PDA

View Full Version : Cannot believe the level of disrespect

messageboardsuperhero
07-13-2015, 02:01 PM
that Dak Prescott is getting. Where is all this "Jeremy Johnson is the best QB in the league" talk coming from? The dude has essentially played one meaningful half of football in his entire career. Meanwhile, these are Dak's numbers from last year:

4435 total yards (3rd most in SEC history)
41 total TDs (7th most in SEC history)

The only player in the history of the league who has gained as many yards in a season as Dak did last year is Johnny Football. Cam Newton couldn't gain as many yards in his 2010 Heisman season, and he had a whole extra game. Tim Tebow didn't gain as many yards in his 2007 Heisman season- or in 2008 and 2009 when he had an extra game. Dak was the undisputed Heisman frontrunner for a good chuck of last season, and he finished in the top 10 of the voting. Why is everyone seemingly forgetting just how good he was and proclaiming Johnson from Auburn as the best QB in the league? It is crazy to me.

I just think there is a tremendous amount of disrespect in the media for one of the top 5 QBs the SEC has seen in the past 15 years. (And yes, I realize numbers are more inflated now than they used to be- hence the "past 15 years.")

RBritt
07-13-2015, 02:05 PM
If Jeremy Johnson is so GD good why wasn't he put in against us, A&M, and Bama? To be the best qb in the league he could have led a comeback with ease.

BrunswickDawg
07-13-2015, 02:06 PM
Just means that we keep a chip on our shoulder
http://i.imgur.com/TYqc2.gif

ShotgunDawg
07-13-2015, 02:12 PM
Here is where it comes from:

The media decides who they think will win the SEC West, & then makes the parts fit afterwards.

For example: The tidal wave of irrationality, starts by saying, "Auburn will win the SEC West". The next step is to figure out how to shape the parts of Auburn's team in order to make that prediction makes sense. So they say, Auburn only won 8 games last year, & the only difference between this year's team is Jeremy Johnson & Muschamp. Therefore, in order to competently say that Auburn will win the West, they anoint Jeremy Johnson the SEC's best QB, because that's just about the only way they can justify making Auburn the preseason favorite.

Conversely, with MSU, because the media has decided that we suck, none of the conversation is about Dak Prescott, because that hurts the media's argument, thus all the attention is on replacing defensive guys, o-linemen, & a running back.

You won't hear once this week that MSU will very likely have one of the top 2 or 3 offenses in the SEC, because that won't help push the agenda that MSU sucks. The story will be about what all we have to replace.

drunkernhelldawg
07-13-2015, 02:14 PM
We'll have every chance to shut them up on the field, and that's where it counts.

ShotgunDawg
07-13-2015, 02:22 PM
I found this tweet hilarious

Mark Rogers ‏@MarkRogersTV 30m30 minutes ago
#OleMiss looks like the favorite for last place at this point. Not my official pick, but issues at QB, OL, RB. #SECMD15

I'm going to back OM for a moment. 3 Weeks ago the media was pumping them as a national championship contender.

My questions is: What has changed?

The media is ridiculous. So now that a team you were saying could win the NC has an offensive lineman that may or may not be suspended, you have lost all hope in them?

The people don't think or understand the game. It's wild

messageboardsuperhero
07-13-2015, 02:35 PM

#OleMiss looks like the favorite for last place at this point. Not my official pick, but issues at QB, OL, RB. #SECMD15

I'm going to back OM for a moment. 3 Weeks ago the media was pumping them as a national championship contender.

The media is ridiculous. So now that a team you were saying could win the NC has an offensive lineman that may or may not be suspended, you have lost all hope in them?

That is crazy. UM has a good team this year. They won't win the division- but they will most definitely not finish last either.

ShotgunDawg
07-13-2015, 02:41 PM
That is crazy. UM has a good team this year. They won't win the division- but they will most definitely not finish last either.

It just reflects how stupid & "non-convicted" these guys are in their opinions. When the slightest bit of negative news, relevant or irrelevant, can alter opinions so dramatically, it just goes to show you that these opinions are built on sand by people who aren't held accountable by their opinions.

gtowndawg
07-13-2015, 02:51 PM
He had more rushing yards, against a tougher schedule than Mark Ingram. He even had more yards against like opponents than Ingram. Yet, Ingram wins a Heisman and Dixon is simply recognized as just another good SEC running back. One played for Bama. One played for State. I've said for a long time, I really think it takes 15 years of high level success to start changing the average person's perception of our program. We are probably in year 4 or 5 of that now. Still a long way to go.

Johnson85
07-13-2015, 02:59 PM

Who will finish last? Bama's not going to finish last. I don't see any reason to think Auburn is going to take a big step back. I don't see any reason to think MSU will take a big step back.

- UM will have a really good D, but a potentially terrible O that is dependent on the D getting them the ball in scoring position or on big plays. Probably not going to have a lot of sustainable drives unless Kelly surprises on the upside. UM does get Vandy and UF from the East.
- A&M will have a QB with one more year of experience and a DC that should improve their defense. A&M gets Vandy and USCe
- LSU has a bad QB situation, but presumably good talent everywhere else. LSU gets USCe and UF.
- Arkansas will have a grind it out run game but a weak passing game to go with it and needs to replace some very good players on D. Ark gets UT and Mizzou.

Somebody pretty decent is going to finish last in the West. UM has an advantage playing Vandy and UF, but it seems very possible to me that Arky, LSU, and UF could beat UM just by running between the tackles and avoiding turnovers and defensive breakdowns. Auburn, Bama, and State are all going to be tough games for UM, and while UM matches up great with A&M, they won't be a pushover. I could easily see UM winning 3 SEC games. I wouldn't put money on UM to finish last, but I don't think anybody in the West will really be bad this year, and I certainly wouldn't put their odds at avoiding the cellar way better than Arkansas, LSU, or A&M (who I guess I would bet to finish last if I had to pick).

dawgs
07-13-2015, 03:13 PM

Well at least everyone is starting to realize OM has no QB.

Didn't Phil Steele have OM in his top 5 OL in the country a month ago?

archdog
07-13-2015, 03:36 PM

Conversely, with MSU, because the media has decided that we suck, none of the conversation is about Dak Prescott, because that hurts the media's argument, thus all the attention is on replacing defensive guys, o-linemen, & a running back.

The media hasn't decided that, our play at the end of the year decided that. Win one of the three losses, especially against UM and we would be the only thing people were talking about still. Too bad our defense sucked it up those games. Now UM gets a pass on their bowl game, why? Because they beat Alabama and Us last year.

Complain all we want, but if we would have beat either Alabama or UM last year our rep would be much better in the media.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-13-2015, 03:38 PM
The media hasn't decided that, our play at the end of the year decided that. Win one of the three losses, especially against UM and we would be the only thing people were talking about still. Too bad our defense sucked it up those games. Now UM gets a pass on their bowl game, why? Because they beat Alabama and Us last year.

Complain all we want, but if we would have beat either Alabama or UM last year our rep would be much better in the media.

I respectfully disagree. If we would've beaten OM we may be getting a little more love but not much. The storyline would've been we beat a reeling OM team who lost 3 straight to end the year but lost to Bama & Ga Tech plus they lost everything but Dak from that team. They will fall back to reality this season.

ShotgunDawg
07-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Booger McFarland makes my skin crawl. There likely isn't a less prepared, less intelligent analyst on the SEC Network.

He just said that Josh Dobbs is the most dynamic QB in the SEC.

If these guys aren't careful, they are going to walk out of Hoover with Dak as the 3rd team all SEC QB.

It's just amazing to me how people's perceptions can make them so blind

ShotgunDawg
07-13-2015, 04:03 PM
I respectfully disagree. If we would've beaten OM we may be getting a little more love but not much. The storyline would've been we beat a reeling OM team who lost 3 straight to end the year but lost to Bama & Ga Tech plus they lost everything but Dak from that team. They will fall back to reality this season.

Agree, his post was full of ignorance

mic
07-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Take advantage of it while you can....
7 wins over -105
Win the sec -3500
Lsu +3
Auburn +8.5
Mizzu +5
Arkansas +10
Bama +7
OM +1

Make some $$$$$ boys..... And someone book mark this to use week of each game...

FISHDAWG
07-13-2015, 04:09 PM
Agree, his post was full of ignorance

I dont think it was full of ignorance at all ... nobody is to blame for the disrespect other than ourselves and our track record ...... after decades of mediocrity it's gonna take more than a great year or two. We had our chance last year and we didn't close the deal

Ifyouonlyknew
07-13-2015, 04:26 PM
I dont think it was full of ignorance at all ... nobody is to blame for the disrespect other than ourselves and our track record ...... after decades of mediocrity it's gonna take more than a great year or two. We had our chance last year and we didn't close the deal

So do you think if we would've beaten OM last year we would be talked about as a top 3 team in the West?

Johnson85
07-13-2015, 04:37 PM
So do you think if we would've beaten OM last year we would be talked about as a top 3 team in the West?

By a lot of journalists. At that point, assuming we still stink up a bowl game, we'd have finished 11-2, and there would have been a pretty clear separation between Bama, US, and then the rest of the West last season. There'd still be plenty of idiots that picked us to have a huge dropoff just because they didn't pay attention to who actually played snaps for us, but there would have been a lot of people that thought we'd take a step back and still be 3rd in the west this year.

messageboardsuperhero
07-13-2015, 04:38 PM
Who will finish last? Bama's not going to finish last. I don't see any reason to think Auburn is going to take a big step back. I don't see any reason to think MSU will take a big step back.

- UM will have a really good D, but a potentially terrible O that is dependent on the D getting them the ball in scoring position or on big plays. Probably not going to have a lot of sustainable drives unless Kelly surprises on the upside. UM does get Vandy and UF from the East.
- A&M will have a QB with one more year of experience and a DC that should improve their defense. A&M gets Vandy and USCe
- LSU has a bad QB situation, but presumably good talent everywhere else. LSU gets USCe and UF.
- Arkansas will have a grind it out run game but a weak passing game to go with it and needs to replace some very good players on D. Ark gets UT and Mizzou.

Somebody pretty decent is going to finish last in the West. UM has an advantage playing Vandy and UF, but it seems very possible to me that Arky, LSU, and UF could beat UM just by running between the tackles and avoiding turnovers and defensive breakdowns. Auburn, Bama, and State are all going to be tough games for UM, and while UM matches up great with A&M, they won't be a pushover. I could easily see UM winning 3 SEC games. I wouldn't put money on UM to finish last, but I don't think anybody in the West will really be bad this year, and I certainly wouldn't put their odds at avoiding the cellar way better than Arkansas, LSU, or A&M (who I guess I would bet to finish last if I had to pick).

I think A&M finishes last.

TUSK
07-13-2015, 04:43 PM
He had more rushing yards, against a tougher schedule than Mark Ingram. He even had more yards against like opponents than Ingram. Yet, Ingram wins a Heisman and Dixon is simply recognized as just another good SEC running back. One played for Bama. One played for State. I've said for a long time, I really think it takes 15 years of high level success to start changing the average person's perception of our program. We are probably in year 4 or 5 of that now. Still a long way to go.

I assume you mean collectively, and not on a game by game basis...

the rest of your post is true... I believe had Dixon and Ingram swapped teams, Dixon would have won the thing, too... Ws factor in a lot...

archdog
07-13-2015, 04:48 PM

It all matters in how you do it, but yes. No offense to you Dan, but notice in my original post I listed Alabama and GT in that list too. Beat UM and GT and we are getting praise all over the place. Beat Alabama only and lose the other two, and we would have as much praise as anyone in the west.

The issue is this. How can anyone without maroon glasses go out on a limb and give us more praise than UM or Bama? Can't happen. They both beat us on the field last time out. So there is two right there. Next, we gave up too many yards on big plays throughout the entire season. LSU got beat for 3.5 quarters like a redheaded stepchild and still turned it into a a 5 point game. You want to get respect, beat everyone or at least have one gigantic big time come from behind win. Giving up touchdowns down the middle deep against UM isn't going to get us there.

Now I do not like the disrespect as much as the next bulldog, but I can see why they are doing it. Win and it shuts everyone up. It's the only way to do it.

FISHDAWG
07-13-2015, 04:50 PM

I think it was entirely up to us ... maybe we retain that 4th play-off spot and then folks remember us as being in the playoffs ... cmon Dan - it wasn't our best effort ....

1bigdawg
07-13-2015, 05:07 PM
A lot of pre-season predictions are based on how you finish and we were 1-3 in our last four games.

Coach34
07-13-2015, 05:19 PM
A lot of pre-season predictions are based on how you finish and we were 1-3 in our last four games.

Auburn was 1-4 in their last 5 and are picked 1st this year

Jacksondevildog
07-13-2015, 05:20 PM

And return 4 starters on offense.

Johnson85
07-13-2015, 05:31 PM

That's what I'm thinking too, but I'd definitely take the field over them if I was looking at even money (and maybe just LSU and Arkansas).

archdog
07-13-2015, 05:32 PM

Point taken. But they do.have the added benefit of winning it all a few years ago and playing for the championship two uears ago. Does that have anything to do with this years Auburn team, no. But they get a reasonable doubt because of past deeds. That is why our team can build some respect if we follow last year with one on par. Year after year success gives you that latitude.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-13-2015, 05:40 PM

Point taken. But they do.have the added benefit of winning it all a few years ago and playing for the championship two uears ago. Does that have anything to do with this years Auburn team, no. But they get a reasonable doubt because of past deeds. That is why our team can build some respect if we follow last year with one on par. Year after year success gives you that latitude.

Which is why I think just 1 win out of the last 3 (OM which you mentioned previous) wouldn't have changed the perception of the media of MSU. That was my point.

ETA: Didn't mean to quote super hero.

Coach34
07-13-2015, 05:45 PM

Absolutely.

We didnt get respect last year because we were viewed as Mullen hasnt recruited well enough to compete
Now- we are being viewed as Mullen hasnt recruited well enough to do it back to back cause we lost some guys
Next year- it will be that we lost the best QB in school history and thats the only reason why we won 10 games in back to back seasons

Its not gonna end because we arent a blue blood

maroonmania
07-13-2015, 05:47 PM

Exactly, no matter how it was done, 2 championship appearances in the last 5 years buys you a lot of respect from the media.

maroonmania
07-13-2015, 05:53 PM
Absolutely.

We didnt get respect last year because we were viewed as Mullen hasnt recruited well enough to compete
Now- we are being viewed as Mullen hasnt recruited well enough to do it back to back cause we lost some guys
Next year- it will be that we lost the best QB in school history and thats the only reason why we won 10 games in back to back seasons

Its not gonna end because we arent a blue blood

It will end at some point possibly if we keep winning at a high level, but one 10 win season is not going to win over the naysayers when, before that, Mullen has never won more than 8 regular season games. And beyond that has never won more than 6 in an odd numbered year. I'm not surprised at folks not picking us to win the West but am certainly a little dismayed at so many last place picks with the best returning QB in the league. That alone ought to buy you better than last place in the division one would think. That's why I've joked with so many friends that after Dak leaves this year I'm braced for us to be projected at 8th in the West come next pre-season.

DancingRabbit
07-13-2015, 06:03 PM
I just shake my head and chuckle at the disrespect towards the team. Since we went from unranked to #1 in record time last year, I won't get too worried or offended about pre-season slights.

MSU sells less magazines than any other team in the conference, so if you also throw in the late season swoon and losing a lot of starters then I guess it's to be expected. While I want Dan and the team leaders to learn how to compete just as well as front-runners, nothing like some disrespect to keep these guys juiced during August two-a-days.

The team is one thing, but to disrespect Dak Prescott is a whole 'nother level of idiocy. I'm hearing a lot of that nonsense and that pisses me off!

Barking 13
07-13-2015, 07:06 PM
Booger McFarland makes my skin crawl. There likely isn't a less prepared, less intelligent analyst on the SEC Network.

He just said that Josh Dobbs is the most dynamic QB in the SEC.

If these guys aren't careful, they are going to walk out of Hoover with Dak as the 3rd team all SEC QB.

It's just amazing to me how people's perceptions can make them so blind

I was listening to ESPN on my way to BRLA on 104.5 and that damn booger is saying Dobbs is better than Dak.. I wanted to call in and tell him to put the fn bong down... Idiot...

mstatefan91
07-13-2015, 07:09 PM
Booger is a moron. Plain and simple

Barking 13
07-13-2015, 07:14 PM
Booger is a moron. Plain and simple

He was spot on with his analysis of the LSU program... actually sounds halfway intelligent.. I think he's just a hater.... but I still can't stand him... I'd rather listen to dumb ax Spears...

archdog
07-13-2015, 07:31 PM
With all of that being said, I hate the disrespect as much as anyone else. To quote IfyouOnlyKnew before the LSU game last year, "No one knows what is about to take the field!" I think we come out and punch LSU in the mouth and this time we do not take out our starters.

I seen it dawg
07-13-2015, 08:12 PM
Take advantage of it while you can....
7 wins over -105
Win the sec -3500
Lsu +3
Auburn +8.5
Mizzu +5
Arkansas +10
Bama +7
OM +1

Make some $$$$$ boys..... And someone book mark this to use week of each game...

Moneyline us every one of these games

HSVDawg
07-13-2015, 08:28 PM

Why not? This is the SEC West. They could finish dead last and still could be 7-5 or 8-4. It doesn't mean they are a bad team, but somebody has to be at the bottom. It could just as easily happen to us as well if we have a few bad breaks.

BrunswickDawg
07-13-2015, 08:43 PM
I'm just really beginning to wonder if this might be a year where the West is so close that we see a bloodbath with the winner losing 3-4 games.

I seen it dawg
07-13-2015, 09:14 PM
I'm just really beginning to wonder if this might be a year where the West is so close that we see a bloodbath with the winner losing 3-4 games.

No because we aren't losing 3-4 games.

engie
07-13-2015, 09:14 PM

I'll take Dak, De'Runnya, and Shump in bloodbaths each and every time. The nastier it gets, the more it plays into our favor IMO...

DancingRabbit
07-13-2015, 09:44 PM

Well, in the history of the SECW there's been only one 3-loss division winner (LSU in 2001), so a 4-loss winner seems like crazy talk. But if you had to bet on either a 3-loss versus an undefeated SECW winner it seems like a coin toss. And, it feels like a 2-loss division winner is more likely than a 1-loss champ.

TUSK
07-13-2015, 11:53 PM
Moneyline us every one of these games

I'm with that mode of thinking, ISID.... I fully expect this site to die and go away come end of this season when all you cats move to Cabo after stealin' Vegas blind and making millions...*

mstatefan91
07-14-2015, 01:27 AM
Why is Tusk allowed to post? Lol

gravedigger
07-14-2015, 06:55 AM

The media decides who they think will win the SEC West, & then makes the parts fit afterwards.

For example: The tidal wave of irrationality, starts by saying, "Auburn will win the SEC West". The next step is to figure out how to shape the parts of Auburn's team in order to make that prediction makes sense. So they say, Auburn only won 8 games last year, & the only difference between this year's team is Jeremy Johnson & Muschamp. Therefore, in order to competently say that Auburn will win the West, they anoint Jeremy Johnson the SEC's best QB, because that's just about the only way they can justify making Auburn the preseason favorite.

You won't hear once this week that MSU will very likely have one of the top 2 or 3 offenses in the SEC, because that won't help push the agenda that MSU sucks. The story will be about what all we have to replace.

Best post you ever made. But i will say that auburs qb isnt far behind dak. He also benefits from having the best play caller in the sec.

The media doesnt see us as bad so much as they cannot see malzahn and saban getting outcoached. That is also why the aggies are getting credit they dont deserve.

Arkansas is an enigma for the media. The ground pound game is too old school for today, but the guy is a good coach and ark gets no competition for in state talent. Media loves that coach.

Freeze has not failed to field a better than predicted team yet. Think about that. He has exceeded expectations every year.

Grass eater is living on fumes and recruiting rankings but he pulls a miracle every other year

That leaves danny boy. He' exceeded expectations in 3-4 of his 6 years. For msu and the sec west that is damn good. But i think the media is wondering why he hasnt been pulled away by some bigger school. That is the enigma. Poor old MSU SHOULD have lost him by now. A number of them probably think he's just lucky. Others are withholding judgement to see if he can replicate success. NONE of them think anyone with a choice would stay in starkville. If we have success this year AND he stays, they will see us differently.

Johnson85
07-14-2015, 08:39 AM
Well, in the history of the SECW there's been only one 3-loss division winner (LSU in 2001), so a 4-loss winner seems like crazy talk. But if you had to bet on either a 3-loss versus an undefeated SECW winner it seems like a coin toss. And, it feels like a 2-loss division winner is more likely than a 1-loss champ.

A 4-loss winner is crazy talk b/c math I believe. 4 sec losses means .500 in the SEC. Considering how much weaker the East is, that just doesn't seem possible. I think it's very possible we'll have a 2 loss winner this year.

Johnson85
07-14-2015, 08:42 AM
He was spot on with his analysis of the LSU program... actually sounds halfway intelligent.. I think he's just a hater.... but I still can't stand him... I'd rather listen to dumb ax Spears...

He's not a hater, he's just lazy. He sounds intelligent talking about the LSU program because he's interested and actually keeps up. For most of his other "analysis", it's just a few canned phrases he plans ahead of time and strings into sentences that may sound ok but have very little relation to the actual team or players he is talking about.

BrunswickDawg
07-14-2015, 09:01 AM
2001 was kind of what I was thinking. LSU and Barn were 5-3, then OM, Bama, and Pig at 4-4, with our 2-6 at the rear. That was a wild year.

RBritt
07-14-2015, 09:15 AM
Malzahn is one of the best OC in the country not HC. He has been on a helluva run from the Springdale kids, to Cam, and Nick Marshall. Marshall was the luckiest phuck to ever qb a team in the last 30 years. He completed a 61 yard pass to himself against us, completed the TD against us, lucky shiite against UGA, and the kick shiite against Bama. That makes Gus so good. If we would have paid Cam he'd still be at Ark State. I bet it was tough to win at Springdale high with 5 SEC players on a team. Gus and his gadget O have caught as many breaks as a broken glass.

Coach34
07-14-2015, 09:28 AM
SEC West winner in 2015 is going to be 10-2

I seen it dawg
07-14-2015, 11:32 AM
We ain't losing 2 games....

DancingRabbit
07-14-2015, 11:48 AM
We ain't losing 2 games....

Hope you're right. At this point in time, if I'm betting the trailer, I think I would predict 9-3.