB, RB, and O-Line, but Treadwell and Engram are big big weapons to ease the growing pains. I doubt their defense is as elite as it was last year, but Nkemdiche and Connor are as good as anybody in the league. A lot of production to replace with the losses of Golson and Prewitt, but I know they are high on Hampton, Shephard, and Bridges.
5. Texas A&M- I like Kyle Allen a lot and they do get Mississippi State, Alabama, Auburn, and Arkansas in the state of Texas. Noil and Seals-Jones are outstanding playmakers and Sumlin knows how to produce points. Defensively, outside of Garrett, they are mediocre at best. Chavis won't nearly have the talent in College Station as he did in Baton Rouge (And even then I think his best days are past him), so I can't see them taking too many steps forward.
6. LSU- If they didn't have Fournette, they might not win more than 4 games. They've got good WRs, but two god awful quarterbacks. I think Beckwith is a rising star on the defensive side of the ball, and Adams should be their next great defensive back, but they're certainly not the physical presence they used to be.
7. Arkansas- One dimensional on offense with two great backs, but that got them to 6-6 last year, and I can't see it being good for much more this year. Defensively, the losses of Philon, Flowers, and Speight are huge.

ScoobaDawg
07-15-2015, 11:02 PM
1. Alabama- I think they get back to the Alabama of old. Henry is as good of a running back as Saban has ever had, a healthy Drake makes a massive difference. Robinson, Allen, and Ragland lead a ridiculously talented and deep defensive front 7. I think the defensive secondary will make solid progress, there's just too much talent not too.
2. Auburn- I'm not as high on Johnson as everybody else seems to be, and I can't see Muschamp turning that unit into world beaters just yet. However, they have a stable of running backs and Duke Williams is as good of a WR as there is in the conference. Defensively, they have a elite pass rusher in Lawson if he's healthy, and they can't really be that much worse. There is talent on that side of the ball.
T3. Mississippi State- We have the only proven QB in the conference, and I LOVE our WRs, Wilson and Ross are as good of a duo as there is in the league. I do have questions about the offensive line and defensive line however. I love our linebackers, and I think Calhoun and Redmond are a great combo. Safety is a massive question mark for me however, we have a lot riding on a true freshman in Jamal Peters. To have a chance to compete, we need two out of LSU, @ Auburn, @ A&M early.
T3. Ole Miss- Obviously they have question marks at QB, RB, and O-Line, but Treadwell and Engram are big big weapons to ease the growing pains. I doubt their defense is as elite as it was last year, but Nkemdiche and Connor are as good as anybody in the league. A lot of production to replace with the losses of Golson and Prewitt, but I know they are high on Hampton, Shephard, and Bridges.
5. Texas A&M- I like Kyle Allen a lot and they do get Mississippi State, Alabama, Auburn, and Arkansas in the state of Texas. Noil and Seals-Jones are outstanding playmakers and Sumlin knows how to produce points. Defensively, outside of Garrett, they are mediocre at best. Chavis won't nearly have the talent in College Station as he did in Baton Rouge (And even then I think his best days are past him), so I can't see them taking too many steps forward.
6. LSU- If they didn't have Fournette, they might not win more than 4 games. They've got good WRs, but two god awful quarterbacks. I think Beckwith is a rising star on the defensive side of the ball, and Adams should be their next great defensive back, but they're certainly not the physical presence they used to be.
7. Arkansas- One dimensional on offense with two great backs, but that got them to 6-6 last year, and I can't see it being good for much more this year. Defensively, the losses of Philon, Flowers, and Speight are huge.

Picking us tied for 3 with the Bears and you live in Oxford.... Come on Now...

BeardoMSU
07-15-2015, 11:12 PM

He at least put us in front, Scooba! 6 years ahead in the standings!111!!!****

Political Hack
07-15-2015, 11:12 PM
1) LSU - stacked everywhere except QB, where they have a QB whisperer.
2) State - most talent since 99 and a good defensive scheme to go with what should be the best O in school history.
3) Auburn - favorable schedule and no real drop off in talent. defense should be more consistent.
4) Bama - 5-4 against the last 9 teams they've played that finished the season ranked. human again.
5) Arkansas - much improved but still room to grow. running game alone can't win consistently in the SEC.
6) OM - no QB, no power RB, Tunsil?, Kimchee? More questions than answers for the Dixie Rebels.
7) A&M - Talent out the ying yang but just too young and that defense? if you can call that a defense...

RDawg90
07-15-2015, 11:21 PM

Haha if you're going to call me out you can at least give us your predicted standings as well.

ShotgunDawg
07-15-2015, 11:25 PM

I'm not as high on Henry as the media or others. For some reason he doesn't scare me.

I think Henry is exceptional against teams that have a bad defensive line, because he can get a head of steam going downhill before anyone contacts. However, if you have a good D-line, he simply lacks the agility & quickness to gain yards. I would much rather face Henry than Kenyon Drake, Yeldon, or the Arkansas backs Guys that can make people miss.

RDawg90
07-15-2015, 11:30 PM
I'm not as high on Henry as the media or others. For some reason he doesn't scare me.

I think Henry is exceptional against teams that have a bad defensive line, because he can get a head of steam going downhill before anyone contacts. However, if you have a good D-line, he simply lacks the agility & quickness to gain yards. I would much rather face Henry than Kenyon Drake, Yeldon, or the Arkansas backs Guys that can make people miss.

The last two Sugar Bowls against Ohio State and Oklahoma, Henry is averaging
9.2 yards per carry
97.5 rushing yards per game
38.3 yards per catch
57.5 receiving yards per game
1.5 TDs
On just 21 carries and 3 catches…

Carrer Stats
208 carries, 1372 yards, 14 TDs

BeardoMSU
07-15-2015, 11:33 PM

Henry is nasty, dude.

FISHDAWG
07-16-2015, 07:51 AM
I don't know how every team will stack up ... I just know we will beat Auburn at their house

engie
07-16-2015, 08:32 AM

Wait, so the guy that got caught up in a Shea Patterson shitfit last night lives in Oxford?

Not that it actually needed assurance after that thread -- but there's the assurance...

ShotgunDawg
07-16-2015, 08:54 AM
9.2 yards per carry
38.3 yards per catch
1.5 TDs

Carrer Stats

Again, he just doesn't scare me. I don't think he's near as versatile as some others. Last year he had 34 yards on 11 carries against us.

Not saying he isn't good, but his skill set can be neutralized to a large degree.

HenryGondorff
07-16-2015, 09:06 AM
C34
You said in the Bama, Aub, LSU, Miss, and TAMU write-ups that those are all wins for us... Where are you thinking the loss is coming from?

@Piggy letdown game?

BulldogBear
07-16-2015, 10:05 AM
9.2 yards per carry
38.3 yards per catch
1.5 TDs

Carrer Stats
They lost both games also. Just sayin'

:)

RDawg90
07-16-2015, 10:24 AM
They lost both games also. Just sayin'

:)

Well he doesn't play defense, I can confirm that....