PDA

View Full Version : Richie makes Butkus watch list...No Benny?

CadaverDawg
07-14-2015, 11:08 AM
I know these are watch lists, but does anybody watch games or research anymore?

Redmond not on Thorpe list
Benny not on Butkus list

MetEdDawg
07-14-2015, 11:18 AM
Richie has name recognition from his TAMU performance and SEC Defensive Player of the Week award. But I think we all know Benny is the guy that makes it all go. He calls the checks, he positions guys, and he will ultimately be the leader on the field.

But I think both are primed to be a nasty 1-2 punch from the LB position. With Manny's style, I think they could end up with 200+ tackles between them.

engie
07-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Why is our snubs in preseason awards season bothering me so much more this year than it has in the past? It's pissing me off. This is just as ridiculous as the Redmond snub.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-14-2015, 11:51 AM
Wouldn't shock me at all if Richie led the team in tackles. In fact I'm almost expecting it.

shoeless joe
07-14-2015, 11:56 AM
Wouldn't shock me at all if Richie led the team in tackles. In fact I'm almost expecting it.

Agreed.

Typically I am skeptical of the white linebacker hype but this guy is good. I understand fully what Benny brings and he is a huge key to our success but Richie should be in in just about everything.

engie
07-14-2015, 11:58 AM

I'd be surprised.

Among our starting linebacker corps, he's the guy with the most viable backup who is going to play a ton. I think Beni leads us and I don't think it's very close...

CadaverDawg
07-14-2015, 12:01 PM
Why is our snubs in preseason awards season bothering me so much more this year than it has in the past? It's pissing me off. This is just as ridiculous as the Redmond snub.

I'm with you, engie.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-14-2015, 12:06 PM
I'd be surprised.

Among our starting linebacker corps, he's the guy with the most viable backup who is going to play a ton. I think Beni leads us and I don't think it's very close...

He wasn't too far from Beni last year & he's going to play a lot more this year. Beni had 62tkls Richie had 50tkls. Richie has a nose for the ball that is very rare. Not to say that he's our best LB bc that's Beni but I think Richie will lead us in tackles.

Dawg496
07-14-2015, 12:18 PM
Another non starter getting big time recognition.

Johnson85
07-14-2015, 12:43 PM

This is more ridiculous than the Redmond snub. You can at least make the argument that the THorpe is a career award, and even last year Redmond was on the bench way more than most starters at CB. I can understand them missing him, although you'd think they'd at least look at the draft projections to make sure they aren't doing something stupid.

I don't understand how you could find Richie and miss B. Brown. Besides the fact that they are twin brothers playing on the same team, B. Brown either has tourettes in sign language or was doing a ton of qb'ing last year for the D. I can't come up with an explanation other than they looked through the SEC defensive players of the week to generate part of their list and/or just completely discounted B. Brown b/c of his tackles total, without any consideration of how many plays he was on the field.

ETA: Obviously RB had a good year last year and he certainly could end up being better than BB after it's said and done this year, but I just find it odd that RB would make the cut and BB wouldn't.

SheltonChoked
07-14-2015, 12:50 PM
They cannot get the name of the university right, and you expect people to be able to tell Richie from Benny? I'm impressed it wasn't Fred nominated.

BankerDog
07-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Mullen has told Richie Brown he expects to not have him after this year, thinks he'll leave early and be a 1st or 2nd round pick. That is coming from guy's on the team. We shall see.

Coach34
07-14-2015, 01:49 PM
Richie is just as smart as Bennie on the field. Those two football I.Q.'s are off the charts. Alignment, recognition, checks will be as good as anybody's. I expect these two playing together will be as good as we have had at State since Cooks and that group

msstate7
07-14-2015, 02:14 PM
If they top wright and white, I'll be very surprised, but elated

Jack Lambert
07-14-2015, 03:51 PM
Richie has name recognition from his TAMU performance and SEC Defensive Player of the Week award. But I think we all know Benny is the guy that makes it all go. He calls the checks, he positions guys, and he will ultimately be the leader on the field.

But I think both are primed to be a nasty 1-2 punch from the LB position. With Manny's style, I think they could end up with 200+ tackles between them.

I would love to have Wells back at LB with Manny's style. I don't think they could ever block him if he blitz.

archdog
07-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Richie wasn't even a starter last year.