PDA

View Full Version : Mike Detiller say

ShotgunDawg
07-14-2015, 08:49 AM
When meeting with Dak last week, it was extremely apparent that Dak has slimmed up and no longer looks like a fullback.

This tells me what we already know:

Dak won't be running has many dives year and we will use our outstanding receiving core.

This also likely makes Dak a little quicker, gives him more ability to manipulate the pocket, and possibly make more big plays in the scramble game.

Any thoughts?

FlabLoser
07-14-2015, 09:17 AM
I doubt MD knows what he is talking about. I don't know if Dak has gotten leaner or not, but he certainly wasn't carrying dead weight last year.

Coach34
07-14-2015, 09:26 AM
Dakota is going to run the ball 175 times this year come Hell or high water

ShotgunDawg
07-14-2015, 09:29 AM
I doubt MD knows what he is talking about. I don't know if Dak has gotten leaner or not, but he certainly wasn't carrying dead weight last year.

Has nothing to do with dead weight. The more bulky you are, typically the more stiff you get and restricted, particularly for QBs and pitchers in their throwing motion. It also takes away a little bit of your lateral quickness.

There is a reason that most NFL QBs are lean and athletic rather than bulky and athletic.

msstate7
07-14-2015, 09:30 AM

I just hope a nice % of those runs are unplanned. When plays break down, dak's running is more effective than those dives on 3rd and short

MetEdDawg
07-14-2015, 09:32 AM

I just don't understand this. I understand it's part of the offense and it's a necessary component, but to me at times last year it went beyond necessary component and we seemed totally dependent on it in short down situations.

3rd and short should be a can of worms for us and it really wasn't last year. We've got Dak, Shump, Lee, Aeris, Bear, Fred Ross, Fred Brown, Morrow, Myles, and a few others. The possibilities are endless. We should be able to beat defenses in those scenarios without solely relying on Dak in my opinion with all of that in our arsenal.

CadaverDawg
07-14-2015, 09:37 AM
I just hope a nice % of those runs are unplanned. When plays break down, dak's running is more effective than those dives on 3rd and short

Totally agree. I'd like to see less planned QB runs than last year, but more runs where Dak takes off instead of throwing it because he has 20 yards of green in front of him.

I've always thought Dak is more dangerous using his legs in the passing game than in the designed run game. He's good at both though.

But coach is right, he will carry it a ton this year either way, because that's a huge part of our offense. Hell, even 80% of our pass plays have a play action element where Dak takes the jab step...if he isn't running it a lot, that makes that play action ineffective. Our QB's will run the ball a lot under Dan, and I'm fine with that...especially now that we've got a stable of QB's with talent.

Coach34
07-14-2015, 09:39 AM
I'm not disagreeing that we ran him too much at times. But he is going to have games of 20+ carries. That's just how our offense works.

ckDOG
07-14-2015, 09:44 AM
I'm not disagreeing that we ran him too much at times. But he is going to have games of 20+ carries. That's just how our offense works.

Yep. QB a running threat is how get a +1 in other parts of the field. Basic math. Dak could be leaner, but he's probably still strong as an Ox and will be expected to lower his hat and grind it out every big game.

jalakin
07-14-2015, 09:57 AM

This led to him getting hurt in 2013 and he started to look a little slower and hobbled toward the end of last year. There has to be a way to run it better and help avoid Dak getting beat up to much.

MetEdDawg
07-14-2015, 09:58 AM

No I know you aren't disagreeing but I just don't understand the philosophy of that kind of use, especially in a game where it hasn't worked. Case and point was the Alabama game. That to me was gross mismanagement of our offense. Seemed like after the safety Mullen just didn't trust J Rob.

I think pound for pound Dak is the best QB to ever run the Mullen system. But I feel like he goes to that well too much and I think most on here would agree with that. I would be fine with 10 runs a game from him with maybe 1/3 of those as broken passes where he takes off. But we've got a lot in the cupboard in terms of weapons. Dak's a playmaker, but he's not the only one and I think we can keep defenses off balance by not letting them key solely on Dak. Got to spread the wealth.

Johnson85
07-14-2015, 10:11 AM

Just as long as that's Bama, Auburn, and UM and not UAB or UK, that's fine. I know you have to run your offense every game, but with the receivers we have, I'd really like for us to be able to move the ball without relying much on Dak's running in most of our games. This is providing our OL provides good enough protection that going back for a pass doesn't put Dak at more risk than running the ball does.

CadaverDawg
07-14-2015, 10:11 AM
This led to him getting hurt in 2013 and he started to look a little slower and hobbled toward the end of last year. There has to be a way to run it better and help avoid Dak getting beat up to much.

It also led to a 10-2 record. That's our system, and that running is not only effective by itself....it is also a catalyst for our passing attack because people have to account for Dak as a run threat on every play. So yes, it puts him at risk of getting hurt...but without it, we're 7-5 last year or worse and Dak is nowhere near a Heisman candidate. Same for Tebow, and several others. You can't take away a system's strength, and a QB's greatest asset, out of fear of injury.

Georgia could say the same thing about handing it to their tailbacks so much....they had several injuries, and were putting them at risk a lot. But just like Georgia had Gurley, Marshall, AND Chubb....we have to make sure we have Dak, Fitz, Staley, Williams, and Tiano. In other words...if that's our system, run the QB, but make sure you have tons of depth.

I see what you're saying though. But our identity is what it is.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-14-2015, 10:21 AM
No I know you aren't disagreeing but I just don't understand the philosophy of that kind of use, especially in a game where it hasn't worked. Case and point was the Alabama game. That to me was gross mismanagement of our offense. Seemed like after the safety Mullen just didn't trust J Rob.

I think pound for pound Dak is the best QB to ever run the Mullen system. But I feel like he goes to that well too much and I think most on here would agree with that. I would be fine with 10 runs a game from him with maybe 1/3 of those as broken passes where he takes off. But we've got a lot in the cupboard in terms of weapons. Dak's a playmaker, but he's not the only one and I think we can keep defenses off balance by not letting them key solely on Dak. Got to spread the wealth.

Dan & Urban did the same thing with Tebow. It's just hard to take the ball out of the hands of your best player.

Tebow Rushing Attempts

Fr - 89
So - 210
Jr - 176
Sr - 217

Dak Rushing Attempts

Fr - 32
So - 134
Jr - 210

Florida had way more talent than we do & Tebow was still the bell cow.

jalakin
07-14-2015, 10:26 AM
It also led to a 10-2 record. That's our system, and that running is not only effective by itself....it is also a catalyst for our passing attack because people have to account for Dak as a run threat on every play. So yes, it puts him at risk of getting hurt...but without it, we're 7-5 last year or worse and Dak is nowhere near a Heisman candidate. Same for Tebow, and several others. You can't take away a system's strength, and a QB's greatest asset, out of fear of injury.

Georgia could say the same thing about handing it to their tailbacks so much....they had several injuries, and were putting them at risk a lot. But just like Georgia had Gurley, Marshall, AND Chubb....we have to make sure we have Dak, Fitz, Staley, Williams, and Tiano. In other words...if that's our system, run the QB, but make sure you have tons of depth.

I see what you're saying though. But our identity is what it is.

I'm not saying don't run him, I just think there can be more effective ways of utilizing his running ability. First of all reduce the number of dives Dak runs, since he takes the most punishment and secondly roll him outside of the pocket where he can run up field, to the out of bounds, or pull up and pass over the defense that is collapsing down on him. This also make the defense spread out more and become more susceptible to the running back taking it up the middle since there will need to be a roving LBer or safety watching Dak. Those are just my thoughts.

fishwater99
07-14-2015, 10:30 AM

I just hope that we don't try to run him up the middle right at an overloaded DL...

DancingRabbit
07-14-2015, 10:52 AM
I think some of the problem was Dak calling his own number on the option too much, more so in the Bama and UM games. What killed us in the Bama game were the 3 INTs and the defense not getting a stop on a couple of crucial 3rd and longs.

Dak rushes by game.

Southern Mississippi 8
UAB 18
South Alabama 14
LSU 22
Texas A&M 23
Auburn 21
Kentucky 18
Arkansas 13
Tennessee-Martin 6
Alabama 22
Vanderbilt 6
Ole Miss 24
Georgia Tech 16

Bothrops
07-14-2015, 10:52 AM
Dak will need to run A LOT vs LSU, he's not going to be able to just stand in the pocket and hit receivers all night. Once he uses his legs to escape, the defense becomes discombobulated and receivers will find space. If he trys to use his arm too much from the pocket we won't win that game.

CadaverDawg
07-14-2015, 11:26 AM
I think some of the problem was Dak calling his own number on the option too much, more so in the Bama and UM games. What killed us in the Bama game were the 3 INTs and the defense not getting a stop on a couple of crucial 3rd and longs.

Dak rushes by game.

Southern Mississippi 8
UAB 18
South Alabama 14
LSU 22
Texas A&M 23
Auburn 21
Kentucky 18
Arkansas 13
Tennessee-Martin 6
Alabama 22
Vanderbilt 6
Ole Miss 24
Georgia Tech 16

Speaking of the option....

Why did our option play turn into a guy coming unblocked off the edge and Dak having to immediately pitch it to JRob? Remember the Relf option? Some of those option plays would extend way outside to where Relf had the option to keep or pitch...but our "new" option is one where Dak has to pitch right away or he will get blown up by an unblocked guy. Anyone else notice that?

CadaverDawg
07-14-2015, 11:35 AM
This is how every one of our options look now.... (First play of these highlights)

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=400548377

Don't get me wrong, it's still effective...but Dak rarely gets the actual option of running anymore. Is it a missed assignment, or just the D making their choice to take Dak instead of the pitch man?