PDA

View Full Version : Anybody done an Arkansas trout trip?

BeastMan
07-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Any recs on outfits or anything in general I should know? I'm interested in putting one of these trips together. I know nothing of freshwater trout fishing. What are good times of the year? Spring or fall any good?

Uncle Ruckus
07-15-2015, 09:36 PM
I was going in the summer of '08 while at State. The day before we were leaving I slit my foot in half and got 50+ staples. Needless to say wading in the white river wasn't going to happen.

7dawg
07-19-2015, 06:58 AM
Norfork Trout Dock - google it. Location, where White River and Norfork intersect. You can catch them anytime of the year, I have only been in late summer. You can rent boats with or without guides. Guides are mostly going to bait fish. Being a devout bass fisherman, I am a caster and can catch 20-30 every morning. You can catch em fly fishing too of course. Mostly us inline spinners (mepps, rooster tail, and panther martin) and Rapalas.

If you are going multiple days, it may be wise to get a guide on the fist day, then go it alone the rest of the time. I have fished the White at Cotter, AR and fished the Little Red. Norfork was by far the best for me.

State82
07-19-2015, 10:03 AM
Red River Trout Dock out of Heber Springs, AR is my only experience. I think most anytime is fine except for the coldest months. It's mainly hatchery trout you are fishing. Guides are available which is recommended if you're going for the first time. It's the Little Red River below Greer's Ferry Lake (nice place also).

Drugs Delaney
08-11-2015, 03:29 AM
I've been to all of them. This one will give you the most bang for your buck.....http://www.norfork.com/genes/

Bassbucksducks
08-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Do people usually fly fish this or with a good ole rod and reel?

LandDawg
08-18-2015, 02:05 PM
plenty of fly rods and light tackle spinning reels every where you go up there. I enjoy fly fishing while wading and a spinner if we are floating deeper water. Both are a blast. Ive fished White River, Red River and Norfork River. White is my favorite. We take several buddies and rent a cabin around Mountain Home (off VRBO) that has river access 50 yards out the back door. There are 2 different wade fishing holes within walking distance of cabin. Dock river boat at landing for trolling when water is high.

Bassbucksducks
08-18-2015, 02:41 PM
plenty of fly rods and light tackle spinning reels every where you go up there. I enjoy fly fishing while wading and a spinner if we are floating deeper water. Both are a blast. Ive fished White River, Red River and Norfork River. White is my favorite. We take several buddies and rent a cabin around Mountain Home (off VRBO) that has river access 50 yards out the back door. There are 2 different wade fishing holes within walking distance of cabin. Dock river boat at landing for trolling when water is high.

That sounds like a lot of fun. I have fly fished in probably 3-4 years. Its a challenge but definitely adds a good twist to it.