PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Post - Gold Cup Roster Changes

SignalToNoise
07-14-2015, 04:59 PM
Klinsmann has made three roster changes:

Damarcus Beasley in for Greg Garza
Alan Gordon in for Jozy Altidore
Joe Corona in for Alfredo Morales

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2015/07/14/11/33/150714-mnt-gold-cup-roster-change-rel

I know recently there was a thread where Altidore was discussed. While I don't have strong feelings about any of these changes I'm fine with seeing some one else get a shot over Altidore.

TheRef
07-14-2015, 05:42 PM
I'm okay with this...I'm perfectly okay with this.

RDawg90
07-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Another reason this is a completely useless, joke of a competition…. Roster changes? Really?

TheRef
07-14-2015, 07:09 PM
Another reason this is a completely useless, joke of a competition…. Roster changes? Really?

We get it....you don't like the Gold Cup.

RDawg90
07-14-2015, 08:55 PM
Also, could somebody please explain to me Klinnsman's love affair with people that have a ZERO % chance of impacting the next World Cup? Calling in Beasley? Really?

gtowndawg
07-14-2015, 09:20 PM
but I have to admit this line from the article is a bit strong...

The United States finished in first place in the 2015 Gold Cup ?Group of Death?

Group of death? Probably a strong choice of words there. World Cup last year group of death? Check. Gold Cup group of death? Not so much.

RDawg90
07-14-2015, 09:28 PM

Group of death? Probably a strong choice of words there. World Cup last year group of death? Check. Gold Cup group of death? Not so much.

US fans and media will try their absolute best to hype the competition… But the reality will never change, if you made a CONCACAF all-star team, they wouldn't qualify for a World Cup in Europe or South America.

TheRef
07-14-2015, 09:50 PM
Roderick MacNeil
@rodmacneil
#USMNT face tomorrow's winner of Guatemala-Cuba. If that game ends in a draw, U.S. gets El Salvador.*

smootness
07-15-2015, 07:07 AM
US fans and media will try their absolute best to hype the competition? But the reality will never change, if you made a CONCACAF all-star team, they wouldn't qualify for a World Cup in Europe or South America.

No one's hyping the competition, dude. The Gold Cup isn't a major tournament on the world stage. But it is a major tournament for the US.

It's like you think you're being a soccer snob and think everyone who pays attention to the Gold Cup is an idiot...but we all realize what the Gold Cup is. We still watch because we like to watch the US play soccer.

Sorry that seems to ruin you.

Statefan
07-15-2015, 10:13 AM

Relative to the Gold Cup it is.
We had the only group with 3 teams out of the top 6 that usually are in the last round of WC qualification (aka "the Hex").
Only group with more than one team in it from the last WC (Honduras).
Panama was in the 2013 Gold Cup finals

So for a GC it is a difficult group but a large part of that is also because we are in it

Statefan
07-15-2015, 10:16 AM
US fans and media will try their absolute best to hype the competition? But the reality will never change, if you made a CONCACAF all-star team, they wouldn't qualify for a World Cup in Europe or South America.

Anyone else remember 3/4 CONCACAF teams making the knock out stages last year?

USA > Portugal
Costa Rica > England and Italy
Mexico > Croatia

Nice try tho

War Machine Dawg
07-15-2015, 10:29 AM

STFU and cheer with the rest of us or get the hell out until the World Cup, since apparently that's the only international tournament that isn't a joke in your mind.

War Machine Dawg
07-15-2015, 10:33 AM
When is our first knockout round game? I didn't get to watch the Panama match.

Back on topic, apparently Altidore has a hamstring. Even if he didn't I'm fine with giving someone else a shot. Just wish Jordan Morris wasn't dealing with stress fractures. That kid looks like The Truth and has earned an opportunity. But I'm with Klinsmann, no need in risking it if he isn't healthy for a relatively minor tourney.

TheRef
07-15-2015, 10:39 AM
When is our first knockout round game? I didn't get to watch the Panama match.

Back on topic, apparently Altidore has a hamstring. Even if he didn't I'm fine with giving someone else a shot. Just wish Jordan Morris wasn't dealing with stress fractures. That kid looks like The Truth and has earned an opportunity. But I'm with Klinsmann, no need in risking it if he isn't healthy for a relatively minor tourney.

Monday in Baltimore. It will be either Cuba, Guatamala, or El Salvador.

Statefan
07-15-2015, 10:42 AM
I think we play again Saturday, most likely against Guatamala

TheRef
07-15-2015, 10:50 AM
I think we play again Saturday, most likely against Guatamala

You're right. It's Saturday. My bad.

War Machine Dawg
07-15-2015, 12:09 PM
You're right. It's Saturday. My bad.

Saturday at 4 on Fox? That's the only Gold Cup match on my guide, but it says Teams TBA. DTV apparently hasn't updated the guide.

TheRef
07-15-2015, 12:19 PM
Saturday at 4 on Fox? That's the only Gold Cup match on my guide, but it says Teams TBA. DTV apparently hasn't updated the guide.

Well it's USA v either Guatamala or Cuba, depending on which wins.

OurState
07-15-2015, 08:11 PM

False.

DudyDawg
07-15-2015, 10:37 PM
I'm fine with the changes. Complaining bc Beasley won't pay next WC is stupid cause neither will Garza. Guy blows. Jurgen has said time and again this is about winning this tournament nothing more. That's why guys like Beckerman and Wondo are there

RDawg90
07-15-2015, 10:52 PM
False.

Humor me, compile your Starting CONCACAF XI, and tell me which qualifying team from Europe/South America its better than.

Also, Klinnsman can put a lot of stock into this tournament if he wants, but again, at the end of the day it means nothing. However, it is a valuable opportunity to provide players with long term potential with a chance to play in a tournament setting. Having 32 year olds help you win the Gold Cup when they'll play next to no role in the World Cup process (qualifying or the finals) is pointless.

Intramural All-American
07-15-2015, 11:52 PM
Humor me, compile your Starting CONCACAF XI, and tell me which qualifying team from Europe/South America its better than.

Also, Klinnsman can put a lot of stock into this tournament if he wants, but again, at the end of the day it means nothing. However, it is a valuable opportunity to provide players with long term potential with a chance to play in a tournament setting. Having 32 year olds help you win the Gold Cup when they'll play next to no role in the World Cup process (qualifying or the finals) is pointless.

Heck we are better than Greece, Bosnia, Russia, and Ecuador on our own. You put our midfield with mexicos forwards and costa ricas defense and we would easily be top 10 in the world. But for your sake, chicharito, dos santos, Dempsey, Bradley, guardado, peralta, zelalem, duartes, yedlin, layun, Howard or Ochoa or navas would be a pretty nasty side. That doesn't even include Bryan Ruiz or Joel Campbell. You are an idiot. And basically what you are saying is USA soccer is only worth watching every 4 years because absolutely no other tournament matters. If that's how you feel, pick a European side to support, and get over yourself.

RDawg90
07-16-2015, 12:19 AM
Heck we are better than Greece, Bosnia, Russia, and Ecuador on our own. You put our midfield with mexicos forwards and costa ricas defense and we would easily be top 10 in the world. But for your sake, chicharito, dos santos, Dempsey, Bradley, guardado, peralta, zelalem, duartes, yedlin, layun, Howard or Ochoa or navas would be a pretty nasty side. That doesn't even include Bryan Ruiz or Joel Campbell. You are an idiot. And basically what you are saying is USA soccer is only worth watching every 4 years because absolutely no other tournament matters. If that's how you feel, pick a European side to support, and get over yourself.

Greece won has won a European championship in the past 15 years? Bosnia has Dzeko (City), Pjanic (Roma), Begovic (Chelsea), and about 10 other regulars that play in Europe's top 3 or 4 leagues. Russia topped a World Cup qualifying group two out of their last three tries, in addition to finishing 3rd in Euro 2008. Ecuador are certainly overachievers, I will give you that.

Intramural All-American
07-16-2015, 07:59 AM
Greece won has won a European championship in the past 15 years? Bosnia has Dzeko (City), Pjanic (Roma), Begovic (Chelsea), and about 10 other regulars that play in Europe's top 3 or 4 leagues. Russia topped a World Cup qualifying group two out of their last three tries, in addition to finishing 3rd in Euro 2008. Ecuador are certainly overachievers, I will give you that.

First off, way to totally disregard the rest of my post that made you look ignorant. Second, Dempsey, Bradley, jones and altidore just left top European leagues this past year to come home, and you are kidding yourself if you don't think they have the quality to still be there (altidore being the possible exception). Brooks, chandler, green, zelalem, yedlin, Howard, guzan, Johnson, and Cameron all play in the bundesliga or epl.

Also, Greece winning EURO 2004 means absolutely nothing for how good they are now.

Statefan
07-16-2015, 08:56 AM

The USA and Mexico have BOTH made it to the round of 16 the last two world cups (over some better known European and south American teams), yet you think an all star team amongst the both of them couldn't qualify?! Not to mention the CONCACAF teams cannot draw Asian teams in the WC so we have no easy group stage matches.

I'm not saying we have a Germany or Argentina in our confederation but your outlook is extremely dated

TheRef
07-16-2015, 12:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKDQz5sWsAA9cFO.png