PDA

View Full Version : Colin Cowherd say "Arkansas is a top 10 team"

ShotgunDawg
07-13-2015, 11:12 AM
This is essentially when "the media, medias"

At some point, someone said, despite Arkansas losing their three best defensive players & despite them having a completely pedestrian QB, without the capacity to score points on a consistent basis, they were going to be a pretty good team this year because they played teams close last year & pulled a few upsets AT HOME.

However, at another point, someone took "Arkansas being pretty good" and morphed it into "Arkansas is a top 10 team" without any evidence whatsoever that that is going to happen.

Let me be clear, THERE IS A MAJOR DIFFERENCE IN PLAYING TEAMS CLOSE & WINNING.

IMO, Arkansas is the most overrated team in the SEC by the media at this point. I'm not saying that they won't be better, but saying that they are anywhere close to being a top 10, seems crazy to me considering that they will likely struggle to score points, have to replace some DUDES on defense, don't have a game changing QB, & will now not be the after thought game in which teams show up believing that Arkansas sucks.

It's just amazing how the off season momentum effects predictions without teams playing games.

In the same way that Arkansas has benefited from that irrational momentum, so has Jeremy Johnson at Auburn. After last season & Spring practice, people thought Johnson had a chance to be a good SEC QB that Auburn could win with, then, in the Summer, the media started predicting that Auburn could win the SEC West, & now we are at a point where Johnson has better Heisman odds than Dak Prescott, even though he really hasn't done anything but start a game last season against a below average Arkansas team that had no film on him.

It's not that I don't think Johnson will be a good QB, because I do think it will do a good job for Auburn, but I point this out to make a point that somehow the media creates a tidal wave of momentum that becomes completely irrational by this time during the summer. It does show you that none of these guys are free thinkers & they simply build upon or subtract upon ideas that are already out there. The same has held true for MSU, in a negative way. Following last season, people thought we could be good again this year, but as the media tidal wave has grown, now we may not win 7 games. Completely irrational thought created by people who aren't free thinkers.

As a testament to this, I ask you to watch our Spring Game with an open mind. Look that the rhythm & timing between Dak & his receivers. Simply, college football teams with this kind of rhythm & timing in their passing game, score lots of point & win lots of games. Not sure if it's because of twitter, etc, but there seems to be very few Free Thinkers anymore. Tell me this is a 6 win team on the field.

https://youtu.be/FRLgBVDjx2k

MetEdDawg
07-13-2015, 11:25 AM
Here's the mantra that I've heard from some SEC media guys. Arkansas has the most experienced returning QB. I mean I've literally heard 4 or 5 different people say that's why Arkansas is going to be good. Did they even watch Allen the past few years? He actually had a good OL and has had a good running game. But just because you are a returning starter doesn't mean you are good.

That's like saying we would have been contenders because Henig was one of the more experienced returning QBs in 2007. Just doesn't make sense. Now do I think Arkansas will be good? Yes I do. But they've got some defensive issues because they lost a lot there and didn't rotate like we did. Their guys played a majority of snaps unlike ours who played more like 60/40.

If Arkansas is a Top 10 team I'll eat my shoes. I think they finish next to last and I honestly think TAMU could end up finishing last this year.

CadaverDawg
07-13-2015, 11:31 AM
Then we're a Top 5 team, and the West has 7 teams in the Top 10

joedog
07-13-2015, 11:49 AM
http://s13.postimg.org/4iangj0nr/cowherd_turd.jpg

thf24
07-13-2015, 12:13 PM
Here's the mantra that I've heard from some SEC media guys. Arkansas has the most experienced returning QB. I mean I've literally heard 4 or 5 different people say that's why Arkansas is going to be good. Did they even watch Allen the past few years? He actually had a good OL and has had a good running game. But just because you are a returning starter doesn't mean you are good.

That's like saying we would have been contenders because Henig was one of the more experienced returning QBs in 2007. Just doesn't make sense. Now do I think Arkansas will be good? Yes I do. But they've got some defensive issues because they lost a lot there and didn't rotate like we did. Their guys played a majority of snaps unlike ours who played more like 60/40.

If Arkansas is a Top 10 team I'll eat my shoes. I think they finish next to last and I honestly think TAMU could end up finishing last this year.

Allen is a decent game manager at the absolute best. He doesn't make them any better than average. You're right, I just don't get why the media is insisting he's such an asset. Well, maybe aside from how good Henry made him look on the last drive of our game.

I've said it ad nauseam already, but I don't see how anyone can believe that Arkansas on paper projects as anything better than a 7-5 team on paper. They're not going to be any different or better on offense, and they lost a lot of production on defense. I think best case they might steal a game somewhere due to their style and go 8-4, but they could just as easily go 6-6, maybe even 5-7 if they can't figure out how to make up the defensive deficiencies.

War Machine Dawg
07-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Arkansas is in the position we were under Mullen starting in Years 3-5. Very good team, probably Top 15-25, yearly bowl games. However, the gap from there to competing for the West is HUGE. You have to be able to legitimately compete for the National Championship to be a West contender. Arkansas and the media will find that out this season. They'll play teams close and beat the hell out of you physically, but they'll be a 6-8 win type of team. And I'm calling my shot, they prison rape TSUN in Oxford.

Maroonthirteen
07-13-2015, 01:02 PM
I think they for sure reach the top 10 if they leave Knoxville undefeated. That is a big if but is do able for that bunch.

SignalToNoise
07-13-2015, 01:03 PM
Arkansas is in the position we were under Mullen starting in Years 3-5. Very good team, probably Top 15-25, yearly bowl games.

This is a good comparison and I agree. After the 2010 season it seems like the media was giving us a lot of love and everyone expected us to crush Auburn in 2011. Well we all remember finishing the regular season 6-6 and a lot of us were very disappointed with that. Arkansas is on a similar trajectory I bet.

Coach34
07-13-2015, 01:11 PM
And I'm calling my shot, they prison rape TSUN in Oxford.

One thing UPig and LSU can do to Ole Missus is be very physical against their smaller, quick DL and impose their will. Those games will be very interesting in Oxford this year

ShotgunDawg
07-13-2015, 01:13 PM
I think they for sure reach the top 10 if they leave Knoxville undefeated. That is a big if but is do able for that bunch.

I don't disagree with this, but that doesn't mean they are a top 10 caliber team. Them & TN are overrated, and Arkansas will benefit from that.

DistrictDawg92
07-13-2015, 01:13 PM
Arkansas is in the position we were under Mullen starting in Years 3-5. Very good team, probably Top 15-25, yearly bowl games. However, the gap from there to competing for the West is HUGE. You have to be able to legitimately compete for the National Championship to be a West contender. Arkansas and the media will find that out this season. They'll play teams close and beat the hell out of you physically, but they'll be a 6-8 win type of team. And I'm calling my shot, they prison rape TSUN in Oxford.

I don't think it's quite the same. After shutting out LSU and Ole Miss they immediately became a contender for 2015. I don't think there is really an argument against Arkansas being a top 10 team other than the fact that every one in the West can't be a top 10 team, if they can win the close games this year they could legitimately win the West, but that applies to every team in the west this year.

MetEdDawg
07-13-2015, 01:21 PM
I don't think it's quite the same. After shutting out LSU and Ole Miss they immediately became a contender for 2015. I don't think there is really an argument against Arkansas being a top 10 team other than the fact that every one in the West can't be a top 10 team, if they can win the close games this year they could legitimately win the West, but that applies to every team in the west this year.

I will say this about them. If I had to rank the teams in the west I thought had the best chance to be in the Top 10 this year, I would put Arkansas ahead of LSU and TAMU for sure. I still don't think they get there, but if you were to run 1,000 simulations of the upcoming year, I bet Arkansas ends up in the Top 10 more than LSU and TAMU. LSU doesn't have a good enough QB to do it and TAMU to me still doesn't have a good enough defense to stop high quality offenses and isn't consistent enough on offense to beat good teams. They will be too inconsistent to end up in the Top 10.

Bothrops
07-13-2015, 01:26 PM

Yes, OM goes down to the hogs in Oxford. Been saying it all along. Not a good match up for the bears.

thunderclap
07-13-2015, 04:02 PM
It sure is a good thing the games are going to get played.

Schultzy
07-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Arkansas last with A&M, UM and LSU in some order ahead of them. Beliema gone, he just lost too many good defensive players and that offense will not get it done in this era of scoring so much.

Auburn, MSU and Alabama in the top tier.