PDA

View Full Version : Kendrick Market

Ralph
07-09-2015, 02:43 PM
Curious if anyone knows how he's progressing since the achilles tear. I read his profile states he'll be back at full strength for the 2015 season but didn't say at what point in the season.

Tbonewannabe
07-09-2015, 02:48 PM
It makes it tough because Hughes looked a step slower about all year. Market doesn't seem to have any speed to give up. He did make up for it with his high football IQ. He really knows what is going on out on the field. I just hope we don't try to rush him back too fast.

Johnson85
07-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Curious if anyone knows how he's progressing since the achilles tear. I read his profile states he'll be back at full strength for the 2015 season but didn't say at what point in the season.

If by full strength you mean able to play without pain and without significantly elevated risk of re-injury, I'm guessing very early. But going by Hughes and Whitley, I'm guessing he will be noticeably slower for the entire season.

dawgs
07-09-2015, 04:07 PM
Given he tore it at the end of the season, I can't see him being back and close to 100% until very late. Achilles tears usually take a full year of rehab and recovery. Our best bet is to just sit him all season and see about a medical redshirt in the future of he wants to pursue it.

War Machine Dawg
07-09-2015, 11:21 PM
No inside info, but I'll repeat what I've already said 100 times or so: Market will never be the same player. I hate having to say that, because he's my favorite Dawg on D. But I also have to be objective. And I said repeatedly that Nickoe and Hughes wouldn't ever be the same after their Achilles' injuries, so I have to say the same thing for Market. He's going to be at least 1, maybe 2 steps slower. And as other above pointed out, his injury happening so late in the year isn't in his favor either. We should try to get him a med-shirt, if he wants to go that route. If not, he'll probably play, but I don't expect him to be nearly as effective as he was pre-injury. He already was on the borderline of having the required speed for an SEC S, but made up for it with extreme football IQ. If he's lost anything more than a step, even his football IQ won't be able to offset losing that much speed. And one step might even be too much. It sucks, but that's just the way it is.

SDDawg
07-09-2015, 11:35 PM
I think we need to let Market show us what he can do on the field. Until he gets some reps and we see him, we really don't know and shouldn't assume much. My 2 cents...

dawgs
07-10-2015, 12:58 AM
I think we need to let Market show us what he can do on the field. Until he gets some reps and we see him, we really don't know and shouldn't assume much. My 2 cents...

Guys just can't be expected to recover from an Achilles tear in less than a year. Sure he can run and do some things on it, but it's not near pre-injury 100% and it won't be near post-injury 100% either if you don't give it plenty of time to heal.

War Machine Dawg
07-10-2015, 10:23 AM

We've seen this injury twice now at the same position. And what I'm saying is backed up by a doctor buddy. He says the reason Achilles' injuries are so hard to recover from is blood flow to that area. It's an extremity, so it's not like tearing an ACL. Modern medicine just hasn't figured out a good solution yet. Basically, unless you're a medical freak, an Achilles' tear is what an ACL tear was back in the early-to-mid 90s. Not a career ender per se, but certainly an injury that changes your career for the worse.

DistrictDawg92
07-10-2015, 11:08 AM
We have had 3 starting safeties tear their Achilles in the past 3 years. I wonder why safety has been such a problem lately??

War Machine Dawg
07-10-2015, 12:20 PM
We have had 3 starting safeties tear their Achilles in the past 3 years. I wonder why safety has been such a problem lately??

Can't say I hadn't noticed that and wondered about it myself. Definitely seems odd that not only would we have 3 Achilles' tears in 4 years, but that all 3 would happen at the same position. Could just be one of those freak things, though. But if we drop a S to an Achilles' this year, I think we have to start looking at our S&C and how we're practicing with those guys.

dawgs
07-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Can't say I hadn't noticed that and wondered about it myself. Definitely seems odd that not only would we have 3 Achilles' tears in 4 years, but that all 3 would happen at the same position. Could just be one of those freak things, though. But if we drop a S to an Achilles' this year, I think we have to start looking at our S&C and how we're practicing with those guys.

It's just a freak thing. They are doing the same drills as other DBs and the same strength training. All 3 have happened in games too. Shit happens sometimes.