PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs in pro baseball

Todd4State
07-10-2015, 08:41 PM
Now that it is almost the All-Star break, here are some of my thoughts on some of our former Bulldogs and how they are doing in the minors.

Ed Easley is back at Memphis and is hitting .260 with 4 HR's. I'm expecting him to get called back up in September unless the Cardinals rash of injuries continue on their way to a 12th World Championship.

Adam Frazier is hitting .382 in AA right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they move him up to AAA by the end of the month if not sooner. I don't think he makes it up this year- but I could see him getting a look in spring training and maybe make it up next year as long as he keeps hitting like he is. He may be a utility guy/role player in MLB, but if he keeps hitting like he is, they will find a spot for him.

Chris Stratton is doing well in AAA 2.23 ERA with 23 K's and 14 BB's (started out with 10 BB's and 9 K's) while allowing 30 hits in 40 IP and holding hitters to a .207 AVG. I could see the Giants calling him up in September and using him out of the bullpen possibly.

Hunter Renfroe has his average up to .254 with 8 HR's in AA. If he stays hot, I see him making it to AAA, but I'm thinking the Padres aren't going to want to start his service clock this year. He'll be on the 40 man roster in spring training and he's probably not any worse than BJ Melvin Upton at this point.

Jacob Lindgren is probably done for the year after having a bone spur removed from his left elbow. Not worth rushing him back at this point in his career. I expect the Yankees to start him in AAA after spring training and then call him up if he looks OK.

Jonathan Holder has an ERA of 2.54 for the Yankees A ball team as a starter, but is on the DL. If he is healthy and keep performing I think he makes it up in a couple of years.

Chad Girodo is doing OK at AA with an ERA of 0.00, but opponents are hitting .290 off of him and he only has 5K's in 9 IP, but he also hasn't walked anybody. I really think that he will eventually make it as a relief pitcher, LOOGY guy in a couple of years, but I think the Blue Jays will start him out in AA again next year unless he improves some of his numbers, but I also think he makes it to AAA next year.

Brett Pirtle is in rookie ball, and is hitting .361. He's old for that league though- so the Tigers should probably go ahead an promote him to A ball and see how he does against the Midwest League. He's kind of like Frazier in that for him to make it, he's going to have to hit at a high level all the way through the minors to get a shot. He will start out in one of the A ball leagues next year.

messageboardsuperhero
07-10-2015, 08:50 PM
Graveman kind of got screwed tonight. He left the game in the sixth with two out and the bases loaded after only surrendering one run- then Drew Pomeranz comes in and walks two runs and gives up an RBI single. Instead of just 1 run in 5.2 innings, he gets credited for 4.

ERA still good at 3.38 though.

messageboardsuperhero
07-10-2015, 08:55 PM
I believe Pirtle got promoted to A+ ball a few days ago.

MsStateBaseball
07-10-2015, 09:08 PM
And remember, as the trading season gets going, any one of them could be in deals or better yet, guys above them get moved so they can move up.

Todd4State
07-10-2015, 10:51 PM
I believe Pirtle got promoted to A+ ball a few days ago.

I looked it up and you are correct. He is in the Florida State League which is one rung below AA.

msstate7
07-10-2015, 10:57 PM
Why does Frazier only have 156 ab's? By comparison, Jose peraza of the Braves has 324

Coach34
07-10-2015, 11:01 PM
Its taken Renfroe over 300 AB's to get to .250

Dawg61
07-11-2015, 01:09 AM
Its taken Renfroe over 300 AB's to get to .250

It was always going to take a little while for Renfroe. He never got pitched to in high school so he's missing years of valuable experience compared to whose he's playing against. He's in AAA playing against older players with tons more experience than him. Renfroe came from the sticks. Cut him some slack dude. He's doing alright in the highest level of the minors only two years removed from MSU.

msstate7
07-11-2015, 05:57 AM
It was always going to take a little while for Renfroe. He never got pitched to in high school so he's missing years of valuable experience compared to whose he's playing against. He's in AAA playing against older players with tons more experience than him. Renfroe came from the sticks. Cut him some slack dude. He's doing alright in the highest level of the minors only two years removed from MSU.

Actually AA. He's 23, so he's not really that young for a prospect in AA.

Needs to cut down on strike outs. He's striking out 26.8% of his ab's. Gotta figure that he'd k at an even higher rate against mlb pitching.

Renfroe is hot right now. Last 10 games (37 ab's)...
.351 avg 2 hr 5 k 4 bb

Hopefully he's figuring things out

Jupiter_Dawg
07-11-2015, 06:32 AM
Pirtle is in the New York Penn league with the Connecticut Tigers which is short season A. Holder pitched yesterday for the Gulf Coast Yankees so I'm sure he will be back with the Florida State League affiliate soon.

shoeless joe
07-11-2015, 08:49 AM
Is Frazier still in pirates system? If so he needs to get traded if he is gonna make it up any time soon. Walker, Harrison, and kang don't seem to be going anywhere any time soon...

msstate7
07-11-2015, 09:02 AM
Is Frazier still in pirates system? If so he needs to get traded if he is gonna make it up any time soon. Walker, Harrison, and kang don't seem to be going anywhere any time soon...

I agree. I can't see Frazier playing for the Pirates

Someone said he's been moved to OF. Without elite speed and no power, he's better served to play 2b. He will not unseat walker though