PDA

View Full Version : Shea Patterson transferring to IMG

ShotgunDawg
07-13-2015, 02:31 PM
I find this interesting.

Walking out on high school team before his SR year?

Does this really help him?

I sure Ole Miss supports this move so he can come in more prepared to start next year.

His reasons are as stated: "State of the art facilities, & games on TV."

Why would it matter to a kid that's already committed, with tons of exposure, to play high school games on TV?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-13-2015, 02:44 PM
It's not a bad move at all. Any kid transferring to IMG is a good move IMO. They have 1 of the best football facilites, coaching, team, etc in high school. It's like going to play high school basketball at Oak Hill Academy or Findlay Prep or Montverde Academy.

Harrydawg
07-13-2015, 02:48 PM
But why? To get a better offer?

What's the purpose? Will this one year move
make a better pro one day?

Cabo32
07-13-2015, 03:06 PM
It's not a bad move at all. Any kid transferring to IMG is a good move IMO. They have 1 of the best football facilites, coaching, team, etc in high school. It's like going to play high school basketball at Oak Hill Academy or Findlay Prep or Montverde Academy.

What IYOK said, their facilities are some of the best in the country. He'll be playing with some of the top players in the country too. I'm sure he's probably been catching some flack from the instate program too. Not a bad move especially being that the FSU qb commit got kicked out of IMG awhile back

Ifyouonlyknew
07-13-2015, 03:09 PM
If I have a dream of going pro 1 day why not get as much of a head start as I can. IMG is basically a football factory? You get better coaching, play with better players, work out at better facilities, etc. It's a no brainer to me.

BrunswickDawg
07-13-2015, 03:12 PM
If I have a dream of going pro 1 day why not get as much of a head start as I can. IMG is basically a football factory? You get better coaching, play with better players, work out at better facilities, etc. It's a no brainer to me.
And in watching the "progression" of OM QB's, he may think "this will be my last chance to learn from good coaches for at least 3 years." Good move for him.

Johnson85
07-13-2015, 03:13 PM

Do they have comparable talent to play against? I'd be a little torn if I was trying to develop a QB. On the one hand, he'll definitely get good instruction. But if they are going to have the most talent at 9-11 spots on the field in all but one or two of the games they play, I'd be a little worried about adjusting when the WR v. DB's, and OL v. DL are evenly matched. QB is probably the only position I'd worry about that for.

RealHastings
07-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Seems that Shea has already started to fit the mold of your steriotypical OM prima donna recruit. Caring more about your individual self than a team, and not considerate of how your actions will affect those around you. This sort of selfish behavior can only carry a person so far, whether it be in life or on the football field. Besides, is he really even THAT talented to begin with? I'll answer: probably not. Is he very mechanically sound for a high school senior at that level? Absolutely. But it appears that he has already peaked and reached his highest potential ceiling, not to mention that Bucky has proven he can't develop Qbs. Besides, how far is a 6'0" 185 lbs. qb that barely runs a sub 5.0 40-yard-dash supposed to carry a team in the SEC? I just don't get it.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-13-2015, 03:23 PM
Seems that Shea has already started to fit the mold of your steriotypical OM prima donna recruit. Caring more about your individual self than a team, and not considerate of how your actions will affect those around you. This sort of selfish behavior can only carry a person so far, whether it be in life or on the football field. Besides, is he really even THAT talented to begin with? I'll answer: probably not. Is he very mechanically sound for a high school senior at that level? Absolutely. But it appears that he has already peaked and reached his highest potential ceiling, not to mention that Bucky has proven he can't develop Qbs. Besides, how far is a 6'0" 185 lbs. qb that barely runs a sub 5.0 40-yard-dash supposed to carry a team in the SEC? I just don't get it.

I think you're reaching a little on this one. I'll never fault a kid for trying to better himself. I'd say the same if it was a MSU commit.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-13-2015, 03:25 PM
Do they have comparable talent to play against? I'd be a little torn if I was trying to develop a QB. On the one hand, he'll definitely get good instruction. But if they are going to have the most talent at 9-11 spots on the field in all but one or two of the games they play, I'd be a little worried about adjusting when the WR v. DB's, and OL v. DL are evenly matched. QB is probably the only position I'd worry about that for.

They play a very demanding schedule. Playing some of the top teams in Florida & travel out of state playing other top teams in the country.

Liverpooldawg
07-13-2015, 03:40 PM
I think you're reaching a little on this one. I'll never fault a kid for trying to better himself. I'd say the same if it was a MSU commit.

He isn't reaching. That's the way it stuck me as w.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-13-2015, 03:46 PM
He isn't reaching. That's the way it stuck me as w.

So if Scott Lashley decided to go to IMG instead of staying at West Point you would think he was a prima donna kid who was selfish?

MafiaDawg
07-13-2015, 03:57 PM
It's costs 40k per semester. I assume lots of these players are on scholarship?

Johnson85
07-13-2015, 04:18 PM
So if Scott Lashley decided to go to IMG instead of staying at West Point you would think he was a prima donna kid who was selfish?

It's just a different mindset from what most people are familiar with. Most people that remember high school sports, by your senior year, your team is important. Transferring to a different school seems like bailing on your team to go take care of yourself.

Perfectly reasonable from the kids point of view and the point of view of his parents. But at the same time, I can understand people asking when his team will matter? In college? Or the NFL? Not saying that's the right way to think about it or that doing that is any indicator of future issues, but I can understand why it seems off to people.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-13-2015, 04:25 PM
It's just a different mindset from what most people are familiar with. Most people that remember high school sports, by your senior year, your team is important. Transferring to a different school seems like bailing on your team to go take care of yourself.

Perfectly reasonable from the kids point of view and the point of view of his parents. But at the same time, I can understand people asking when his team will matter? In college? Or the NFL? Not saying that's the right way to think about it or that doing that is any indicator of future issues, but I can understand why it seems off to people.

I may would understand that if he had been at the school with these kids from Jr high. He's only been at that school 2yrs I believe. Not like he's leaving lifelong friends. JMO.

PMDawg
07-13-2015, 04:29 PM

Agree 100%

Coach34
07-13-2015, 04:46 PM
There is sooooo much money involved in a sports career now- its a good move for him. Its more of a business and he is trying to better his career. It's like academic kids going to better schools so they can get into Harvard and shit. No different

missouridawg
07-13-2015, 05:00 PM
But why? To get a better offer?

What's the purpose? Will this one year move
make a better pro one day?

He knows his only hope of getting solid QB coaching in the next five years is at IMG.

Johnson85
07-13-2015, 05:08 PM
There is sooooo much money involved in a sports career now- its a good move for him. Its more of a business and he is trying to better his career. It's like academic kids going to better schools so they can get into Harvard and shit. No different

Which is why it strikes people the wrong way. We all like to pretend, to different extents, that college athletes are amateurs and that college sports are just a more highly skilled version of what we played in high school. A high school athlete transferring to a school that exists to train athletes reminds people that these are essentially professional athletes making business decisions, which makes it harder to maintain the delusion 99% of college sports fans like to keep.

And in fairness, it does matter at times. Would Nikoe have played his entire senior season if he had viewed himself as more of a professional that had to look out for his own career? Apples and Oranges since he probably wasn't looking at a pro career regardless, but it matters. What if Chris Jones or Rober Knimdeechie, or Tunsil or Redmond make enough noise early on to guarantee a good draft position, but then get an injury that they can play through, but not at as high of a level and playing on it will prevent them from being fully healthy for the combine?

And the analogy of going to better schools for academics doesn't quite work because there is no team to worry about.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-13-2015, 05:37 PM
If Chris or Will suffered an injury that they may could play through but risk further injury & their future I'd hope our coaches would make the decision to save a kids promising future.

Liverpooldawg
07-13-2015, 05:38 PM
He is in high school and this isn't Europe.

I seen it dawg
07-13-2015, 06:09 PM
What gets interesting is if this additional exposure makes him decommit and choose a school where he can actually be a QB that can develop. This opens a huge can of worms unless OM is paying all the bills for this. No early signing period...

Sacrifice
07-13-2015, 06:26 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the OM coaches didn't suggest this to him. Get him in there, recruit the hell out of everybody on the team and everybody they play. It's all about the Crootin!

msstate7
07-13-2015, 06:31 PM
If Chris or Will suffered an injury that they may could play through but risk further injury & their future I'd hope our coaches would make the decision to save a kids promising future.

I get mad at college baseball coaches (including Cohen at times) for not respecting pitchers' arms

msstate7
07-13-2015, 06:34 PM
What gets interesting is if this additional exposure makes him decommit and choose a school where he can actually be a QB that can develop. This opens a huge can of worms unless OM is paying all the bills for this. No early signing period...

Or he blows up and a school offers his brother an OC job or something. If I were an offensive HC at a school like Kansas, Colorado, etc, I'd offer his brother an on-the-field position. Landing a top qb can catapult a coach's career

Ifyouonlyknew
07-13-2015, 06:35 PM
This won't affect him going to OM at all or his recruitment. They have this 1 signed, sealed, & delivered.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-13-2015, 06:38 PM
This won't affect him going to OM at all or his recruitment. They have this 1 signed, sealed, & delivered.

The question is will this allow ole miss to get their foot in the door down there. I could be totally wrong, but it seems like you could "influence " recruiting decisions at a place like IMG.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-13-2015, 06:41 PM
The question is will this allow ole miss to get their foot in the door down there. I could be totally wrong, but it seems like you could "influence " recruiting decisions at a place like IMG.

I doubt it. It's hard to get in a door that constantly revolving with kids all over the country. Plus the coaches are loyal to no one but themselves.

JDog13
07-13-2015, 07:02 PM
She Paidderson

Todd4State
07-13-2015, 07:09 PM

Then why is he going to Ole Miss? If he's that serious about going pro he should probably go play for Dan, Lane Kiffen, or Richt. You know- guys that have a track record of developing QB's and/or run pro style offenses.

I totally get what you are saying about him bettering himself.

Todd4State
07-13-2015, 07:12 PM

This is why Ole Miss wants him to do it. 'Crooting exposure. It will help them get through the Dak era next year at least.

Todd4State
07-13-2015, 07:16 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the OM coaches didn't suggest this to him. Get him in there, recruit the hell out of everybody on the team and everybody they play. It's all about the Crootin!

They've been trying to get him to transfer all off season. First to Lafayette and then to Biloxi (Bobby Hall) when they were all about the 'Sip boyz. Now he's at IMG.

That said, I wouldn't worry about IMG becoming an Ole Miss pipeline unless something happens like Archie Manning takes it over. There's more money for IMG in supplying players for everyone than there is just for Ole Miss.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-13-2015, 07:18 PM
Then why is he going to Ole Miss? If he's that serious about going pro he should probably go play for Dan, Lane Kiffen, or Richt. You know- guys that have a track record of developing QB's and/or run pro style offenses.

I totally get what you are saying about him bettering himself.

Thing is Dan doesn't have a QB of his own who's in the NFL yet. Those are Urban's guys. Nobody says Kirby Smart is putting a gang of defensive players in the league they say Saban. We know Dan was instrumental but that's the perception.

Todd4State
07-13-2015, 07:23 PM
Thing is Dan doesn't have a QB of his own who's in the NFL yet. Those are Urban's guys. Nobody says Kirby Smart is putting a gang of defensive players in the league they say Saban. We know Dan was instrumental but that's the perception.

Point is Dan has more ties to QB's in the pros than Freeze. Not to mention Dak is a household name right now- and that's 100% Dan. And even if you just look at Dak, that's still more than Freeze.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-13-2015, 07:34 PM
Point is Dan has more ties to QB's in the pros than Freeze. Not to mention Dak is a household name right now- and that's 100% Dan. And even if you just look at Dak, that's still more than Freeze.

Don't disagree with any of that.

MabenMaroon
07-13-2015, 08:01 PM
As a State fan I am more concerned about the recruitment and high school sr. year development of the #1 rated OT and #2 rated overall recruit who just de-committed from TAMU and now says tsun and Bama are high up on the list. Now a top notch left tackle could go a long ways to helping an immobile qb with a decent arm become a top tier SEC qb. That to me, bares watching more closely than where some prima donna, easily sunburned, rich boy finishes up his high school.
The network, I am sure, is hard after this fella for sure. This one might warrant the super secret "blue" back pack.

whosyourdawgy
07-13-2015, 08:30 PM
This is a great move for the Bears. Now Patterson can start recruiting some of the other if players to Oxford. Don't laugh. I'm sure that was a part of this move Not only to get him more prepared for college but to hopefully get more top flight guys to come with him

32 Dive
07-13-2015, 10:23 PM
This is a great move for the Bears. Now Patterson can start recruiting some of the other if players to Oxford. Don't laugh. I'm sure that was a part of this move Not only to get him more prepared for college but to hopefully get more top flight guys to come with him

Red Nike Backpacks FTW

ShotgunDawg
07-13-2015, 10:54 PM
Dan,

Why is Ole Miss always in the mix with the national recruits & we aren't even in the picture?

I realize that not everything is above board, but, beyond that, why is it that we get such little interest from these guys and they do?

Todd4State
07-13-2015, 11:46 PM
Dan,

Why is Ole Miss always in the mix with the national recruits & we aren't even in the picture?

I realize that not everything is above board, but, beyond that, why is it that we get such little interest from these guys and they do?

Because they are absolutely cheating their ass off. Everyone has a price.

They try to identify the top recruits and then try to develop some type of "in" with them- and then use that to get them to campus where all the schenanigans take place.

RealHastings
07-14-2015, 09:28 AM
Because they are absolutely cheating their ass off. Everyone has a price.

They try to identify the top recruits and then try to develop some type of "in" with them- and then use that to get them to campus where all the schenanigans take place.

This. I couldn't agree more. Not being naive, as I believe the majority of SEC schools use similar tactics, but OM seems to take this to a whole other level. The fact that the NCAA does nothing about this is ridiculous.

Coach34
07-14-2015, 10:12 AM
Dan,

The Network

1. Target top recruits
2. Pay them to visit
3. Give them the 5-star "Oxford is awesome" treatment