PDA

View Full Version : MSU not on Nichols Restricted Transfer list

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 27m27 minutes ago
Conditions on Austin Nichols' release per source: No AAC school. Nobody on Memphis schedule. And four to-be-determined schools.

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 9m9 minutes ago
The other four schools I mentioned earlier that Austin Nichols will not be released to are Tennessee, Providence, Iowa and Virginia.

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 3m3 minutes ago
What?s hilarious is Memphis denied Tennessee as a possible ?future? opponent. But Memphis has also said it won?t schedule Tennessee.

Get're done Howland

Jacksondevildog
07-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Also, I read Gary Parrish's tweet and he said that Nichols can't be released to a future Memphis opponent. I see that Memphis plays the Rebels next season so that may cut them out. I know that they will for sure try to get him.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Also, I read Gary Parrish's tweet and he said that Nichols can't be released to a future Memphis opponent. I see that Memphis plays the Rebels next season so that may cut them out. I know that they will for sure try to get him.

I didn't even consider them because I'm fairly certain that Howland would win that recruiting battle 49 out of 50 times.

Dawg496
07-09-2015, 11:48 AM
Would he have to sit out a year or is there a sick great uncle somewhere?

Jacksondevildog
07-09-2015, 11:50 AM
I could be wrong, but I believe he went to Briarcrest. Rebel fans think it's their birthright to sign any kid that goes to school there. But based on the press release, Oxford could not be a destination.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Would he have to sit out a year or is there a sick great uncle somewhere?

He'd have to sit out. He's from Memphis.

FreeBoosie
07-09-2015, 12:02 PM
OM is on Memphis' schedule this year, which eliminates them from the sweepstakes.

lachepas565
07-09-2015, 12:41 PM
There always seems to be a lot of confusion regarding transfers and releases. The only thing the release does is allow him to go on scholarship at his new school so he would have to pay his own way. Memphis couldn't prohibit him from going where he wants, even if they don't release him - they could just make it expensive.

The thing I'm not sure about is whether he can use his red-shirt during that year. If he's released, I know he can, but I think you may lose a year if you don't get the release so that may make it prohibitive.

I kinda think the whole thing is BS. A kid should be able to transfer wherever they want - a school shouldn't be able to block that. In this case, I think Nichols sister goes to UT - if he wants to go to UT, he should be able to.

thf24
07-09-2015, 01:00 PM
The thing I'm not sure about is whether he can use his red-shirt during that year. If he's released, I know he can, but I think you may lose a year if you don't get the release so that may make it prohibitive.

Probably wouldn't matter. He's most likely NBA-bound after playing one year.

Dawg61
07-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Probably wouldn't matter. He's most likely NBA-bound after playing one year.

As a 4? Doubtful. He's talented but he's 6'9-6'10 under the rim type of player. Those types don't get drafted in the 1st round usually. If he was deadly from 3 I could see it but he plays more like a Center than the NBA prefers for his height/size.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-09-2015, 01:35 PM
As a 4? Doubtful. He's talented but he's 6'9-6'10 under the rim type of player. Those types don't get drafted in the 1st round usually. If he was deadly from 3 I could see it but he plays more like a Center than the NBA prefers for his height/size.

Correct he's not on anybodies early 2016 Mock Drafts 1st or 2nd rds.

Bubb Rubb
07-09-2015, 01:52 PM

He is actually a decent jumpshooter from distance. Memphis used him on the post which is not the right fit for him in my opinion. I think his stock will take off if someone plugs him in as a 4 who can stretch the floor - a Kevin Love type. But if you read all the stuff going around, Nichols wants to enjoy college, so it may not be a given that he'd be one-and-done anyway.

Quick - who was Kevin Love's college coach? I thought so.

BehindTheScenes
07-09-2015, 01:58 PM
With Tennessee & Virginia out of the way, I like our chances a lot more than previously. The other places he took visits to out of high school were Auburn, Duke, and Vanderbilt, FWIW. Goes without saying that this would be a huge pickup and there's always room for a guy of his caliber.

fishwater99
07-09-2015, 03:24 PM
I am sure Big Ben is on it..

MaroomerMill
07-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Nichols will look great in maroon and white

BehindTheScenes
07-09-2015, 04:31 PM
As noted in the other Austin Nichols thread, he has connections to MSU (high school friends) and has been spotted in Starkville many times during football weekends, Super Bulldog, etc. One of his best friends at State was contacted today by Ben Howland - he's all over it.

messageboardsuperhero
07-09-2015, 04:52 PM
As noted in the other Austin Nichols thread, he has connections to MSU (high school friends) and has been spotted in Starkville many times during football weekends, Super Bulldog, etc. One of his best friends at State was contacted today by Ben Howland - he's all over it.

It's nice to have a competent coach who understands how to take advantage of his connections and use an "in" when he has one.

DistrictDawg92
07-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Yes I know for sure that Howland is personally contacting students who are friends with Nichols. I would be shocked if he didn't end up at State.

DawgInMemphis
07-10-2015, 11:24 AM
Take it for what it's worth, but when this story broke earlier this week Gary Parrish threw out a few names of schools that were "interested" in Nichols (of course there are many, many schools that are interested overall). The few schools he threw out were all blue bloods - UK, Kansas, UNC, etc. - and Mississippi State. Parrish has a relationship with Howland. Perhaps there's a reason he mentioned us among the elite.

messageboardsuperhero
07-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Yes I know for sure that Howland is personally contacting students who are friends with Nichols. I would be shocked if he didn't end up at State.

If not, at least we're putting our best foot forward and going after him with all we've got- which is really all you can ask for.

DistrictDawg92
07-10-2015, 12:28 PM
Take it for what it's worth, but when this story broke earlier this week Gary Parrish threw out a few names of schools that were "interested" in Nichols (of course there are many, many schools that are interested overall). The few schools he threw out were all blue bloods - UK, Kansas, UNC, etc. - and Mississippi State. Parrish has a relationship with Howland. Perhaps there's a reason he mentioned us among the elite.

Gary Parrish really isn't in the know here, or even Howland right now if he is calling students just yesterday to try to get Nichols father's phone number. Our biggest obstacle here is Virginia. He is appealing the transfer ban on Virginia, and if he wins the appeal he is most likely heading there. If the appeal is denied we are in the drivers seat. So the Virginia appeal is what we need to watching closely.

messageboardsuperhero
07-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Gary Parrish really isn't in the know here, or even Howland right now if he is calling students just yesterday to try to get Nichols father's phone number. Our biggest obstacle here is Virginia. He is appealing the transfer ban on Virginia, and if he wins the appeal he is most likely heading there. If the appeal is denied we are in the drivers seat. So the Virginia appeal is what we need to watching closely.

Is Howland contacting students just to talk to the family for the first time, or has he already been in contact with the family and is just trying to get students to help him recruit Nichols? That's the question.