PDA

View Full Version : The other Malik

msstate7
07-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Dear, that is... How you guys see us using him this year or will we use him this year? I'm really pumped about this kid.

Harrydawg
07-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Dear I assume? I think he'll redshirt but I am also very excited about him.

Pollodawg
07-08-2015, 09:14 PM
He'll probably redshirt this year unless he is just too good not to see the field. He'll be an all purpose back.

Pollodawg
07-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Paging Ifyouonlyknew.

Harrydawg
07-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Guys, this sort of thing is what marks the fact that we have finally turned the corner!

We have the depth and talented depth to redshirt talents like Malik Dear and so on........just let that sink in, we may actually redshirt 3 and 4 star talent.

If you continually rely on true freshman to play quality minutes against teams that don't have to, you will get beat more times than not........

Coach34
07-08-2015, 09:21 PM
I see him as a non-factor

We have Prescott, Shump, Williams, and Lee getting 95% of the carries in 2015. There are no carries to be had for him

msstate7
07-08-2015, 09:27 PM

We have Prescott, Shump, Williams, and Lee getting 95% of the carries in 2015. There are no carries to be had for him

You don't think his quickness would be a great compliment to those guys' power?

hailmari
07-08-2015, 09:33 PM
You don't think his quickness would be a great compliment to those guys' power?

Secret weapon: Brandon Holloway.
Codename: hollywooooood

But seriously, Gabe Myles will probably get the sweep plays and what not. I'd love to see Dear in action though.

mic
07-08-2015, 09:34 PM
I don't think he RS
Was here to go thru spring ball. I bet we find a few snaps for him
If I remember correctly I think he was being used a lot on KOR
Plus we will probably redshirt DThomas, Mixon, Murphy, and Gibson.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2015, 09:35 PM
I think he plays. How much is anybody guess but he was electric in the spring. He's still transforming his body but he was being used in a true Harvin role unlike Bump or Tubby.

engie
07-08-2015, 10:06 PM
I think he plays. How much is anybody guess but he was electric in the spring. He's still transforming his body but he was being used in a true Harvin role unlike Bump or Tubby.

Exactly. We don't have anyone else with that skillset or versatility really...

blacklistedbully
07-08-2015, 10:44 PM
Secret weapon: Brandon Holloway.
Codename: hollywooooood

But seriously, Gabe Myles will probably get the sweep plays and what not. I'd love to see Dear in action though.

Malik Dear, whether he plays this year or next, should be called, "Malik 'runs like a' Dear". Maybe I'll make a t-shirt. ;)

AlSwearengen
07-08-2015, 11:14 PM

I thought he was being used in the slot?

Todd4State
07-08-2015, 11:28 PM
I think we will use Dear like Dan used Harvin in Florida. We've never really had anyone like him since Dan has been here. I think he will be used in the slot and also at RB and I think he will get at least three touches a game.

I think Dear will help us replace Josh and his explosiveness.

Bothrops
07-09-2015, 12:36 AM
I think Dear plays. We are so fricking loaded here, but I think his running style and ability to catch and turn on the heat gives us yet another weapon. A weapon that could be used in tandem with Aeris' abilities. We have never had as many playmakers available on offense as we're about to get. Our RB situation in 2016 is going to be very interesting, yet exciting. I think the best of the bunch, outside of Lee is going to be an incoming freshman.

whosyourdawgy
07-09-2015, 12:49 AM
Our RB situation is phenomenal
Shump
Aeries
D Lee
Holloway
Malik
Gibson
and the one I think is gonna be electric for us Mixon

To think we may well redshirt 2 RB's that could arguably been the best 2 backs coming out of Alabama last year is just crazy to me. The Rb competition should be fun to watch

CadaverDawg
07-09-2015, 01:43 AM
Shump
Aeries
D Lee
Holloway
Malik
Gibson

To think we may well redshirt 2 RB's that could arguably been the best 2 backs coming out of Alabama last year is just crazy to me. The Rb competition should be fun to watch

What about the kid out of Missouri? Murphy maybe? His name escapes me right now, but many aren't even mentioning him and he was the top RB in that state if I'm not mistaken. Someone help me out, or tell me to go back to sleep if I've lost my mind

Bothrops
07-09-2015, 02:24 AM
Alec Murphy. If he stays healthy he's going to be hell. https://youtu.be/0vP2qCwka2M

msstate7
07-09-2015, 06:30 AM
I think we're gonna be good at rb, but I do have a little concern about the position too. Shump started coming on at the end of last season, but he struggled early imo. Holloway is the only other back with experience and I have zero confidence in him to get yards in an sec game. I really like lee, aeris, dear, Gibson, Mixon, and Murphy, but none have a college rush yet.

Dawg496
07-09-2015, 06:48 AM
I think Dear plays and gets a few touches a game. Probably as much as Graham played last year. If any skill position player plays on offense, it'll be him.

But it's insane how much offensive firepower we signed in this class. It's going to be fun to watch it mature in Fitz/Staley's junior/senior seasons.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-09-2015, 07:38 AM
Lumping Mixon & Dear in with the RB is doing them a disservice. Right now they're more a slot WR than RB. They'll be used all around & more in the slot than in the backfield.

BiscuitEater
07-09-2015, 07:58 AM
I think we're gonna be good at rb, but I do have a little concern about the position too. Shump started coming on at the end of last season, but he struggled early imo. Holloway is the only other back with experience and I have zero confidence in him to get yards in an sec game. I really like lee, aeris, dear, Gibson, Mixon, and Murphy, but none have a college rush yet.

just happens to be the easiest position to make the transition from HS to college. Also, we happen to have a good RB coach and a good running game plan. Think we pass more than last year due to emergence of outstanding receivers and senior QB .. BUT think we have to also have a reliable running game.

NO team is going to win the SEC West without a reliable running attack, too.

Over the last 10 years, six true freshmen running backs have rushed for 1,000 yards:

? Darren McFadden, Arkansas 1,113 yards (2005)
? Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina, 1,197 yards (2010)
? Michael Dyer, Auburn 1,093 yards (2010)
? Todd Gurley, Georgia, 1,385 yards (2012)
? TJ Yeldon, Alabama, 1,108 yards (2012)
? Alex Collins, Arkansas, 1,026 yards (2013)

msstate7
07-09-2015, 08:04 AM
just happens to be the easiest position to make the transition from HS to college. Also, we happen to have a good RB coach and a good running game plan. Think we pass more than last year due to emergence of outstanding receivers and senior QB .. BUT think we have to also have a reliable running game.

NO team is going to win the SEC West without a reliable running attack, too.

Over the last 10 years, six true freshmen running backs have rushed for 1,000 yards:

? Darren McFadden, Arkansas 1,113 yards (2005)
? Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina, 1,197 yards (2010)
? Michael Dyer, Auburn 1,093 yards (2010)
? Todd Gurley, Georgia, 1,385 yards (2012)
? TJ Yeldon, Alabama, 1,108 yards (2012)
? Alex Collins, Arkansas, 1,026 yards (2013)

That's a whole lotta talent on that list. Which freshman that we have compares to those guys?

Tbonewannabe
07-09-2015, 08:20 AM
We don't have to have 1 guy with 1,000 yards. We will have a combination of guys.

BiscuitEater
07-09-2015, 08:31 AM
That's a whole lotta talent on that list. Which freshman that we have compares to those guys?

Coaches are ecstatic with progress that Dontavian Lee (53 yards/ 11 carries) has made since making it to State. Aeries Williams is another who we know has talent. Neither has a college carry.

Both are RSFR RBs AND both are behind Ashton Shumpert.

We will NOT start a true Freshman RB because it is not Dan *******' running game philosophy. Think that both Lee and Aeries will play with Shump getting majority of carries UNLESS one emerges as clearly superior.

Where'sWaldo
07-09-2015, 09:41 AM

I couldn't agree with you more. Everyone is pumping sunshine and rainbows based on our past success with RB's but I'm not taking anything for granted. We have Shumpert who underwhelmed last year and busted a few runs at the end of year where he was untouched until about 10 yards down the field. I saw a running back who ran extremely square and gained little to no yards after contact. He has size so everyone assumes he gets yards after contact but in reality his pad level doesn't allow him to do that. I've seen Aeris Williams once in the spring game and he looked serviceable but not all world. The best looking guy in the group was Dontavian Lee and we have no idea how many carries he will get. Mullen has been known to not play our best RB(remember when Josh sat behind Perkins). We could end up just fine at RB but to say our RB situation is phenomenal would be premature.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-09-2015, 09:54 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. Everyone is pumping sunshine and rainbows based on our past success with RB's but I'm not taking anything for granted. We have Shumpert who underwhelmed last year and busted a few runs at the end of year where he was untouched until about 10 yards down the field. I saw a running back who ran extremely square and gained little to no yards after contact. He has size so everyone assumes he gets yards after contact but in reality his pad level doesn't allow him to do that. I've seen Aeris Williams once in the spring game and he looked serviceable but not all world. The best looking guy in the group was Dontavian Lee and we have no idea how many carries he will get. Mullen has been known to not play our best RB(remember when Josh sat behind Perkins). We could end up just fine at RB but to say our RB situation is phenomenal would be premature.

I don't know if anybody is saying our RB situation will be phenomenal but what people are saying is when is the last time our RB situation has been bad? We've always had decent to really good RB play I think that's where the lack of concern comes from.

mic
07-09-2015, 09:59 AM
Running back is the least of our worries... We will be fine..
Shump may not be JRob in terms of rushing years. But he is probably a better fit overall at how we us our RB...

Johnson85
07-09-2015, 10:14 AM
Guys, this sort of thing is what marks the fact that we have finally turned the corner!

We have the depth and talented depth to redshirt talents like Malik Dear and so on........just let that sink in, we may actually redshirt 3 and 4 star talent.

If you continually rely on true freshman to play quality minutes against teams that don't have to, you will get beat more times than not........

We've been redshirting 3 and 4 start talent since Dan got here (mostly 3 stars since that's mostly what we had but even 4 stars I think it's been the exception to play as a true freshman). The difference is before we were redshirting guys that could have been a marginal improvement over some of the guys playing, but were looking long term. Now unless it's safety, we don't have any glaring holes where we need a true freshman to step up.

BiscuitEater
07-09-2015, 10:17 AM

Sorry, read the thread twice and just couldn't find ANYONE that said our RB situation 'is phenomenal.'

BUT, it doesn't need to be for several reasons. State ALSO happens to have a QB that rushed for ~1000 yards last year. No other SEC team has that weapon. We also have developed receivers that will take the pressure off the running game .. NO ONE will be able to stack 8 along the line and not pay the price.

MSU didn't have a 'phenomenal' RB situation last year and still rushed for over 3000 yards. Meanwhile, we passed for 3600 yards. I just don't see us 'regressing' on offense or on the running attack.

I'm just not going to loose any sleep over MSU RB situation as long as the current staff is in place.

engie
07-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Good idea -- let's be concerned about the position that we haven't been without a drafted NFL guy on campus in what is going on 25 years now...

And on the Robinson/Perkins debate -- it's quite obvious in hindsight that Robinson wasn't handling all of his business required to be able to play. Nevermind his blocking and assignment issues. I thought he looked as good as any RB we had ever had for the majority of last year, but then thought he shut it down last year once his NFL future was secured...

mic
07-09-2015, 10:50 AM
Good idea -- let's be concerned about the position that we haven't been without a drafted NFL guy on campus in what is going on 25 years now...

And on the Robinson/Perkins debate -- it's quite obvious in hindsight that Robinson wasn't handling all of his business required to be able to play. Nevermind his blocking and assignment issues. I thought he looked as good as any RB we had ever had for the majority of last year, but then thought he shut it down last year once his NFL future was secured...

Exactly... Im betting the locker room and chemistry between players and between players and coaches is much better with the RB's going into this season....
Much more to RB than just yards gained....

LC Dawg
07-09-2015, 11:03 AM
We may not have a phenomenal running back but I'd say we have a phenomenal running back situation because we have a quarterback named Dak Prescott who takes a lot of pressure off of running backs.

msstate7
07-09-2015, 11:07 AM

Not that I'm really concerned about rb, but our history of good safeties didn't translate last year

Dawg496
07-09-2015, 11:10 AM
Any chance we get back to that shovel pass play we used with Boobie a lot Mullen's first year? I recall seeing it against Auburn as well last year but it was with Malcolm Johnson. Maybe it just works better with a bigger back? Football experts any thoughts on that?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-09-2015, 11:17 AM
Not that I'm really concerned about rb, but our history of good safeties didn't translate last year

Yea but our safety play hasn't really been what I'd call good since Mitchell & young Nickoe. That's been quite a few years. We've been serviceable but not good.

msstate7
07-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Yea but our safety play hasn't really been what I'd call good since Mitchell & young Nickoe. That's been quite a few years. We've been serviceable but not good.

Couldn't you say we just serviceable in '13 at rb?

smootness
07-09-2015, 11:26 AM
If Dear is good enough, he will play. We're not going to redshirt just because our backfield situation is deep. If he is talented enough and ready, he will jump guys on the depth chart.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Couldn't you say we just serviceable in '13 at rb?

Yes you could but if combine Perk & JRob carries that year they rushed for almost 1100yds. We just didn't have that 1 guy who was the bell cow that year.

Tbonewannabe
07-09-2015, 12:04 PM

I was thinking this is a big reason JRob didn't play more. He was pulled several times last year. Other than a couple of highlight plays, I don't think we end up missing him too much. I think Shumpert is going to be dependable and we will lean on him while the freshmen get their feet wet.

engie
07-09-2015, 12:34 PM

We've got a 25 year run of drafted safeties?

We haven't had good safety play since mid 2011 IMO...

Coach34
07-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Dear may play a little- I just dont see him as an impact player as a True Freshman. Plus, to play him we have to take Ross off the field. The slot is never going to run the ball much- so thats why i compared him to the RB's when talking about carries. The Slot position is a WR that may run the ball once or twice- thats it.

I'm not playing Dear as a true Freshman to keep and Myles on the sideline watching. That would be dumb.

And anybody worrying about our RB position is not bright or hasnt paid attention. This group will be good and produce. We are going to have a physical backfield in 2015. Plus- all of them catch the ball very well. This is the best I've felt about RB since we had Ballard/Perkins

blacklistedbully
07-09-2015, 01:14 PM
I wonder whether or not our staff looks at Dak being a senior and is thinking this may be our best shot ever to compete again for a NC, and whether that will impact who's redshirts they decide to burn this year.

In other words, do we perhaps burn some we wouldn't otherwise, knowing we may not use them much, but by having them even a little, we maybe increase our chance of winning it all this year.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-09-2015, 01:24 PM
I wonder whether or not our staff looks at Dak being a senior and is thinking this may be our best shot ever to compete again for a NC, and whether that will impact who's redshirts they decide to burn this year.

In other words, go we perhaps burn some we wouldn't otherwise, knowing we may not use them much, but by having them even a little, we maybe increase our chance of winning it all this year.

No. In the coaches mind they don't see this as some all or nothing type season. They expect seasons like last year to be the norm. Of course they know they have something special with Dak but they're not going to go away from their system bc of it.

Where'sWaldo
07-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Shump
Aeries
D Lee
Holloway
Malik
Gibson

This is where I pulled the "phenomenal" quote. When Perk was our RB in 2013 we were not a very good short yardage rushing team. I'm not being negative I just think RB is a position where someone has to step up and it's not a guarantee that will happen.

Pollodawg
07-09-2015, 02:02 PM
No. In the coaches mind they don't see this as some all or nothing type season. They expect seasons like last year to be the norm. Of course they know they have something special with Dak but they're not going to go away from their system bc of it.

What are the coaches saying about this year? What are they confident about? What keeps them up at night? You have the inside scoop.

Tbonewannabe
07-09-2015, 02:07 PM
This is where I pulled the "phenomenal" quote. When Perk was our RB in 2013 we were not a very good short yardage rushing team. I'm not being negative I just think RB is a position where someone has to step up and it's not a guarantee that will happen.

JRob was good to great running the ball until the end when it seemed obvious he was trying to stay healthy for the NFL. He was a good pass catcher but being that short makes it harder on the QB. He was a horrific pass blocker. If one of the redshirt freshmen step up, we might be better all around. Another year of Dak improving is going to be the biggest benefit to the entire offense.

engie
07-09-2015, 02:13 PM

Who was our QB in those situations where we had trouble running the ball? Perkins wasn't the primary problem there...

smootness
07-09-2015, 02:25 PM
Dear may play a little- I just dont see him as an impact player as a True Freshman. Plus, to play him we have to take Ross off the field. The slot is never going to run the ball much- so thats why i compared him to the RB's when talking about carries. The Slot position is a WR that may run the ball once or twice- thats it.

I'm not playing Dear as a true Freshman to keep and Myles on the sideline watching. That would be dumb.

And anybody worrying about our RB position is not bright or hasnt paid attention. This group will be good and produce. We are going to have a physical backfield in 2015. Plus- all of them catch the ball very well. This is the best I've felt about RB since we had Ballard/Perkins

I play Dear over Myles if he's better, and he very well may be. Just my opinion, but I think our fans overrate Myles. I think he's a nice player who isn't anything special.

And they don't really play the same position. We don't have anybody on the roster who plays the 'position' Dear will play. We'll line him up all over the field. You can put him on the field as the sole RB or slot, or you can put him on the field with other RBs and slots.

1bigdawg
07-09-2015, 02:25 PM

In other words, do we perhaps burn some we wouldn't otherwise, knowing we may not use them much, but by having them even a little, we maybe increase our chance of winning it all this year.

I believe our staff is in it for the long haul and expects to have a chance at the NC every year. That said, the odd number years are always our best chance at one, with Bama, LSU and TSUN at home, as well as our power five OOC opponent.

There are four reasons to burn a redshirt. 1) The player is too good to keep off the field. 2) There is a hole that must be filled. 3) The player's talent is such that they are almost certainly not going to be on campus more than four years. 4) The player insists and is willing to do special teams etc. to get on the field.

smootness
07-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Who was our QB in those situations where we had trouble running the ball? Perkins wasn't the primary problem there...

That, and Perkins just wasn't the best short-yardage back. That shouldn't be a problem at all for our backfield this year.

Johnson85
07-09-2015, 03:41 PM
...I think our fans overrate Myles. I think he's a nice player who isn't anything special.

Well people seemed to think highly of Lewis, and Myles is a good bit further ahead than Lewis was at the same time in his career. Other than Lewis having a little better rapport with Dak and being a little better at finding soft spots in zones, Myles was basically as good as Lewis was last year. He was even a little better than Lewis with the ball in his hands; just more decisive and quicker to get up field.

He's not Bear and he's not Fred Ross, but unless it's one of the true or redshirt freshman, he seems like the third best WR we have. Considering Bear will probably end up as the best receiver we've had since Moulds, and Ross could be the best receiver since Moulds other than Kevin Prentiss (and maybe one or two others?), being the third best receiver on this team seems pretty good.

Dawg496
07-09-2015, 03:52 PM
It's gonna be very interesting who starts that third WR spot aside Bear and Ross. Of course we know its likely that Morrow gets the token senior start but Gray or Myles or someone actually plays more snaps and has more production.. kind of like Ross and Robert Johnson last year.

Again I think very highly of Fred Brown I think he's close to putting it together and being a huge target for Dak. He will be in the conversation for the third spot as well.

Coach34
07-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Morrow and Gray are playing oppo Bear I believe with Fred backing up Bear. Ross and Myles in the slot

mic
07-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Just because we list WR at certain positions doesn't mean they won't line up somewhere else..
Esp when we go 4 or 5 wide.. so many options.
Empty backfield with Bear, Ross, Gray, Brown, Morrow is going to almost impossible to defend not to mention you have to account for Dak spreading you out and running the ball..
But yeah we finish last in the west and will be lucky to get to 7 wins....

Ifyouonlyknew
07-09-2015, 04:47 PM
It's gonna be very interesting who starts that third WR spot aside Bear and Ross. Of course we know its likely that Morrow gets the token senior start but Gray or Myles or someone actually plays more snaps and has more production.. kind of like Ross and Robert Johnson last year.

Again I think very highly of Fred Brown I think he's close to putting it together and being a huge target for Dak. He will be in the conversation for the third spot as well.

If Morrow starts it will be because he's earned it. His #'s were better than Brown's last year.

Todd4State
07-09-2015, 04:50 PM
If Morrow starts it will be because he's earned it. His #'s were better than Brown's last year.

Morrow has made his share of big catches and he is a good downfield blocker. Everyone expected him to be a superstar because he was a four star recruit- but that really wasn't fair to him considering where he actually was as a high school player. He has developed into a very solid player.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-09-2015, 05:03 PM
Morrow has made his share of big catches and he is a good downfield blocker. Everyone expected him to be a superstar because he was a four star recruit- but that really wasn't fair to him considering where he actually was as a high school player. He has developed into a very solid player.

Exactly. Joe led the team in YPC at 20.2 & was 3rd in TD's with 4.

Coach34
07-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Stonehands has improved a lot and was a solid WR last year. He will play well this year

Dawg496
07-09-2015, 05:08 PM

I'm not insinuating that Morrow isn't valuable or isn't good. I just think Fred Brown is close to being an excellent option for us.

smootness
07-09-2015, 05:32 PM
Well people seemed to think highly of Lewis, and Myles is a good bit further ahead than Lewis was at the same time in his career. Other than Lewis having a little better rapport with Dak and being a little better at finding soft spots in zones, Myles was basically as good as Lewis was last year. He was even a little better than Lewis with the ball in his hands; just more decisive and quicker to get up field.

He's not Bear and he's not Fred Ross, but unless it's one of the true or redshirt freshman, he seems like the third best WR we have. Considering Bear will probably end up as the best receiver we've had since Moulds, and Ross could be the best receiver since Moulds other than Kevin Prentiss (and maybe one or two others?), being the third best receiver on this team seems pretty good.

I definitely don't think he will be our third best WR. I think Gray, Morrow, and Brown will all be clearly better this year. I think Myles got the time he did because Lewis went down and we had no other real options in the slot last year.

Again, I think Myles is a nice player. He has legit speed, but I haven't seen much else. Lewis was not as fast but more fluid as an athlete and that was everything for him. Lewis' year last year was a wash; you can't consider that to really be Jameon Lewis. I don't ever see Myles putting up a year like Lewis had as a junior.

I hope he proves me wrong, but that's just my opinion.

Todd4State
07-09-2015, 05:33 PM
I'm not insinuating that Morrow isn't valuable or isn't good. I just think Fred Brown is close to being an excellent option for us.

Fred Brown is my boy. I love the swag that he brings ever since he got ejected from the Alcorn State game.

SheltonChoked
07-09-2015, 05:35 PM
The slot receiver is not who the second rb will replace.

I think we will see a lot of 2 rb 0 re sets this year.

It fits our depth at rb and our lack of depth at te.

Todd4State
07-09-2015, 05:36 PM
I definitely don't think he will be our third best WR. I think Gray, Morrow, and Brown will all be clearly better this year. I think Myles got the time he did because Lewis went down and we had no other real options in the slot last year.

Again, I think Myles is a nice player. He has legit speed, but I haven't seen much else. Lewis was not as fast but more fluid as an athlete and that was everything for him. Lewis' year last year was a wash; you can't consider that to really be Jameon Lewis. I don't ever see Myles putting up a year like Lewis had as a junior.

I hope he proves me wrong, but that's just my opinion.

Whomever the slot WR is in Dan's system is going to put up huge numbers every year. It's one of the marquee positions in Dan's offense. It's all about getting mismatches and exploiting them.

I think Myles more than anything needs to work on catching the ball downfield a little bit- he was just a freshman who was switching positions last year so he will be fine.

Todd4State
07-09-2015, 05:38 PM
The slot receiver is not who the second rb will replace.

I think we will see a lot of 2 rb 0 re sets this year.

It fits our depth at rb and our lack of depth at te.

If the spring game is any indication, I think we will throw it a little bit more. That's because our strength is at WR and we have a fifth year senior QB who is a Heisman contender.

smootness
07-09-2015, 06:31 PM
Whomever the slot WR is in Dan's system is going to put up huge numbers every year. It's one of the marquee positions in Dan's offense. It's all about getting mismatches and exploiting them.

I think Myles more than anything needs to work on catching the ball downfield a little bit- he was just a freshman who was switching positions last year so he will be fine.

I just don't think Myles will ever be our primary slot WR.

Coach34
07-09-2015, 06:57 PM
I just don't think Myles will ever be our primary slot WR.

Myles was just a R-Fr last year. He is a good football player with a high football IQ. Fred Ross has more overall talent and will be the starting Slot the next 2 years- but Myles will play alot. He is a glue guy.

At some point our fans are going to realize our staff values the intangibles very highly. We are going to keep starting older guys and guys that do all the little things- or those guys will certainly be in the mix constantly for playing time. Shumpert will be the next example of this. Shumpert will never be the RB Lee or Williams are with the ball in their hands- but Shump knows all the checks, pass blocks like a mf'er, plays tough, leads, etc....and these things will keep him on the field until he graduates.

I seen it dawg
07-09-2015, 07:26 PM
And we have to have the glue to have special seasons.

Todd4State
07-09-2015, 07:41 PM
And we have to have the glue to have special seasons.

See 1998 and 1999 with Barrin Simpson being the glue.