PDA

View Full Version : Propaganda is even believed by our own people.....

Goat Holder
07-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Read the thread on 6-pack about Rod Taylor. Just makes you shake your head. It's complete with another ego-maniac HD6 bashing what Mullen is doing, and the typical rebel posters asking 'concerned' questions about what Mullen is doing. And our fanbase just laps this shit up.

I still predict an 8-4 season, but if things do go wrong this year at any point (and they could, the future is not written yet), I fully expect a stadium full of boos as history repeats itself not only with the QB curse, but also with coaches. And it will be a damn shame.

We have met the enemy, and he is us.

tenureplan
07-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Read the thread on 6-pack about Rod Taylor. Just makes you shake your head. It's complete with another ego-maniac HD6 bashing what Mullen is doing, and the typical rebel posters asking 'concerned' questions about what Mullen is doing. And our fanbase just laps this shit up.

I still predict an 8-4 season, but if things do go wrong this year at any point (and they could, the future is not written yet), I fully expect a stadium full of boos as history repeats itself not only with the QB curse, but also with coaches. And it will be a damn shame.

We have met the enemy, and he is us.

Are you talking about you or us?

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-11-2013, 09:16 AM
What i hate is we have waited 2 decades for a good qb. We have one and an outstanding line. We have zero receivers.

We have prayed for russell and he is here.....however, i think we are better off with prescott this yr. break him in with a great line to give him confidence.

FlabLoser
07-11-2013, 09:18 AM
What i hate is we have waited 2 decades for a good qb. We have one and an outstanding line. We have zero receivers.

We have prayed for russell and he is here.....however, i think we are better off with prescott this yr. break him in with a great line to give him confidence.

Those are my thoughts too. For decades we wanted a good QB. For decades we wanted a good QB coach. We have both. But we are short of a few pieces that we normally have had in the past.

Goat Holder
07-11-2013, 09:20 AM
I'm talking about everyone in that thread who is 'concerned' about the direction our football program is going. I'm talking about the people who boo our own team in Starkville. I'm talking about the people who truly think Mullen can't recruit. I'm talking about all the beat writers and recruitniks who are more concerned about themselves and making an extra ten cents than they are MSU.

If you fall in any of those groups I'm talking about you. Get it?

Political Hack
07-11-2013, 09:22 AM
NO WAY IN HELL we win more games with DP this season than TR. Zero chance. The only shot we have to hang with Bama, Okie State, LSU, A&M, or SC is with TR in the game. DP is great, and he will be able to lead us to W's in the future, but he is not ready yet. Missing spring didnt help either. Until he's ready to stand in the pocket and can throw every route, his legs will mean little to nothing on our offense.

Goat Holder
07-11-2013, 09:23 AM
When have we ever really had receivers? Eric Moulds and a few during the late 90s? Either way, the OL and QB will make the receivers better, I'd much rather have it the way we do than the other way around.

Prescott will get plenty of chances, don't see why anyone thinks he won't. Similar to 2009 (when we seemed to move the ball very well) and obviously the 2006 UF season.

CadaverDawg
07-11-2013, 09:44 AM

I agree, and I have been saying this since last year. Now that he missed the Spring though, I've backed off a little on this stance, but there is no doubt that the timing is not right for Tyler Russell at MSU.

We had years of coaches that wanted to throw but couldn't find a QB....now we have a coach that wants to run, and has a statue with a great arm. It's MSU at its finest really.

Many will disagree, but with an experienced O-Line, inexperienced WR's, experienced RB's, a semi-experienced dual threat QB, and a coach that is best with a dual threat QB....EVERYTHING sets up better for our dual threat QB. I know it would be impossible for Mullen to bench a Senior record setting QB, so I'm not expecting him to, but there is no doubt that we would be better suited to be using our dual threat QB as the starter this season.

This team is almost identical from a O-Line, WR, RB, standpoint as our 9 win team that beat Michigan in the Gator Bowl with....who?....yep....Relf, a running QB at the helm. Dak Prescott is better right now than Relf was in his career overall, so I don't see how anyone could say Prescott couldn't lead us to at least as many victories as Russell, especially if we went back to the offense we SHOULD be running under Mullen.

But this may be a different argument for a different day. I know many are on the other side so I want you to know that I understand why you can't not start Russell....I just hope you can see where Im coming from on Dak.

HancockCountyDog
07-11-2013, 09:49 AM
NO WAY IN HELL we win more games with DP this season than TR. Zero chance. The only shot we have to hang with Bama, Okie State, LSU, A&M, or SC is with TR in the game. DP is great, and he will be able to lead us to W's in the future, but he is not ready yet. Missing spring didnt help either. Until he's ready to stand in the pocket and can throw every route, his legs will mean little to nothing on our offense.

Are you saying he is a worse passer than Relf? I doubt it based on the throws I saw last year.

I would we have him standing in the pocket? We don't run an offense that usually requires a pocket.

I really hope all this changing to a power sets and Russell under center is simply for Russell, we certainly wouldn't expect Dak to run that offense. The more I keep hearing or reading about this traditional offense we are planning on running, just scares the shit out of me.

The Croom Diaries
07-11-2013, 09:54 AM
I was presented with the idea that Tyler Russell hasn't lived up to the hype on twitter this morning. That just blows my mind. He was a 4-star QB, and if you had said that going into his senior season he would be 10-7 as a starter (plus having saved us from that debacle in Birmingham) and broken every single-season passing record I'm pretty sure we would have all taken it - especially considering that in the previous 8 years prior to his arrival we had only won a whopping 29 games (average record of 3.6 wins - 8.1 losses per year). Too many people are prisoners of the moment and can't get that Gator Bowl performance out of their heads. And they can't get over how Relf beat ole miss 3 times and Russell is 0 for 1. So automatically Russell has underachieved. Well that is stupid. He is a very good QB - the best passing QB we've ever had obviously. Mullen can mold things around him better this year, and in his 5th year on campus it should be his best. I think ultimately the type of leader he is this year will determine how we remember him - and the passing records are a bonus.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-11-2013, 09:57 AM
I dont think that mullen cant necessarily recruit well, I just think starkville is a tough sell. Hell, our best recruiter took a pay cut to leave starkville bc he was frustrated by not being able to reel anyone in.

The town of starkville needs to improve. It is a shithole, like oxford. However, oxford has some really nice areas and the square.

I wish the cotton district would keep developing and the cotton mills would get rolling. They just need to nuke old hwy 12.

Starkville is in the middle of nowhere an there isnt a lot to do. It takes a certain kid to want to come here. They are 17. Most are rural. Starkville probably feels like home to them. But, I see how when they go on these recruiting trips to nicer areas where the girls and bars are popping, how that can influence a 17 year old. It is all about ***** and beer.

SignalToNoise
07-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Until he's ready to stand in the pocket and can throw every route, his legs will mean little to nothing on our offense.

I feel like what you are saying is that Prescott will have to pick defenses apart like Peyton Manning before his ability to run will mean anything.

I really hope that's not what you mean, because if so, that's incredibly stupid.

Coach34
07-11-2013, 09:58 AM
The propaganda and feelings by portions of our fanbase just sux right now. Whether it's Sixpack, 247, and private boards you have people freaking out about recruiting rankings. A completely subjective ranking that does not take into account work ethic, heart, maturity, physical growth, etc....

Yesterday I posted the Top 150 for the NFL draft entering the season. We had 2 players on it- both were 3 star players. Perkins is also thought to be drafted- another 3-star. Russell is questionable right now as far as the draft is concerned- he can play his way in or certainly guarantee he wont be drafted during this season. Russell is a 4-star player.

We had 2 draft picks last season- both 3-star players.

We have a freak athlete playing MLB who was a Freshman AA last season- guess what? Another 3-star.

Goat Holder
07-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Agree with everything here. One thing leaves me optimistic....the OL. For once in our history a QB was brought along EXACTLY as he should be. A little raw, so he redshirted, learned the ropes, played a little his RSo. year, then started and had a productive year his Jr. year. Now, with other pieces in place (namely the OL, again), he has a chance to break the mold.

You are definitely right on about our fans being in the moment. And we have no reason to demand excellence right away....when have we ever won anything to feel that way?

CadaverDawg
07-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Are you saying he is a worse passer than Relf? I doubt it based on the throws I saw last year.

I would we have him standing in the pocket? We don't run an offense that usually requires a pocket.

I really hope all this changing to a power sets and Russell under center is simply for Russell, we certainly wouldn't expect Dak to run that offense. The more I keep hearing or reading about this traditional offense we are planning on running, just scares the shit out of me.

This is true, and is the other part of my argument for Dak. Now what happens if Tyler goes down? Does Dak have to learn this offense AND expect to be ready to run a Relf style offense next year? Isn't this going to make the learning curve tougher for every one of our QB's not named Russell? Is our O-Line going to go from a passing blocking scheme back to a run blocking scheme next year and still be as effective?

The overall learning curve for the entire team is now going to be much harder over the next year and why?...All so that we can suit the offense to Tyler for ONE season. It is not worth it, especially when you could probably get the same number of wins or more out of Dak. And heaven forbid we go 5-7 with Russell this year and all of that changing and learning curve trouble was done for NOTHING.

FISHDAWG
07-11-2013, 10:02 AM
I understand the love shown to Prescott here BUT - we have only seen him in short situations (goal line & first down) and on a very FEW drives after the game has been put away ...... we haven't seen him under pressure during a critical drive when the game is close ... so I think it's a little bit of a stretch to assume he would out perform Russell ... he may capable but he is still very limited on PT and along with PT comes leadership developement, better decision making,and other benefits.... his time will come, but this is Russell's time ... I think we will see a LOT MORE of him this year as we did with Russell during Ralph's senior year

Coach34
07-11-2013, 10:08 AM
I dont think that mullen cant necessarily recruit well, I just think starkville is a tough sell. Hell, our best recruiter took a pay cut to leave starkville bc he was frustrated by not being able to reel anyone in.

The town of starkville needs to improve. It is a shithole, like oxford. However, oxford has some really nice areas and the square.

I wish the cotton district would keep developing and the cotton mills would get rolling. They just need to nuke old hwy 12.

Starkville is in the middle of nowhere an there isnt a lot to do. It takes a certain kid to want to come here. They are 17. Most are rural. Starkville probably feels like home to them. But, I see how when they go on these recruiting trips to nicer areas where the girls and bars are popping, how that can influence a 17 year old. It is all about ***** and beer.

great post. People want to bitch and blame Mullen all the time- the man can only do so much. The coaches are all salesmen- and have to make people want to buy in to their product. By Saban has a Mercedes to sell, Miles has corvettes, Sumlin has Lexus, Freezus has a solid Nissan Maxima he pushes, and Mullen is having to sell these loaded Impalas...and all these sales manager fans are wondering why the hell cant he sell these Impalas as easy as the other guys are selling their cars....

Starkville has to be improved to help Mullen sell State

Think about it- if kids were basing it just off football- we'd be reeling kids in- we have been to 3 straight bowls- 2 of them major. It's more than just football that influences these decisions

CadaverDawg
07-11-2013, 10:08 AM
I understand the love shown to Prescott here BUT - we have only seen him in short situations (goal line & first down) and on a very FEW drives after the game has been put away ...... we haven't seen him under pressure during a critical drive when the game is close ... so I think it's a little bit of a stretch to assume he would out perform Russell ... he may capable but he is still very limited on PT and along with PT comes leadership developement, better decision making,and other benefits.... his time will come, but this is Russell's time ... I think we will see a LOT MORE of him this year as we did with Russell during Ralph's senior year

It's not "love for Dak" so that needs to be dismissed. It is a "need for a dual threat QB" that we are talking about. Everyone against the Dak stance tries to make it a Dak vs Tyler argument, but it's not. It's a passing QB vs a dual threat QB argument. The ENTIRE team is set up more to run the ball, and we are a better running team with a dual threat QB...it's not that hard.

And the "it's Russell's time" argument, is dumb. It should be about MSU's best chance to win. We shouldn't have to let someone start just because they are a Senior. Now, at the same time, I can see the problems it would cause Mullen if he benched him, so that's why I can understand both sides. Mullen can't bench a Senior record setter even though it would make more sense for our team this year....I get that. So my argument is not that Tyler should be benched.....but there is no doubt that it would make more sense for our team and the way it is set up.

Coach34
07-11-2013, 10:10 AM
I understand the love shown to Prescott here BUT - we have only seen him in short situations (goal line & first down) and on a very FEW drives after the game has been put away ...... we haven't seen him under pressure during a critical drive when the game is close ... so I think it's a little bit of a stretch to assume he would out perform Russell ...

This is actually a poor argument.

Because we have indeed seen Russell vs the Bama's, A&M's, and Ole Miss'- and it was awful

SilkyJohnson
07-11-2013, 10:12 AM
While I think the OL will be improved, in no way am I "optimistic" about this group. I like Day and love Jackson, but our OTs are not good. Unfortunately they play a rather important role. Just go look at the game tape of our losses. I understand they will be improved but they have no where to go but up. When your starting point is not good they could improve a lot and still get manhandled by SEC DLs.

To me OL was as big of a disappointment as the DL. We couldn't run block to save our lives. I hope to eat infinite proportions of crow after this year.

CadaverDawg
07-11-2013, 10:15 AM
While I think the OL will be improved, in no way am I "optimistic" about this group. I like Day and love Jackson, but our OTs are not good. Unfortunately they play a rather important role. Just go look at the game tape of our losses. I understand they will be improved but they have no where to go but up. When your starting point is not good they could improve a lot and still get manhandled by SEC DLs.

To me OL was as big of a disappointment as the DL. We couldn't run block to save our lives. I hope to eat infinite proportions of crow after this year.

We didn't give up hardly any sacks last year while having a statue for a QB AND no running game! How can you say our OT's are "not good"? Especially with another year of experience.

Coach34
07-11-2013, 10:19 AM

our run-blocking problems stemmed from our offensive scheme much more than it did the OL. That's the reason we are changing some things and adding some new sets- Russell is not mobile. And running the ball in the sets we ran last year did us no good because our QB was no threat to run the football.

Pollodawg
07-11-2013, 10:22 AM

We gave up the second fewest sacks in the conference last season. Just sayin'....

Pollodawg
07-11-2013, 10:23 AM

And I am not trying to jump all over you on your fist post. I was just pointing something out.

SilkyJohnson
07-11-2013, 10:26 AM
We gave up the second fewest sacks in the conference last season. Just sayin'....

Understand, but we also were 13th in rushing offense.

Also no offense taking. All in for a good discussion.

Goat Holder
07-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Another vote for this line of thinking comes from me.

Our fans need to really start thinking about what they can do to help Starkville. They need to start WANTING to give their money to Starkville businesses. We already have a good, progressive Mayor in place. More and more young people are staying there.

CadaverDawg
07-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Understand, but we also were 13th in rushing offense.

Because we ran an offense set up for a dual threat QB, but we did it with a statue passing QB.

Another reason why we need to get back to the Mullen offense, because our O-Line doesn't need to be going from scheme to scheme or they will never fully gel as a unit in either scheme.

But Silky, that says nothing about how good those OT's are when we were trying to run a spread option with a non threat to run at QB and a 175 LB tailback up the middle. That was all on the coaches and their scheme

The Croom Diaries
07-11-2013, 10:31 AM
The propaganda and feelings by portions of our fanbase just sux right now. Whether it's Sixpack, 247, and private boards you have people freaking out about recruiting rankings. A completely subjective ranking that does not take into account work ethic, heart, maturity, physical growth, etc....

Yesterday I posted the Top 150 for the NFL draft entering the season. We had 2 players on it- both were 3 star players. Perkins is also thought to be drafted- another 3-star. Russell is questionable right now as far as the draft is concerned- he can play his way in or certainly guarantee he wont be drafted during this season. Russell is a 4-star player.

We have a freak athlete playing MLB who was a Freshman AA last season- guess what? Another 3-star.

At the end of the day I think the feeling currently in our fanbase about all this boils down to the Mississippi inferiority complex. So many people simply buy whatever other people tell them. People say we have a bad recruiting class and Ole Miss is about to dominate us on and off the field - our fans buy it. I live in Georgia where people think Mississippi is just a long run of trailers and only the rich have electricity. I am not exaggerating by much. When I was at State everyone asked me why I would ever come to MSU when I was from a place like Atlanta. I was over here after I graduated college and had just taken a job in Jackson when someone said to me, "I feel sorry for you". But the thing is people in Jackson buy that BS. There is nothing wrong with anything in Mississippi - it is just as good as anything else. But Mississippians have this dumbass inferiority complex about how good they are. Have some confidence and quit letting folks run all over you.

engie
07-11-2013, 10:37 AM

Crazy to blame those losses on the OL -- when teams were pinning their ears back and bringing 5-6+ because our WRs couldn't get open quickly enough in press coverage -- and we were STILL one of the best pass blocking teams in the country. Naturally, when teams don't respect the throw and bring 5 or 6, you ALSO can't run the ball in those situations -- and that's not the OL's fault. Playcalling was the big issue with that. Should have used the TEs ALOT more -- and way more screens and short pass plays.

Remember how successful all the short slants to Bumphis were? Was literally our only pass play that developed quickly enough for teams that were bringing the house...

FISHDAWG
07-11-2013, 10:37 AM
maybe so but when I turn around and look back for many years I don't see the running game getting us anywhere near Atlanta except for 1999 .... maybe it's time to try a different approach .... also the "it's Russells time" remark had nothing to do with being a senior, he is the obvious best bet for us this year (imo) ... yeah, I understand it's more of an approach than more than a player thing but before we just write off the effort let's see what a pocket passing QB can do with what very well may be a better rcvg corp than most classes in the past

SilkyJohnson
07-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Because we ran an offense set up for a dual threat QB, but we did it with a statue passing QB.

Another reason why we need to get back to the Mullen offense, because our O-Line doesn't need to be going from scheme to scheme or they will never fully gel as a unit in either scheme.

But Silky, that says nothing about how good those OT's are when we were trying to run a spread option with a non threat to run at QB and a 175 LB tailback up the middle. That was all on the coaches and their scheme

Now I might concede, just a little here, with this argument. Can we expect better results this year if we are changing our offensive philosophy by putting Russell under center and running totally different sets? I hope so. I didn't see the spring game and haven't been to any practices so I don't know what or how much has changed. You guys tell me.

The Croom Diaries
07-11-2013, 10:39 AM
It's not "love for Dak" so that needs to be dismissed. It is a "need for a dual threat QB" that we are talking about. Everyone against the Dak stance tries to make it a Dak vs Tyler argument, but it's not. It's a passing QB vs a dual threat QB argument. The ENTIRE team is set up more to run the ball, and we are a better running team with a dual threat QB...it's not that hard.

And the "it's Russell's time" argument, is dumb. It should be about MSU's best chance to win. We shouldn't have to let someone start just because they are a Senior. Now, at the same time, I can see the problems it would cause Mullen if he benched him, so that's why I can understand both sides. Mullen can't bench a Senior record setter even though it would make more sense for our team this year....I get that. So my argument is not that Tyler should be benched.....but there is no doubt that it would make more sense for our team and the way it is set up.

I think the running QB thing with Mullen is overblown. It's like folks think Mullen cannot run an effective offense with a pocket QB. I think a mobile QB/running QB is definitely his niche, but that doesn't mean he is incapable of making things work with Russell in a way that is more beneficial to the offense than if we played Dak this year. I mentioned this in another thread but I was watching a 2006 florida game a few days ago and Chris Leak did not have any designed runs. He did move around a lot more in the pocket but he definitely wasn't a runner - and Mullen made that work to the tune of a national title. If Clausell and Siddoway can hold their blocks better this year I think Russell can keep his feet moving around the pocket more this year and it may help (I am kind of pulling this out of my ass though). But the taller receivers and hopefully quicker ones in Lewis and Holloway hopefully will create more options to throw to quickly and potentially for more yardage. I just don't think our offense is open and close better for an option QB. Really, with good TE, RB, veteran line, taller receivers and quick slot guys I think that is better for the pro-style. That's not to say we should run a pro-style because we will get killed against the big boys, but you see what I mean (hopefully).

Coach34
07-11-2013, 10:39 AM
What people are also doing is saying they have no faith in Mullen's redshirting program. They have no faith in what he has been building the last 4 years.

When you look at the roster and what we have to put on the field- it's hard to say we shouldnt win 6-8 games this year

engie
07-11-2013, 11:05 AM
The long and the short is that a whole bunch of our own people are setting themselves up to look like fools about halftime of the Ok State game right along with everyone else that's completely dismissing us. Just how I prefer it...

Of course, maybe they've got it right -- and I'm a fool. We'll see...

Will James
07-11-2013, 11:06 AM
The more I keep hearing or reading about this traditional offense we are planning on running, just scares the shit out of me.

It will be a lot better than the garbage I watched last year. I wanted to go with the LSU 2-wideout look last year with TE's. I hope thats what we see this year, the 2 and 3 wideout sets. Can we please draw off of Bama UGA and LSU on offense with Russell at QB

Goat Holder
07-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Many questions will be answered this fall. That's about all I know for certain.

CadaverDawg
07-11-2013, 11:44 AM
I think the running QB thing with Mullen is overblown. It's like folks think Mullen cannot run an effective offense with a pocket QB. I think a mobile QB/running QB is definitely his niche, but that doesn't mean he is incapable of making things work with Russell in a way that is more beneficial to the offense than if we played Dak this year. I mentioned this in another thread but I was watching a 2006 florida game a few days ago and Chris Leak did not have any designed runs. He did move around a lot more in the pocket but he definitely wasn't a runner - and Mullen made that work to the tune of a national title. If Clausell and Siddoway can hold their blocks better this year I think Russell can keep his feet moving around the pocket more this year and it may help (I am kind of pulling this out of my ass though). But the taller receivers and hopefully quicker ones in Lewis and Holloway hopefully will create more options to throw to quickly and potentially for more yardage. I just don't think our offense is open and close better for an option QB. Really, with good TE, RB, veteran line, taller receivers and quick slot guys I think that is better for the pro-style. That's not to say we should run a pro-style because we will get killed against the big boys, but you see what I mean (hopefully).

Wow, I'm a little surprised by this post.

First off, any comparison of Mississippi State and Florida is immediately thrown out by me. As soon as Mullen recruits 4-5 straight Top 5-10 classes in a row like Urban Myer did at Florida, let me know and we'll compare. To to act like Russell can have the success of Leak when Leak had nothing but 4-5 star WR's to throw to, 4-5 star OL blocking for him, etc, etc, is not a fair comparison.

If you want to base it on things we have actually seen from Mullen at MSU, that would be worth discussing. So when looking at that, Mullen has had a dual threat for two years and won a Gator Bowl with a 9 win team, and won a Music City Bowl with a 7 win team. With a passing QB, we went 8-4 which isn't bad, but it was against an extremely weak schedule and the offense looked absolutely pathetic against good teams. At least when Relf was QB we hung with good teams for the most part.

One thing that people don't realize is that our Relf Coast Offense WAS our niche that could get us to that next level. We will never have a Texas Tech style niche from the Leake years in MS because the QB and WR talent isn't in this State. But big O-Lineman and great RB's are here, as are great athletic dual threat QB's. to me it makes sense to cater to what Mullen does best AND what MS as a state produces best.

Nobody is saying that Mullen can't coach a passing offense at all, but he sure hasn't been good at it so far. And the comparison to Florida is just crazy in my opinion.

I don't think the "running QB thing with Mullen" is overblown at all based on actual evidence. In response to your 1 example of Leake as a passing QB (which as you said, he was still FAR better as a runner than Russell)....I give you Tebow, Alex Smith, Chris Relf, etc., as just a few of the dual threat guys that Mullen has produced with.

Homedawg
07-11-2013, 12:00 PM
We didn't give up hardly any sacks last year while having a statue for a QB AND no running game! How can you say our OT's are "not good"? Especially with another year of experience.

^this....ditto

Westdawg
07-11-2013, 12:08 PM
This is true, and is the other part of my argument for Dak. Now what happens if Tyler goes down? Does Dak have to learn this offense AND expect to be ready to run a Relf style offense next year? Isn't this going to make the learning curve tougher for every one of our QB's not named Russell? Is our O-Line going to go from a passing blocking scheme back to a run blocking scheme next year and still be as effective?

The overall learning curve for the entire team is now going to be much harder over the next year and why?...All so that we can suit the offense to Tyler for ONE season. It is not worth it, especially when you could probably get the same number of wins or more out of Dak. And heaven forbid we go 5-7 with Russell this year and all of that changing and learning curve trouble was done for NOTHING.

i could not disagree more. you go with what gives you the BEST chance to win RIGHT NOW. yes, it will be different for the offensive line and other personnel units to adapt to somewhat different schemes and play sets, but overall, this team has adequate talent to give reason to have tyler start over Dak. The fact that he has been in and performed well in high pressure games, as well as going through spring and summer workouts healthy while Dak has been injured guarantees that Tyler needs to be at the helm. I do believe that Dak is the future of the program....however, Tyler Russell is a really, really good QB. and I would not be shy to declare he is the best our school has ever had. Sure his footwork has some deficiencies but he gives the team its best chance at winning this year.

Pollodawg
07-11-2013, 12:09 PM

First off, any comparison of Mississippi State and Florida is immediately thrown out by me. As soon as Mullen recruits 4-5 straight Top 5-10 classes in a row like Urban Myer did at Florida, let me know and we'll compare. To to act like Russell can have the success of Leak when Leak had nothing but 4-5 star WR's to throw to, 4-5 star OL blocking for him, etc, etc, is not a fair comparison.

If you want to base it on things we have actually seen from Mullen at MSU, that would be worth discussing. So when looking at that, Mullen has had a dual threat for two years and won a Gator Bowl with a 9 win team, and won a Music City Bowl with a 7 win team. With a passing QB, we went 8-4 which isn't bad, but it was against an extremely weak schedule and the offense looked absolutely pathetic against good teams. At least when Relf was QB we hung with good teams for the most part.

One thing that people don't realize is that our Relf Coast Offense WAS our niche that could get us to that next level. We will never have a Texas Tech style niche from the Leake years in MS because the QB and WR talent isn't in this State. But big O-Lineman and great RB's are here, as are great athletic dual threat QB's. to me it makes sense to cater to what Mullen does best AND what MS as a state produces best.

Nobody is saying that Mullen can't coach a passing offense at all, but he sure hasn't been good at it so far. And the comparison to Florida is just crazy in my opinion.

I don't think the "running QB thing with Mullen" is overblown at all based on actual evidence. In response to your 1 example of Leake as a passing QB (which as you said, he was still FAR better as a runner than Russell)....I give you Tebow, Alex Smith, Chris Relf, etc., as just a few of the dual threat guys that Mullen has produced with.

This. Every offense has a niche. Ours was a running qb who throws just well enough to keep the D honest. We tend to lose sight of reality a lot as MSU fans when it comes to QBs. We see Tyler wing it out, and we are absolutely giddy. Why? Because we've never had that before.

But lets look at it. Mullen's 2010 team would have beaten this one up and down the field and blown NW out of the water.

CadaverDawg
07-11-2013, 12:15 PM
i could not disagree more. you go with what gives you the BEST chance to win RIGHT NOW. yes, it will be different for the offensive line and other personnel units to adapt to somewhat different schemes and play sets, but overall, this team has adequate talent to give reason to have tyler start over Dak. The fact that he has been in and performed well in high pressure games, as well as going through spring and summer workouts healthy while Dak has been injured guarantees that Tyler needs to be at the helm. I do believe that Dak is the future of the program....however, Tyler Russell is a really, really good QB. and I would not be shy to declare he is the best our school has ever had. Sure his footwork has some deficiencies but he gives the team its best chance at winning this year.

Are you kidding me? Like I said, if not for Dak's injury, he WOULD give us the best chance to win "right now". Especially since our only experience is at RB and OLine.

And please show me where Tyler "has performed well in high pressure games", because I must have missed those performances.

And again, nobody is saying Russell isn't good, nor that he is not one of our best ever....we are saying...I am saying, that he doesn't fit what Mullen does best and how this team and offense is currently designed, like a dual threat QB would. Again, it's not Dak vs Tyler, it's dual threat vs passing QB with no mobility. I continue to see your type post as the ONLY defense to my Dak argument, yet it doesn't even match my argument.

CadaverDawg
07-11-2013, 12:17 PM
This. Every offense has a niche. Ours was a running qb who throws just well enough to keep the D honest. We tend to lose sight of reality a lot as MSU fans when it comes to QBs. We see Tyler wing it out, and we are absolutely giddy. Why? Because we've never had that before.

But lets look at it. Mullen's 2010 team would have beaten this one up and down the field and blown NW out of the water.

Tremendous post. I agree 100%

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2013, 12:19 PM
What people are also doing is saying they have no faith in Mullen's redshirting program. They have no faith in what he has been building the last 4 years.

When you look at the roster and what we have to put on the field- it's hard to say we shouldnt win 6-8 games this year

Coach, its because the SEC is now a 24/7 365 days a year news story, and recruiting is the only thing that last year around. Winning games just isn't that much fun because, winning games only takes place 4 months out of the year. Recruiting is so much more fun because it last all year around.

You would have to be an idiot to think Mullen isn't doing things correctly. Its just that the SEC news cycle, in order to fill air time, blogs, and columns focuses on a bunch of shit that doesn't matter and builds a team's perception around those things that don't matter.

Big4Dawg
07-11-2013, 12:26 PM

I wouldn't even say 3*, i would put it like this:
Ballard - Troy
Banks - no offers
Slay - UK & Troy
Jackson - offers, but idk how legit. LSU, Auburn, OM.
McKinney - no offers

Coach34
07-11-2013, 12:30 PM

The 2010 offense also averaged about 25 more yards per game and was a full 10% better on 3rd down conversions- which of course helps keep the defense off the field

HancockCountyDog
07-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Are you kidding me? Like I said, if not for Dak's injury, he WOULD give us the best chance to win "right now". Especially since our only experience is at RB and OLine.

And please show me where Tyler "has performed well in high pressure games", because I must have missed those performances.

And again, nobody is saying Russell isn't good, nor that he is not one of our best ever....we are saying...I am saying, that he doesn't fit what Mullen does best and how this team and offense is currently designed, like a dual threat QB would. Again, it's not Dak vs Tyler, it's dual threat vs passing QB with no mobility. I continue to see your type post as the ONLY defense to my Dak argument, yet it doesn't even match my argument.

Im with you. I think with Russell at QB we can beat any team that is worse than us. Any team that is equal or better? Nope. Last year bore that out. Hell was I the only one watching the Troy game, its not like we walked all over them and we should have, the reason we couldn't is because we didn't have a running threat at QB and our offense simply wasn't as effective.

Our offense is at its best when we are a run first team. Putting Russell at QB makes us a pass first team in my opinion, the same way Relf made us a run first team. Now can we win 6 games with Russell at QB? Absolutely. Can we win 8? I don't think so. If Dak is playing as well as Relf from 2010, we can win 8, maybe more in my opinion, because it plays into our strengths: OL, RB and defense.

In order for Tyler to be successful, we will need monster jumps in progression for several talented but unproven WR's, I think that is a recipe for trouble.

CadaverDawg
07-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Im with you. I think with Russell at QB we can beat any team that is worse than us. Any team that is equal or better? Nope. Last year bore that out. Hell was I the only one watching the Troy game, its not like we walked all over them and we should have, the reason we couldn't is because we didn't have a running threat at QB and our offense simply wasn't as effective.

Our offense is at its best when we are a run first team. Putting Russell at QB makes us a pass first team in my opinion, the same way Relf made us a run first team. Now can we win 6 games with Russell at QB? Absolutely. Can we win 8? I don't think so. If Dak is playing as well as Relf from 2010, we can win 8, maybe more in my opinion, because it plays into our strengths: OL, RB and defense.

In order for Tyler to be successful, we will need monster jumps in progression for several talented but unproven WR's, I think that is a recipe for trouble.

Another great post. Couldnt agree more

Westdawg
07-11-2013, 12:41 PM

. a Music City Bowl with a 7 win team. With a passing QB, we went 8-4 which isn't bad, but it was against an extremely weak schedule and the offense looked absolutely pathetic against good teams. At least when Relf was QB we hung with good teams for the most part.

i have been around Hack and Coach34 on boards since 2007, and they can testify that I know this offense. I have been using it, and variations of it, since Meyer and Mullen were at Bowling Green and Utah. I remember first seeing it when Meyer and Co. got to Utah, and our staff jumped on it when we heard them speak on it at clinics and seeing their films. they didnt have "Florida talent" but they still showed that the system works. And don't say that it takes a Dak to run it efficiently. Alex Smith is more like Tyler Russell than Dak. Yes, A Newton or Tebow works to the total strengths of the system , but it is not the lynchpin . There has been two very obvious needs to be used the TE effectively in the passing game, and some in the running game, and you need a good FB/Hback to keep LBs honest. we did neither of those things correctly last year. From what I could tell watching games, I think Mullen allowed koenning to implement more of his style with Tyler as a true passer than using the system that Dan wants. From what I have heard about spring and summer workouts, i think we will see more of a return to what Dan has used throughout his career than what we saw last year.

Coach34
07-11-2013, 12:42 PM
And please show me where Tyler "has performed well in high pressure games", because I must have missed those performances..

Is there someone that actually believes this?

Tyler Russell in our losses last year:

vs Bama...15-30- 169 and a pick...Dak put our only points on the board 2nd offense vs 2nd D
vs A&M....19-30- 212...TD and a pick...we only had 2 first down until the mid-3rd Q
vs LSU...26-38-295...1 TD and 1 Pick-6...Dak also threw a TD
vs OM...18-33-268...1 TD and 2 picks...couldnt capitalize on 3 TO's defense gave us- Dak threw a garbage TD
vs NW....12-28-106...2 TD's and 4 picks- 1 Pick-6 and just a few yards shy of a 2nd

So, in the big games last year:

Russell- 90-159- 1,050 yards...5 TD's, 9 INT's, 2 Pick-6's and nearly a 3rd

FISHDAWG
07-11-2013, 12:42 PM
use Troy as an example for Russell but forget about La-Tech & UAB under Ralph ?

CadaverDawg
07-11-2013, 12:47 PM
use Troy as an example for Russell but forget about La-Tech & UAB under Ralph ?

Use UAB and La Tech, but forget he had broken ribs after Auburn.

HancockCountyDog
07-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Another great post. Couldnt agree more

Anyone that wants to eliminate the running threat from the QB in our offense and would rather force our OL to play pass protection against SEC defenses needs to go back and watch the second half of the ****ing egg bowl again, and realize that most of those damn sacks came when the bears just rushed 3 men.

Forcing our OL to play pass protection is simply harder and though I like our OT's, I don't like them nearly as much when they are trying to pass block SEC caliber DE's.

Our OL this year is as talented as the 2010 year. Our offense should be even more effective since we have been running it for 5 years as opposed to 2.

I don't want to figure out in the first half of the season that Russell simply isn't the answer, and then force Dak to play the rough second half of our schedule.

Im not saying we have to bench Russell completely, but I want to see Dak take at least 1/3 of the snaps. Tebow had 90 carries and 35 pass attempts in his first year at Florida. This is Dak's third year, last year he only ran it 32 times. We should at least triple that the same way Mullen did with Tebow in 2006.

Coach34
07-11-2013, 12:49 PM
bottom line:

We have a Sr QB that is a borderline draft pick and we are going to play him. We are supposedly making some changes to give him the best chance to be successful. Thats good coaching- dont force a square peg in a round hole like Crooms did for 5 years and wonder why it doesnt work.

We need to use Prescott also and do what we can to keep the chains moving. We have a veteran OL and good RB's- a good offensive plan can move the football and score enough to help our D win 6-8 games.

This season is very important for alot of reasons- bowl streak, overall perception of the program, putting rival back in their place, etc...I can't freaking wait until we get started

Will James
07-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Russell- 90-159- 1,050 yards...5 TD's, 9 INT's, 2 Pick-6's and nearly a 3rd

I posted this on SP last January

How about let's look at our losses. 2010 and 2012 both teams were 8-4 4-4. In 2010 our losses came against the National Champs, the best 3 loss team eva, the Sugar Bowl champs, and at LSU. No one could concieve 4 tougher teams to play, and in none of those games did we give up. 2012 losses came to the National Champs, a TAMU team with an explosive offense and attackable defense (Arkansas 2010), at LSU, and the Bears.

The National Champs cancel out, Arky and TAMU cancel out, at LSU cancels out, which leaves 2010 Alabama vs the 2012 Bears. 2010 WAY STRONGER! Here's the stats for those losses, as losses are where blame needs to go... Because they're losses.

2010 15.5 ppg 2012 16.2 ppg

2010 325 YPG 2012 313 YPG

2010 170 Rush ypg 2012 56 rush ypg

2010 31-68 3rd down conversions 46%
2012 10-46 3rd down conversions 22%

Also we averaged a full 4:00 less in TOP in 2012 losses than 2010

Defense was bad but our offense did not allow us to compete this season. 56 rushing yards per game against weaker opponents. 22% on 3rd down giving them the ball right back. This is why we got blasted in those games. Our offense could not do shit until garbage time, where yards come easy, and we STILL couldn't match the YPG from 2010 with Chris 17ing Relf at QB.

And why are we clamoring for Russell again? Like we're going to change anything. TR is not that great of a QB, these losses have proven that. It is not a stretch to say that Dak would give us a better chance of success.

Give me Dak. Give me 2010 all day with the actual threat of a pass unlike Relf and give me my hope of an upset on gameday vs the big boys.

Todd4State
07-11-2013, 12:50 PM
i have been around Hack and Coach34 on boards since 2007, and they can testify that I know this offense. I have been using it, and variations of it, since Meyer and Mullen were at Bowling Green and Utah. I remember first seeing it when Meyer and Co. got to Utah, and our staff jumped on it when we heard them speak on it at clinics and seeing their films. they didnt have "Florida talent" but they still showed that the system works. And don't say that it takes a Dak to run it efficiently. Alex Smith is more like Tyler Russell than Dak. Yes, A Newton or Tebow works to the total strengths of the system , but it is not the lynchpin . There has been two very obvious needs to be used the TE effectively in the passing game, and some in the running game, and you need a good FB/Hback to keep LBs honest. we did neither of those things correctly last year. From what I could tell watching games, I think Mullen allowed koenning to implement more of his style with Tyler as a true passer than using the system that Dan wants. From what I have heard about spring and summer workouts, i think we will see more of a return to what Dan has used throughout his career than what we saw last year.

For the love of God PLEASE be true.

CadaverDawg
07-11-2013, 12:51 PM

Again, Im just basing it off of facts and on field proof. Could it be goid with a passing QB? Maybe...but until we see that happen you can only conclude that it is best run with a dual threat.

It may work with a passing QB wherever you coach, but it aint working with one at MSU...and that's what we're discussing.

FISHDAWG
07-11-2013, 12:57 PM
and where was our defense in those same games ? (save LSU )

Will James
07-11-2013, 12:58 PM
and where was our defense in those same games ? (save LSU )

On the field

The Croom Diaries
07-11-2013, 01:07 PM

I did not compare us to Florida, not even close. I was just using the example of how Leak was a pocket passer and Mullen was able to run that offense effectively. I know they had better players than we did - so the difference is they win the national title and maybe we can go to a new year's day bowl game. We can run that '06 Florida offense and beat teams like OSU, Auburn, Arkansas and Ole Miss. Which, if we do, should put us in a great position as we would have a minimum of 8 wins.

I agree that the mobile QB is best. In no way do I think we should be recruiting another Tyler Russell...and we aren't. But we have Russell because Croom recruited him and it would be stupid to not take a player like that when he was already committed to you. Now for 2013 we need to find the best way to win. I think that is with Russell.

Coach34
07-11-2013, 01:09 PM
On the field

exactly

We had 2 first downs against A&M until about 9 mins left in the 3rd Q- I'm not sure why people blame the defense so damn much. We had the ball first- why couldnt we score and put the pressure on A&M?????

The Croom Diaries
07-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Again, Im just basing it off of facts and on field proof. Could it be goid with a passing QB? Maybe...but until we see that happen you can only conclude that it is best run with a dual threat.

It may work with a passing QB wherever you coach, but it aint working with one at MSU...and that's what we're discussing.

I think one thing that is not talked about enough are the holes our defense put us in last year. By playing the bend but don't break we were giving up all kinds of field position. We were starting deep in our own territory all the time. When you are pinned back the options if your playbook are limited. If you can start on the 35, 40 yard line you are able to open things up more. This year if Collins is aggressive and we don't play that philosophy on D the offense will be set up in more beneficial situations. That and if Dan is calling plays I think we'll do better as well.

I just don't think you can flat out say that a pocket passer cannot work at MSU under Mullen's system after just one year. We've had another entire offseason to work on things. Russell has another year of experience. The O-line is entirely back with the same QB and backfield. I just don't see why everyone thinks we will try to keep pushing the same buttons that didn't work last year. Mullen is not Croom. He is not that stubborn. When something doesn't work (Torbush, Wilson, etc) he gets rid of it.

engie
07-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Yes, Florida won with Leak -- but let's look at the big picture here:

2005(Leak) - 28.6 ppg, 146.8 ypg Rush, 245.3 ypg Pass, 392.1 ypg Total
2006(Leak and Tebow) - 29.7 ppg, 160 ypg Rush, 247.9 ypg Pass, 407.9 ypg Total
2007(Tebow) - 42.5 ppg, 200.2 ypg Rush, 257 ypg Pass, 457.2 ypg Total
2008(Tebow) - 43.6 ppg, 231.1 ypg Rush, 213.9 ypg Pass, 445 ypg Total

Their overall production jumped 13 ppg when Tebow took over full time. Hence why the Leak comparison is still a bad example...

HancockCountyDog
07-11-2013, 01:32 PM
I did not compare us to Florida, not even close. I was just using the example of how Leak was a pocket passer and Mullen was able to run that offense effectively. I know they had better players than we did - so the difference is they win the national title and maybe we can go to a new year's day bowl game. We can run that '06 Florida offense and beat teams like OSU, Auburn, Arkansas and Ole Miss. Which, if we do, should put us in a great position as we would have a minimum of 8 wins.

I agree that the mobile QB is best. In no way do I think we should be recruiting another Tyler Russell...and we aren't. But we have Russell because Croom recruited him and it would be stupid to not take a player like that when he was already committed to you. Now for 2013 we need to find the best way to win. I think that is with Russell.

Once Leak graduated, Florida's offense took off because Tebow was the perfect mix of Run really well, and pass just well enough.

I don't know why Mullen is changing the offense that has worked so well for him in the past to fit a QB that hasn't proven to be a program changer. Solid QB? Sure. Andrew Luck he isn't.

The Croom Diaries
07-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Once Leak graduated, Florida's offense took off because Tebow was the perfect mix of Run really well, and pass just well enough.

I don't know why Mullen is changing the offense that has worked so well for him in the past to fit a QB that hasn't proven to be a program changer. Solid QB? Sure. Andrew Luck he isn't.

I guess we'll see what happens this fall. I think Dak is the future but I'll place my bets on Russell this year, and Mullen to make the necessary adjustments for success. Hopefully Dak will see plenty of snaps as well. Above all else, I'd like to see the best leader be the starting quarterback. I don't know who that is, but I would have to assume it is the senior. I think leadership was a big problem last year, so I think it's a priority from our most important position.

PMDawg
07-11-2013, 02:09 PM

It's like coach said, a lot of it is on our play calling and scheming. It's pretty easy to be a run first team even with a QB like Russell. Too many college and pro teams to list prove this. We need to be run first, no matter who is QB. HOW we run the ball and accomplish that goal is the crux of the matter. If we are going to run one offense that is built around a running QB, then for God's sake play the mobile QB. If you are going to play the pocket passer, then change the damn scheme. It's the refusal to do one or the other that's killing us. And don't give me the "whole offense is tailored torun the spread" BS. We have the OL, RB, and WR to run either. ItThe main thing Mullen has done right so far is make sure we have a lot of versatile players on campus and we have a lot of quality depth. A lot.

Pollodawg
07-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Long story short, whoever the QB happens to be, we have got to run the ball better.

PMDawg
07-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Long story short, whoever the QB happens to be, we have got to run the ball better.

AMEN

The Croom Diaries
07-11-2013, 02:19 PM
I agree with that. We have a good variety of skill sets on offense. TE, experience and depth on OL, we have speedy slot guys, tall receivers, fast receivers, small tailbacks, big tailbacks. We have a pocket passer and a mobile QB. This should set us up with all kinds of plays we can run. Dan has never subscribed to a one QB system so I don't see why we can't see 60/70 Tyler and 30/40 Dak.

PMDawg
07-11-2013, 02:28 PM
I agree with that. We have a good variety of skill sets on offense. TE, experience and depth on OL, we have speedy slot guys, tall receivers, fast receivers, small tailbacks, big tailbacks. We have a pocket passer and a mobile QB. This should set us up with all kinds of plays we can run. Dan has never subscribed to a one QB system so I don't see why we can't see 60/70 Tyler and 30/40 Dak.

Well, I'm not really advocating a split because that's asking your offense to learn too much. I'm saying pick one and go with it full time and for real, instead of the half assed approach we saw last year. I just don't care which one they pick bc we have the players to be successful with either.

Pollodawg
07-11-2013, 02:32 PM
On short yardage and goal line, Dak would be an unstoppable combo with Perk or Jameon on the option. Dak is impressive enough to go up the gut himself. He runs to the center of the line, the secondary and LBS move over to stop him. Suddenly, he pitches the ball out to an all alone Jameon/Perk/Holloway who basically walks into the endzone. Defense can't get everyone. They cut off the pitchman, and Dak is strong enough to bull through on his own. They sell out to stop Dak, and leave the pitchman unguarded.

Pollodawg
07-11-2013, 02:37 PM
There's tons of things we could do. Run one of the speedsters Mullen has been compiling on a jet sweep. Let Jameon and Holloway run some misdirection. If you know Dak can't drill a dime at fifty yards, don;t ask him too. Let Rojo loose on an out rout--three step drop. Let our most physical play makers FIGHT for the ball. Rojo has the feet and the hands to make catches like that...

Todd4State
07-11-2013, 03:33 PM
I think one thing that is not talked about enough are the holes our defense put us in last year. By playing the bend but don't break we were giving up all kinds of field position. We were starting deep in our own territory all the time. When you are pinned back the options if your playbook are limited. If you can start on the 35, 40 yard line you are able to open things up more. This year if Collins is aggressive and we don't play that philosophy on D the offense will be set up in more beneficial situations. That and if Dan is calling plays I think we'll do better as well.

I just don't think you can flat out say that a pocket passer cannot work at MSU under Mullen's system after just one year. We've had another entire offseason to work on things. Russell has another year of experience. The O-line is entirely back with the same QB and backfield. I just don't see why everyone thinks we will try to keep pushing the same buttons that didn't work last year. Mullen is not Croom. He is not that stubborn. When something doesn't work (Torbush, Wilson, etc) he gets rid of it.

Not to mention it's hard for an offense to get in rhythm when they are sitting on the bench for 15-20 minutes real time.

archdog
07-12-2013, 08:41 AM

"can throw every route" Relf disagrees. Hell TR can't even consistently throw every route. That being said, I want TR to go out with a bang. Our receivers will be fine. Really don't know why people are bashing our receivers in the preseason. Wait till game 4 for that.