PDA

View Full Version : Watching the 1999 Egg Bowl reminds me of so much...

Coach34
07-08-2015, 09:40 PM
1. Cutcliffe is the best coach Ole Missus has had since Vault
2. Wayne Madkin was not a good QB
3. Pig Prather may have actually tried to throw that game
4. I really loved Tirico, Herby, and Corso doing games
5. I smile hearing Flick announce
6. Its great seeing Dontae when he had NFL talent
7. Loved seeing Sparky run the Speed Sweep with Kelvin Love. He and I had a 30 minute convo in his office during the July 7 on 7 camp on how to get the timing just right. To hear him tell me I did a damn good job teaching the timing with my kids made me feel 10 ft tall.
8. Ashley Cooper was such a badass
9. Robert Bean was a better CB than Smoot. He just didnt have the size- but he still logged some NFL time
10. Sluder, Stephens, and company on that DL was special
11. Wayne Madkin was not a good QB
12. Dicenzo Miller is a straight winner
13. Auburn 2014 was awesome- but 99 may still be my favorite
14. Our OL really was not that good that year- but running the Power and Micheal Fair pulling around was done well.
15. The fake screen and throw to the TE for the TD was an awesome play design by Woods. I used it the next couple years and scored a couple myself with it.
16. Westerfield made some big kicks- but he hooked the piss out of that XP on the 1st TD
17. I love that uniform and helmet. Best we have ever had

FlabLoser
07-08-2015, 09:42 PM
The 2014 would mop the floor with the 1999 team.

5 Star
07-08-2015, 09:43 PM
Ran into Ashley Cooper a few years ago in Destin. Still jacked. Dude had some upper arms on him.

Coach34
07-08-2015, 09:43 PM
The 2014 would mop the floor with the 1999 team.

No doubt...but I still loved that 99 team

Pollodawg
07-08-2015, 09:45 PM
What made it so special was that it was a big comeback to beat our arch rival in front of millions on prime time TV after we played like ass for four quarters. And you're right, coach. I had forgotten what a mediocre QB Madkin really was. Nostalgia for better days through out the early and mid 2,000s made us forget how abysmal our passing game was then.

5 Star
07-08-2015, 09:51 PM
If Fant and Madkin had swapped ages, we'd have probably won a title in 1999 or 2000.

Coach34
07-08-2015, 10:08 PM
I remember going nuts on that Cirmones TD...so awesome

Coach34
07-08-2015, 10:09 PM
If Fant and Madkin had swapped ages, we'd have probably won a title in 1999 or 2000.

yep

shoeless joe
07-08-2015, 10:37 PM
I had almost the exact same thoughts while watching it.

But I will AD a couple...

1) Corso didn't make any sense back then either.
2) The refs were absolutely horrible. We got the benefit of the doubt on the love fumble right before the miller TD run and that was no way a catch on smoot's INT.

Todd4State
07-08-2015, 11:37 PM
I always though Sparky was a pretty good OC for us.

War Machine Dawg
07-09-2015, 12:11 AM
I always though Sparky was a pretty good OC for us.

Totally agree. Never understood why he got vilified by our fans. He did the best job he could within the framework of what JWS allowed his OCs to do. The Kang just couldn't handle opening up an offense and throwing it.

War Machine Dawg
07-09-2015, 12:17 AM
7. Loved seeing Sparky run the Speed Sweep with Kelvin Love. He and I had a 30 minute convo in his office during the July 7 on 7 camp on how to get the timing just right. To hear him tell me I did a damn good job teaching the timing with my kids made me feel 10 ft tall.
9. Robert Bean was a better CB than Smoot. He just didnt have the size- but he still logged some NFL time
14. Our OL really was not that good that year- but running the Power and Micheal Fair pulling around was done well.
15. The fake screen and throw to the TE for the TD was an awesome play design by Woods. I used it the next couple years and scored a couple myself with it.
16. Westerfield made some big kicks- but he hooked the piss out of that XP on the 1st TD

If we'd had the '98 or '00 OL with the '99 D, we'd have won it all. Even with Madkin at QB. That '99 OL was HUGE, but almost all of them were slow as shit. Paul Mooney would be the poster child for them. Still, they were able to wear down defenses with sheer size, which led to all those 4th Quarter comebacks that season.

It's amazing how close The Kang came to having a really great team. Unfortunately, there were always 1-2 things out of sync. In '99, it was OL even moreso than QB play. In '00, it was QB play and injuries down the stretch. '98, QB play. Sensing a theme here? JWS never developed a QB worth a damn. Madkin had some raw skill, but he never made significant improvement. Makes me wonder what Mullen could do with him.

LeakyD
07-09-2015, 04:57 AM
A buddy of mine got me a photo pass for this game. I laid the camera down and followed the action down the sidelines. I stood on the West sideline by the OM cheerleaders for part of this game. It was crazy how a couple of them screamed at the officials almost nonstop.

After Clinton's int, I centered myself behind the goalposts. Once the ball was in the air, there was never a doubt. I regret not running up a few yards to catch it.

If y'all remember, Cut took lots of heat for not taking a knee and going to overtime. But earlier in the year, he played safe and lost to Vandy. OM fans railed on him for not playing for the win that game. I've always felt that was part of the reason for his ill-advised one man route. It's not like Miller was throwing to a Moulds or Treadwell.

7dawg
07-09-2015, 07:28 AM
Favorite from that game was watching the replay on TV of the kick and pick. When Eugene grabbed the ball you could see what looked like a UM assistant coach fall to his knees in agony. That was great.

msstate7
07-09-2015, 07:31 AM
Ran into Ashley Cooper a few years ago in Destin. Still jacked. Dude had some upper arms on him.

Still probably my favorite defensive dawg

FlabLoser
07-09-2015, 07:50 AM
The 99 team was fun. Even if they played the New England Patriots, they'd give you a chance in the 4th quarter.

What stood out to me is that in 2015, the game has changed from 1999. Players are now are a lot more skilled.

archdog
07-09-2015, 08:14 AM
yep

Since we are talking about players switching years/teams. How awesome would Omar Conner be in Mullen's system, either at WR or QB? Just imagine if we had him for the Lee years.

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2015, 08:27 AM
Madkin was a winner. The dude played over half a season with a pin in a finger of his throwing hand that kept it locked where he could throw the ball. He remains one of my all time favorite MSU players.

drunkernhelldawg
07-09-2015, 08:34 AM
Here we go again. Fant fantasies. Woulda. Coulda Shoulda. Leave Fant alone. Nobody wants to put down all the minuses after so much time has passed. It's not fair to him.

Madkin was a great leader for our offense. JWS knew what he was doing when he put Madkin in charge of the first MSU team to win 10 games.

5 Star
07-09-2015, 08:38 AM
Here we go again. Fant fantasies. Woulda. Coulda Shoulda. Leave Fant alone. Nobody wants to put down all the minuses after so much time has passed. It's not fair to him.

Madkin was a great leader for our offense. JWS knew what he was doing when he put Madkin in charge of the first MSU team to win 10 games.

A quarterback coach, Jackie was not, at least at MSU. He invented the senior quarterback curse.

5 Star
07-09-2015, 08:42 AM
Madkin was a winner. The dude played over half a season with a pin in a finger of his throwing hand that kept it locked where he could throw the ball. He remains one of my all time favorite MSU players.

So much of a winner that he basically did nothing leading up to his senior year, including skipping numerous practices. So much of a leader that he had to fake an injury on senior year because Fant had taken his spot.

I am not going to downplay what he did for us, the accomplishments speak for themselves. And some of it might have been the senior quarterback curse, dead indians and all. But the lack of effort leading up to 2001 didn't sit well with me. Of course, Jackie was losing control at that time, so it wasn't any one player. It certainly got much worse in the following years.

Bama_Dawg
07-09-2015, 08:46 AM
Ya'll reminded me of when I got to meet Madkin:

During the last 5 weeks of the summer semester the team had an unofficial meet the team night at Ricks. It was during the middle of the week, I think a Tuesday. There were about 15 guys from the team there and including staff from Ricks, about 20 other people in the entire bar. We really got to know a few of the guys that night. A buddy and I were sitting at the bar and Madkin walks up, introduces himself and we have about a 5 minute conversation. Then he leaves. About 15 minutes later, he comes back, introduces himself, again, and we have an eerily similar conversation. We dismiss it. Then about 20 minutes later the EXACT same thing happens again!

After the 3rd time we leave and decide that unfortunately Wayne probably can't remember the play from the huddle to the line.

I really wish I made that up.

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2015, 08:52 AM
The fact remains that Madkin was the QB for two of the best seasons in school history. Some people have never forgiven him for that.

Bama_Dawg
07-09-2015, 09:00 AM
The fact remains that Madkin was the QB for two of the best seasons in school history. Some people have never forgiven him for that.

Nothing to forgive Liverpool, I also recall that Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl, but that doesn't make him a great QB.

Maroonthirteen
07-09-2015, 09:35 AM
What stood out to me is that in 2015, the game has changed from 1999. Players are now are a lot more skilled.

Exactly. GO back and watch a game from 1980 (when we were really good) compared to 1999 or even 99 vs 91,92.... In 99 the players were more skilled than in 80, 81 and the offenses were much more advanced. Same for 2015 vs 1999. Hell, I remember it being just short of a miracle if comepleted a long pass in 91 and 92. We were good those years too.

I have met Madkin. Nice guy, loyal Bulldog.

I don't get our fans trashing graduated players.

FlabLoser
07-09-2015, 10:46 AM
The Sherrill era changed MSU football for the foreseeable future. I really, really doubt we'd be where we are now without Sherrill. So don't trash those guys. They won more than MSU had ever won to that point in our lifetimes. They made us believe what our program could be. They laid the foundation for what Mullen is building on today.

Madkin, Fant, Sleepy Robinson...all those guys and their teammates were damn great Bulldogs.

BrunswickDawg
07-09-2015, 11:00 AM
The Sherrill era changed MSU football for the foreseeable future. I really, really doubt we'd be where we are now without Sherrill. So don't trash those guys. They won more than MSU had ever won to that point in our lifetimes. They made us believe what our program could be. They laid the foundation for what Mullen is building on today.

Madkin, Fant, Sleepy Robinson...all those guys and their teammates were damn great Bulldogs.
People need to keep in mind too that as a whole, the year-round conditioning and x&o learning was no where near what it is today. Think of it like stories you hear about Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth being out all night and never working out - there was no real expectation (or need for that matter) to work and live the same way that elite athletes do now. The early 2000s was really the transition period for CFB that began to really "professionalize" the approach of the athlete to what it is now. We shouldn't bash guys in the 90s for doing what was the norm then.

LC Dawg
07-09-2015, 11:10 AM

I agree. I love all former Bulldogs unless they've done something to disparage Mississippi State. I had a conversation with Sleepy recently and his conditioning included spending a lot of time at The Landing.

Coach34
07-09-2015, 11:30 AM

and if we had had a good QB- they would have been championship seasons. Madkin was the weak link

Tbonewannabe
07-09-2015, 11:55 AM
and if we had had a good QB- they would have been championship seasons. Madkin was the weak link

His senior year, I remember a hell of a lot of dropped passes. The Oline wasn't great either. Madkin came through in some clutch situations so I can't say anything bad about him. He wasn't great but he was pretty good.

Tbonewannabe
07-09-2015, 11:58 AM
I will say that 99 Defense is probably the best I have ever seen live. Those Bama National title Defenses were good but they had a hell of a lot more help than the 99 D. If we had the offense from 2000 with the defense of 99, I don't think we would have lost a game.

Pollodawg
07-09-2015, 12:00 PM
36 tds to 35 ints is not a good QB, folks. I have absolutely nothing against Wayne, but let's be real here. Nostalgia has colored your opinions.

5 Star
07-09-2015, 12:05 PM
If we had the offense from 2000 with the defense of 99, I don't think we would have lost a game.
We shouldn't have lost a game with the offense we did have. Phantom holding call against Pig, and the Arkansas game the following week was a letdown and we still only lost 14-9. If I remember correctly we had every chance to win that game even then.

Coach34
07-09-2015, 12:40 PM
His senior year, I remember a hell of a lot of dropped passes. The Oline wasn't great either. Madkin came through in some clutch situations so I can't say anything bad about him. He wasn't great but he was pretty good.

If he had been "pretty good"- he wouldnt have needed Wyatt to come in and save some games. How quickly people forget that if we hadnt subbed in Wyatt in 1999- that would have been a 6-5 team

FlabLoser
07-09-2015, 01:18 PM
I will say that 99 Defense is probably the best I have ever seen live. Those Bama National title Defenses were good but they had a hell of a lot more help than the 99 D. If we had the offense from 2000 with the defense of 99, I don't think we would have lost a game.

I remember Gary Danielson saying "these guys just line up anywhere and come after you". It was a great defense with great athletes. Great DBs especially.

Sometimes Gary would draw a line on the screen 5 yards on the D side of the LOS saying "look at that! there's nobody behind this line!"....Sack!

I don't think JLD was a X&O defensive genius like Saban. But whatever he did gave other offenses hell for a couple years.

BulldogBear
07-09-2015, 01:32 PM
The Sherrill era changed MSU football for the foreseeable future. I really, really doubt we'd be where we are now without Sherrill. So don't trash those guys. They won more than MSU had ever won to that point in our lifetimes. They made us believe what our program could be. They laid the foundation for what Mullen is building on today.Madkin, Fant, Sleepy Robinson...all those guys and their teammates were damn great Bulldogs.

Wrong. Sylvester Croom did that remember*****

Tbonewannabe
07-09-2015, 01:38 PM
If he had been "pretty good"- he wouldnt have needed Wyatt to come in and save some games. How quickly people forget that if we hadnt subbed in Wyatt in 1999- that would have been a 6-5 team

Wyatt also lost the Ark game when Madkin went down. Also Wyatt threw a pick with a little over 2 minutes at AU. Without that shutdown defense we don't get the ball back. The game winning TD should have been a pick. Madkin was pretty good for what we had before but wasn't great. There was a reason Wyatt came off the bench.

Pollodawg
07-09-2015, 01:44 PM
Wyatt also lost the Ark game when Madkin went down. Also Wyatt threw a pick with a little over 2 minutes at AU. Without that shutdown defense we don't get the ball back. The game winning TD should have been a pick. Madkin was pretty good for what we had before but wasn't great. There was a reason Wyatt came off the bench.

I have to disagree. One good pass out of every seven or so doesn't make you even a "pretty good" QB. I watched that replay and thought, "damn, I remember Wayne being better than that for some reason" as well. So, I see where coach is coming from.

MSUDawg99
07-09-2015, 01:46 PM

#2 bout Wayne Madkin was so bad you had to mention that twice (see #11) huh? Ha!

Tbonewannabe
07-09-2015, 02:01 PM
I have to disagree. One good pass out of every seven or so doesn't make you even a "pretty good" QB. I watched that replay and thought, "damn, I remember Wayne being better than that for some reason" as well. So, I see where coach is coming from.

I don't think we had much of anything on offense in 99. I don't think Madkin was that good in 99 but had a good year in 2000. I just don't see any reason to run him down. He was better than a lot of other QBs that have played for us. He stepped up and made some big plays when it counted. I will never forget his lunge across the goal line at the Snow Bowl. He was also a really nice guy.

BrunswickDawg
07-09-2015, 02:03 PM
I agree. I love all former Bulldogs unless they've done something to disparage Mississippi State. I had a conversation with Sleepy recently and his conditioning included spending a lot of time at The Landing.
I can vouch for that. Sleepy was a regular at The Landing. A good number of football and baseball players were. I guy I went to HS with was on the baseball team. For 4 years I ran into him every time I went to the landing - never saw him on campus except at Dudy Noble.

Pollodawg
07-09-2015, 02:07 PM
I don't think we had much of anything on offense in 99. I don't think Madkin was that good in 99 but had a good year in 2000. I just don't see any reason to run him down. He was better than a lot of other QBs that have played for us. He stepped up and made some big plays when it counted. I will never forget his lunge across the goal line at the Snow Bowl. He was also a really nice guy.

He and Chris Relf were remarkably similar when it came to stats. I'm not trying to run the man down. I am just pointing out that its likely that nostalgia colored a lot of out perceptions of Makdin's ability.

Tbonewannabe
07-09-2015, 02:16 PM
He and Chris Relf were remarkably similar when it came to stats. I'm not trying to run the man down. I am just pointing out that its likely that nostalgia colored a lot of out perceptions of Makdin's ability.

Relf also led us to a Gator Bowl win. I think if Madkin had Dan calling the offense, he would have been as good as Tyler Russell. Under Jackie, we had almost no QB development. Madkin was a good runner with a pretty strong arm.

bulldogcountry1
07-09-2015, 02:34 PM

How many times did the offense run out for the first series, only to have Madkin call a TO and kill the energy of the stadium?

Billy Ray Valentine
07-09-2015, 06:18 PM
Madkin's job was not to lose the game. That's it

CohenSidedWithGreatness
07-10-2015, 10:30 AM
This is one of my all time favorites in person.