PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Jamal Peters...

CadaverDawg
07-12-2015, 12:04 PM
I didn't want to hijack the "That's My Dawwg" thread, but I see several people putting Peters as "Freshman of the Year", including Dan himself aka ifyouonlyknew. My question is, if we are expecting bigger things out of Coman this year, and we already have Coman, Evans, Market, Bryant, etc, at Safety...how do you guys see Peters making his impact. Will he do it as a backup? Will he steal a starter spot by year's end? I'm not arguing that he can be Freshman of the Year, I'm just wondering how everyone feels he'll make his impact.

I went with Corey Thomas....not because I think he's better than Peters, but because I think Corey will be relied on more this season due to lack of depth on the DL.

Hopefully they both kill it. Just wondering everyone's thoughts, and specifically Dan's, since he specifically said he thought Coman would surprise this year...and I agree that he will.

BulldogDX55
07-12-2015, 12:09 PM
My guess would be a combination of special teams and heavy second string reps, possibly moving up to first string alongside Coman/Market/whoever. Even if we are dropping the 1A/1B crap this season, defense still subs much more heavily than offense due to fatigue.

He seems to be too good to keep off the field.

Coach34
07-12-2015, 12:16 PM
I put him there because I meant all the true Freshmen. He is the only one that can possibly have an impact. I see him being the back-up most of the year and gaining experience. I'll be surprised if he ever starts as a true Freshman- but think he will play alot

MafiaDawg
07-12-2015, 12:20 PM
It seems people have just forgotten about Bryant in the offseason. Evans is clearly not the answer. Market is coming off a massive injury. Hopefully the early starters are Coman and Bryant with Petersgetting situational duty until he gets the hang of it. If Bryant can't beat out those upperclassmen early on we are in big trouble.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-12-2015, 12:22 PM
I think the safety rotation ends up being Coman, Market, Peters, & Bryant. I think he makes his fair share of plays this year. When thinking of Freshman of the Year I was assuming True Freshman. Am I wrong?

Coach34
07-12-2015, 12:26 PM
I wasnt clear on it- so technically it could include R-Fr as I did last season

DistrictDawg92
07-12-2015, 01:25 PM
Don't think he will start as a true freshman at all, I mean even Chris Jones never started as a true freshman, just the way Mullen does it. But I do think Peters will make an impact this year, he's just too talented to sit on the bench.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Don't think he will start as a true freshman at all, I mean even Chris Jones never started as a true freshman, just the way Mullen does it. But I do think Peters will make an impact this year, he's just too talented to sit on the bench.

Difference between Chris & Jamal situations is Mullen had 2 guys he had confidence in & had proven themselves in the SEC in PJ Jones & Kaleb Eulls. There's not that same known quantity at safety. Not saying he starts but the circumstances are differences.

ShotgunDawg
07-12-2015, 02:10 PM
Eric Berry's Freshman Profile:

2007 National Defensive Freshman of the Year Collegefootballnews.com
? 2007 Freshman All-America FWAA, Rivals.com and Collegefootballnews.com
? 2007 All-SEC Coaches (2nd) and Associated Press (2nd)
? 2007 SEC Defensive Freshman of the Year Sporting News
? 2007 Freshman All-SEC Coaches, Rivals.com and Sporting News
? 2007 SEC Freshman of the Week (Nov. 10 and 24)
? 2007 SEC Freshman Academic Honor Roll

Sean Taylor's Freshman year profile:

2001 (FRESHMAN): One of just four true freshmen to play for Miami in the 2001 national championship season... carved a niche for himself in Miami's secondary in nickel and dime coverage packages... played in 10 games, making an impact on special teams... had 26 tackles, 20 of which were unassisted... made one solo tackle in his Miami debut at Penn State... had a season-high six tackles (four solos) in a 38-0 win over Temple... had four tackles against both Troy State and Florida State... had three stops against Pittsburgh, West Virginia and Syracuse... had two tackles against Washington.

Tony Conner's Freshman Year Profile:

Freshman All-America first team (Sporting News, 247Sports) and second team (Athlon) ... Freshman All-America honorable mention (College Football News) ... SEC All-Freshman selection (league coaches) ... Played in every game with 12 starts at Huskie ... Third on the team with 66 tackles, while adding 5.0 TFLs, 1.0 sack, one interception and seven passes defended ... Second among SEC freshmen in tackles ... Second on the team with seven passes defended ... Earned first letter ... at Vanderbilt (8/29/13): In his Rebel debut, posted three solo stops and snagged an interception on his first career defensive play ... Also broke up a pass ... vs. Southeast Missouri (9/7/13): Earned his first career start and posted four stops (two solo) ... at Texas (9/14/13): Posted seven tackles (five solo) and a QB hurry in start ... at #1 Alabama (9/28/13): Posted seven tackles (four solo) with a TFL and a QB hurry in start ... at Auburn (10/5/13): Posted five stops (one solo) in start ... vs. #9 Texas A&M (10/12/13): Made four tackles (three solo) with his first career sack and a pass breakup, in start ... vs. #6 LSU (10/19/13): Made seven tackles (five solo) and broke up two passes in start ... vs. Idaho (10/26/13): Made three tackles in start ... vs. Arkansas (11/9/13): Posted four stops (three solo) in start ... vs. Troy (11/16/13): Registered five tackles (two solo) with a TFL in start ... vs. #8 Missouri (11/23/13): Posted six stops (three solo) in start ... at Mississippi State (11/28/13): Made four tackles (three solo) with a TFL, a pass breakup and two QB hurries in start ... Music City Bowl vs. Georgia Tech (12/30/13): Tied his season high with seven tackles, including a TFL, and broke up a pass in start ... Member of the 2013 signing class ... Projected as a Freshman All-America third team pick by Athlon.

Ed Reed redshirted

It seems as though elite safties can have a real impact early. PLAY HIM!!!

War Machine Dawg
07-12-2015, 02:38 PM
It seems people have just forgotten about Bryant in the offseason. Evans is clearly not the answer. Market is coming off a massive injury. Hopefully the early starters are Coman and Bryant with Petersgetting situational duty until he gets the hang of it. If Bryant can't beat out those upperclassmen early on we are in big trouble.

This. Although I think we'll be just fine at safety with Coman and Bryant. Now if Peters can't move ahead of Evans, we're screwed.

DistrictDawg92
07-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Difference between Chris & Jamal situations is Mullen had 2 guys he had confidence in & had proven themselves in the SEC in PJ Jones & Kaleb Eulls. There's not that same known quantity at safety. Not saying he starts but the circumstances are differences.

Yeah I totally agree. My point was just that the #2 recruit in the entire nation won't "start" until his junior year. I think Peters will be right there in the mix, but although we have had struggles at safety, we do have some veterans and they will earn every "start". We won't get a good gauge of how much peters will play after the USM game, I seem to remember Shumpert getting like over 100 yards in his first game as a true freshman against JSU, but after the LSU game I think we will have a good idea of how much Peters will play in 2015. And LSU is a good opponent for Peters to get his feet wet against, night time at home against a run first team that will struggle to throw the ball downfield due to QB play. Put peters right outside the box and play him as essentially an extra linebacker.

dawgs
07-12-2015, 03:08 PM
If market is starting or playing lots of snaps at safety, we are gonna struggle back there more than we did last year. He's gonna be less than a year removed from an Achilles tear basically all season and he was already slow for his position and made up for it with high IQ. But football IQ can only make up for so many shortcomings in talent.

Ralph
07-12-2015, 03:57 PM
I based Perers solely on when Dan said he may be on the 2 deep on day 1. I doubt he'll start a game but I think he sees significant reps and makes some impact plays