PDA

View Full Version : McElroy calls out Chris Jones

CadaverDawg
07-14-2015, 11:55 AM
Says when he watches the film, Jones took too many plays off. Challenges Jones to play with a motor this year and maximize his potential.

I agree with him. And I'm glad he did it in a way of challenging Jones to get better instead of bashing him about it.

BeastMan
07-14-2015, 11:56 AM
Good

5 Star
07-14-2015, 11:58 AM
This is no secret. Mullen knows it as well, that's why he didn't start him last year even though he's the best we got. Hopefully the fact that this is a contract year will make him step up to the plate. He's already projected in mid-1st round so who knows if even that will motivate him.

shoeless joe
07-14-2015, 11:59 AM
Says when he watches the film, Jones took too many plays off. Challenges Jobes to play with a motor this year and maximize his potential.

I agree with him. And I'm glad he did it in a way of challenging Jones to get better instead of bashing him about it.

Agree 100%.

SEC network is fortunate to have McElroy. Can't say the same about their other "analysts".

CadaverDawg
07-14-2015, 11:59 AM
Other than that, they all think we lost "a ton" of talent. Dari says "they lost a TON, only 7 guys return!", smdh...these guys don't research shit. Then they discuss Jones' importance, yet he's not even one of their "7 returning starters". Just silly, And I like Dari.

They act like we will not be able to run the ball, and our season rests on Dak's arm. I disagree, we WILL run the ball.

They also question our D and all the losses. Including Collins as DC.

Thoughts?

Tbone
07-14-2015, 12:23 PM
That entire segment pissed me off. Everyone thinks we will suck. I am blown away.

State82
07-14-2015, 12:39 PM
As an aside to that, did anyone catch Brando on OOB yesterday? I caught the last minute or so when he ended the interview telling Bo, "Keep an eye on that game in Mississippi on September 5." Bo said, "MSU at USM??" Brando said, "I'm just telling you, keep an eye on it." Don't know if he was on a 3 day bender or what.

5 Star
07-14-2015, 12:40 PM
That entire segment pissed me off. Everyone thinks we will suck. I am blown away.
All the facts say we will suck. We really can't argue against the lost starters issue (even though we as fans know better). They will just call us biased. They also will say history isn't on our side.

The burden of proof is on us to prove them wrong.

5 Star
07-14-2015, 12:42 PM
As an aside to that, did anyone catch Brando on OOB yesterday? I caught the last minute or so when he ended the interview telling Bo, "Keep an eye on that game in Mississippi on September 5." Bo said, "MSU at USM??" Brando said, "I'm just telling you, keep an eye on it." Don't know if he was on a 3 day bender or what.
Brando is notoriously stupid with his predictions. Pay him no mind.

That being said, I do think they give us more of a game than we expect, but we'll still win 31-14 minimum. Our best football will be played in Week 2.

mstatefan91
07-14-2015, 12:45 PM
All the facts say we will suck. We really can't argue against the lost starters issue (even though we as fans know better). They will just call us biased. They also will say history isn't on our side.

The burden of proof is on us to prove them wrong.

That's the truth for every team going into the season (not necessarily the history part). Pre-season rankings, predictions, and discussion is on the reporters to do their research and go deeper than starters kept/lost.

Journalists look at stars by names and then they like to look at starters. Can't believe they get paid for so little work.

Dawgface
07-14-2015, 12:45 PM
Hopefully the players are listening. I don't mind seeing our guys playing with a chip on their sholders. Kinda like TCU has had over the last few years. Its taken sometime for them to gain respect.

messageboardsuperhero
07-14-2015, 12:47 PM

LOL

engie
07-14-2015, 12:50 PM
My question is "I hear all this about returning starters, etc -- but where specifically is MSU green"? That's where the reality starts to set in that although a lot of guys are gone -- a lot of guys are coming back.

mic
07-14-2015, 12:55 PM
maybe Chris took plays off maybe he didn't..
Maybe his motor wasn't there all the time last year...
But yes we need a huge year and he needs a big year if he wants to make that $$$$$ come draft time...

Quick stat before they all get down on their knees Thursday and praise the #1 ranked recruit in the country in 2013..

Jones
9 solo
17 assist
3.5 TFL
3 sacks

Nkdemechie
11 solo
24 assists
4 TFL
2 sacks

mic
07-14-2015, 12:59 PM
Another stat of the day....
All we hear is we will suck on defense and UMiss defense wil carry them

Against similar SEC foes including the egg bowl
We gave up 21 more points than that might defense did... Take the egg bowl out .. It was a single TD and extra point ..

FISHDAWG
07-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Brando is notoriously stupid with his predictions. Pay him no mind.

That being said, I do think they give us more of a game than we expect, but we'll still win 31-14 minimum. Our best football will be played in Week 2.

nothing will beat Kanell predicting Jackson State to beat us in our opener a couple years ago (or maybe it was that idiot that used to QB for Kentucky - can't remember his name)

Bothrops
07-14-2015, 01:05 PM
Chris Jones has more ability than Nkemdiche. He needs to show it much more often.

Bothrops
07-14-2015, 01:07 PM

Lol Wtf what? Ha wtf...

gtowndawg
07-14-2015, 01:24 PM
the bottom line is this, we have nothing to lose. If we are 6-6 for some crazy reason, that's what was expected. We did ok and go to a bowl in a "rebuilding" year after we lost "everyone"

If we do what we all think, we shock the world...again. Although I feel slighted, it's not a bad gig right now. We just have to put up with it for another two months is all.

Just This Once
07-14-2015, 01:26 PM
Another stat of the day....
All we hear is we will suck on defense and UMiss defense wil carry them

Against similar SEC foes including the egg bowl
We gave up 21 more points than that might defense did... Take the egg bowl out .. It was a single TD and extra point ..

I'm getting a difference of 10 points, but I'm taking out defensive TDs allowed. Not sure if you were?

But that's still only 6 games out of 13 total. In all games it is a difference of 81 points, which is pretty significant, particularly since the guys we will be counting on this season (the B-ees) gave up a good bit of those points last year.

I kind of fall in between the "GASP look at the starters they are losing" and the "well we have a ton of guys with experience" because while both are technically true, it is kind of a mix to find reality. The "returning starters" doesn't tell the whole story, but we are going to really need to see improvement (which I hope happens) from the B-Units.

Liverpooldawg
07-14-2015, 01:26 PM
We DO have a ton of question marks going into this season. To say we don't is just sticking your head in the sand. I think we have pretty good answers for most of them but you really don't know for sure to you see a competitive game.

Coach34
07-14-2015, 01:30 PM
If Southern Miss beats us Elitedawgs will shut down

Coach34
07-14-2015, 01:31 PM
We DO have a ton of question marks going into this season.

other than OL, DL depth, and Safety- what other questions?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-14-2015, 01:32 PM
We DO have a ton of question marks going into this season. To say we don't is just sticking your head in the sand. I think we have pretty good answers for most of them but you really don't know for sure to you see a competitive game.

I agree but the not starting argument is just lazy. Richie Brown & Kivon Coman didn't start but they were on the field for the goal line stand against LSU. Chris Jones didn't start but he was on the field to hit Nick Marshall's arm that caused the Justin Cox INT against Auburn. Will Redmond didn't start but he was on the field to get the game saving INT against Arkansas. I could go on & on. These guys weren't just getting garbage minutes they were on the field at hostile environments when the game mattered most. Do they have to get better of course but every team has guys who have to take a leap to get better. Why not us? 1 thing I can guarantee is that none of these new starters will be intimidated. They've been to all the hostile SEC venues, played in front of the largest crowds, & have silenced 100k screaming fans all over the southeast. They will be prepared & they will be ready.

mic
07-14-2015, 01:34 PM

So does every other team...
But we don't at the one position that matters the most..

BrunswickDawg
07-14-2015, 01:37 PM
I agree but the not starting argument is just lazy. Richie Brown & Kivon Coman didn't start but they were on the field for the goal line stand against LSU. Chris Jones didn't start but he was on the field to hit Nick Marshall's arm that caused the Justin Cox INT against Auburn. Will Redmond didn't start but he was on the field to get the game saving INT against Arkansas. I could go on & on. These guys weren't just getting garbage minutes they were on the field at hostile environments when the game mattered most. Do they have to get better of course but every team has guys who have to take a leap to get better. Why not us? 1 thing I can guarantee is that none of these new starters will be intimidated. They've been to all the hostile SEC venues, played in front of the largest crowds, & have silenced 100k screaming fans all over the southeast. They will be prepared & they will be ready.

http://www.adamdince.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/stone-cold.gif

Coach34
07-14-2015, 01:39 PM
Well, its all about Crootin rankings

State returns 4 starters on offense- Dakota is going to have to do it all says the media
Auburn returns 4 starters on O and has a new QB- media says Johnson is a Heisman candidate and Auburn is going to win the West

Apparently Auburn can do it- State cant

Liverpooldawg
07-14-2015, 01:39 PM
We don't have a game proven RB......yet. We have a lot of guys who have played quite a bit but have never had to be THE guy before. You never know for sure about that kind of move up. We don't have a FG kicker as far as we know. Add 34's three in for sure and that's 6 pretty weighty questions in a hurry. We have answers for most of those. At this point we don't have any real idea how good the answers are though. I THINK they will be good ones for the most part, but as the old saying goes: There I go thinking again. Time will tell.

FISHDAWG
07-14-2015, 01:49 PM
other than OL, DL depth, and Safety- what other questions?

kicking game, punt return, running game, and will we do another lousy fake punt again .... I hear the under /over is 1 on the fake punts

Coach34
07-14-2015, 01:59 PM
kicking game, punt return, running game, and will we do another lousy fake punt again .... I hear the under /over is 1 on the fake punts

Fred Ross returned punts to end last season
We have only had a bad run game in 1 season with Mullen- with Russell at QB. We will run the ball very well

Liverpooldawg
07-14-2015, 02:07 PM
We will run the ball well IF the offensive line can block for it and if we find a gamer at RB. I think we find the gamer/s. I'm not sold on the line yet. That's my biggest worry going in. The guys moving up have all played but the center hasn't played that position much, if at all. We don't have any idea about the chemistry yet. That is vital in the line.

Maroon_and_white
07-14-2015, 02:08 PM
Fred Ross returned punts to end last season
We have only had a bad run game in 1 season with Mullen- with Russell at QB. We will run the ball very well

Was that when LaDarius Perkins was our starting / primary RB? Ladarius was the worst starter at RB we've had in 20 years.

messageboardsuperhero
07-14-2015, 02:15 PM
We don't have a game proven RB......yet. We have a lot of guys who have played quite a bit but have never had to be THE guy before. You never know for sure about that kind of move up. We don't have a FG kicker as far as we know. Add 34's three in for sure and that's 6 pretty weighty questions in a hurry. We have answers for most of those. At this point we don't have any real idea how good the answers are though. I THINK they will be good ones for the most part, but as the old saying goes: There I go thinking again. Time will tell.

My concern at RB is about as close to zero as it could possibly be after losing a 1,200 yard rusher last year.

LC Dawg
07-14-2015, 02:17 PM

I understand people not giving us respect because that is common for us but this is just taking it to another level of stupidity. Do you think after we gang rape USM and hammer LSU that Brando predicts us to lose to Northwestern State in a letdown game?

Maroon_and_white
07-14-2015, 02:18 PM
My concern at RB is about as close to zero as it could possibly be after losing a 1,200 yard rusher last year.

I'll never be concerned at RB at MSU. I haven't in the last 20 years since I can first remember following State football and will continue that until consecutive seasons of bad RB play prove me otherwise

MetEdDawg
07-14-2015, 02:19 PM

When was the last time we had a bad RB or group of RBs? It just doesn't happen, especially now that we've really got our offense tuned in to the system Mullen is running. We've got system guys on the OL that have taken a lot of 2nd team reps together and who also have decent experience on 1st team in games. I mean Senior and Malone are legit starters, Clayborn has logged important minutes, Desper has logged important minutes. I just don't see a big OL drop off, which means I don't expect RB issues.

Between Shump, Lee, and Aeris, I think we will be fine. Add Dak and any wildcat rushing we do and I think our running game will be exactly what we need it to be.

BeardoMSU
07-14-2015, 02:19 PM
McElroy just said Dak didn't do much against GaTech.....4tds and 500 total yards....nope, not much****

Jack Lambert
07-14-2015, 02:23 PM

Since Mullen has been at State he has only had one season that we did not have a 1000 yard rusher and that year he had one with over 900. How many years has Ole Miss had without a 1000 yard rusher? We have a proven running game year in and year out. Our spread offense opens that up. In which it is design to do.

I think one of the RB will move ahead of the others and reach 1000 yards.

ShotgunDawg
07-14-2015, 02:24 PM
You guys took the Brando comment uncomfortably out of context. He was saying "watch out for the USM game" in reference to him POTENTIALLY calling the game, not in analysis of the game.

Stuff like this makes us look stupid.

Jack Lambert
07-14-2015, 02:34 PM
The other guy asked Dak why the Bow Tie. Dak said he got it at a local store in Starkville. I wonder how many investigators have been hired by Ole Miss boosters the past hour to see if Dak actually bought the tie.

dawgs
07-14-2015, 02:38 PM

But every team has a bunch of questions marks. That's how the offseason works. My issue is how other team's questions marks are brushed aside, while ours are blown vastly out of proportion.

archdog
07-14-2015, 02:39 PM
McElroy just said Dak didn't do much against GaTech.....4tds and 500 total yards....nope, not much****

Our defense didn't do much against GT. Dak was not the issue in that game. I would love to see the number of defensive players out of position and missed tackles for that game. Reminded me of Alabama the past 4 years in the first half. Just totally out of sync on defense.

dawgs
07-14-2015, 02:39 PM

Fred Ross was our #2 receiver and isn't a "returning starter".

starkvegasdawg
07-14-2015, 02:40 PM
The other guy asked Dak why the Bow Tie. Dak said he got it at a local store in Starkville. I wonder how many investigators have been hired by Ole Miss boosters the past hour to see if Dak actually bought the tie.

Xenareb just bought the Oxford Walgreens out of condoms and KY.

dawgs
07-14-2015, 02:41 PM
Our defense didn't do much against GT. Dak was not the issue in that game. I would love to see the number of defensive players out of position and missed tackles for that game. Reminded me of Alabama the past 4 years in the first half. Just totally out of sync on defense.

Playing a triple option team requires consistency and prep. Our defensive staff was all out of sorts with Collins heading to Florida, so we didn't get the consistency or prep we needed.

LC Dawg
07-14-2015, 02:41 PM
If Dak stays healthy we will have one of the best offenses in the history of the SEC. That shouldn't be that hard to figure out even for someone named Booger
We have a pair of NFL corners. We could start 3 of our linebackers who have not played a down for us and be decent, that's how deep we are there. We have an NFL player coming off the end, two NFL players in the middle, and I believe we'll find some DL depth. So we really just need to shore up the safety position.
I hope our players and coaches remind all the SEC network guys of their preseason thoughts on Mississippi State when we're ranked #1 again and they are calling for interviews.

messageboardsuperhero
07-14-2015, 02:55 PM
Fred Ross was our #2 receiver and isn't a "returning starter".

Will Redmond is the best senior CB in America and wasn't a starter last year.
Kivon Coman wasn't a starter but was our best safety at the end of the season.
Richie Brown wasn't a starter but has played plenty and won and SEC defensive player of the week.
Chris Jones wasn't a starter, but he'll be a 1st rounder in 10 months.
AJ Jefferson wasn't a starter but is a stud.
You already mentioned Fred Ross, who was coming off the bench for RoJo (our 7th or 8th leading receiver).
Devon Desper isn't listed as a starter but has started SEC games for us and played well.
Jamal Clayborne isn't a returning starter but has played a bunch of meaningful snaps and will be a stud.
Gabe Myles didn't start last year but made every bit the impact that Jameon did.

I've said this before, but the main players we will miss next year are Matt Wells, MoJo, and Preston Smith. I feel good about our replacements everywhere else- and in a lot of cases, those "replacements" played more meaningful snaps in crunch time than the guys starting in front of them.

Maroonthirteen
07-14-2015, 03:05 PM
Yeah, defense is my biggest concern. We will be fine on offense. Probably really good offensively. However, we were terrible vs OM and GT on defense. I don't buy "Collins leaving..." excuse or the "...playing against an option offense..." excuse either. We just didn't have enough players that stepped up, defeated their blocks and made tackles. We really need players to step up and become playmakers at LB and Safety. Badly......

dawgs
07-14-2015, 03:16 PM
I've said this before, but the main players we will miss next year are Matt Wells, MoJo, and Preston Smith. I feel good about our replacements everywhere else- and in a lot of cases, those "replacements" played more meaningful snaps in crunch time than the guys starting in front of them.

Matt wells is my biggest concern. Though change in DCs might offset his loss a bit if Jackson/Jung/gray/whoever ends up in his spot isn't required to do everything he did there.

archdog
07-14-2015, 03:25 PM
Matt wells is my biggest concern. Though change in DCs might offset his loss a bit if Jackson/Jung/gray/whoever ends up in his spot isn't required to do everything he did there.

Matt Wells was probably our biggest loss on that side of the ball. Him or Preston Smith. Sometimes I thought we asked him to do too much though.

engie
07-14-2015, 03:28 PM

We did not have a DC in that game.

How many defensive games were we out of position and outcoached in in 2010?

mic
07-14-2015, 03:29 PM
Yeah, defense is my biggest concern. We will be fine on offense. Probably really good offensively. However, we were terrible vs OM and GT on defense. I don't buy "Collins leaving..." excuse or the "...playing against an option offense..." excuse either. We just didn't have enough players that stepped up, defeated their blocks and made tackles. We really need players to step up and become playmakers at LB and Safety. Badly......

I think Collins checked out mid season... And not too sure the chemistry was there between he and Dan.. That's a big deal..
Playmakers at LB?.. We have the best LB core top to bottom we since the days of JWS.. Matty will be the biggest replacement from last years LB.
Saftey position will be better than last year.. Losing Cox really hurt and it showed.. Having Redmond starting and playing more along side Calhoun will help the safety play out.. Plus getting Giles back will also help.

I seen it dawg
07-14-2015, 04:46 PM

Same guy that told me in the Shreveport airport week of the game that Texas AM was way to tough for us to stop and would beat us last year. We couldn't play with them. We see how that turned out....

I seen it dawg
07-14-2015, 04:47 PM

He probably meant we would challenge the all time record for beating the shit out of another team.

Dawgcentral
07-14-2015, 06:07 PM
Like others, I'm not overly concerned about our offensive production. We're going to get yards and score points like we never have.
Defensively we have the personnel, and it's going to be on Diaz to make it happen. His D got more turnovers than any other team last year because he had the guys in position to make the plays.

dawgwood
07-14-2015, 06:41 PM
We rotate our front seven through out every game. Our second unit bailed the first out at times so we are experienced.

dawgwood
07-14-2015, 06:46 PM
We rotate our front seven through out every game. Our second unit bailed the first out at times so we are experienced.

SDDawg
07-14-2015, 07:06 PM
The media has won, I am now convinced that we will only win 5 games. We are DOOMED. **

PS- Please post to the bulletin board, Dan. **********************************

I seen it dawg
07-14-2015, 07:27 PM
34 made a good synopsis of Jones...he can either decide to be a millionaire DT or a CFL DE

War Machine Dawg
07-15-2015, 10:25 AM
I didn't get to see any of the coverage yesterday, other than Dan's appearance with PAWWWWWWWWWL, but I managed to DVR the replay. Just saw that segment with the panel. Morons. The double standard and cluelessness is breathtaking.

Something I haven't seen anyone else mention is McElroy saying Tubby Lewis is a big loss. Tubby played in all of 4-5 games last season, and other than the TD at LSU, didn't really do shit. In fact, our offense got worse when he came back from injury. Honestly, Gabe Myles was way more effective and dynamic last season. And he's flying wayyyyyyy under the radar in the WR discussion this offseason.

CadaverDawg
07-15-2015, 10:31 AM
I didn't get to see any of the coverage yesterday, other than Dan's appearance with PAWWWWWWWWWL, but I managed to DVR the replay. Just saw that segment with the panel. Morons. The double standard and cluelessness is breathtaking.

Something I haven't seen anyone else mention is McElroy saying Tubby Lewis is a big loss. Tubby played in all of 4-5 games last season, and other than the TD at LSU, didn't really do shit. In fact, our offense got worse when he came back from injury. Honestly, Gabe Myles was way more effective and dynamic last season. And he's flying wayyyyyyy under the radar in the WR discussion this offseason.

Totally agree. As much as I liked Tubby, our slot position just got 10x better with his departure, because we add Ross, Myles, and maybe Gray some in the slot (but I think Gray is outside primarily). Tubby was hard to catch in a phone booth because he had quick moves, but he was not very fast straight line, so while he could shake people he couldn't make them pay by outrunning them.

Coach34
07-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Ross is also a bigger target so he is easier to throw to in the middle of the field

engie
07-15-2015, 10:40 AM
"They just don't have the players -- lost too much"...

Last season, a 5th yr senior was listed as starter at right tackle. He went down with an ACL injury in camp, which "they" said would dabilitate us. Now, that same exact player applied for and got a 6th year, came back, and is our #5 or #6 overall tackle not even listed on the 2-deep. We signed the #1 JUCO OT which was incredibly highly recruited and there is talk of him redshirting as he is unlikely to start at this point. But we are going to struggle on the OL. Righttttt.

QB need not address.

Last season, we were going to struggle to run the ball because we lost LeDarius Perkins and Milton transferred out. We didn't have anything to fill that hole left even though we saw in games that Robinson was better than Perkins. Now that Robinson is gone, a team that hasn't struggled to run the ball in 30 years and just had arguably it's best RB recruiting class ever(NONE of which are expected to play) is going to struggle to run the ball. See previous note on the OL. Rightttt.

They can't replace RoJo and Tubby at WR. Yeah -- those guys caught a grand total of 46 of the 261 passes MSU receivers caught last year. But starters**. The #1 JUCO WR which was highly recruited in his own right and called the best athlete in Tennessee out of HS by Barton Simmonds still can't crack the starting lineup. But I'm sure we will struggle at the spot.

TE -- Got me. We might not be great here.

The #1 HS MLB and #1 HS S are nowhere to be found on this depth chart after a couple of months on campus. Reuben Foster -- Tony Conner -- those were reasons those defenses wouldn't take steps back and would continue to be great. At MSU -- where they aren't day 1 starters -- they are reasons the defense is going to suck...

engie
07-15-2015, 10:42 AM
Totally agree. As much as I liked Tubby, our slit position just got 10x better with his departure, because we add Ross, Myles, and maybe Gray some in the slot (but I think Gray is outside primarily). Tubby was hard to catch in a phone booth because he had quick moves, but he was not very fast straight line, so while he could shake people he couldn't make them pay by outrunning them.

And Dear. He's the one that's going to shock people. Him getting fat and out of shape and being injured in HS worked tremendously in our favor with people not really seeing what's coming from him.